Trade Target Watch

Calvin

Noticed you didn't list Sekera there.

If that was on purpose, then I agree...

I honestly don't know what to think of Sekera at this point. He has a great deal of talent, far more than the incumbent 5th and 6th the Sabres are dressing. I would go as far to say more talented than the Sabres 4th blueline Rivet. Lindy just refuses to play him. Lydman and Montador are a mess. They need to get Sekera on the ice and contributing unless the plan is to rely on the top four throughout the playoffs which I think would be a mistake.

I honestly don't know what to think of Sekera at this point. He has a great deal of talent, far more than the incumbent 5th and 6th the Sabres are dressing. I would go as far to say more talented than the Sabres 4th blueline Rivet. Lindy just refuses to play him. Lydman and Montador are a mess. They need to get Sekera on the ice and contributing unless the plan is to rely on the top four throughout the playoffs which I think would be a mistake.

I'm beginning to wonder if the blueliners as a group were just playing above average earlier this season and now are coming back to earth. If so, this does not bode well for the playoffs.

Any thoughts on Jordan Leopold? He is cheap and a UFA after the season. His hits would put him near the top of the Sabres and he has more blocked shots(102)than any Sabre. Seems like the prefect get at this point. Cheap and fills needs.

I remember TSN reporting rumors leading up to the 2008 draft that Regier was interested in Leopold when he was still with Colorado; however, Leopold was an UFA last summer and could have easily been signed by the Sabres if they were still interested. He couldn't have been asking for much because he eventually signed for $1.75M, only $250K more than what Buffalo gave to Montador. I thought at one time Leopold would be a good add but he hasn't done much to help Florida's power play this year and wasn't a key contributor to Calgary's power play last season. He seems now at the level where he'd produce about the same way as Sekera would with regular ice-time.

The Ducks waived Nick Boynton.

Boynton was never a great skater or that mobile when he was in Boston several years ago - and certainly has slowed down even more since. Other than being a scrapper to get in the face of opponents, he adds nothing to a team - definitely not at the price tag he keeps demanding.

Can Sekera get sent down without having to go through waivers? If so, that might be an option just to get the guy some playing time.

leopold would be a good add and provide some neede spark to this club the same way drury would if he were to return to buffalo...in fact i think any player currently serving an underachieving club would do good in buffalo just because of the excellent coaching, world class goaltending and the very real prospect of a cup run...

leopold would be a good add and provide some neede spark to this club the same way drury would if he were to return to buffalo...in fact i think any player currently serving an underachieving club would do good in buffalo just because of the excellent coaching, world class goaltending and the very real prospect of a cup run...

any GOOD player, that is...

Sorry...I don't get the Leopold <-> Drury comparison at all. :blink:

[rumor] Ladd going to Pens for McKee. But research says McKee IS actually injured from taking a shot in the palm of his hand (ok that sounds weird) and Ladd has an upper body injury so he left practice.

And Ladd for McKee would be a terrible trade that no GM should ever make.

Darren Dreger reports Oilers pushing a trade really hard. Trying to trade Ethan Moreau but their asking price is too much. They have to add to the package or nobody will bite. Hopefully their talking to Regier.

He's supposed to be quite the leader, but hasn't done too well with injuries recently, and only has 9 points in 54 games this year, which is off of his typical 30 point pace. Although that could be attributed to the fact that the Eulers blow this year.

I don't know if there is anyone on this current roster that I'd give up for him.

The Sabres benched one third of their defense core. What he adds is quality so they don't have to rely Montador, Lydman or Paestch come playoff time.

I think Leopold is as mistake prone as any of them and maybe more so.

It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I would go get a left-handed shot unless it was a canon.

Penner has 4 goals and 7 points in his last 22 games. He played a decent strect at the beginning of the year and hasn't done anyhting since. Edmonton would make this trade in a heartbeat just to get rid of the contract.

I'd pass. Except for the first half of this season(as you mentioned), he has been a huge disappointment for the Oilers since signing the big contract.

I think Leopold is as mistake prone as any of them and maybe more so.

It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I would go get a left-handed shot unless it was a canon.

The numbers would indicate otherwise. Leopold has 24 giveaways this season while Montador has 36 and Lydman 34. He hits more often than Motador and has as many blocked shots as both players combined. Come playoff time that is the type of player I want in front of Miller. A player willing to give up the body to prevent a scoring chance.

He is a upgrade at the position. A cheap upgrade at that. If he is available it would be foolish not to take a run at him.

I'd pass. Except for the first half of this season(as you mentioned), he has been a huge disappointment for the Oilers since signing the big contract.

Not to mention the 2 years at a total of $8.5 mill. I'm not sure if I want Moreau with another year on contract even at $2 mil. Looking at the Oliers, maybe a Jason Strudwick? A cheap addition to toss into the 5th - 6th defenseman mix?

The numbers would indicate otherwise. Leopold has 24 giveaways this season while Montador has 36 and Lydman 34. He hits more often than Motador and has as many blocked shots as both players combined. Come playoff time that is the type of player I want in front of Miller. A player willing to give up the body to prevent a scoring chance.

He is a upgrade at the position. A cheap upgrade at that. If he is available it would be foolish not to take a run at him.

I've been reading your post regarding your infatuation with blocked shots. You may be surprised to know that most goaltenders would rather have guys that let him see most of the shots and not be falling all over the ice trying to block shots and getting out of position.

I've been reading your post regarding your infatuation with blocked shots. You may be surprised to know that most goaltenders would rather have guys that let him see most of the shots and not be falling all over the ice trying to block shots and getting out of position.

I see it as more than a number. Hits and blocked shots to me represent a mentality of self sacrifice. The willingness to give up the body to make a play. I look back at the last run that ended in Carolina. That teams willingness to lay the body and to block shots was the primary reason they got as far as they did. They had 13 players that blocked at least 10 shots in the playoffs that year lead my McKee with 64 and a surprise 52 blocks from Toni Lydman. They had 18 players with at least 11 hits lead my Mike Grier's 57 and no surprise with Jay McKee with 41. That to me is simply what it will take for the Sabres to make another serious run. They don't have a Crosby or OV to lean on.

I'm sure Miller didn't mind facing 154 less shots during that playoff run.

Archived