Trade Target Watch

Calvin

You sure that you have the right Jokinen? I'm not saying that I'd trade Pommer for Jussi or would even rather trade for him than for Olli (talking about different leagues in terms of production), but Jussi actually overachieved in last year's playoffs (remember that game winning goal against NJ with less than a second to go or that game tying goal late in game 7?* I believe he ended up with 3 GWGs.) Olli Jokinen, on the other hand, looks great on paper, but has disappointed several teams (he costs a lot more than Jussi, so his bar has to be a lot higher.) Jussi's also better on faceoffs and, to the discussion at hand, is very good in the shootouts. I mentioned in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one) that I had posted a thread about how I was surprised that he cleared waivers last year before being traded to Carolina. Not a superstar, by any means, but figured the he brought enough for someone to pick him up.

I'm sure. I'm not giving up Jason Pominville for him. The rest of the board, and DR (more importantly, LQ), may feel differently. Pommer has developed into a nice two-way forward, and while his offense hasn't been amazing (it has been ok) this year, he's been pretty freaking solid.

I'm sure. I'm not giving up Jason Pominville for him. The rest of the board, and DR (more importantly, LQ), may feel differently. Pommer has developed into a nice two-way forward, and while his offense hasn't been amazing (it has been ok) this year, he's been pretty freaking solid.

Oh, I wouldn't give up Pommer for either Jokinen (nor do I think that it would take Pommer to get Jussi), but your "he's disappointed before, he'll disappoint again" comment just made me think that you had the wrong one. Very little was expected of Jussi and he overachieved; a lot has always been expected of Olli and he's been classifies a playoff underachiever. In fact, if somebody suggested trading for Olli, I'd expect someone to say that he's always underachieved.

It's pretty simple. He's not worth $5 plus million. If you can dump the four+ remaining years you jump at the chance.

I like this guy on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/NHLSourcesSay

He's been right before, and he typically posts information that is correct or at least realistic. He doesn't post constantly, but that's because I'm sure legit rumors are actually rather hard to come by, as opposed to Hockeybuzz's B.S.

edit: also, website: http://hendrickshockey.com/

Oh, come on now. They're not THAT overrated, are they? ;)

j/k. Honestly, I can't stand hockeybuzz. Eklund has a nasty habit of playing with people's emotions.

a lot has always been expected of Olli and he's been classifies a playoff underachiever. In fact, if somebody suggested trading for Olli, I'd expect someone to say that he's always underachieved.

In his eleven or so years in the league, Olli has been on one playoff team so I don't think he's had enough chances to get any kind of rep in the playoffs. He's known as a highly skilled guy, usually on a very bad team, and a bad character who says bad thing to the press.

It's pretty simple. He's not worth $5 plus million. If you can dump the four+ remaining years you jump at the chance.

At this point, I honestly believe that when looking at the FAB 5, that Roy and Vanek are bigger problems than Pominville. Vanek's play has gone way beyond a "slump/streaky goal scorer" and I am just tired of Roy, who oh by the way probably has the most trade value of anyone from the FAB 5.

This.

He's on pace for an average Pommer year, but this year he's playing the body more, seems stronger and faster.

I would trade Connolly today since there is no way he will be able to keep going at the level he has been.

Good point. Might as well dump Miller and Myers for some future picks since they'll probably not keep going at the level they have been.

:death:

Good point. Might as well dump Miller and Myers for some future picks since they'll probably not keep going at the level they have been.

:death:

Off base. What nobody said is true. Connolly has been nothing short of inconsistent his entire career. If his stock is high, why not move him.

Dragging Miller and Myers into this is a stretch.

I would trade Connolly today since there is no way he will be able to keep going at the level he has been.

I also would trade Roy and Stafford.

If the right players are there in return I would agree with this as well. Just radical enough value to be worth something in a trade but not enough to spoil the chemistry of the team as a whole. Realistically you gotta give to get.

Decent names to be sure, but you can rule out any eastern Europeans coming to play here in Buffalo. This organization has a bad rep with these guys.

You certainly do make a strong case with your argument. I can't see complaining with anything said here.

If you are asking what it would take to actually make it happen, then most likely yes. If you are asking about what the Sabres would actually be willing to give up, then no. There's no way that Darcy is giving up Myers, who they have two more seasons of for spare change, to bring in someone with a $6.5 million cap hit.

I'll go further: there is no way Darcy is trading Myers for any defenseman in the NHL.

+1, although only for a rental -- i.e. not where the Sabres have to take back a different crappy contract in the trade.

At this point, I honestly believe that when looking at the FAB 5, that Roy and Vanek are bigger problems than Pominville. Vanek's play has gone way beyond a "slump/streaky goal scorer" and I am just tired of Roy, who oh by the way probably has the most trade value of anyone from the FAB 5.

I'll agree for this year, but I'm not ready to give up on Vanek yet -- i.e. I wouldn't dump him in a trade for a rental like I might do with Pommer just to get the salary slot. I also wouldn't dump Roy just for the salary slot -- although he's by no means a #1 center or even a consistently reliable player, he's still a good, productive player at a good contract. I would trade Vanek or Roy as a package to get a true stud forward, but this is about as likely to happen as far-fetched trade rumors disappearing from this board.

Souray gives his "list of teams" to Edmonton.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=307623

He's too much money for Sabres. The Kotalik has been syndrome.

I disagree. Souray's contract is large, but the final 2 years of it are pretty respectable. $4.5 million per season. That's not bad for a guy who scored 12-ppg last season. Although, i doubt Sabres would have interest in him because he doesn't fit into the Lindy Ruff style we have going right now.

I'll agree for this year, but I'm not ready to give up on Vanek yet -- i.e. I wouldn't dump him in a trade for a rental like I might do with Pommer just to get the salary slot. I also wouldn't dump Roy just for the salary slot -- although he's by no means a #1 center or even a consistently reliable player, he's still a good, productive player at a good contract. I would trade Vanek or Roy as a package to get a true stud forward, but this is about as likely to happen as far-fetched trade rumors disappearing from this board.

IMO...Any trade of Roy or Vanek would have to wait until the offseason.

Every year we go through the guess which rental the Sabres will pick and every year a no'see'um is selected like Dominic Moore. So realistically there are only two teams in the Eastern Conference and two in the Western Conference that are out of the playoffs. So let's limit our search to the probable sellers..

In Toronto, the UFA choices are: Lee Stempniak, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Matt Stajan, Wayne Primeau, Jamal Mayers, Mike Van Ryn, Garnet Exelby, Vesa Toskala.

In Carolina, the UFA choices are: Ray Whitney, Matt Cullen, Scott Walker, Stephane Yelle, Joe Corvo, Aaron Ward, Niclas Wallin, Manny Legace

In Columbus, the UFA choices are: Fredrik Modin, Raffi Torres, Milan Jurcina.

In Edmonton, the UFA choices are: Fernando Pisani, Mike Comrie, Jason Strudwick.

My interests are bolded..

So, here's TSN's list of the top ten trade prospects. I'm more interested in the last three than anyone in the top seven, unless Kovy is a complete rental at a cheap price (not likely). Also out of those top seven are a couple of Leaves, and I don't think Toronto is going to help the Sabres out.

So, the "bottom three," whom I like, are Souray, Moreau, and Turco. Moreau will be expensive (he's under kx for another year at 1.75, so figure on a prospect or a current player and a decent pick, or more); Souray probably less expensive, and Turco, even less.

In Toronto, the UFA choices are: Lee Stempniak, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Matt Stajan, Wayne Primeau, Jamal Mayers, Mike Van Ryn, Garnet Exelby, Vesa Toskala.

In Carolina, the UFA choices are: Ray Whitney, Matt Cullen, Scott Walker, Stephane Yelle, Joe Corvo, Aaron Ward, Niclas Wallin, Manny Legace

In Columbus, the UFA choices are: Fredrik Modin, Raffi Torres, Milan Jurcina.

In Edmonton, the UFA choices are: Fernando Pisani, Mike Comrie, Jason Strudwick.

My interests are bolded..

I think Stajan would be too expensive. I like the idea of Whitney and/or Cullen. Walker and Ward maybe to add grit. Comrie is interesting, I'd like to see the asking price. I highly doubt any Euro's are coming this way.

Archived