Trade Target Watch

Calvin

Disregard what I said, I definitely posted that shartfaced at 5am. Move along, nothing to see here.

When's the trade deadline this year? If and when we do make a trade, how soon should we do it? We're already into the second half of the schedule..

When's the trade deadline this year? If and when we do make a trade, how soon should we do it? We're already into the second half of the schedule..

3 March 2010 .. Just after the Olympics finishes (12-28 Feb 2010).. Holy distraction Batman.

I think Kozlov was resentful from Day 1 because he was used as a pawn in the Hasek "deal," which seemed to me really shady in retrospect. I read that Hasek specificed that Kozlov be the one to come from Detroit to Bflo because he didn't "respect" him. (maybe Kozlov fooled around with his wife too)

Kozlov despises Ruff for some reason because of his "primitive" style and probably a personality clash. You have to admit, he did well for Buffalo despite all that, until he started getting injured. He must be comfortable in Atlanta with all those Russians. Even though they're perrenial losers, at least he doesn't have to deal with the built-in harsh problems that Buffalo posed for Kozlov, who I'm sure has compared notes with Max and has reported to Kovalchuk...

I think Atlanta's just a better situation for him and sometimes it's better to be on a reasonable loser than a screwed-up situation with a semi-winner.

Not exactly.

He ABSOLUTELY did not want to be in Buffalo, most likely because he was going from a SC favorite to an also ran and had been specifically chosen by Hasek as one of the players Detroit could give up for him. Dom didn't want his coming to Detroit to weaken what they had up front too much.

He was HORRIBLE for the Sabres at the beginning of the season as he was trying to play his way off the team. 4-1-5 and a huge - +/- in 25 games. (He went 16 games w/out scoring a goal and only getting 1 assist.) It is EXTREMELY likely that he was told the Sabres would try to trade him but ONLY IF he actually showed he was worth something to somebody (anybody). He began playing much better 4-12-16 in 13 games and brought his +/- back to even before he got sliced. When he was finally healthy, Buffalo gave him the ticket out of town that he desperately wanted and he more or less ended up turning into Jochen Hecht.

I'm not certain what "built in harsh problems" you are referring to that he faced in Buffalo. He went to a team that actually expected him to play hockey for them. Unfortunately for him, the coach of that team was willing to call him out for not performing when he DIDN'T play hockey for them. (Which is the REAL reason that Kozlov hates Ruff.) The coach was right, as he played VERY well when he decided he wanted to. I don't see where that is a harsh problem. Especially considering that he's been happy on a team that has never won a playoff game since he arrived. If going nearly a decade w/out a playoff game win isn't an issue w/ him, going from a SC champ & contender to the Sabres shouldn't have been an issue either.

Not exactly.

He ABSOLUTELY did not want to be in Buffalo, most likely because he was going from a SC favorite to an also ran and had been specifically chosen by Hasek as one of the players Detroit could give up for him. Dom didn't want his coming to Detroit to weaken what they had up front too much.

He was HORRIBLE for the Sabres at the beginning of the season as he was trying to play his way off the team. 4-1-5 and a huge - +/- in 25 games. (He went 16 games w/out scoring a goal and only getting 1 assist.) It is EXTREMELY likely that he was told the Sabres would try to trade him but ONLY IF he actually showed he was worth something to somebody (anybody). He began playing much better 4-12-16 in 13 games and brought his +/- back to even before he got sliced. When he was finally healthy, Buffalo gave him the ticket out of town that he desperately wanted and he more or less ended up turning into Jochen Hecht.

I'm not certain what "built in harsh problems" you are referring to that he faced in Buffalo. He went to a team that actually expected him to play hockey for them. Unfortunately for him, the coach of that team was willing to call him out for not performing when he DIDN'T play hockey for them. (Which is the REAL reason that Kozlov hates Ruff.) The coach was right, as he played VERY well when he decided he wanted to. I don't see where that is a harsh problem. Especially considering that he's been happy on a team that has never won a playoff game since he arrived. If going nearly a decade w/out a playoff game win isn't an issue w/ him, going from a SC champ & contender to the Sabres shouldn't have been an issue either.

This is correct from top to bottom. Biatch-y-slav did not want to be here. And Taro's first sentence is important: Hasek specifically singled him out as expendable, from the Detroit roster. That's gotta sting.

Wow, that's close. Almost no time at all to make corrections after the break, or if people get injured at the Olympics!

Not making it to the gold medal game doesn't even help that much in terms of the players getting back. The semifinals are on the 26th, the bronze medal game on the 27th and the gold medal game on the 28th.

Eck's latest -

On Matt Cullen...

Another Cane chip, Matt is the kind of player who makes a difference in a long playoff run. He is versatile. I have heard Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, and Vancouver

On Owen Nolan...

Owen has always been a personal favorite of mine, so I am very much enjoying his emergence. He is the Bill Guerin of this year's deadline to a degree. I say "to a degree" because Minnesota is in a really interesting spot. The Wild have major decisions to make here over the next 49 days. If they feel they can take a run then Nolan of course stays, but if they can't the Wild only have 10 of their starters under contract for next year and more UFAs (8) who are playing serious roles. Guys like Clutterbuck and Latendresse are RFAs and will be up for serious pay raises. I have heard San Jose (which would be cool), Washington, and Buffalo

On Marek Svatos....

I still believe in Marek Svatos. And I am not alone. This may be a stretch, but Svatos reminds me in some odd ways of Prospal. He was highly touted early, had some success, has fallen off in terms of the role we expected of him, but he could, like Prospal, have another legit NHL career ahead of him elsewhere. I am hearing Buffalo, Boston and Toronto (who may just wait to sign him in the offseason if he isn't moved)

You have been warned on who to not hold your breath for ;-)

Buccigross is going through each team and what it would take to get the Ilya deal done....Here's what he had to say about Buffalo:

Proposed trade: Kovalchuk and Kubina for Thomas Vanek, Zack Kassian and a first-round pick

Vanek will turn 26 on Jan. 19. This deal could make sense because Vanek has a $7.1 million cap number for four more seasons after 2009-10. Even if the Sabres didn't re-sign Kovalchuk, which they probably wouldn't, they would get a player who would electrify the city and team and could be a difference-maker for the playoffs. They'd also get depth at defense in Kubina, and they'd have the cap room for the summer to add a free agent or trade for Brian Campbell! Atlanta would get a 26-year-old forward who before this season scored 109 goals in the previous three seasons (Kovalchuk had 137). And although Vanek's cap number is $7.1 million, his actual salary is $6.4 million for four years because the deal was front-loaded. Kassian, the Sabres' first draft pick in June, is off to a slow start.

Linky

Buccigross is going through each team and what it would take to get the Ilya deal done....Here's what he had to say about Buffalo:

Linky

My initial reaction was that is lopsided in favor of Atlanta. After I've had a chance to consider it further my reaction is that is lopside in favor of Atlanta. Buffalo gets two rentals for a playoff run and gives up a signed 40 goal scorer and a potential 25-30 goal scorer. And oh yeah, a draft pick.

I'd imagine this is the type of thing you'd have to do to get in the derby. Pass.

My initial reaction was that is lopsided in favor of Atlanta. After I've had a chance to consider it further my reaction is that is lopside in favor of Atlanta. Buffalo gets two rentals for a playoff run and gives up a signed 40 goal scorer and a potential 25-30 goal scorer. And oh yeah, a draft pick.

I'd imagine this is the type of thing you'd have to do to get in the derby. Pass.

I don't like this proposal, either. I'm not sure that major changes are needed at all. Maybe some prospects for depth; maybe a role-player for a 25-goal scorer or puck-moving defenseman whose contract is up. These types of deals usually are available at the deadline. That's as far as I would go.

Eck's latest -

On Matt Cullen...

Another Cane chip, Matt is the kind of player who makes a difference in a long playoff run. He is versatile. I have heard Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, and Vancouver

Cullen is a center by trade - and I wouldn't really consider him an upgrade over either Roy or Connolly. Bringing him in would force one of the 3 to be pushed to wing, which I don't think will help much.

On Owen Nolan...

Owen has always been a personal favorite of mine, so I am very much enjoying his emergence. He is the Bill Guerin of this year's deadline to a degree. I say "to a degree" because Minnesota is in a really interesting spot. The Wild have major decisions to make here over the next 49 days. If they feel they can take a run then Nolan of course stays, but if they can't the Wild only have 10 of their starters under contract for next year and more UFAs (8) who are playing serious roles. Guys like Clutterbuck and Latendresse are RFAs and will be up for serious pay raises. I have heard San Jose (which would be cool), Washington, and Buffalo

Strictly as a rental for the playoffs and no more, I'd be OK with Nolan only because he adds some bulk on the wing and in front of the net, which can help the PP and in the playoffs when garbage goals become even more prevalent. He's also a proven leader, which is never a bad thing to add down the stretch and into the playoffs. But, at age 38, I wouldn't consider him beyond this season.

In the same category of older veterans and pending UFAs like Nolan, Whitney (38) is on everyone's list but Stillman (38) won a Cup in Carolina and is a proven specialty-teams player.

On Marek Svatos....

I still believe in Marek Svatos. And I am not alone. This may be a stretch, but Svatos reminds me in some odd ways of Prospal. He was highly touted early, had some success, has fallen off in terms of the role we expected of him, but he could, like Prospal, have another legit NHL career ahead of him elsewhere. I am hearing Buffalo, Boston and Toronto (who may just wait to sign him in the offseason if he isn't moved)

A few years ago when Biron was in the rumor mill, I recall reading from both Buffalo and Colorado media that the Sabres were looking into Svatos. He has speed and creativity but I'd worry that in the Sabres' present system of defense-first, Svatos would struggle just as much as Afinogenov did. He's also a bit on the small side, which wouldn't help a PP unit that already uses Roy and Kennedy.

Personally, if media reports about players that have fallen out of favor with their current teams/coaches can be trusted, my preference would be Chris Higgins (27, $2.25M and UFA in summer). For whatever reason, he hasn't won Tortorella over in NY but is a proven two-way winger with a good work ethic from his years in Montreal. He's still young enough to bounce back, can play both specialty teams and was a character player for the Habs; my hunch is that he could be had right now fairly cheaply in a 1-for-1 swap (MacArthur?) or even for draft pick/prospect. Although I wouldn't look at him as a rental, if things didn't work out, he's also a pending UFA that the Sabres could opt to walk away from in the summer if they think Gerbe, Ennis or some other prospect is a better option next season.

I think a PP quarterback is the most urgent need for Buffalo but just can't see how they'd work in another defenseman without dumping one of their present top 6 (all of whom Ruff and Regier seem to be happy with). Even if they would possibly trade Lydman to free up a spot, it just seems that Ruff is willing to stay patient and let Myers & Butler grow into that role.

I think a PP quarterback is the most urgent need for Buffalo but just can't see how they'd work in another defenseman without dumping one of their present top 6 (all of whom Ruff and Regier seem to be happy with). Even if they would possibly trade Lydman to free up a spot, it just seems that Ruff is willing to stay patient and let Myers & Butler grow into that role.

Well, strictly speaking, that player doesn't necessarily *have* to be a defenseman though?

We've already seen plenty of Pominville on the point, so I don't see why another forward couldn't take his place?

Somewhat like '99 when they picked up Juneau.

Not exactly.

I'm glad I got you thinking. It seems as Kozlov hates Bflo for some reason, and is a thorn in the side of the Sabres. I still find it hard to understand how an athlete (Hasek) who's getting traded, called the shots in the trade. That seems unbelieveable to me. Even so, I hope Buffalo can retire his jersey soon and bury the hatchet. Hasek was unbelieveable for us. Kozlov was the fall guy, the pawn, in some kind of raw deal. I'm sure he's found a good life in Atlanta, even though the team has a futile history. You never know how things stack up from year to year. They're doing well this year. As for Detroit, I heard they've been shut out seven times this year already, including 6-0 to the Islanders the other night.

I'm glad I got you thinking. It seems as Kozlov hates Bflo for some reason, and is a thorn in the side of the Sabres. I still find it hard to understand how an athlete (Hasek) who's getting traded, called the shots in the trade. That seems unbelieveable to me. Even so, I hope Buffalo can retire his jersey soon and bury the hatchet. Hasek was unbelieveable for us. Kozlov was the fall guy, the pawn, in some kind of raw deal. I'm sure he's found a good life in Atlanta, even though the team has a futile history. You never know how things stack up from year to year. They're doing well this year. As for Detroit, I heard they've been shut out seven times this year already, including 6-0 to the Islanders the other night.

But he did. It's this: Either Hasek waives his NTC on his own terms, or the Sabs can pay him 8.5M to perform as he sees fit, and watch him leave at the end of the year. And that's what went down.

And still, his sweater number belongs in the rafters (especially now that the honor is a little cheaper than it was before).

Slightly off topic, but certainly related and not worth making its own thread for: what the heck happened to sportsnet.ca's player profiles?

Here's an example of what they give now. Nothing more than the basic stats that are provided by 100 different sites.

They used to give strengths, weaknesses and career outlook in a little table, a full list of transactions and injuries, and those basic stats. They weren't always 100% correct, sometimes a little dated, but they were good enough to get a rough idea about a guy. Now, there's nothing like it left. If you haven't seen enough of a player, you can only look at stats and YouTube. :cry:

Slightly off topic, but certainly related and not worth making its own thread for: what the heck happened to sportsnet.ca's player profiles?

Here's an example of what they give now. Nothing more than the basic stats that are provided by 100 different sites.

They used to give strengths, weaknesses and career outlook in a little table, a full list of transactions and injuries, and those basic stats. They weren't always 100% correct, sometimes a little dated, but they were good enough to get a rough idea about a guy. Now, there's nothing like it left. If you haven't seen enough of a player, you can only look at stats and YouTube. :cry:

I always enjoyed those player profiles. I haven't been to the site in a while and didn't realize they have scaled back. :thumbdown:

In my opinion, the Sabres have two major needs come playoff time. I think the Sabres need a centerman who can win faceoffs along the second or third line allowing Connolly or Kennedy to play wing because those two are absolutely worthless on faceoffs. Kennedy is much more so worthless on faceoffs than Connolly, but both are pretty bad. Given that need, I like the idea of trading for Cullen or some other rental center. In fact, I would not be opposed to bringing Dominic Moore back again for a playoff run. I don't think a major trade is needed, but another center who can help on faceoffs on the top 3 lines.

The second major need I think is to acquire a PP QB like others have mentioned. I think Souray would be a good addition and he can play with Rivet as his partner as I think they used to play together in Montreal. However, Souray's contract is pretty expensive and he might cost too much. John Michael Liles brings the same skillset at a cheaper price tag. He's also been in Joe Sacco's doghouse recently, so this is a trade that could actually happen. Others have mentioned Marek Zidlicky, who might be a good, cheap, rental option.

I would not want to rock the boat too much, so I'd look for cheap rental options and use Toni Lydman as trade bait as he's an impending UFA and he will likely fetch some value on the trade market. I would not trade Tallinder right now given the chemistry with Myers. Aside from Lydman and Tallinder, there are really no other UFAs who will fetch value on the open market or who should be traded. For example, I wouldn't want to trade Ellis or Grier, and given Paetsch and Mair were both put on waivers and nobody claimed either of them, they clearly have no trade value. So really, you're left with Tallinder and Lydman who have trade value, and I wouldn't trade Tallinder now given what I stated before. So, the Sabres can really only trade Lydman, picks, and prospects right now. Since the team has played really well so far, I would not make too many trades to upset the chemistry of the team. I'd go with some cheap rental options to add some faceoff depth and PP QB and this team is set.

In my opinion, the Sabres have two major needs come playoff time. I think the Sabres need a centerman who can win faceoffs along the second or third line allowing Connolly or Kennedy to play wing because those two are absolutely worthless on faceoffs. Kennedy is much more so worthless on faceoffs than Connolly, but both are pretty bad. Given that need, I like the idea of trading for Cullen or some other rental center. In fact, I would not be opposed to bringing Dominic Moore back again for a playoff run. I don't think a major trade is needed, but another center who can help on faceoffs on the top 3 lines.

I won't dispute that the faceoff success of all the centers other than Gaustad worries me but bringing in another center just for that area bothers me more because it would force one of either Roy, Connolly or Gaustad to play wing - a position that I think all 3 are not best equipped to play.

The second major need I think is to acquire a PP QB like others have mentioned. I think Souray would be a good addition and he can play with Rivet as his partner as I think they used to play together in Montreal. However, Souray's contract is pretty expensive and he might cost too much. John Michael Liles brings the same skillset at a cheaper price tag. He's also been in Joe Sacco's doghouse recently, so this is a trade that could actually happen. Others have mentioned Marek Zidlicky, who might be a good, cheap, rental option.

Of the two (Souray and Liles), Souray is the more proven PP performer - and both are mediocre at best in their own end. The salaries are much closer than you suggest - Souray (32) has 2 more years remaining on his contract at $4.5M apiece while Liles (28 years old) has 2 more years at $4.4M and $4.5M. Regier isn't foolish enough to trade for a PP specialist that costs $4.5M but is a liability in his own end. There's a reason both are being anxiously shopped by their current teams - both have been poor producers this year in the one-dimensional role they are noted for. To me, if a PP QB is going to be had via a defenseman, Zidlicky makes more sense as a rental. He's a pending UFA that the Sabres can walk away from if needed; given how Ruff and Regier seem determined to let Butler and Myers prove themselves with time on the PP, I'd expect the Sabres to view Zidlicky as just that.

I would not want to rock the boat too much, so I'd look for cheap rental options and use Toni Lydman as trade bait as he's an impending UFA and he will likely fetch some value on the trade market. I would not trade Tallinder right now given the chemistry with Myers. Aside from Lydman and Tallinder, there are really no other UFAs who will fetch value on the open market or who should be traded. For example, I wouldn't want to trade Ellis or Grier, and given Paetsch and Mair were both put on waivers and nobody claimed either of them, they clearly have no trade value. So really, you're left with Tallinder and Lydman who have trade value, and I wouldn't trade Tallinder now given what I stated before. So, the Sabres can really only trade Lydman, picks, and prospects right now. Since the team has played really well so far, I would not make too many trades to upset the chemistry of the team. I'd go with some cheap rental options to add some faceoff depth and PP QB and this team is set.

Although he's soft-spoken and not often quoted, I have the sense that Lydman is very popular with his teammates - and it shouldn't be discounted that he has been an integral part of this team since the lockout. I don't disagree that with him being a pending UFA, the Sabres won't bring him back next season when they have Sekera and Weber that need regular NHL ice time - but I think that dealing him now before the season ends would do exactly what you're afraid of: rock the boat.

My gut feeling is that any move the Sabres make will be along the lines of a "tweak" or two where a specialist or role player with playoff experience would be brought in for the short-term (either as a pure rental to be let go in the offseason or a player with a year remaining on his existing contract) and that the Sabres wouldn't give up more than draft picks or possibly a fringe player like MacArthur, Mair or Paetsch for.

I can't see Lydman being much of a chip in a trade like that. The team making that move is most likely looking to the future. They don't get that with Lydman. If the Sabres wind up making a move like that, I get the feeling that a guy like Sekera would have to be part of the return instead.

With the year Miller is having they may not have a better chance at challenging for a Cup for years to come. If the Sabres don't strike while the iron is hot we will all regret it. That said, I don't think there is anyway Atlanta would make that trade. Kassian is not a "potential" 25-30 goal scorer. And Vanek's $7.1 cap hit for his 12 goals will probably run teams off. The Sabres would probably have to add a Sekera or Butler to get Atlanta's attention.

But he did. It's this: Either Hasek waives his NTC on his own terms, or the Sabs can pay him 8.5M to perform as he sees fit, and watch him leave at the end of the year. And that's what went down.

And still, his sweater number belongs in the rafters (especially now that the honor is a little cheaper than it was before).

I mostly agree but I think Dom's threat was more that he would retire if he weren't traded, not that he would play in a half-hearted manner for the last year of his contract.

Since we're discussing it, I had no problem with Dominik forcing the trade. The Sabres at that point were a Mickey Mouse organization, and Dom knew he didn't have much time left. He wanted to win the Cup, and he knew, after they refused to pay Peca and didn't bring in anyone else, that there was no chance of that happening in Buffalo.

I can't see Lydman being much of a chip in a trade like that. The team making that move is most likely looking to the future. They don't get that with Lydman. If the Sabres wind up making a move like that, I get the feeling that a guy like Sekera would have to be part of the return instead.

+1

With the year Miller is having they may not have a better chance at challenging for a Cup for years to come. If the Sabres don't strike while the iron is hot we will all regret it. That said, I don't think there is anyway Atlanta would make that trade. Kassian is not a "potential" 25-30 goal scorer. And Vanek's $7.1 cap hit for his 12 goals will probably run teams off. The Sabres would probably have to add a Sekera or Butler to get Atlanta's attention.

So you would support trading Vanek for a Kovy rental? I can't agree. I've been plenty critical of Vanek, but all the same, I expect him to average 35+ goals per year for his career, and there just aren't many guys like that in the NHL. Once you've got one, you don't let him go. I also think Atlanta won't get offered anything near Vanek (let alone Vanek plus Kassian). Ottawa got much less than that for Heatley, and he is under contract for another 4 years after this one.

Now, if you were to tell me that trading Vanek for Kovy would guaranty us a Cup -- that's another story. But while I think the Sabres would be a better team, I don't think it would make them head-and-shoulders better than the rest of the Cup contenders. Kovy has never done a thing in the playoffs. This could change, but right now, he's not Crosby or Malkin.

I don't think it would make them head-and-shoulders better than the rest of the Cup contenders.

That would still be Miller's job. I think Kovi improves the team enough to widen Miller's margin of error.

I think Thomas Vanek is a great goal scorer. I didn't mind when they signed him. Watching Vanek this year I don;t know if he can create the offense other big ticket stars can. He is more of a Richard Martin than a Perreault. He may just be a finisher.

I don't know if adding a Kovi can bring this team a Cup. I do know if they stand pat there will be no Cup. Tiis is just one option that is being discussed. If there are options out there that do not involve Vanek but still will impact this teams offense I would be glad to hear and discuss.

From http://www.hendrickshockey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1755:nhl-rumor-update-jan14&catid=40:the-rumors&Itemid=86

"-Just a quick update on what I have heard. The Thrashers and the Kings are starting to have interesting talks about Ilya Kovalchuk. The Kings are looking to include Alexander Frolov in the trade. They will meet with his agent in February to try and sign him to a deal. He is a UFA at the end of the season.

-The Nashville Predators may dangle goaltender Dan Ellis at the trade deadline for some scoring help, and if he isn't traded then, expect a trade to be done by July 1. The Nashville Predators believe Pekka Rinne is the best of the two and are looking at their future options.

Thanks,

nhlrumor"

Archived