Trade Target Watch

Calvin

does seem like he'd be a good add.

still, this still stings. a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpvr5-AQ_L4

then again, that game did inspire weasel ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaM-igPvhbs

which in turn has always caused me to substitute "corvo" for "wormer" at the 1:31 mark of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47bpOCTcaY#t=1m31s

(sorry i can only embed 2 vids.)

all of which is to say ... well, nothing of consequence (as per usual).

bank on it.

That there was funny, I don't care who you are!

What are the odds that after the deadline Darcy says "I was surprised at how much some GMs were willing to pay" or something along those lines?

Watching NHL Network (On the Fly) and they had quotes from the various GMs about deadline day. They showed Regier twice. His quotes (bearing in mind these are clips and there isn't a lot of context):

"I think you're more apt to do something wrong than do something right, both short and long-term."

There's tremendous pressure to do something, so you are caught between doing something that you think will benefit your hockey club either in the short term or the long term at not too great of an expense."

Others I found interesting:

Ken Holland, Detroit: "You get to the trade deadline and you think you've got a team that has a legitimate chance for a long run, and you're missing one piece, you want to give your team every opportunity because it's an incredibly hard Cup to win. And when you get a chance to go after it you want to give your team every opportunity because you don't know how many opportunities you're going to get."

Bryan Murray, Ottawa (thuffering thucatash): "When you make a trade, you're sending a message to your team that 'we're really trying here. We're really trying to help you win', and that sets up the mindset that they can go deep in the playoffs."

Watching NHL Network (On the Fly) and they had quotes from the various GMs about deadline day. They showed Regier twice. His quotes (bearing in mind these are clips and there isn't a lot of context):

"I think you're more apt to do something wrong than do something right, both short and long-term."

There's tremendous pressure to do something, so you are caught between doing something that you think will benefit your hockey club either in the short term or the long term at not too great of an expense."

Others I found interesting:

Ken Holland, Detroit: "You get to the trade deadline and you think you've got a team that has a legitimate chance for a long run, and you're missing one piece, you want to give your team every opportunity because it's an incredibly hard Cup to win. And when you get a chance to go after it you want to give your team every opportunity because you don't know how many opportunities you're going to get."

Bryan Murray, Ottawa (thuffering thucatash): "When you make a trade, you're sending a message to your team that 'we're really trying here. We're really trying to help you win', and that sets up the mindset that they can go deep in the playoffs."

oh my god.. so it is not only buffalo sports management that uses this line?!

3/1/10, 6:28pm et - More and more it appears as if the Philadelphia Flyers are targeting the Nashville Predators and defenseman, Dan Hamhuis.

Sources say the two teams have had discussions, with the Predators asking for a young defenseman, believed to be Ryan Parent in return.

Hamhuis is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.

Darren Dreger, TSN

I don't know too much about Hamhuis, but should we be interested here?

True, but the difference is in how the phrase is used. Ken Holland uses that phrase as justification for being proactive in improving his team (in free agency and the trade market) while Darcy and co. use it as justification for failure.

This guy actually knows what he's talking about.

Good quotes BMW. The Murray quote got me to thinking. I had a feeling that the Kovalchuk situation somehow affected the Sabres' mindset, made their current slump somehow worse. Not so much that they didn't land Kovalchuk, but the tenor of the comments by Darcy afterwards. One thing about Darcy and Lindy Downer -- they can grab a good vibe and pull it under their clinical depression in a hurry. "We won't be laughing in January."

I don't even know why I play this game since it will only frustrate me when Darcy is looking for good deals on corned beef and cabbage at Tops instead of trying to make a real improvement of the team.

Here it goes......6 reasonable targets that would improve the character of this team and have actual skill. In order of ease of getting.

#6 + #5) Marty Biron + Andy Sutton - NYI.......We all know Marty well, and contrary to popular belief, he has played fairly well minus a 140 minute stretch of time. Take his 2 game flop out of the equation and he is 2.82 GAA and .911 SV. You bring Marty in for his personality and his ability to handle some work. He is better when getting work, and if the Sabres are serious about going deep, they need to rest Miller every 3-4 games in the stretch. Lindy doesn't trust Lalime....he had to trust Marty.

Sutton is a slightly more talented version of Montador. He is truly big and will move people. He can also play PP2 if need be. Rivet has been shot, and if he stays..he can use an odd night off to recoup.

You can get Sutton and Marty for Sekera I would think. Both are UFA though and make 3.5 and 1.4 this year.

#4) Alex Ponikarovsky - His name has been dangled here, and he fits for the playoffs. Salary is in the $2 mil range and he is basically what we wanted Hecht to be. I think he is a popular player and he won't come cheap even though he is a UFA. MacArthur and someone decent from the minors at least. Toronto will need young players back, so you do what you need to do.

#3) Bryan McCabe - FLA - I don't see his name mentioned here in the firesale. He is making $4 mil from what I can tell and I know he has a no-trade clause, but he would be a car ride from Toronto. He is the perfect vet with PP skills and a touch of grit. McCabe would be a better tutor for Myers than Rapender. Could you get him for Kennedy and a high pick? I don't know. He would be under contract next year though at same price.

#2) RJ Umberger - CLB- I know he gets rocked by the Sabres it seems, but he is a decent effort guy that can put up some points and stick up for himself. He could bring a lot more energy to the midde lines be it a center or wing. 4 mil is steep, but maybe you can unload Hecht and give them a Gerbe or Ennis.

#1) David Backes - STL - This is the prize. A tough center who can score, even though he is off this year. He was rumored to be moved before the olympics and at 2.5 mil, is a bargain the way he can play. Think, a bigger more talented Gaustad. St Louis is still alive for the playoffs but would need youth in return too. Here is where you might be able to unload Tallinder (remember, he is a P%&*y in the playoffs) as part of a package that may need to involve Pominville or Stafford. I think Stafford would wake up playing wing with this guy though.

Rentals aren't Darcy's MO, and the top 3 are all making real money and need some real talent dealt in return, which also isn't Darcy's MO. That pretty much eliminates the entire list. I mean...who needs a talented hard working team that can scare some people in the corners and make a run at the Cup when you can keep the same overstocked cupboards of mediocre prospects hoping Miller steals you a series and you can ride the white collar, mute, season ticket holders one more year?

Well....at least the Sabres main competition agrees with me. That is nothing new I guess.

This guy actually knows what he's talking about.

Good quotes BMW. The Murray quote got me to thinking. I had a feeling that the Kovalchuk situation somehow affected the Sabres' mindset, made their current slump somehow worse. Not so much that they didn't land Kovalchuk, but the tenor of the comments by Darcy afterwards. One thing about Darcy and Lindy Downer -- they can grab a good vibe and pull it under their clinical depression in a hurry. "We won't be laughing in January."

Murray had another quote, and I'm paraphrasing here, but it was essentially "you make a move, take a gamble, and hope that it works out." I'm not saying DR needs to make a big splashy move every trade deadline, but I'd like to see one - when the time is right and the team is in position to make a run - that represents a gamble and says to the players and fans that "yes, we do think this team is good enough that we could make a deep run and we're going to try to make sure they have what they need to do it."

Dreger is saying Poni to the Pens is getting close. If I'm Ponikarovsky that's where I want to go.

Poni for a Capuchin monkey.. perfect

If we don't make a move for either Wolski or Whitney then I'm pretty certain there's no trade we're getting into for a player that's worth having

I'm ready to donate to a Fire Darcy billboard...

My head knows that this could just be posturing, just a smokescreen, but my gut reaction is...WTF?!? Where is his sense of urgency?

Archived