Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

I get you, and I don't know what you do for a living, but "finishing" in the sports sense is a confidence thing, not an effort thing. His mind is a mess right now, and maybe that's him, or Lindy, or his wife/gf, or he reads these boards, or whatever, but the effort definitely is there this season.

I have to finish various projects at work too, but I don't think it's the same thing. One difference is that I don't have to do it in a split second.

I run a Used car dealership in Amherst..And confidence in what you say to a customer and how you close the deal is HUGE..If you say the wrong thing at the wrong time it can cost a salesman a thousand bucks on a good sale..So the right leader who can guide the man in the time of a decision making slot is worth his weight in GOLD....If you cant lead and teach the younger man to make the right call or play at the key moment you cost your team..Chris Drury is that man in his profession..He cant be replaced..Those leaders are few and far between and you pay them what they want if you want to be better than the competition...Usually when you think you can be better off without them time proves otherwise...So disagree with his salary all you want but when crunch time is there and you need him the most who are you gonna play???? A 3 mill Gaustaud or a 8 mill Drury..Ill play and pay the 8 mill Drury every time...I might not like the cost but I will like the outcome much better...If it costs me a 3 or mill Hecht or a 3 or 4 mill Lydman so be it..They arent differnce makers..Drury is...

Scoring goals in the NHL is hard. Really hard. Claiming Vanek's "lack of confidence" is the source of his lack of production this season smacks of fan speak. So many things need to go right to "finish" and it all can get denied by a hot goaltender if you manage to do everything right. Confidence doesn't bury pucks, a string of split-seconds actions and reactions all going your way scores goals. Confidence isn't even on the radar screen.

Whatever the reason, he is routinely missing chances that he had been routinely making for much of the last three years. It's not just seeing a hot goaltender; that would explain a couple of particular cases, but it's far too consistent. Something is off in his head. Call it confidence or "gripping the stick" or whatever, but he's not doing what he used to. Yes, it's hard, really hard, but it was that way for the, what, 118 goals that he scored over the last three years, too.

I run a Used car dealership in Amherst..And confidence in what you say to a customer and how you close the deal is HUGE..If you say the wrong thing at the wrong time it can cost a salesman a thousand bucks on a good sale..So the right leader who can guide the man in the time of a decision making slot is worth his weight in GOLD....If you cant lead and teach the younger man to make the right call or play at the key moment you cost your team..Chris Drury is that man in his profession..He cant be replaced..Those leaders are few and far between and you pay them what they want if you want to be better than the competition...Usually when you think you can be better off without them time proves otherwise...So disagree with his salary all you want but when crunch time is there and you need him the most who are you gonna play???? A 3 mill Gaustaud or a 8 mill Drury..Ill play and pay the 8 mill Drury every time...I might not like the cost but I will like the outcome much better...If it costs me a 3 or mill Hecht or a 3 or 4 mill Lydman so be it..They arent differnce makers..Drury is...

Exactly. It is not effort. It is confidence. And if CD helps that, then fine. But Vanek's problem is not an effort problem.

The salary issue still would need to be addressed. It's way out of line, and even the Rags know that. But there's another thread for that one, and I'll leave it to that thread.

A 3 mill Gaustaud or a 8 mill Drury..Ill play and pay the 8 mill Drury every time...I might not like the cost but I will like the outcome much better...If it costs me a 3 or mill Hecht or a 3 or 4 mill Lydman so be it..They arent difference makers..Drury is...

This team is now in more a of a cap-strapped situations, so while salaries are something that TG has to consider, the cap is a reality that the team needs to look at. Dealing Lydman doesn't help with the cap in the next two years when Drury still gets $7 million. Dealing Hecht would help some in those years, if the Rangers actually would take him, but there's still $3.5 million to make up. Gaustad's cap hit is only $2.3 million, so even if you tag him onto the deal, you might save a million in getting someone close to his skill set to fill in his spot.

This team is now in more a of a cap-strapped situations, so while salaries are something that TG has to consider, the cap is a reality that the team needs to look at. Dealing Lydman doesn't help with the cap in the next two years when Drury still gets $7 million. Dealing Hecht would help some in those years, if the Rangers actually would take him, but there's still $3.5 million to make up. Gaustad's cap hit is only $2.3 million, so even if you tag him onto the deal, you might save a million in getting someone close to his skill set to fill in his spot.

I hear you..The mistakes paying them what they did when they did are what I have a problem with now...Hecht and Lydman in my judgement were horribly overpaid when they were signed to those contracts at the time they signed them.I even will put Pominville in that class.I stated it then when they signed them and I will say it now..They paid more for the wrong players than they shouldve and it cost them in keeping the right players at the right time..Dumont Grier Mckee Drury and Briere all couldve been had for less than they signed for with theyre current teams..We shouldve added to them instead of subtract. As it stands now the only player on this team now we can really build around is a 20 yr old dman and a Goalie who is playing what his contract determines. Other than those 2 no one else is really earning what they are being paid...Roy Vanek Pominville Gaustad Stafford have all shown theyre "potential in spurts but not consistently enuff to warrant theyre paychecks IMO...I was hard on Miller last year, he didnt play up to his contract but this yr he has and he is the reason along with Myers that we are where we are..To many times ROy , Vanek and others who we all claimed were bargains have faltered or dissapeared for giant stretches..I can only wonder how good this team would be if they played to theyre potential....But they havent and it doesnt look like they will..They arent rookies and at this point I think what you see is what you will get..Flashes....

I haven't gotten a rush like that since my GF gave me a shocker.

This made me laugh out loud. Very nice. I'm not even sure what it means, although I've got it narrowed down to 2 or 3 filthy possibilities.

I officially take back all the trashing I did about NHLers playing in the Olympics. The two games I watched today were insanely good. INSANELY GOOD...

+1 on the bolded part, and "I told you so" on the 1st part.

U S A !

U S A !

U S A !

Wow one of the best hockey games I have seen in a while.

It was an All Star lineup with hitting like a Cup Finals game.

I thought it was awesome to see Drury run over to Miller first to celebrate.

I haven't had knots in my stomach like that in two years! Let's hope my stomach has more issues come this spring.

I hope team USA beats them again this tourney so I can talk some smack at the Bill's game this year.

How many would love to have Rafalski (sp?) wearing some Blue and Gold?

GO Team USA!!!

+1

Game thoughts...

- Miller was unbelievable. If RJ was calling the game, he might have had a heart attack during the 3rd period. The save on Iginla was out of this world. :thumbsup:

- I wasn't sad to see Drury leave, but seeing him and Miller come together at games end brought back great memories from the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons. :)

- Canada dominated most of the game and it makes me wonder if Team USA has any chance at a medal without Miller being able to repeat tonight's performance at least two more times.

- I have a man crush on Bobby Ryan.

- It's too bad the Sabres couldn't make a run at Brooks Orpik when he was a FA. He is the physical presence that are desperately lacking.

USA USA USA....

I agree on all of this, except that the USA might not have to play Canada again -- I think I heard one of them say on TV that the USA now has a bye into the 2nd round of the medal round, but Team Canada doesn't, and if Canada wins its first game, it probably gets Russia in the next game (which I think is the quarterfinal).

Holy mackarel that was a great hockey game.

I agree on all of this, except that the USA might not have to play Canada again -- I think I heard one of them say on TV that the USA now has a bye into the 2nd round of the medal round, but Team Canada doesn't, and if Canada wins its first game, it probably gets Russia in the next game (which I think is the quarterfinal).

Yup. Rankings are:

1) USA

2) Sweden

3) Russia

4) Finland

5) Czech Republic

6) Canada

7) Slovakia

8) Switzerland

9) Belarus

10) Norway

11) Germany

12) Latvia

Top 4 get first-round byes. The Czechs play Latvia, Canada plays Germany, Slovakia plays Norway and Switzerland plays Belarus. Teams are not re-seeded after the first round. The US plays the Swiss-Belarus winner, Sweden plays the Slovakia-Norway winner, Russia plays the Canada-Germany winner and Finland plays the Czech-Latvia winner.

At least one of Russia and Canada will not make the semi-finals and, thus, will not medal. The soonest that the US can play Canada (or Russia or Sweden) is the gold-medal game, as we will face the Finland/Czech/Latvia winner in the semis, if we win our quarter-final game.

This might be really stupid but I found it quite interesting. After the game, Miller was waiting for all the players to leave the ice so he could do his little swirl and be the last one off, when Tim Thomas came up and said something to him. He then kinda laughed and left the ice, with Thomas behind him. He wasn't the last one of the ice.

Yup. Rankings are:

1) USA

2) Sweden

3) Russia

4) Finland

5) Czech Republic

6) Canada

7) Slovakia

8) Switzerland

9) Belarus

10) Norway

11) Germany

12) Latvia

Top 4 get first-round byes. The Czechs play Latvia, Canada plays Germany, Slovakia plays Norway and Switzerland plays Belarus. Teams are not re-seeded after the first round. The US plays the Swiss-Belarus winner, Sweden plays the Slovakia-Norway winner, Russia plays the Canada-Germany winner and Finland plays the Czech-Latvia winner.

At least one of Russia and Canada will not make the semi-finals and, thus, will not medal. The soonest that the US can play Canada (or Russia or Sweden) is the gold-medal game, as we will face the Finland/Czech/Latvia winner in the semis, if we win our quarter-final game.

Who could have believed that the US would hold the first seed? And that Russia-Canada would be a quarterfinal game knocking one out of the medals?

The US path to gold could very well be Switzerland, Czech, Russia not nearly as daunting as what Russia or Canada will get.

What a game... I too noticed #39... and Miller did a pretty good Hasek impression.... noice. Kinda like old Sabres hockey with Hasek. Keep the puck out from a dominant team, frustrate them, look for breaks and score on practically every one. Oh and don't let the opposition spend to much time in close. Keep the shots wide... Awesome effort.

This might be really stupid but I found it quite interesting. After the game, Miller was waiting for all the players to leave the ice so he could do his little swirl and be the last one off, when Tim Thomas came up and said something to him. He then kinda laughed and left the ice, with Thomas behind him. He wasn't the last one of the ice.

Not stupid, I said same thing to my wife.."here comes the 360 as he is always last off the ice". She then gave me the wrong and wrong. Oh well, What A Game!!! I can't remember being that nervous in the first period since Carolina game 7.

A 3 mill Gaustaud or a 8 mill Drury..Ill play and pay the 8 mill Drury every time...I might not like the cost but I will like the outcome much better...If it costs me a 3 or mill Hecht or a 3 or 4 mill Lydman so be it..They arent differnce makers..Drury is...

Well, you better hope Drury can get players like Cody McCormick and Mark Mancari to flourish, because those guys will be donning Sabres gear with $20 mill tied up in Vanek, Drury and Miller.

I'm not sure who would take Hecht, let alone the NYR for Drury (as part of a package), and Lydman is a UFA after this season. If the Rangers were looking to unload salary, maybe they'd bite but I'm still leary.

Well, you better hope Drury can get players like Cody McCormick and Mark Mancari to flourish, because those guys will be donning Sabres gear with $20 mill tied up in Vanek, Drury and Miller.

I'm not sure who would take Hecht, let alone the NYR for Drury (as part of a package), and Lydman is a UFA after this season. If the Rangers were looking to unload salary, maybe they'd bite but I'm still leary.

I would bet that the Rags would trade Drury for Jochen straight up.

Yup. Rankings are:

1) USA

2) Sweden

3) Russia

4) Finland

5) Czech Republic

6) Canada

7) Slovakia

8) Switzerland

9) Belarus

10) Norway

11) Germany

12) Latvia

Thanks. Very helpful summary -- and great news that the USA will only have to play one of Canada, Russia and Sweden, and not until the gold-medal game.

I would bet that the Rags would trade Drury for Jochen straight up.

Not if the Rangers make the playoffs and Drury has a big Olympics. The Rangers are all about splashy moves and PR, not about sound hockey decisions.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think the Sabres' only shot at getting him back is if the Rangers miss the playoffs and the Rangers buy him out. (I also don't think the Sabres would be interested in taking him back at his current contract).

Let's talk about the Russians,

At one point yesterday during the PP, I'm pretty sure they have five forwards on the ice: OV, Semin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuck and Malkin... Later in the game they had their base PP lineup, or what I perceived as their base lineup, with Gonchar in for Kovy.

Unreal the talent they have on that team..

At one point yesterday during the PP, I'm pretty sure they have five forwards on the ice: OV, Semin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuck and Malkin... Later in the game they had their base PP lineup, or what I perceived as their base lineup, with Gonchar in for Kovy.

Whether it's the Russian, Canadians or Swedes, if the US makes the gold medal game, then they will have a hard time winning. Even if it's Canada again, they wouldn't be the favorites by any stretch. They got some lucky bounces last night and still basically won by a goal (not to take away anything from the great EN goal, as it was critical in locking up the game with less than a minute left.) The Swiss should beat Belarus, but either way, the US hopefully won't have much trouble in the quarter-finals (the top 7 teams are considered to be significantly better than the last 5.) The Czechs should beat Latvia easily, but the Finland-Czech game will be a good one. Either one would be tough in the semis. The talent level of the US's opponents will go up very quickly over the three rounds.

Whether it's the Russian, Canadians or Swedes, if the US makes the gold medal game, then they will have a hard time winning. Even if it's Canada again, they wouldn't be the favorites by any stretch. They got some lucky bounces last night and still basically won by a goal (not to take away anything from the great EN goal, as it was critical in locking up the game with less than a minute left.) The Swiss should beat Belarus, but either way, the US hopefully won't have much trouble in the quarter-finals (the top 7 teams are considered to be significantly better than the last 5.) The Czechs should beat Latvia easily, but the Finland-Czech game will be a good one. Either one would be tough in the semis. The talent level of the US's opponents will go up very quickly over the three rounds.

I'm not overlooking Switzerland after what I saw them do to Canada.

That Russia-Czech game was also a great hockey game. Still, the USA can (not should, but can) beat either of those teams. I'm a believer.

Also, did anyone notice old Dmitri Kalinin on the Russian team? And did anyone notice a certain #61 on the Russian team KILLING PENALTIES?

I kept gushing at the Red waves yesterday. I know I saw the team list before the Olympics but it didn't hit home to me until watching them yesterday how truly deep they are. Kalinin made an enormous play for them late to save a goal. Max was Max. But holy smokes, they have, IMHO, the scariest lineup ever assembled. Unlike the Canadians, they play as a team too.

I taped the Sweden-Finland game last night. So I'll watch that tonight.

One other point. How good is Crosby? He's playing on a team of Canada's elite and still he, like OV, is the most dominate player on the ice. When he started to skate with the puck up ice, he was flat out flying. He's seemingly everywhere. He's always a step or two away from the play no matter what. Who was there to tap in the goal to get within one? His hockey instincts are truly remarkable. He flat out hustles out there ALL the time.

I lied. Heatley just owns Miller... It's beyond ridiculous how many goals he has scored on Miller. With the exception of the 'run for the Olympic Bus game', he always scores on Miller.

Certainly says a lot about the make up of the Russian team. If Max if one of the most defensively responsible players on the team, what does that say about Kovolchuk or Ovechkin?

I little bit of Lindy can go a long ways when it comes to playing sound defensive hockey.

Archived