Trade Target Watch

Calvin

Agreed, and all of those fans defending Vanek should be ashamed of themselves.

Quick d4rksabre, grab your pitchfork and torch, I'll meet you infront of the arena :blink:

In all seriousness though, Vanek is having an off year. His overall point numbers are below average, I would expect a solid 80 to 85 point average. 40 goals a season or more, but as everyone is so fond of pointing out, its never a player, its the system <_< .

It might not be a smart decision to want to ditch Vanek, but that doesn't mean those of us who are frustrated can't complain about it. He's totally dropping the ball. For 7 million a year, no one should have an "off" year. Vanek needs to figure out what the heck is wrong with his game and do something about it instead of just grimacing all the time and wondering "why God why?".

Agreed.

Vanek could finish below 25 goals this year. For a 7 million dollar sniper, that's unacceptable. Even if the team is winning.

He has to be better. Point blank.

He prolly will continue along at his current pace, notching his lowest point total since his rookie year. Having said that, he's still worth holding onto.

Its unfortunate though that he isn't taking the time to work substantially in becoming a better "all around" player.

If I could talk to Vanek, I'd tell him this: So, you're not scoring this year. Neither is anyone else on the team. Our system is offensively retarded. It's clear to see. But if the pressure isn't there to SCORE, then you should relish in that. Develop other aspects of your game. Skate your ass off. Be a bit dirtier in the corners. DO WORK.

I enjoyed seeing the quote that someone brought up concerning Dustin Penner. Vanek should take note.

Just for the record:

TV in first 37 GP

2007-08: 11G, 11A

2009-10: 11G, 12A

Of course, he then ran off 27P in 21GP early in 2008, including a stretch of 11G in 12GP in February. Let's hope he finds that kind of spark again this year.

That's true. He finished the year with 36G right? He went on a hell of a run there at the end.

Agreed, and all of those fans defending Vanek should be ashamed of themselves.

Quick d4rksabre, grab your pitchfork and torch, I'll meet you infront of the arena :blink:

In all seriousness though, Vanek is having an off year. His overall point numbers are below average, I would expect a solid 80 to 85 point average. 40 goals a season or more, but as everyone is so fond of pointing out, its never a player, its the system <_< .

As should the fans saying we should trade him for a 1st round pick. Probably the same fans that complain about how many 1st round picks for the Sabres have been a bust.

You never trade proven talent for prospective talent.

Does everyone really think Vanek is done scoring?

As should the fans saying we should trade him for a 1st round pick. Probably the same fans that complain about how many 1st round picks for the Sabres have been a bust.

No, not everyone.

My post was sarcasm, you realize this, no?

Also, pertaining to trading Vanek, lets live in the real world peeps, every player that is on this teams roster is a commodity for the owner of the franchise. Simple business 101 here, if you can get a better return for your commodity, then bye bye commodity.

Vanek is tradable, so is Miller or any other player..............for the right price.

My post was sarcasm, you realize this, no?

Also, pertaining to trading Vanek, lets live in the real world peeps, every player that is on this teams roster is a commodity for the owner of the franchise. Simple business 101 here, if you can get a better return for your commodity, then bye bye commodity.

Vanek is tradable, so is Miller or any other player..............for the right price.

The :blink: gave it away. It was just my in.

The :blink: gave it away. It was just my in.

hehe, got ya Swamp. Vanek taint gonna goes anywheres, he's here to stay. But ya, if he scored 25 to 30 goals in the second half of the season like last year, it won't hurt my feelings none ;)

hehe, got ya Swamp. Vanek taint gonna goes anywheres, he's here to stay. But ya, if he scored 25 to 30 goals in the second half of the season like last year, it won't hurt my feelings none ;)

That was 2 years ago, when the crippling pressure of his $50 million contract was weighing him down until whatever revaltion he had in the new year.

Vanek has talent the Sabres haven't had in the forward ranks in a long time. Unfortunately, I wonder how much Satan he has in him rather than Briere. Briere was never my favorite player but at least it looked like he showed up every game. Vanek seems to be JAG many nights.

That was 2 years ago, when the crippling pressure of his $50 million contract was weighing him down until whatever revaltion he had in the new year.

Vanek has talent the Sabres haven't had in the forward ranks in a long time. Unfortunately, I wonder how much Satan he has in him rather than Briere. Briere was never my favorite player but at least it looked like he showed up every game. Vanek seems to be JAG many nights.

Danny made a pass to Carter last night which was vintage Briere. Made me appreciate even more what an assist machine he was/is. The Sabres closet replacement to that is Connolly and he is a distant second to Briere's passing skills.

Danny made a pass to Carter last night which was vintage Briere. Made me appreciate even more what an assist machine he was/is. The Sabres closet replacement to that is Connolly and he is a distant second to Briere's passing skills.

I thought the closet replacement was Roy?

The Sabres have a little under 2 mil in cap space(per nhlnumbers.com). If we acquire a player with a 5 mil cap hit, the Sabres don't need to have 5 mil in free cap space because the incoming contract is prorated for the remainder of the season, correct?

I stand (or sit) corrected Ink.

I would have taken the 4 1st round picks from the Oilers when we had the chance, but I'm not unhappy they matched and kept him. You can tell he doesn't fit into this current system though. I look at the way the team is scoring lately, driving to the net, working hard (like Kennedy and Stafford lately) in the corners and along the boards. Vanek has done it only a few times. If he were to find his positional player within him, his numbers would go up expotentially.

I don't know, but he needs to do something, It looks like Connolly, Pomminstein and Hecht have found magic as of late, maybe we bring up Ennis or Gerbe and try a Roy/Gaustad, Vanek combination with them. No one he appears with now really finds consistency.

The Sabres have a little under 2 mil in cap space(per nhlnumbers.com). If we acquire a player with a 5 mil cap hit, the Sabres don't need to have 5 mil in free cap space because the incoming contract is prorated for the remainder of the season, correct?

A detailed answer is a bit tricky, so here's a quick one instead. Yes, by those terms, they would be able to bring in a player with a cap hit higher than $2 million. If they've been $2 million under at every point so far this season, right now at the midpoint of the season they would be able to add a player or players with a cap hit of $4 million total. Obviously if they go later and later into the season at the same total payroll, that $4 million number will increase slowly. That's the whole idea of banking cap space that you see mentioned from time to time.

A detailed answer is a bit tricky, so here's a quick one instead. Yes, by those terms, they would be able to bring in a player with a cap hit higher than $2 million. If they've been $2 million under at every point so far this season, right now at the midpoint of the season they would be able to add a player or players with a cap hit of $4 million total. Obviously if they go later and later into the season at the same total payroll, that $4 million number will increase slowly. That's the whole idea of banking cap space that you see mentioned from time to time.

Thanks!

I think he was making a sausage joke.

:doh: I missed the joke ("closet" not "closest") completely. That's that whole think about the human brain not actually register every letter of a word when reading. Often times it just sees things like the first/last letters and length, puts it in context, and selects the word it believes that it is (all in a millisecond.) So, some people will actually notice that "closest" is actually "closet", but many others will just read it as "closest".

Not sure if this was mentioned at all, my comp has been broke and havn't been on in a while. But... i was listening to a radio show about a week ago and John Buccigros was on from ESPN talking puck, and he was asked what do the Sabres need to add. He said gave the answer of "well they don't need anything right now" but said their pp could use help and said he knows they have been scouting Marek Zidlicky from the Wild. Take it for what it's worth.

Not sure if this was mentioned at all, my comp has been broke and havn't been on in a while. But... i was listening to a radio show about a week ago and John Buccigros was on from ESPN talking puck, and he was asked what do the Sabres need to add. He said gave the answer of "well they don't need anything right now" but said their pp could use help and said he knows they have been scouting Marek Zidlicky from the Wild. Take it for what it's worth.

I'd take Zidlicky. Just sayin...

I'd take Zidlicky. Just sayin...

With Myers and Butler on the backend of the powerplay I don't see this as a good fit. The Sabres would be better off looking for a defensive defensman and some forward help especially on the powerplay. That said, adding talent is never a bad thing. Zidlicky is facing UFA and with his numbers you may be looking at a pretty high price. At least too high for the Sabres.

With Myers and Butler on the backend of the powerplay I don't see this as a good fit. The Sabres would be better off looking for a defensive defensman and some forward help especially on the powerplay. That said, adding talent is never a good bad thing. Zidlicky is facing UFA and with his numbers this year you may be looking at a pretty high price. At least too high for the Sabres.

That sounds better.

I don't think we need to mess with the defense.

The true need is well documented on this board. A 60%+ faceoff winner would be much appreciated.

With Myers and Butler on the backend of the powerplay I don't see this as a good fit. The Sabres would be better off looking for a defensive defensman and some forward help especially on the powerplay. That said, adding talent is never a good thing. Zidlicky is facing UFA and with his numbers this you may be looking at a pretty high price. At least too high for the Sabres.

Disregard what I said, I definitely posted that shartfaced at 5am. Move along, nothing to see here.

Archived