Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

I just have to say, a great Canada/Suisse game, a decent US game earlier today, a pretty good women's China/Russia game, and now men's Russia/Slovakia, this has been a pretty good day of hockey.

...and I'm still trying to figure out how NHLers in the Olympics is a bad thing...

Does anyone know how the medal round works? How many teams go forward? Obviously the pool winners go, but that's just 3 teams.

PTR

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this is from the AP game story:

With only a 3-1 victory Tuesday over Switzerland, the U.S. was in danger of tiebreaker problems should it fall to Canada. Four teams clinch spots in the quarterfinals, while the other eight countries will play for the other four spots. Goal differential is a key tiebreaker, so lopsided wins are beneficial.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter/2010/icehockey/men/recap?gameId=844

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this is from the AP game story:

With only a 3-1 victory Tuesday over Switzerland, the U.S. was in danger of tiebreaker problems should it fall to Canada. Four teams clinch spots in the quarterfinals, while the other eight countries will play for the other four spots. Goal differential is a key tiebreaker, so lopsided wins are beneficial.

That was obviously written before Canada only got two points tonight.

Does anyone know how the medal round works? How many teams go forward? Obviously the pool winners go, but that's just 3 teams.

The three pool winners, plus the second-place team with the most points (then goal differential, etc.), each clinch a bye in the first round. The other eight teams, again ordered by points and then differential, play to get into the quarterfinals. I don't believe that they are re-seeded after the first round, so if the 12th-place team beats the fifth, they play the fourth-place team in the quarterfinals.

really? So losing to Canada could eliminate us? Going 2-1 in pool play with your only loss being to team Canada is grounds for not making the quarterfinals?

The way I was told is that The 3 group winners, plus the next best team advance to the medal rounds, while the four last place teams play in a losers bracket to determine placings.

So if US loses to Canada, Canada wins the group, gets ranked number 1. Russia just lost, so who knows who wins that group. And Sweden will probably win their group. That means only one 2-1 team is going to advance... you have the possibility of the US, Finland and Slovakia all being 2-1, in which case goal differential WOULD matter since they wouldn't have played head to head.

Okay according to chacha which isn't a reliable source... top 4 advance.. then the bottom 8 play to advance 4... those 4 combine with the top 4 to form a bracket of 8 that plays for the medals...

Right. And I bet Babcock was mouthing off all fall about how much he learned from Lindy.

I don't know, maybe it's a little more like this. :rolleyes:

LR appeared to be looking over Mikeys shoulder quite abit and more 3rd party to multiple MB/Leclaire discussions than I remember direct discussions w/ Lindy. I did see Lindy jotting down some notes once when huddled with him also saw MB hand Lindy back those papers before going for his water bottle. Maybe the SO lineup, maybe LR was taking dictation, so a left wing lock, is drawn like this right Mike, is that more like a goose or duck wing? Oh smaller ice surface than International, got it duck wing.

I believe that the first tie-breaker is actually head-to-head points, so GD won't factor in who wins the group.

How can you have head-to-head with teams in different pools? I think the "wild card" is determined by record then goal differential. Also I think there is some confusion as to how many teams advance. There are 12 teams in the Olympics, 4 each in 3 pools. 4 teams get a bye. 4 teams get a second chance. 4 teams miss out.

PTR

How can you have head-to-head with teams in different pools? I think the "wild card" is determined by record then goal differential. Also I think there is some confusion as to how many teams advance. There are 12 teams in the Olympics, 4 each in 3 pools. 4 teams get a bye. 4 teams get a second chance. 4 teams miss out.

As I said, it won't factor into "who wins the group." Canada has one less point, so if they beat us, they are at worst tied. In that case, their head-to-head determines who wins the group (pool), as Canada would have won the only head-to-head match. If we win, even in OT, then we win the group on points alone.

Now, after determining who wins our group, then goal differential will factor into the rest of the seeding. Canada has one less point than us, so despite the better goal differential, for the same type of loss (e.g., a US regulation loss vs. a Canadian regulation loss), they are automatically worse off than we would be.

As for what happens after the pool winner are determined, as noted above it goes like this:

1) 3 pool winners get first-round byes and are seeded #1-3 based on points, then goal differential.

2) The best second-place (in their respective pool) team based on points, then goal differential, gets a first-round bye.

3) The remaining 8 teams are ranked #5-12 based on points, then head-to-head (for those in same pool), then goal differential.

4) The bottom 8 play first-round games (#5 vs. #12, #6 vs. #11, etc.) to determine who advances to the quarterfinals.

5) Seeding for the bottom four teams in the quarterfinals is based on the ranking of the better team in the first round (for example, if #12 beats #5, then they become the #5 team and play the #4 team in the quarterfinals.) In other words, they are not re-seeded after the first round.

So, nobody is eliminated and everyone gets a second chance. The round-robin/pool games just determine who gets the four byes and the seeding of each team.

Can't somebody just copy and paste the tournament format from the Olympics web site?

Supreme Court decisions don't get interpreted like this.

Geez.

Not according to Brian Burke:

"I have read the rules," said Brian Burke, Team USA's general manager. "I went to Harvard law school and I'm not sure I understand them."

Super Sunday!!

I'm torn on this game tonight. Altough I would love to see Ryan Miller and Team USA wipe the smug smiles off Crosby and Heatly's faces. I dont see them winning this one. But if they meet in the medal round, It will be USA. Dont ask me why, I just feel it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been watching a lot of the Germany games (they seem to be on at midnight a lot) and, while Hecht has had his chances (mostly his usual backhanders or bad-angle shots), he seems to be not moving a lot. I've never seen him stand still so much during a Sabres game. It also seemed like when one of his linesmates had the puck, he would slide out of scoring position rather than into it. Either it's a system thing or he doesn't really care about playing for Germany.

Although I would love to see Ryan Miller and Team USA wipe the smug smiles off Crosby and Heatly's faces.

Crosby will win it on his second or third attempt in the shootout when it slides off of his stick while trying to cut it back, causing it to dribble past Miller, who was sliding to get position on the intended move. It just always seems like that sort of thing happens for Crosby.

What was NBC thinking, putting USA-Canada on MSNBC in standard def? This matchup should be on NBC in glorious HD. Heck, I'd be OK with it being on CNBC - at least they have a hi-def feed. But I guess figure skating, speed skating, skiing and bobsled (NBC) and men's curling (CNBC) are better picks to put in HD than a marquee men's hockey matchup between the USA and Canada. :wallbash:

What was NBC thinking, putting USA-Canada on MSNBC in standard def? This matchup should be on NBC in glorious HD. Heck, I'd be OK with it being on CNBC - at least they have a hi-def feed. But I guess figure skating, speed skating, skiing and bobsled (NBC) and men's curling (CNBC) are better picks to put in HD than a marquee men's hockey matchup between the USA and Canada. :wallbash:

This is not a medal game, while those contests probably will determine medal winners. I don't have too much of a problem with it as long as the US's medal-round games are on NBC. As for SD vs. HD, Time Warner in Rochester shows the game on MSNBC HD (or maybe it was CNBC HD, I set it to record earlier.)

This is not a medal game, while those contests probably will determine medal winners. I don't have too much of a problem with it as long as the US's medal-round games are on NBC. As for SD vs. HD, Time Warner in Rochester shows the game on MSNBC HD (or maybe it was CNBC HD, I set it to record earlier.)

No MSNBC HD on DirecTV. :wallbash:

Now I am starting to lean toward the opinion that DirecTV is messing with hockey fans.

That being said, I don't care if it's not a medal game. USA-Canada should be on NBC, not MSNBC, USA, CNBC, none of them.

Archived