Trade Target Watch

Calvin

I'd like to compile in one thread the trade targets that people have noticed we either need or could come available soon.

Let's keep it simple, so no over-long odes to Kovy and red-fonted rants about the Fab 5 - name the player, give a reason, and what problem he'd fix if brought on.

I'll kick this off with Olli Jokinen.

I just read that the Flames are getting really ticked off with him, and his lack of production (not verified, just something i heard)

He's a solid and veteran centerman, 48.1% on faceoffs, 70 pts avg per season - his contract is up end of this season, and he's 30.

I just read that the Flames are getting really ticked off with him, and his lack of production (not verified, just something i heard)

He's a solid and veteran centerman, 48.1% on faceoffs, 70 pts avg per season - his contract is up end of this season, and he's 30.

I think he'd make a nice addition to the team - who do we send to Calgary that we can spare and that Calgary would want?

The interesting thing with Jokinen is that his skill set seems more cut out for a scoring winger than a playmaking center. We could certainly use another natural goal scorer. Unfortunately, he comes with a pretty big cap hit, too. Somebody like Roy, Connolly or Pommer* would have to go back the other way to clear room. Plus, he's not exactly known for his defensive abilities and has been a disappointment to a couple of teams now. Looks better on paper than in person, methinks.

If the Blues get to the point that they turn completely to rebuilding with youth, I wouldn't mind seeing Tkachuk in our blue and gold. Of course, he has a NTC and is such a big part of their franchise that I doubt they or he would do it.

* By the way, Pommer has a NTC/NMC that allows him to name 8 teams that he will not accept a trade to. Of course, Calgary wouldn't be too bad of a destination.

Dustin Brown - LAK - Right Wing, 25 years old.

Cap Hit (according to this site: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0910)

3.5 million and is under contract for 4 years after this season at the same price.

He hails from Ithaca, NY.

Any input on the possibility of getting him?

I have been banging the Dustin Brown drum for a year or two. Realistically the Kings wouldn't move him as he is a relaible player locked in at a decent price.

Cap Hit (according to this site: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0910)

3.5 million and is under contract for 4 years after this season at the same price.

It's as good as done. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet!

http://sh.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=25160

It's as good as done. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet!

http://sh.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=25160

I clicked on the link, then asked a friend of mine how reliable this site is, He is still LHAO.

So I take it this particular rumor site is worthless.

But he is a good player and there was an article on him and his current woes in LA, just wondering if new scenery might help him out. It its not possible then unto the next I guess.

I clicked on the link, then asked a friend of mine how reliable this site is, He is still LHAO.

So I take it this particular rumor site is worthless.

Yeah, Blue was definitely making a joke.

How about showing LA the highlights from last night, then offering Stafford for Brown? :thumbsup:

Is there any reliabe outlets on trade moves and rumors out there or are they all garbage like that one?

I like this guy on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/NHLSourcesSay

He's been right before, and he typically posts information that is correct or at least realistic. He doesn't post constantly, but that's because I'm sure legit rumors are actually rather hard to come by, as opposed to Hockeybuzz's B.S.

edit: also, website: http://hendrickshockey.com/

Ray Whitney down in Carolina is a possibility. He is going to be moved without a doubt - veteran player in the last year of his contract playing on a team that's basically already knocked out of the playoffs.

I think he could be had for a reasonable price, his experience would be a nice addition, and he certainly would improve our top 6.

I would guess for a guy like him that a mid level prospect + 2nd round pick would be close to asking price.

I'm confused why you would think Jokinen would be a solution rather than another problem when the elements you cited about his play in Calgary (poor production, mediocre faceoff ability) just repeat the issues the Sabres have with many of their forwards? Besides that, he's not worth the $5-6M he'll ask for this summer as an UFA - and I can't see Regier giving up roster players or prospects for a rental.

I agree that the Sabres need a true # 1 center but Jokinen isn't the one to covet. I'd rather have Arnott, who has size, PP skills, is more affordable ($4.5M through '10-'11) and has a Cup ring to boot.

I can't see the Kings giving up on Brown - he's an integral part of their core with Johnson, Kopitar and Doughty. Their GM, Dean Lombardi, is as much an advocate of keeping their drafted players/prospects as Regier is.

If the Sabres do make the playoffs and have any dream of advancing past the first round, they have to solve their power play woes and that starts with a legitimate QB for the point. The experiment with Pominville at the point is futile - it worked 4 years ago when no one knew about Pominville's shot but now he never gets anything through. Butler and Myers show promise but neither is ready to make a real impact on the point and Sekera's a question mark as well.

To me, getting someone like Kaberle, Gilbert, Salo or Liles should be the top priority. Swapping in a more reliable scoring winger for the likes of MacArthur/Stafford/Pominville is a close second IMO.

Ray Whitney down in Carolina is a possibility. He is going to be moved without a doubt - veteran player in the last year of his contract playing on a team that's basically already knocked out of the playoffs.

I think he could be had for a reasonable price, his experience would be a nice addition, and he certainly would improve our top 6.

I would guess for a guy like him that a mid level prospect + 2nd round pick would be close to asking price.

We got a 2010 3rd round draft pick and a conditional 2010 4th round draft pick for Paille - I'm pretty sure Whitney would come with a higher asking price. How about giving them Rivet and that conditional 2010 4th round draft pick for Whitney?

I wouldn't mind taking Cullen off there hands. He's a real good player

Archived