Trade Target Watch

Calvin

Any one of these players I'd love to see the Sabres get:

-Nathan Horton - 4M cap hit, locked up for many years.

Big, strong center. 6'2, 230. Very solid offensive presence.

-Joe Corvo - 2.625M cap hit, UFA end of the season.

Awesome offensive dman. Very aggressive on the pinch and can skate like the wind. He'd work very well on the PP and would integrate well into our 5 on 5.

-Kaberle - 4.25M cap hit, UFA at end of next season.

This one needs no explanation. He's an elite offensive dman and a classic example of a PPQB.

Another player worth looking into would be Ponikarovsky. He's a solid winger, has size (6'4 220) and I hear the Leafs aren't looking for too much. He could be had for a 2nd round and prospect.

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reports the following: The Anaheim Ducks are likely trying to move defenseman Ryan Whitney who hasn't delivered the bang for the buck they hoped when they acquired him from Pittsburgh last season. His $4 million per season cap hit however is a stumbling block...With LA Kings winger Alex Frolov locked into third line duty it makes sense for him to be moved at the trade deadline. Matheson suggested the Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens or perhaps to the Buffalo Sabres for defenseman Craig Rivet.

This is from Spector's Hockey....

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reports the following: The Anaheim Ducks are likely trying to move defenseman Ryan Whitney who hasn't delivered the bang for the buck they hoped when they acquired him from Pittsburgh last season. His $4 million per season cap hit however is a stumbling block...With LA Kings winger Alex Frolov locked into third line duty it makes sense for him to be moved at the trade deadline. Matheson suggested the Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens or perhaps to the Buffalo Sabres for defenseman Craig Rivet.

This is from Spector's Hockey....

I like the idea of the trade, but I doubt we'll be seeing a Russian player in Sabres colors for awhile...

Frolov has possibly been the player most talked about being in a trade EVER.

Every year his name comes up in the rumor mill, but he's never moved. I doubt this year its different.

However, I also laughed at the notion New Jersey was remotely interested in Kovy; look how that turned out. :oops:

As far as that rumored trade goes, Rivet for Frolov? Possibly. I doubt Frolov would flourish here, and by signing Frolov I imagine we'd be sending MacArthur packing at the end of the season. Frolov is making 4mill this season and he's a UFA this summer. I'd have to pass on the Frolov sweeps.

I'd rather see a bigger forward like Horton.

Horton and Vanek could make a formidable one two punch.

Frolov has possibly been the player most talked about being in a trade EVER.

Every year his name comes up in the rumor mill, but he's never moved. I doubt this year its different.

However, I also laughed at the notion New Jersey was remotely interested in Kovy; look how that turned out. :oops:

As far as that rumored trade goes, Rivet for Frolov? Possibly. I doubt Frolov would flourish here, and by signing Frolov I imagine we'd be sending MacArthur packing at the end of the season. Frolov is making 4mill this season and he's a UFA this summer. I'd have to pass on the Frolov sweeps.

I'd rather see a bigger forward like Horton.

Horton and Vanek could make a formidable one two punch.

I agree with your post here. Horton, Weiss and Ballard/Booth for Stafford, MacArthur, Lydman and a prospect or pick or both.

If the package were to be that large it would work in the Panthers plan as Mac and Staff are both young players. Just speculation though.

Horton, Weiss and Ballard/Booth for Stafford, MacArthur, Lydman and a prospect or pick or both.

If the package were to be that large it would work in the Panthers plan as Mac and Staff are both young players. Just speculation though.

I can only hope that there is some sarcasm or humor at work here. :doh:

Name your package for Weiss, Horton and Booth then?

I doubt Weiss or Booth are available.... Horton could be had though but i wouldn't pay too much for a guy a lot of experts call uninspired and lazy. Is the risk worth the reward? His potential is great, but, what if we have another Vanek on our hands?

I doubt Weiss or Booth are available.... Horton could be had though but i wouldn't pay too much for a guy a lot of experts call uninspired and lazy. Is the risk worth the reward? His potential is great, but, what if we have another Vanek on our hands?

Be careful what you say, you might start a big pissing match by saying that Weiss or Booth are not available even though the GM of Florida has said that there isn't a single player on the roster that is off limits. And, even though this is a message board where all we do is talk opinions, your opinion may be viewed as being rammed down someone else's throat. :lol: :nana: (I'm just kidding and simply making a joke)

By the way, if you have not read this thread at all, I agree, I don't think Booth will be traded. ;) I do think Weiss may be on the bubble, but I think Horton is probably the most tradable of the three guys. But again, that's just my opinion.

So I did some checking prelim checking, Booth has played in 16 games this year. Forgot about the Richards hit. He missed 45 games to a concussion. Me thinks his price might not be as high as some predict.

Name your package for Weiss, Horton and Booth then?

Let's see...you want 3 of Florida's best players(even worse if you include Ballard in the deal instead) who are all in their mid 20's and under contract for 3 or more years beyond this season.

You either know very little about the Florida players, seriously overvalue MacArthur and Stafford or believe that Florida has the worlds biggest dimwit as their GM.

I won't pretend to know exactly what it would take to get 3 of a teams best forwards because it never happens in the NHL, but my guess is that they would be looking at something like this...

Pick two...Vanek, Stafford, Pominville, Roy

+ Butler

+ two prospects...Enroth, Weber, Ennis

+ #1 pick

Maybe even more?

Some Sabres news:

NESN.COM: James Murphy reported sources claiming trade talks involving Nashville Predators defenseman Dan Hamhuis have intensified to the point where he may be dealt immediately following the lifting of the NHL's Olympic "trade freeze" on March 1. The Bruins, Penguins and Sabres are believed interested with the asking price being a scoring forward and either a high second-round or low first round draft pick. The Bruins are also linked with Columbus' Raffi Torres and LA's Alex Frolov but it's believed the Kings are hesitant to move Frolov for fear of upsetting team chemistry.

RDS.CA: reported the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette casts doubt on the possibility of Jaromir Jagr perhaps returning with the Penguins after this season, since he likes to be the key on any team, which he wouldn't be on the Crosby-Malkin led Penguins...The Penguins might have interest in St. Louis Blues defenseman Barrett Jackman...The Buffalo News reported the Florida Panthers could move either Nathan Horton or Cory Stillman, suggesting the Sabres might be interested in either of those forwards...ESPN reported the Blues recently scouted Vancouver Canucks promising goalie Cory Schneider of the AHL's Manitoba Moose, suggesting they might offer up forward Paul Kariya...ESPN & the Edmonton Journal reported the Sabres are also believed to have Kings forward Alex Frolov in their sights...ESPN & the Ottawa Sun reported the Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers might have interest in Florida's Tomas Vokoun...

After watching the Olympic game:

Derek Roy for Chris Drury. Straight, no chaser.

The Rangers would jump at the deal in a heart beat. Roy's cap hit is much more reasonable at 4M versus Drury's 7.05M, but ###### it: let's bring our captain home.

With him on the squad, I feel we could go deeper into the playoffs than with Roy.

I don't even know why I play this game since it will only frustrate me when Darcy is looking for good deals on corned beef and cabbage at Tops instead of trying to make a real improvement of the team.

Here it goes......6 reasonable targets that would improve the character of this team and have actual skill. In order of ease of getting.

#6 + #5) Marty Biron + Andy Sutton - NYI.......We all know Marty well, and contrary to popular belief, he has played fairly well minus a 140 minute stretch of time. Take his 2 game flop out of the equation and he is 2.82 GAA and .911 SV. You bring Marty in for his personality and his ability to handle some work. He is better when getting work, and if the Sabres are serious about going deep, they need to rest Miller every 3-4 games in the stretch. Lindy doesn't trust Lalime....he had to trust Marty.

Sutton is a slightly more talented version of Montador. He is truly big and will move people. He can also play PP2 if need be. Rivet has been shot, and if he stays..he can use an odd night off to recoup.

You can get Sutton and Marty for Sekera I would think. Both are UFA though and make 3.5 and 1.4 this year.

#4) Alex Ponikarovsky - His name has been dangled here, and he fits for the playoffs. Salary is in the $2 mil range and he is basically what we wanted Hecht to be. I think he is a popular player and he won't come cheap even though he is a UFA. MacArthur and someone decent from the minors at least. Toronto will need young players back, so you do what you need to do.

#3) Bryan McCabe - FLA - I don't see his name mentioned here in the firesale. He is making $4 mil from what I can tell and I know he has a no-trade clause, but he would be a car ride from Toronto. He is the perfect vet with PP skills and a touch of grit. McCabe would be a better tutor for Myers than Rapender. Could you get him for Kennedy and a high pick? I don't know. He would be under contract next year though at same price.

#2) RJ Umberger - CLB- I know he gets rocked by the Sabres it seems, but he is a decent effort guy that can put up some points and stick up for himself. He could bring a lot more energy to the midde lines be it a center or wing. 4 mil is steep, but maybe you can unload Hecht and give them a Gerbe or Ennis.

#1) David Backes - STL - This is the prize. A tough center who can score, even though he is off this year. He was rumored to be moved before the olympics and at 2.5 mil, is a bargain the way he can play. Think, a bigger more talented Gaustad. St Louis is still alive for the playoffs but would need youth in return too. Here is where you might be able to unload Tallinder (remember, he is a P%&*y in the playoffs) as part of a package that may need to involve Pominville or Stafford. I think Stafford would wake up playing wing with this guy though.

Rentals aren't Darcy's MO, and the top 3 are all making real money and need some real talent dealt in return, which also isn't Darcy's MO. That pretty much eliminates the entire list. I mean...who needs a talented hard working team that can scare some people in the corners and make a run at the Cup when you can keep the same overstocked cupboards of mediocre prospects hoping Miller steals you a series and you can ride the white collar, mute, season ticket holders one more year?

Vanek - Connolly - Roy

Ponikarovsky - Backes - Stafford

Umberger - Gaustad - Grier

Ellis - Mair - Kaleta

McCabe Myers

Sutton Lydman

Butler Rivet

Miller

Biron

Gone: Pominville, Hecht, Tallinder, MacArthur, Kennedy, Sekera, Gerbe, Lalime, 2nd, 4th, etc.

Now I'm going to go blow my brains out.

I don't even know why I play this game since it will only frustrate me when Darcy is looking for good deals on corned beef and cabbage at Tops instead of trying to make a real improvement of the team.

Here it goes......6 reasonable targets that would improve the character of this team and have actual skill. In order of ease of getting.

#6 + #5) Marty Biron + Andy Sutton - NYI.......We all know Marty well, and contrary to popular belief, he has played fairly well minus a 140 minute stretch of time. Take his 2 game flop out of the equation and he is 2.82 GAA and .911 SV. You bring Marty in for his personality and his ability to handle some work. He is better when getting work, and if the Sabres are serious about going deep, they need to rest Miller every 3-4 games in the stretch. Lindy doesn't trust Lalime....he had to trust Marty.

Sutton is a slightly more talented version of Montador. He is truly big and will move people. He can also play PP2 if need be. Rivet has been shot, and if he stays..he can use an odd night off to recoup.

You can get Sutton and Marty for Sekera I would think. Both are UFA though and make 3.5 and 1.4 this year.

#4) Alex Ponikarovsky - His name has been dangled here, and he fits for the playoffs. Salary is in the $2 mil range and he is basically what we wanted Hecht to be. I think he is a popular player and he won't come cheap even though he is a UFA. MacArthur and someone decent from the minors at least. Toronto will need young players back, so you do what you need to do.

#3) Bryan McCabe - FLA - I don't see his name mentioned here in the firesale. He is making $4 mil from what I can tell and I know he has a no-trade clause, but he would be a car ride from Toronto. He is the perfect vet with PP skills and a touch of grit. McCabe would be a better tutor for Myers than Rapender. Could you get him for Kennedy and a high pick? I don't know. He would be under contract next year though at same price.

#2) RJ Umberger - CLB- I know he gets rocked by the Sabres it seems, but he is a decent effort guy that can put up some points and stick up for himself. He could bring a lot more energy to the midde lines be it a center or wing. 4 mil is steep, but maybe you can unload Hecht and give them a Gerbe or Ennis.

#1) David Backes - STL - This is the prize. A tough center who can score, even though he is off this year. He was rumored to be moved before the olympics and at 2.5 mil, is a bargain the way he can play. Think, a bigger more talented Gaustad. St Louis is still alive for the playoffs but would need youth in return too. Here is where you might be able to unload Tallinder (remember, he is a P%&*y in the playoffs) as part of a package that may need to involve Pominville or Stafford. I think Stafford would wake up playing wing with this guy though.

Rentals aren't Darcy's MO, and the top 3 are all making real money and need some real talent dealt in return, which also isn't Darcy's MO. That pretty much eliminates the entire list. I mean...who needs a talented hard working team that can scare some people in the corners and make a run at the Cup when you can keep the same overstocked cupboards of mediocre prospects hoping Miller steals you a series and you can ride the white collar, mute, season ticket holders one more year?

Vanek - Connolly - Roy

Ponikarovsky - Backes - Stafford

Umberger - Gaustad - Grier

Ellis - Mair - Kaleta

McCabe Myers

Sutton Lydman

Butler Rivet

Miller

Biron

Gone: Pominville, Hecht, Tallinder, MacArthur, Kennedy, Sekera, Gerbe, Lalime, 2nd, 4th, etc.

Now I'm going to go blow my brains out.

...mmmm, corned beef and cabbage...

Let's see...you want 3 of Florida's best players(even worse if you include Ballard in the deal instead) who are all in their mid 20's and under contract for 3 or more years beyond this season.

You either know very little about the Florida players, seriously overvalue MacArthur and Stafford or believe that Florida has the worlds biggest dimwit as their GM.

I won't pretend to know exactly what it would take to get 3 of a teams best forwards because it never happens in the NHL, but my guess is that they would be looking at something like this...

Pick two...Vanek, Stafford, Pominville, Roy

+ Butler

+ two prospects...Enroth, Weber, Ennis

+ #1 pick

Maybe even more?

Ya know, I just grow so tired of people pointing out "how little" others know of hockey, and its just egotistical arrogance to make comments such as this. I played hockey most of my life, watched the Sabres and the NHL since 1970, followed players worth to actual GM's rather than look at what "I" would feel is the worth of a player or just basically look at what "could" be done as opposed to what will be done.

When the GM of a team makes a statement, you bet he means it, all this nonsense of "he's just saying that" is pure idiocy. He is attemtpting to put a carrot out there to get the best return for "any" assest the organization has. I really fail to see how people actually believe this nonsense on "Booth or Weiss or another player is untouchable or that they really aren't looking to trade them". Purely speculation that is garbage, the GM has spoken, the offers will come in, will it be what the GM is looking for? Who knows, but most certainly "ANY AND EVERY" offer will be entertained.

As far as what it would take to get these players, you are merely speculating, you honestly don't know. As for my post, I stated they could be had, per the Panthers GM comments, then I looked at what I would possibly start with. I then asked what any one else would give. So basically, you could have skipped the lecture on your hockey knowledge greatness and just put a package on the table.............. :blink:

Ya know, I just grow so tired of people pointing out "how little" others know of hockey, and its just egotistical arrogance to make comments such as this. I played hockey most of my life, watched the Sabres and the NHL since 1970, followed players worth to actual GM's rather than look at what "I" would feel is the worth of a player or just basically look at what "could" be done as opposed to what will be done.

When the GM of a team makes a statement, you bet he means it, all this nonsense of "he's just saying that" is pure idiocy. He is attemtpting to put a carrot out there to get the best return for "any" assest the organization has. I really fail to see how people actually believe this nonsense on "Booth or Weiss or another player is untouchable or that they really aren't looking to trade them". Purely speculation that is garbage, the GM has spoken, the offers will come in, will it be what the GM is looking for? Who knows, but most certainly "ANY AND EVERY" offer will be entertained.

As far as what it would take to get these players, you are merely speculating, you honestly don't know. As for my post, I stated they could be had, per the Panthers GM comments, then I looked at what I would possibly start with. I then asked what any one else would give. So basically, you could have skipped the lecture on your hockey knowledge greatness and just put a package on the table.............. :blink:

You post a ridiculous proposal(even if it is a starting point...which you didn't state in your prior post) and then when you are called on it, you come back crying that I am questioning your hockey knowledge. Get over it. I don't care if it was a starting point, mid point or any other point, the Florida GM would be laughing so hard, he wouldn't be able to continue the conversation.

PS I didn't realize you played hockey. That gives your proposal much more validity. :doh:

I'd love Umberger and/or Backes, but I think there is NFW that STL trades him. I wouldn't mind Marty, but I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd-round pick for him. Same goes for McCabe and Ponikarovsky. Sutton is useless.

For the same reason that I don't think STL will trade Backes, I don't think Florida will trade Booth (other than for a price that would be too high). Blood-and-guts guys who also have offensive skill are just too precious. Having said that, I agree generally with you that no one on that roster is untouchable. I also think that the Florida GM has kinda painted himself into a corner by publicly stating that there are going to be changes -- i.e. he has to make some trades now, and one or more of their big names will probably be included.

Bigger?

Gaustad: 6'5", 222 lbs

Backes: 6'2", 200 lbs

You may think he plays bigger, but he is not actually bigger.

Good catch. You have it right though.

Before the olympics there were trade rumors swirling with him. Now if the USA actually finishes strong....all those clowns will see inflated valuation (i.e 27 Drury threads).

Like I said....Darcy obviously doesn't believe in character that has talent. There are plenty of talented guys on the roster, some character guys, but not one character guy that has real talent. By character I mean gritty character.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think St. Louis would trade Backes? The only reason people think he's on the market is because supposedly he was in the packaged deal for Kovalchuk that St. Louis offered. Unless the Blues get a star in return, Backes won't be traded.

Archived