Trade Target Watch

Calvin

I'm not trying to be snarky -- OK, maybe I am, deep down. But do you, and others who play hockey recreationally, think your experience has any application to a discussion of the NHL?

It's a reasonable argument to say that us rec players shouldn't be able to compare our experiences to the pros, but I think it's wrong. The basics of hockey don't change as skill level increases. The only difference between the NHL and us beer-leaguers is that the pros have achieved talent levels that we could only dream of. The basics of being able to see the shot and staying square to the puck don't change. The basics of stick handling, skating and positional play don't differ. Skill level and experience is the only difference and I have no doubt that Ryan Miller hates crazy deflections off his D-men as much as I do. The only difference is he has a much better chance of making the save. :)

TSN:

The New York Islanders have placed veteran defenceman Brendan Witt on waivers.

Witt, 34, was activated off injured reserve this week after sitting out most of last month with a knee injury.

Witt has two goals and five points in 42 games this season. If he clears waivers after 24 hours, the club will likely send him to their American Hockey League affiliate in Bridgeport.

3 million salary.

We may as well bring Derian Hatcher out of retirement if the goal is to add an overpriced neanderthal with no skating ability.

Ryder is available from Boston according to TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/story/?id=308780

Don't know if he would be a good fit for Buffalo. He is a RWer and has put up some numbers early in his career. Looking at those numbers, he's only had an off year or 2, I have to wonder if that was based on who he was playing with.

Also, there is a knock on him in Boston about his defensive play, but the fans in Montreal say they were sorry to see him go and he is a goal scorer.

Any thoughts on him?

Aside from his breakout season in Montreal, Ryder's career has been marked by long scoring droughts and short scoring bursts. Isn't that the same dilemma the Sabres have with a lot of their forwards now? At $4M, Ryder isn't an upgrade.

I'm not trying to be snarky -- OK, maybe I am, deep down. But do you, and others who play hockey recreationally, think your experience has any application to a discussion of the NHL?

It's the same game, just much much,...much much,.. much slower.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308800

Kovalchuk to be traded very soon.

Boston, New Jersey, Rangers, Philadelphia, Calgary, Chicago and L.A. all in the hunt.

Despite the hoopla about a bidding frenzy, I can't see any of the teams mentioned having a realistic shot at him other than LA. The Rangers, Flyers and Hawks don't have the cap room and the Flames, Devils and Bruins don't have enough young assets to trade with. Maybe if Boston were to offer up the # 1 pick they got from Toronto for Kessel, along with the rumored 2-3 young stars (i.e. Lucic, Krejci) that Atlanta wants, they have a remote chance. Still, by most accounts, the Kings look like the best option for Kovalchuk in terms of dollars, culture and current roster makeup. If Lombardi can manage to swing such a trade without giving up Kopitar, imagine that tandem with him centering Kovalchuk.

Vancouver has suspended talks with Kesler, Raymond and Mitchell until the end of the season - link

This is only to avoid the distraction for now, where have we heard that before

Kesler is going to go high, and Raymond I don't know much about

From fantasy leagues I do know Mitchell swallows up monster minutes and will be a UFA at the end of the season - is it worthwhile making a play for him?

Despite the hoopla about a bidding frenzy, I can't see any of the teams mentioned having a realistic shot at him other than LA. The Rangers, Flyers and Hawks don't have the cap room and the Flames, Devils and Bruins don't have enough young assets to trade with. Maybe if Boston were to offer up the # 1 pick they got from Toronto for Kessel, along with the rumored 2-3 young stars (i.e. Lucic, Krejci) that Atlanta wants, they have a remote chance. Still, by most accounts, the Kings look like the best option for Kovalchuk in terms of dollars, culture and current roster makeup. If Lombardi can manage to swing such a trade without giving up Kopitar, imagine that tandem with him centering Kovalchuk.

Waddell has said that he will not trade Kovy with a pre-cooked extension as part of the deal. So that means that anyone trading for him will be doing so as a rental only -- so there is NFW anyone is giving up a high #1 pick for him, let alone someone like Lucic.

Vancouver has suspended talks with Kesler, Raymond and Mitchell until the end of the season - link

This is only to avoid the distraction for now, where have we heard that before

Kesler is going to go high, and Raymond I don't know much about

From fantasy leagues I do know Mitchell swallows up monster minutes and will be a UFA at the end of the season - is it worthwhile making a play for him?

I would love either Kesler or Mitchell for the Sabres, but I don't think either will be traded. Kesler is an RFA, and the team captain, so I highly doubt Vancouver will trade him. Probably the same is true of Mitchell -- he's a top pairing guy for them, and they have designs on a playoff run, so it's unlikely they'll trade him.

Buffalo should offer the following deal:

To Buf

Kovalchuck

Afinogenov

To Atl

Stafford

MacArthur

2010 1st and 4th rd picks

Atlanta gets 2 young 2nd line forwards and picks to build the future with.

Buffalo has a coup with this. Many fans in Buf loved Max while he was here and Kovy loves to play with him. Stick them with Roy at Center move Vanek to LW with Connolly and Pommers.

Marketing coup with the return of Max and Kovy for the cup run, instantly increases scoring and makes them immediate contenders with Wash. and Pitt.

If Darcy had any care for his job, he would make it happen.

Buffalo should offer the following deal:

To Buf

Kovalchuck

Afinogenov

To Atl

Stafford

MacArthur

2010 1st and 4th rd picks

Atlanta gets 2 young 2nd line forwards and picks to build the future with.

Buffalo has a coup with this. Many fans in Buf loved Max while he was here and Kovy loves to play with him. Stick them with Roy at Center move Vanek to LW with Connolly and Pommers.

Marketing coup with the return of Max and Kovy for the cup run, instantly increases scoring and makes them immediate contenders with Wash. and Pitt.

If Darcy had any care for his job, he would make it happen.

:lol: I'm not sure if this was meant to be funny or not.

But I enjoyed the post.

The cap room issue is easily dealt with by the players heading back. I do agree, though, that he may go to LA with Vancouver as the dark horse and Boston as the really big dark horse...

I think Edmonton is gearing up for a big selloff. I would like to see Horcoff come here, I think he would fit this teams style, and while he is not a huge star he is a proven player. He does have a bigger contract at 5.5 a year. However sending Lydman in a package takes care of some of that. Maybe Mac, Lydman, and a 2nd round pick. They essantially get a high pick and a thirdline forward while clearing out some salary. We get a topsix forward with a bigger contract who is good on faceoffs. We could toss in Weber if need be since we have alot of young D-men.

His salary is constrictive. Also, Mac being a RFA at the end of the year could cloud things.

TSN:

The New York Islanders have placed veteran defenceman Brendan Witt on waivers.

Witt, 34, was activated off injured reserve this week after sitting out most of last month with a knee injury.

Witt has two goals and five points in 42 games this season. If he clears waivers after 24 hours, the club will likely send him to their American Hockey League affiliate in Bridgeport.

3 million salary.

Funny that he goes on waivers now, because when I saw the Boynton post my immediate reaction was that the poor man's Brendan Witt was now available. Disregarding salary hits, I now see absolutely no one wanting Boynton - why get even slower version of thuggish pylon when the original (sorry Darien, but you've been out of the league long enough that the mantle has been passed) is available?

For the record, I don't see anyone wanting Witt either.

Is Hal Gill getting nervous?

Despite the hoopla about a bidding frenzy, I can't see any of the teams mentioned having a realistic shot at him other than LA. The Rangers, Flyers and Hawks don't have the cap room and the Flames, Devils and Bruins don't have enough young assets to trade with.

Uh...wouldn't the aforementioned teams be dealing salary back to Atlanta. Plenty of players to choose from:

NYR - Gaborik (7.5), Drury (7.0), Redden (6.5), Rozival (5.0)

PHI - Briere (6.5), Richards (5.75), Gagne (5.25), Carter (5.0), Hartnell (4.2), Timmonen (6.33)

CHI - Campbell (7.1)

so there is NFW anyone is giving up a high #1 pick for him, let alone someone like Lucic.

:thumbsup:

###### it! Why not Kovalchuk for the Sabres. Are we so brainwashed by the current front office that when a impact player becomes available we make excuses why he "isn't a good fit for this team." Or are we resigned to the fact our GM is incapable of making a impact move. I'm not looking for the "sexy move." I'll take cute, chubby and a good personality at this point.

Kovalchuk would be the Sabres best player if brought in. He is twice, if not three of four times, the impact player that any forward on the current roster is. Take Miller and Myers off the table and make a offer to the Thrashers. And please, no bullsh!t about how good this team is. Bring in Kovalchuk and a get a fourth defenseman and make a serious run at the cup. Some veteran role guy isn't getting the job done. If you have to blow up the roster so be it. The current roster isn't good enough to win a Stanley Cup and that is the only standard that should be used.

###### it! Why not Kovalchuk for the Sabres. Are we so brainwashed by the current front office that when a impact player becomes available we make excuses why he "isn't a good fit for this team." Or are we resigned to the fact our GM is incapable of making a impact move. I'm not looking for the "sexy move." I'll take cute, chubby and a good personality at this point.

Kovalchuk would be the Sabres best player if brought in. He is twice, if not three of four times, the impact player that any forward on the current roster is. Take Miller and Myers off the table and make a offer to the Thrashers. And please, no bullsh!t about how good this team is. Bring in Kovalchuk and a get a fourth defenseman and make a serious run at the cup. Some veteran role guy isn't getting the job done. If you have to blow up the roster so be it. The current roster isn't good enough to win a Stanley Cup and that is the only standard that should be used.

You do realize that Kovalchuk would not have anywhere near the impact in terms of scoring that he had in Atlanta, right? His TOI would go from 22+ minutes a game to 18+, Lindy would insist he play at least a little defense and he would become disgruntled within a few weeks.

IMO...This is never going to happen nor should it. He is not going to turn the Sabres into a serious Cup contender.

Sorry...I don't get the Leopold <-> Drury comparison at all. :blink:

either player would provide some needed energy. drury because of his leadership ( his low key demeanor seems to work really well in this town); leopold because the offensive spark he would bring from his ability to quarterback the powerplay would really IMO bring this team to a whole different level. he is mobile, not a BIG hitter but can throw his body around when he needs to... but overall his offense is what will most benefit the club...

A good hockey team is more than the sum of its parts. As tempting as it is to "blow up the roster," it almost never works. Look at Montreal and the Rangers.

I wouldn't mind trading for Kovy, but I certainly wouldn't give up, say, Vanek, Butler and Kassian for him. Pommer and a #1? Now you're talking.

You do realize that Kovalchuk would not have anywhere near the impact in terms of scoring that he had in Atlanta, right? His TOI would go from 22+ minutes a game to 18+, Lindy would insist he play at least a little defense and he would become disgruntled within a few weeks.

IMO...This is never going to happen nor should it. He is not going to turn the Sabres into a serious Cup contender.

however, if lindy lets kovi be kovi and play offense and play high in the zone when on the D, he could definitely be a HUGE impact player for us...lets not forget that he would probably be the fastest skater on our team if he were to don our sweater, so that would immediately help us up front...and he might actually consider coming here (same as chicago) just because we are so close to a cup run...what do i know, just one man's opinion :beer:

###### it! Why not Kovalchuk for the Sabres.

...because he's a soft Euro floater that hasn't shown any ability to lead a team to anything. I have no problem with the idea of bringing an impact player into the fold but it better be the right player. Have the Isles recovered from trading for Yashin(they gave up Chara and Spezza!)? If the Sabres are going to have to give up Kassian, Adam, Butler, Pominville and Ennis (this is the type of package were talking about), it better be for a player who instantly brings credibilty to your organization. Ilya would hardly do that. It would strip the Sabres of any potential to be competitive for the next decade.

Archived