Trade Target Watch

Calvin

I wonder if Miller's play in these Olympics is good enough to sway a top soon to be FA, who wants to compete for a cup, into coming to the Sabres. I sure hope so.

If USA wins the gold, all of a sudden the Sabres are a cup contender, or at least have a cup contending keeper. That could be a big draw for some top shelf FA's, especially if they figure they will only be in Buffalo for a few months.

PTR

If USA wins the gold, all of a sudden the Sabres are a cup contender, or at least have a cup contending keeper. That could be a big draw for some top shelf FA's, especially if they figure they will only be in Buffalo for a few months.

PTR

When the USA wins gold it will be because Miller stood on his head. He's going to have to stop 40+ SOGs to win tomorrow.

Selanne isn't going anywhere, it was hard enough for the Ducks to get him to play last year. He like Southern, CA and if doesn't sign with them I could see him hanging it up.

What about Stempniak? Any thought, could have a nice line with him Kaleta and Kennedy?

Yeah that'll work for impeding Kennedy's progress, cement him in on that 4th line.

Yeah that'll work for impeding Kennedy's progress, cement him in on that 4th line.

Kennedy's on the job training is about to go on hiatus till next year. Barring any injuries or an inability of Darcy to get anything done, Kennedy will be relegated to the press box till next year when I think he will play a big role in the future, assuming of course he resigns.

John Vogl mentioned Joe Corvo coming to Buffalo. Said it may even be close. He also said Sabres will target a top 6 RWer but he doesn't know if Sabres will land one. Said Corvo would be his bet to become a Sabre, also mentioned they have been trying for Kaberle.

John Vogl mentioned Joe Corvo coming to Buffalo. Said it may even be close. He also said Sabres will target a top 6 RWer but he doesn't know if Sabres will land one. Said Corvo would be his bet to become a Sabre, also mentioned they have been trying for Kaberle.

Thanks for the info.

I am hoping that these guys do the right thing and get the players in here that they need. The formula isn't that far off. They just have to figure out once and for all that if you always wait for the future, you have no future. In: A vet QB for the powerplay, top 6 winger with grit, #4 d-man with nasty streak, backup goalie that gets 25% of starts. Out: Pominville OR Stafford, Tallinder OR Lydman, Sekera OR Butler, Picks and Prospects.

You go from 20-1 to 10-1 to win the Cup. Hell, I might even go to a game for the first time in 2 years.

Any one of these players I'd love to see the Sabres get:

-Nathan Horton - 4M cap hit, locked up for many years.

Big, strong center. 6'2, 230. Very solid offensive presence.

-Joe Corvo - 2.625M cap hit, UFA end of the season.

Awesome offensive dman. Very aggressive on the pinch and can skate like the wind. He'd work very well on the PP and would integrate well into our 5 on 5.

-Kaberle - 4.25M cap hit, UFA at end of next season.

This one needs no explanation. He's an elite offensive dman and a classic example of a PPQB.

Another player worth looking into would be Ponikarovsky. He's a solid winger, has size (6'4 220) and I hear the Leafs aren't looking for too much. He could be had for a 2nd round and prospect.

Vogl looks like he lifted your post!

I would be thrilled if they landed Corvo.

You guys would love him. An insanely swift skater who never hesitates to pinch. He'd be a perfect fit in our defensive corp, and we'd stand a good chance at resigning him. I think he'd have quite a positive ripple effect on the team.

Ive always advocated that offense begins from a mobile, puck moving defense. And that's particularly true in our current system. The offense stands a chance at running much smoother with Corvo in the back end.

And if the Sabres could land a legit top 6 forward as well...I'd feel MUCH better about this team heading into the playoffs.

Thanks for the info.

I am hoping that these guys do the right thing and get the players in here that they need. The formula isn't that far off. They just have to figure out once and for all that if you always wait for the future, you have no future. In: A vet QB for the powerplay, top 6 winger with grit, #4 d-man with nasty streak, backup goalie that gets 25% of starts. Out: Pominville OR Stafford, Tallinder OR Lydman, Sekera OR Butler, Picks and Prospects.

You go from 20-1 to 10-1 to win the Cup. Hell, I might even go to a game for the first time in 2 years.

Completely agree.

Speaking of a top 4 dman with a nasty streak; how good was Brooks Orpik in the Olympics? I wish we would have taken a run at him in free agency. He would have been PERFECT in blue and gold. Unfortunately, I believe Darcy thought Rivet would be our "top 4 dma with a nasty streak". That one isn't going to pan out.

Miller's play in the Olympics has me waffling as to whether the Sabres should take a run at it(bring on the rentals), but if this is the belief within the organization, I want DR to go out and get the guys they are targeting ASAP. Don't sit back and choose from the leftovers 60 minutes before the deadline.

You guys would love him. An insanely swift skater who never hesitates to pinch. He'd be a perfect fit in our defensive corp, and we'd stand a good chance at resigning him. I think he'd have quite a positive ripple effect on the team.

Ive always advocated that offense begins from a mobile, puck moving defense. And that's particularly true in our current system. The offense stands a chance at running much smoother with Corvo in the back end.

And if the Sabres could land a legit top 6 forward as well...I'd feel MUCH better about this team heading into the playoffs.

Would like to see a trade for Corvo and a extension announced on the same day. He is a solid top four defensemen. It also puts Rivet where he belongs on the bottom pairing playing reduced minutes. Long term, Corvo does not address the lack of physicality on the Sabres blue-line. Hopefully a Weber can fill that role next year.

I think we all need to realize that if and when they do make any moves, that bolded line is going to be the least of their concerns. If they bring in anyone who has an expiring contract, that move is all about today, not the future. Sure, adding the guy longterm would be nice, but that more than likely wouldn't be the plan. Winning a player over and convincing him to stay? That's just an added bonus.

Miller's play in the Olympics has me waffling as to whether the Sabres should take a run at it(bring on the rentals), but if this is the belief within the organization, I want DR to go out and get the guys they are targeting ASAP. Don't sit back and choose from the leftovers 60 minutes before the deadline.

Amen.

Agreed. But Darcy likes to wait things out so that the market can make sense to him.

Would like to see a trade for Corvo and a extension announced on the same day.

does seem like he'd be a good add.

still, this still stings. a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpvr5-AQ_L4

then again, that game did inspire weasel ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaM-igPvhbs

which in turn has always caused me to substitute "corvo" for "wormer" at the 1:31 mark of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47bpOCTcaY#t=1m31s

(sorry i can only embed 2 vids.)

all of which is to say ... well, nothing of consequence (as per usual).

What are the odds that after the deadline Darcy says "I was surprised at how much some GMs were willing to pay" or something along those lines?

bank on it.

That whole idea about waiting until the end of the line to see how the market shakes out is a bit off this year. These GMs have had very little to do over the last 2 weeks. You better believe that they've been talking the whole way through the break. They all have a good idea at what it is going to take to go after certain players. Anything that goes down to the wire will be for the same reasons as every single past season, the team was hoping for a bigger return, but caved last second when faced with receiving nothing at all.

Archived