Trade Target Watch

Calvin

Booth ain't going to happen. He's the guy that team is going to build around. I think pretty much most of the young guys in Florida are off the market. But guys like Ballard, McCabe, Seidenberg, Leopold, Stillman, Reinprecht, Dvorak are all fair game. I think Florida has decided they are going to go with a complete youth movement. Horton and Weiss are bubble guys in my opinion. Since both are pretty young and very talented, I think Florida might try to keep them, but I also would not be surprised if they were traded away for picks and prospects.

Of the guys from Florida, who I believe to be available, I'd try to go after Seidenberg or Leopold to add the puck moving PP QB defenseman and I'd try to get Horton or Weiss, but would be very happy with acquiring Reinprecht. I'd be willing to give up Stafford and Lydman for Horton or Weiss and either Seidenberg or Leopold. I would not give up much more than MacArthur and Lydman for Reinprecht and one of the two defenseman above. Any trade with Florida involving the Sabres taking on more cap space would have to involve Lydman since he is a UFA at the end of the year and salary would need to be pushed out to take on a relatively hefty contract like Horton's. Since Florida is looking for a long term plan and looking to unload some salary that have longer term contracts, they have to be willing to take on a short term UFA to clear cap space for the Sabres.

This is purely a false statement. It has been stated by the GM and ownership no one on Florida's roster is off limits. You need to go to the Panthers website, read the south Florida media and look up the team headlines on NHL.com.

I'd rather see if they can package Stafford with picks and prospects for Horton. It would give Florida some more cap room to work with next year ($1.9 million vs. $4.0 million), while still having a decent player in that spot. Horton may have more value (though, the relative cap/salary offset some of his production), so the picks/prospects would be added to sweeten the pot.

Top two lines would be:

Hecht-Connolly-Pommer

Vanek-Roy-Horton

Unfortunately, Horton is out injured until March, so it will be interesting to see if he is even on the market.

As previously stated (time and time again) the Florida Panthers have stated clearly that "NO ONE" in their organization is "OFF THE TABLE OR NOT IN THE MARKET".

Not only Edmonton, but Florida as well.

Here is my "Darcy, get'er done" list:

C

Sam Gagner

Why would they even consider moving Gagner? They're trying to rebuild for the future and a 20 year old potential franchise player won't be anywhere near any trade offers made.

Why would they even consider moving Gagner? They're trying to rebuild for the future and a 20 year old potential franchise player won't be anywhere near any trade offers made.

Call the Oilers organization and ask them. There management team and ownership are the ones who stated "NO ONE" is off limits, not I.

Pominville, with 114 goals, 286 points and a definitely better work ethic have an enormously burdensome, bad contract?

Pominville gets a bad rap here. If I had to get rid of one of the FAB 5, Pominville would be either 4th or 5th on the list.

Roy

Stafford

Vanek

Connolly

Pominville

Call the Oilers organization and ask them. There management team and ownership are the ones who stated "NO ONE" is off limits, not I.

What they say and what they mean are usually completely different things. Yeah, there's always that offer than can absolutely floor a team, but it's not incredibly likely. Gagner is the closest thing they have to an untouchable. The rest of your list is definitely worth watching. Usually a team is going to try to move their UFAs first, but Edmonton has surprisingly few. That could lead to some interesting decisions out of the Oilers.

This is purely a false statement. It has been stated by the GM and ownership no one on Florida's roster is off limits. You need to go to the Panthers website, read the south Florida media and look up the team headlines on NHL.com.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/lebrun_pierre

Thanks for your opinion, but I'd trust Pierre Lebrun over you. He actually has spoken with Randy Sexton, and clearly the Panthers are going to rebuild the team around David Booth. I have read the open letter to the fans. They may trade guys like Weiss and Horton, but Booth is long term in Florida.

Perhaps you have better sources with Florida Panthers management than Pierre Lebrun. If so, you could probably make a nice career of creating an NHL rumors web page with completely out of hand and false trade rumors and charge people extra money for "extra special gossip". Oh wait, that's called www.hockeybuzz.com. I hear they are looking for new bloggers, so you might try your hand at that.

Thanks for your opinion, but I'd trust Pierre Lebrun over you. He actually has spoken with Randy Sexton, and clearly the Panthers are going to rebuild the team around David Booth. I have read the open letter to the fans. They may trade guys like Weiss and Horton, but Booth is long term in Florida.

Perhaps you have better sources with Florida Panthers management than Pierre Lebrun. If so, you could probably make a nice career of creating an NHL rumors web page with completely out of hand and false trade rumors and charge people extra money for "extra special gossip". Oh wait, that's called www.hockeybuzz.com. I hear they are looking for new bloggers, so you might try your hand at that.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=517345&navid=DL|FLA|home

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/1471856.html

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-panthers-notebook-021204,0,2235395.story

"He added that no Panthers' player is off limits for a trade"

The link is not working, here is the entire article, with quote:

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

6:44 p.m. EST, February 13, 2010

SUNRISE - Panthers general manager Randy Sexton promised changes after Tuesday's loss in Carolina and he didn't wait long to make the first move.

Center Dominic Moore was traded to the Canadiens, who're coached by former Panthers' GM Jacques Martin, for a second-round draft pick in 2011 on Thursday. The trade was finalized shortly before opening faceoff against the Canucks.

"It's just one step, I hope, in a series of steps to get where we need to be," Sexton said, adding the pick could be packaged in another deal. "We're continuing to work on a variety of things."

Sexton, who spoke to the media during the first intermission, said whether the Panthers would be "buyers" or "sellers" up to the March 3 deadline would depend on the outcome of their game Thursday and others around the league.

The Panthers started the night six points behind the eighth-place Lightning in the Eastern Conference. The NHL's Olympic break trade freeze starts 3 p.m. Friday. Sexton said he'd like to make more moves before then.

"Regardless of win, lose, buy, sell, we've got to retool this team," Sexton said.

He added that no Panthers' player is off limits for a trade. That includes goalie Tomas Vokoun, who has a no-trade clause, as do defensemen Bryan McCabe and Keith Ballard. He said discussions with other teams had intensified in the past 72 hours, including multiple conversations with some GMs.

Trading Moore for a second-rounder is a major success considering the Panthers acquired him for nothing, signing him for one year at $1.1 million days after opening the season in Finland. Moore had no goals and just two assists in his past 13 games. He was minus-1 each of his past two games.

Those numbers aside, Sexton said the bounty attained for Moore "speaks to the type of player Dominic is."

Olesz in lineup

Winger Rostislav Olesz was in the lineup even though Coach Pete DeBoer confirmed Thursday morning Olesz had a broken finger. Olesz didn't play, but served a bench minor and was credited with five seconds of ice time skating back from the box.

The Panthers could have dressed just 19 players one fewer than the normal lineup -- had they chosen to sit out Olesz. Sexton said Olesz didn't dress to show teams potentially interested in trading for him that he can play.

Tarnasky fights Glass

Nick Tarnasky fought former Panther Tanner Glass in the first period. It was Tarnasky's first NHL fight since he suffered a broken orbital bone fighting Ottawa's Chris Neil in the preseason opener. Tarnasky did fight once during his conditioning stint in the AHL.

No apology necessary, really, just please, read what is being quoted before you post. Thanks.

What they say and what they mean are usually completely different things. Yeah, there's always that offer than can absolutely floor a team, but it's not incredibly likely. Gagner is the closest thing they have to an untouchable. The rest of your list is definitely worth watching. Usually a team is going to try to move their UFAs first, but Edmonton has surprisingly few. That could lead to some interesting decisions out of the Oilers.

Price is irrelavent. The posts state that these players can be had, its up to the organizations to hammer an arrangement.

I too, do not believe all of these players will be dealt, but once again, the post was meant to do a little drooling over what could help the Sabres.

Price is irrelavent. The posts state that these players can be had, its up to the organizations to hammer an arrangement.

I too, do not believe all of these players will be dealt, but once again, the post was meant to do a little drooling over what could help the Sabres.

If it is to help the Sabres, then the price can't be irrelevant. Any move's value is what you get minus what you give up. If that player is part of their future plans, then he might be available, but only at an inflated price.

Also, my comment was because players who are injured aren't usually traded, not because I don't think he would otherwise be available. Horton has been rumored to be on the market before, but if he's not due back until weeks after the deadline (I don't know if he isn't, but it said "he's out until at least March"), then they may wait until the Summer to deal him.

If it is to help the Sabres, then the price can't be irrelevant. Any move's value is what you get minus what you give up. If that player is part of their future plans, then he might be available, but only at an inflated price.

Also, my comment was because players who are injured aren't usually traded, not because I don't think he would otherwise be available. Horton has been rumored to be on the market before, but if he's not due back until weeks after the deadline (I don't know if he isn't, but it said "he's out until at least March"), then they may wait until the Summer to deal him.

Ah, ok carpandean, and I agree with what you state here. But, hey, we as fan base can dream can't we :thumbsup: .

With that being said, my original post stands, with Horton put aside for a moment, what would be a pick worth Buffalo's attention out of the remaining talent and what would (theoratically of course) you think Buffalo would give for those pick ups.

Personally carpandean, I find trade time a very fun time of year, specifically because, as fans, we can dream. :thumbsup:

Ah, ok carpandean, and I agree with what you state here. But, hey, we as fan base can dream can't we :thumbsup: .

With that being said, my original post stands, with Horton put aside for a moment, what would be a pick worth Buffalo's attention out of the remaining talent and what would (theoratically of course) you think Buffalo would give for those pick ups.

Personally carpandean, I find trade time a very fun time of year, specifically because, as fans, we can dream. :thumbsup:

Definitely, me too. It's just that so many "Max and Kotalik for Ovechkin" type suggestions have been made in the past (mostly on other sites) that I (and others) have a knee-jerk reaction to anything too far out of the realm of realism. ;)

Definitely, me too. It's just that so many "Max and Kotalik for Ovechkin" type suggestions have been made in the past (mostly on other sites) that I (and others) have a knee-jerk reaction to anything too far out of the realm of realism. ;)

Personally, I hate most of the speculation that goes on around this time of the year. I love the actual deals. I wish they'd get here already.

Personally, I hate most of the speculation that goes on around this time of the year. I love the actual deals. I wish they'd get here already.

This is going to be so brutal. No one has any NHL hockey to talk about. The rumors are going to be 10x normal.

This is going to be so brutal. No one has any NHL hockey to talk about. The rumors are going to be 10x normal.

Here's a NHL hockey topic.

What teams are in the best position to take advantage of the two week break? Will Washington, L.A. and Ottawa lose all momentum? Will teams that are banged up come back refreshed? Will the better teams with the most players in the Olympics be hurt by it?

This has been one of the most streaking seasons in recent memory. A two week break will may cause more damage than originally thought.

a bunch of stuff

He added that no Panthers' player is off limits for a trade. That includes goalie Tomas Vokoun, who has a no-trade clause, as do defensemen Bryan McCabe and Keith Ballard. He said discussions with other teams had intensified in the past 72 hours, including multiple conversations with some GMs.

a bunch more stuff

No apology necessary, really, just please, read what is being quoted before you post. Thanks.

No worries, I have zero intention of apologizing.

I think it's interesting what you have bolded. While it says no player is off limits, in the very next sentence it specifically mentions players that are tradeable. Notably missing from that sentence is David Booth. Additionally, I provided a link and a source that specifically indicates David Booth likely will not be traded as cited by Pierre Lebrun from espn.com.

Basically, here's my point, whatever is said by the Panther management in their letter to the fans, etc. indicates that they are willing to make trades and tough decisions for the good of the team long term. That's probably the case as it relates to popular guys and long time Panther players like Horton and Weiss. The reality is, unless they get a deal that involves 2 first round picks and some ridiculous talent, it's highly unlikely David Booth will be traded. The analogy here is that while it was a bit of a shock that Dion Phaneuf got traded, I definitely saw his names in a bunch of trade rumors. Aside from your wish list, I have not seen one trade rumor that includes David Booth, and I have seen one that explicitly eliminates him as tradeable from an incredibly credible source in Pierre Lebrun. He's young, signed long term at a reasonable cap hit, and extremely talented. I'm willing to put money up that David Booth is not traded by March 3rd, 2010.

I think it's interesting what you have bolded. While it says no player is off limits, in the very next sentence it specifically mentions players that are tradeable. Notably missing from that sentence is David Booth. Additionally, I provided a link and a source that specifically indicates David Booth likely will not be traded as cited by Pierre Lebrun from espn.com.

Basically, here's my point, whatever is said by the Panther management in their letter to the fans, etc. indicates that they are willing to make trades and tough decisions for the good of the team long term. That's probably the case as it relates to popular guys and long time Panther players like Horton and Weiss. The reality is, unless they get a deal that involves 2 first round picks and some ridiculous talent, it's highly unlikely David Booth will be traded. The analogy here is that while it was a bit of a shock that Dion Phaneuf got traded, I definitely saw his names in a bunch of trade rumors. Aside from your wish list, I have not seen one trade rumor that includes David Booth, and I have seen one that explicitly eliminates him as tradeable from an incredibly credible source in Pierre Lebrun. He's young, signed long term at a reasonable cap hit, and extremely talented. I'm willing to put money up that David Booth is not traded by March 3rd, 2010.

Right, right, you decide to make an attempt to put my dick in the dirt, then, when you are "PROVEN" wrong, you decide to redirect the conversation to what "YOU" feel the organization meant by stating that. You can site and provide a link for a media sources opinion all day long, I provided a quote from the GM of the team, ya, I don't think, I know my source is closer to the organization than yours, run along now and listen to some more Pierre Lebrun, I'll stay tuned into the actual GM's, thanks for playing.

Conversation over, go lick your wounds.

I said:

Booth ain't going to happen. He's the guy that team is going to build around. I think pretty much most of the young guys in Florida are off the market. But guys like Ballard, McCabe, Seidenberg, Leopold, Stillman, Reinprecht, Dvorak are all fair game. I think Florida has decided they are going to go with a complete youth movement. Horton and Weiss are bubble guys in my opinion. Since both are pretty young and very talented, I think Florida might try to keep them, but I also would not be surprised if they were traded away for picks and prospects.

Of the guys from Florida, who I believe to be available, I'd try to go after Seidenberg or Leopold to add the puck moving PP QB defenseman and I'd try to get Horton or Weiss, but would be very happy with acquiring Reinprecht. I'd be willing to give up Stafford and Lydman for Horton or Weiss and either Seidenberg or Leopold. I would not give up much more than MacArthur and Lydman for Reinprecht and one of the two defenseman above. Any trade with Florida involving the Sabres taking on more cap space would have to involve Lydman since he is a UFA at the end of the year and salary would need to be pushed out to take on a relatively hefty contract like Horton's. Since Florida is looking for a long term plan and looking to unload some salary that have longer term contracts, they have to be willing to take on a short term UFA to clear cap space for the Sabres.

You said:

Then I said:

Then you said:

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=517345&navid=DL|FLA|home

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/1471856.html

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-panthers-notebook-021204,0,2235395.story

"He added that no Panthers' player is off limits for a trade"

The link is not working, here is the entire article, with quote:

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

6:44 p.m. EST, February 13, 2010

SUNRISE - Panthers general manager Randy Sexton promised changes after Tuesday's loss in Carolina and he didn't wait long to make the first move.

Center Dominic Moore was traded to the Canadiens, who're coached by former Panthers' GM Jacques Martin, for a second-round draft pick in 2011 on Thursday. The trade was finalized shortly before opening faceoff against the Canucks.

"It's just one step, I hope, in a series of steps to get where we need to be," Sexton said, adding the pick could be packaged in another deal. "We're continuing to work on a variety of things."

Sexton, who spoke to the media during the first intermission, said whether the Panthers would be "buyers" or "sellers" up to the March 3 deadline would depend on the outcome of their game Thursday and others around the league.

The Panthers started the night six points behind the eighth-place Lightning in the Eastern Conference. The NHL's Olympic break trade freeze starts 3 p.m. Friday. Sexton said he'd like to make more moves before then.

"Regardless of win, lose, buy, sell, we've got to retool this team," Sexton said.

Trading Moore for a second-rounder is a major success considering the Panthers acquired him for nothing, signing him for one year at $1.1 million days after opening the season in Finland. Moore had no goals and just two assists in his past 13 games. He was minus-1 each of his past two games.

Those numbers aside, Sexton said the bounty attained for Moore "speaks to the type of player Dominic is."

Olesz in lineup

Winger Rostislav Olesz was in the lineup even though Coach Pete DeBoer confirmed Thursday morning Olesz had a broken finger. Olesz didn't play, but served a bench minor and was credited with five seconds of ice time skating back from the box.

The Panthers could have dressed just 19 players one fewer than the normal lineup -- had they chosen to sit out Olesz. Sexton said Olesz didn't dress to show teams potentially interested in trading for him that he can play.

Tarnasky fights Glass

Nick Tarnasky fought former Panther Tanner Glass in the first period. It was Tarnasky's first NHL fight since he suffered a broken orbital bone fighting Ottawa's Chris Neil in the preseason opener. Tarnasky did fight once during his conditioning stint in the AHL.

Then I replied:

And then you used bad language and got upset:

Right, right, you decide to make an attempt to put my dick in the dirt, then, when you are "PROVEN" wrong, you decide to redirect the conversation to what "YOU" feel the organization meant by stating that.

Conversation over, go lick your wounds.

I have no idea why you are so upset and pissed off. I simply responded to wjag's post saying he wanted David Booth. I pretty much said that a trade for David Booth isn't going to happen, and I even bolded the part where I said it is purely my belief who I think might be available without stating with absolute certainty of anything. Then you got all pissy for no apparent reason. Then, I quoted a pretty reliable source in Pierre Lebrun who is backing up my point that David Booth likely won't be traded and is the core of the team. Then you posted a bunch of stuff that says a bunch of guys are tradeable, notably missing from that list is again David Booth. If you believe he will be traded, more power to you, I don't particularly care. I don't think he will be traded, and I quoted a reputable NHL Insider in Pierre Lebrun. We'll see what happens come March 3rd. Only one of us will be right. I don't feel wounded, so no licking here.

I said:

You said:

Then I said:

Then you said:

Then I replied:

And then you used bad language and got upset:

I have no idea why you are so upset and pissed off. I simply responded to wjag's post saying he wanted David Booth. I pretty much said that a trade for David Booth isn't going to happen, and I even bolded the part where I said it is purely my belief who I think might be available without stating with absolute certainty of anything. Then you got all pissy for no apparent reason. Then, I quoted a pretty reliable source in Pierre Lebrun who is backing up my point that David Booth likely won't be traded and is the core of the team. Then you posted a bunch of stuff that says a bunch of guys are tradeable, notably missing from that list is again David Booth. If you believe he will be traded, more power to you, I don't particularly care. I don't think he will be traded, and I quoted a reputable NHL Insider in Pierre Lebrun. We'll see what happens come March 3rd. Only one of us will be right. I don't feel wounded, so no licking here.

You tell me Eklunds got a bloggers spot open, yet make no effort to acknowledge that you threw down the guantlet. Reality setting in as of yet?

I quote the actual GM and you still deny the original statement I made about no one on the roster being safe. I guess it doesn't fit what "YOU" want, can't always get what you want in life, can you now.

Who ever said he would be traded? The point being made was that no one on the roster was off limits (a point made by the GM by the way). I still fail to see how your "emotions or opinions" on whether or not Booth will or will not be traded have anything to do with my original post.

So, at the end of this little lesson, did you really learn anything? Such as posting based on your "OPINOIN", then continually attempting to cram that "OPINION" down my throat while the "GM OF THE FLORIDA PANTHERS" says otherwise is pretty much a lost cause, dont ya think?

Really? you have no idea why I'd be miffed? Perhaps you can go blog for Eklund, this doesnt ring a bell? Come on man, lets just leave it be, call a spade a spade and move along.

Fair enough. That was offensive. I apologize for that. I responded that way because I felt your initial response was condescending imploring me to read the open letter to the fans as though I had not. I am sorry for the Eklund comment and I should not have made it.

I still stand by my opinion that I do not think Booth will be traded regardless of what Florida management has publicly stated. I believe he is the core and the future in Florida. That's my opinion at least.

And my original post had nothing to do with you and was directed toward wjag. Also this is a message board where all we do is post our opinions. If that is not the case then I really don't know what I'm doing here.

I still don't understand why we don't realize that a public figure can say one thing publicly but privately have completely different intentions. Saying that no one is off limits is nothing more than a dog and pony show intended to catch the fans attention.

Its not a matter of a lack of understanding. It is what it is. The original post listed the talent available that may help Buffalo, there were others from Florida and Edmonton that may be had as well, but the post also asked what everyone else thought with regards to proposals for the talent.

Regardless as to what our views are, the comments were made none the less, lets talk trades and what the possibilities are for Buffalo with these 2 teams.

Archived