Trade Target Watch

Calvin

good post, would be even better if you took the time to spell Kovalchuk's name correctly....

uote name='static70' date='04 January 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1262626300' post='181490']

Lets call it "spirited" debating as far as the conversation on Kovalchuck goes ;) .

As for the points made on each side of this specific debate on Kovalchuck in Buffalo, all had their merits. All also have a decent counter point to be made as well.

As far as what Ray and Roby said about Kovalchuck, to me and many more like myself, they are just towing the company line, so to speak, on spending gobs of money for talent. I don't see Kovalchuck as an individual who would not listen to and follow instruction from his coaching staff. It is the coaching staff on Atlanta that keeps him out there, and rightfully so, he is a huge talent. How they work it is Atlanta's business. How Buffalo works it is entirely different. Therefore, the comments by Ray and Roby are speculative at best, unless of course, they are directly calling Kovalchuck a nightmare of a hockey player to deal with. Is there any indication that he is like this, in his personality, behavior on or off the ice, his game play...etc...etc...? I think the larger picture on this is being missed here altogether, which is Buffalo needs help scoring. The current roster, although performing above where I expected them has every indication of this. Your star goaltender shouldn't have to call out individuals on this team for anything, is there a rift in the locker room? One never knows for sure unless one is actually in the locker room, so I would say there are currently all indications that the lack of offensive zone pressure, leading to the defensive zone pressures this team faces game after game weigh heavily on Miller's mind. I would go so far as to say (purely speculaiton) that Miller is well aware this team cannot keep it on the offensive side for any length of time in a game and this troubles him because he knows they are so close to contending seriously.

There is a large section of the fan base not remotely satisfied with the strengths in scoring for this current roster. Equally, there is a large portion of the fan base who feel this team can carry the day.

My money is on them not getting very far into the playoffs, and I come to this conclusion based solely on the fact that they do have inept scoring from a truly talented line or 2. But this is not to say this team has not impressed many of us who would like to see a Kovalchuck type player here.

If not Kovalchuck, many people have brought other names to the table that may have the ability to help bolster goals to some extent. No one is asking to have a 5 or 6 goal game every night, I think most of us on the side of inept scoring are asking for a fairly concrete aquisition in order to get that extra breathing room is all.

good post, would be even better if you took the time to spell Kovalchuk's name correctly....

uote name='static70' date='04 January 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1262626300' post='181490']

Lets call it "spirited" debating as far as the conversation on Kovalchuck goes ;) .

As for the points made on each side of this specific debate on Kovalchuck in Buffalo, all had their merits. All also have a decent counter point to be made as well.

As far as what Ray and Roby said about Kovalchuck, to me and many more like myself, they are just towing the company line, so to speak, on spending gobs of money for talent. I don't see Kovalchuck as an individual who would not listen to and follow instruction from his coaching staff. It is the coaching staff on Atlanta that keeps him out there, and rightfully so, he is a huge talent. How they work it is Atlanta's business. How Buffalo works it is entirely different. Therefore, the comments by Ray and Roby are speculative at best, unless of course, they are directly calling Kovalchuck a nightmare of a hockey player to deal with. Is there any indication that he is like this, in his personality, behavior on or off the ice, his game play...etc...etc...? I think the larger picture on this is being missed here altogether, which is Buffalo needs help scoring. The current roster, although performing above where I expected them has every indication of this. Your star goaltender shouldn't have to call out individuals on this team for anything, is there a rift in the locker room? One never knows for sure unless one is actually in the locker room, so I would say there are currently all indications that the lack of offensive zone pressure, leading to the defensive zone pressures this team faces game after game weigh heavily on Miller's mind. I would go so far as to say (purely speculaiton) that Miller is well aware this team cannot keep it on the offensive side for any length of time in a game and this troubles him because he knows they are so close to contending seriously.

There is a large section of the fan base not remotely satisfied with the strengths in scoring for this current roster. Equally, there is a large portion of the fan base who feel this team can carry the day.

My money is on them not getting very far into the playoffs, and I come to this conclusion based solely on the fact that they do have inept scoring from a truly talented line or 2. But this is not to say this team has not impressed many of us who would like to see a Kovalchuck type player here.

If not Kovalchuck, many people have brought other names to the table that may have the ability to help bolster goals to some extent. No one is asking to have a 5 or 6 goal game every night, I think most of us on the side of inept scoring are asking for a fairly concrete aquisition in order to get that extra breathing room is all.

Agreed and I think Dustin Penner may be a cheaper option and there are others that have been mentioned. I would love to see a list of the top ten scorers that Sabres should consider going after and any comments on their availability and cost benefit.... What the Sabres would likely have to give up.

good post, would be even better if you kept reading to see that someone already pointed that out. :nana:

Minor point: it's "Kovalchuk," not "Kovalchuck."

Either way, there is NFW the Sabres are signing anyone to a $100MM contract. I don't think anyone in the NHL will pay Kovy that much, either. I wouldn't be shocked to see $75MM, though.

Now, if the Sabres could get Kovy signed for say, $8MM x 9 years, in exchange for the package you mentioned -- I'd do it in a heartbeat.

If he comes to Buffalo, I'll be sure to look at the back of my brand new Buffalo Sabres Kovalchuk Jersey's to make sure I get it right. ;)

When you run into him down there in Atlanta could you relay the message that Buffalo fans would love him to sign with our team and be the legendary local hero that brought the Stanley Cup to town? Appreciate it :thumbsup:

If he comes to Buffalo, I'll be sure to look at the back of my brand new Buffalo Sabres Kovalchuk Jersey's to make sure I get it right. ;)

When you run into him down there in Atlanta could you relay the message that Buffalo fans would love him to sign with our team and be the legendary local hero that brought the Stanley Cup to town? Appreciate it :thumbsup:

And we'd like a discount on his asking price for elevating his name into the rafters..

And we'd like a discount on his asking price for elevating his name into the rafters..

:beer:

I guess this ends all the Staal trade speculation...

"RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Eric Staal(notes) is taking over as captain of the Carolina Hurricanes.

The team said Wednesday that the 25-year-old All-Star center has replaced veteran Rod Brind’Amour(notes) as team captain.

General manager Jim Rutherford says the switch comes as part of the team’s rebuilding process because “Eric is the player around whom the team will be structured.”

The Hurricanes, who reached the Eastern Conference finals last season, entered Wednesday night’s games with an NHL-worst 35 points.

Brind’Amour had been the captain since 2005 and led the team to its only Stanley Cup in 2006. Rutherford says the 39-year-old will take Staal’s spot as an alternate captain and will continue to hold a leadership role."

Backes possibly to Vancouver (again). Not sure of the feasibility but trading Stafford for Backes would delight me. Not scoring a bunch this year but a player that would help us in the playoffs IMO. Twice as many hits as Goose, can play center. Does StL need a Stafford?

PP man Joni Pitkanen would be sweet too.

This is my first foray into the trade realm so this might be way off. What about going after Kaberle? Maybe for Lydman, prospect, and pick(s). Toronto needs picks and he'd be that PP QB that we need. I know he's got a NTC but Buffalo's not that far away and are a Cup contender.

...but then Lindy would get a hold of him, tell him that he is playing out of control/taking himself out of the play(see Kaleta), and then his hit count would go down dramatically. :thumbdown:

So ur saying we're dead last in # of hits in the league? Oh yeah, we are.

I still like Backes. Or J.Stall. Or OV...

Yup.

Last in total hits, last in on the road hits.

But not last in at home hits! :cry:

http://www.nhl.com/i...e=realTimeStats

Meh. There are other stats that bother me more, like the giveaway/takeaway ratio, which isn't so great. But the most important stat is points, and the Sabres seem to be doing well there.

I love the idea of Stafford for Backes. Chz, get it done.

Hendrick's Hockey has this...

More Phaneuf

If anyone out there believes that Phaneuf isn't on the market, they're an idiot. Phaneuf is being shopped and a couple of Eastern teams are watching him closely. New Jersey is one team who has really stepped up their game as far as Phaneuf is concerned, while it sounds like an unexpected team has joined the mix: Buffalo.

Interesting, but unlikely.

Interesting indeed. How reliable is this site?

Hendrick's has been right in the past. I would say if they're reporting it, then at least there's an outside chance it might actually be true.

Take it with a grain of salt of course, but not such a big grain as Eck.

Wouldn't Myers have to be included in any deal for Pheneuf? :thumbdown:

If you are asking what it would take to actually make it happen, then most likely yes. If you are asking about what the Sabres would actually be willing to give up, then no. There's no way that Darcy is giving up Myers, who they have two more seasons of for spare change, to bring in someone with a $6.5 million cap hit.

Add maybe Jussi Jokinen from Carolina for Pomminstein

4th round pick and G LaLime for Biron

1. Not a value for the Sabres. Jokinen has disappointed before, and he will do so again. No way.

2. The Isles don't want another G, but I don't mind the value for the trade.

EDIT: How about a 4th and a prospect for Biron? The Isles have to be anxious to dump a G and his salary. There are decent players in Portland who never will crack the Sabres roster; if this is our year, why not?

1. Not a value for the Sabres. Jokinen has disappointed before, and he will do so again. No way.

You sure that you have the right Jokinen? I'm not saying that I'd trade Pommer for Jussi or would even rather trade for him than for Olli (talking about different leagues in terms of production), but Jussi actually overachieved in last year's playoffs (remember that game winning goal against NJ with less than a second to go or that game tying goal late in game 7?* I believe he ended up with 3 GWGs.) Olli Jokinen, on the other hand, looks great on paper, but has disappointed several teams (he costs a lot more than Jussi, so his bar has to be a lot higher.) Jussi's also better on faceoffs and, to the discussion at hand, is very good in the shootouts. I mentioned in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one) that I had posted a thread about how I was surprised that he cleared waivers last year before being traded to Carolina. Not a superstar, by any means, but figured the he brought enough for someone to pick him up.

* for fun (only because Carolina didn't win the Cup that year):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIy0h3--Cbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wetkgb54G7Y

Archived