Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

Man ... what an incredible game. Hockey is such a tremendous sport when played at the highest level. Bettman should be ashamed he has let the NHL and such great players slip to such an ugly, clutch and grab game. Gary, choke on your own poison!

Man ... what an incredible game. Hockey is such a tremendous sport when played at the highest level. Bettman should be ashamed he has let the NHL and such great players slip to such an ugly, clutch and grab game. Gary, choke on your own poison!

The whole NHL'ers in the Olympics got off to a rocky start, but these are the kinds of games, today, that we'd always hoped we'd see when they announced bringing pros to The Games. Fantastic games today. The balance of talent seems to be so evenly distributed amongst enough countries and these guys are not holding anything back playing for their countries.

The "Dream Team" and NBA All-Star Olympians should take note.

Miller has a "secret" weakness? What would that be, his eye thing everyone here talks about?

I may be the only Canadian in this country that is watching the game and routing for Team Miller

We will sponsor you for citizenship, just based on that.

Now that was some good hockey. Captain clutch and some very good saves by Ryan.

I wonder if Miller will get spoiled with defenseman that clear the crease and hit players that come near him when he's played the puck.

And I thought these games wouldn't have much hitting. No love lost between countries here. Go USA and let's rain on the Canadian parade.

You kidding? They left him out to dry enough times tonight that I thought he might wish he was back in Buffalo. Two calls regarding the crease, one of which resulted in a minor against Canada, and you really think that?

Did I hear Emrick correctly - the US hasn't beaten Canada in an Olympic game since 1960?

That must have been mixed in during storytime. I watched the game tonight; I seldom heard it. He is awful.

I haven't gotten a rush like that since my GF gave me a shocker.

Umm, hate to tell you, but...

Amazing. Very good hockey! I don't know how that empty netter went in...and yes, I could see the "love" between Ryan and Drury. We remarked on it...it kinda made me miss the old days...

Intanglble was on top of Miller as soon as the last whistle blew. Wow. I'm betting NYR doesn't want him; who wants him back and at what price? (And this might become a separate thread.)

Keep the #39!

No; that belongs to someone else. I'll be happy if they hang 30 in the rafters after the Cup this season, though.

Seriously, could Canada be more dominating in this game?

Having said that, Miller kept the US in this early and often.

Not impressed with the officiating. I thought Drury's goal should have been called for goalie interference.

Brodeur has been terrible tonight. Luongo should get the start for Canada next game.

Not over yet, but if the US can pot one here on the PP, it's over.

Clearly Miller has been the star of the game.

As I say that, 4-2. Wow.

I think that the entire Country would riot if that doesn't happen. I don't understand the thinking by team Canada, Luongo gets the shutout in game one, then sits and watches Brodeur have to go to a shootout to beat the Swiss team, then he sits again?

I have been saying it all along, Team Miller will pull off the upset and take the Gold. Canada will continue to disapoint and prove that the Canadian governments $113 million "Own the Podium" campaign wasthe biggest waste of Tax Payer money!

Canada can hold its head up high though, they should get Bronze in Mens hockey, and Gold in the Womans, along with Gold in the Mens and Womens Curling

Game thoughts...

- Miller was unbelievable. If RJ was calling the game, he might have had a heart attack during the 3rd period. The save on Iginla was out of this world. :thumbsup:

- I wasn't sad to see Drury leave, but seeing him and Miller come together at games end brought back great memories from the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons. :)

- The EN goal by Kesler was a superb effort.

- WTF was up with the non-stop music during the game. I felt like I was at a Bandits game. :wallbash:

- Hey Canadian fan..how'd that Miller chant work out for you? :lol:

- Canada dominated most of the game and it makes me wonder if Team USA has any chance at a medal without Miller being able to repeat tonight's performance at least two more times.

- I have a man crush on Bobby Ryan.

- It's too bad the Sabres couldn't make a run at Brooks Orpik when he was a FA. He is the physical presence that are desperately lacking.

USA USA USA....

You kidding? They left him out to dry enough times tonight that I thought he might wish he was back in Buffalo. Two calls regarding the crease, one of which resulted in a minor against Canada, and you really think that?

That must have been mixed in during storytime. I watched the game tonight; I seldom heard it. He is awful.

Umm, hate to tell you, but...

Intanglble was on top of Miller as soon as the last whistle blew. Wow. I'm betting NYR doesn't want him; who wants him back and at what price? (And this might become a separate thread.)

No; that belongs to someone else. I'll be happy if they hang 30 in the rafters after the Cup this season, though.

Make it a thread for real. This needs to be discussed.

Derek Roy for Chris Drury. NYR gets the offense it desperately lacks, the Sabres pick up our former captain and the leadership we desperately need.

Lol, No need, I have Dual Citzenship, my mom is American

And I agree 150%, no to #39 again in Buffalo, that number goes to the rafters, along with #30 after he raises the Cup in Buffalo (maybe not this year, but if they ditch Darcy and bring in a GM willing to make moves to improve the team rather then just play the "Wait for guys to improve with age" approach

Derek Roy for Chris Drury. NYR gets the offense it desperately lacks, the Sabres pick up our former captain and the leadership we desperately need.

Throw in Rivet too, just so theres no debate as to who is the captain. The Rangers can throw in the local boy Girardi (From Paille and Ellis's home town only 25 minutes accross the Border) to even out the position moves

He is a leader no doubt..When we let him go we lost our heart..With that said there is no way NY trades him back to us..Besides that his contract is way too much for Golisano..He would definately help this team..He would be all over Vaneks effort daily...

He is a leader no doubt..When we let him go we lost our heart..With that said there is no way NY trades him back to us..Besides that his contract is way too much for Golisano..He would definately help this team..He would be all over Vaneks effort daily...

I couldn't agree with you more on Drury.

I made a thread regarding the Drury topic. Cut + paste your comments in there guys.

This is something I'd like to explore.

Theres nothing to explore....He wont be traded to us...They are better off burying him on the 4th line than giving us that boost

Vanek's problem is not effort. It's finishing.

Vanek's problem is not effort. It's finishing.

Well I kinda think his lack of effort is showing up in his not finishing..If I have problem at work not finishing a job my boss makes sure I do the necessary things to make sure I finish..Sometimes peer pressure makes you practice harder or bear down when the time is right...Not arguing the point of his overall effort but they pay him to score alot more than he is this yr...A good leader helps his teamates get there...

Well I kinda think his lack of effort is showing up in his not finishing..If I have problem at work not finishing a job my boss makes sure I do the necessary things to make sure I finish..Sometimes peer pressure makes you practice harder or bear down when the time is right...Not arguing the point of his overall effort but they pay him to score alot more than he is this yr...A good leader helps his teamates get there...

I get you, and I don't know what you do for a living, but "finishing" in the sports sense is a confidence thing, not an effort thing. His mind is a mess right now, and maybe that's him, or Lindy, or his wife/gf, or he reads these boards, or whatever, but the effort definitely is there this season.

I have to finish various projects at work too, but I don't think it's the same thing. One difference is that I don't have to do it in a split second.

I get you, and I don't know what you do for a living, but "finishing" in the sports sense is a confidence thing, not an effort thing. His mind is a mess right now, and maybe that's him, or Lindy, or his wife/gf, or he reads these boards, or whatever, but the effort definitely is there this season.

I have to finish various projects at work too, but I don't think it's the same thing. One difference is that I don't have to do it in a split second.

Even then I don't think you have it right (but closer than the ridiculous statement you were replying to).

Scoring goals in the NHL is hard. Really hard. Claiming Vanek's "lack of confidence" is the source of his lack of production this season smacks of fan speak. So many things need to go right to "finish" and it all can get denied by a hot goaltender if you manage to do everything right. Confidence doesn't bury pucks, a string of split-seconds actions and reactions all going your way scores goals. Confidence isn't even on the radar screen.

Now, talk to me when he passes up a shot to dish it off to Mike Grier. Then we can talk lack of confidence.

Ehhh, I think he does have a lack of confidence. Recently, he's come out of the gates flying. Moving his feet, making smart plays and wreaking havoc around the net.

But then he disappears. He'll be strong one period, gone the next. If he gets denied a goal on a good scoring opportunity, we've seen how he takes it out on himself. Perhaps that erodes his self confidence to the point where it affects his effort on the ice.

Even then I don't think you have it right (but closer than the ridiculous statement you were replying to).

Scoring goals in the NHL is hard. Really hard. Claiming Vanek's "lack of confidence" is the source of his lack of production this season smacks of fan speak. So many things need to go right to "finish" and it all can get denied by a hot goaltender if you manage to do everything right. Confidence doesn't bury pucks, a string of split-seconds actions and reactions all going your way scores goals. Confidence isn't even on the radar screen.

Now, talk to me when he passes up a shot to dish it off to Mike Grier. Then we can talk lack of confidence.

Sorry to disagree. Confidence makes the difference between putting the shot under the goalie's stretching leg, or into the pad, IMO.

The sports that I play/played, well, when I'm in the zone, shots go in, touchdown catches are made, spikes get blocked. When not, the miss is only by a quarter inch. And I'm a hack (and as you've seen, hardly in pro athlete shape).

Dishing off a shot to Mike Grier wouldn't be a lack of confidence. It would be giving up.

Archived