Ask Bill Hoppe... v1.0

SDS

Yeah, but at least WGR technically IS in English. (Note, I said, TECHNICALLY.)

PS What's the difference between a golf ball and a Cadillac Escalade?

Ans: Tiger can drive a golf ball 400 yards. :P

:lol: That was hilarious!

:lol: That was hilarious!

What's the difference between Tiger and Santa Claus?

Santa stops after three Ho's.

What's the difference between Tiger and Santa Claus?

Santa stops after three Ho's.

I've said something similar to that elsewhere, but I can't remember if I've ever posted something like that here. My rendition is that Mrs. Claus is divorcing Santa because she caught him in bed with 3 Ho's.

Either way, point made.

I've said something similar to that elsewhere, but I can't remember if I've ever posted something like that here. My rendition is that Mrs. Claus is divorcing Santa because she caught him in bed with 3 Ho's.

Either way, point made.

Could we keep the side banter down and utilize this thread for its intended purpose please?

Thanks.

Getting tired of that GR guy getting in the face of players and asking all the questions.

Say Bill, what if we were to give u some questions on here (during/After the game) to ask after the game? Of course SGM's not involved here, but good questions like last game I would've asked "Was there anything behind your decision to put Thomas Vanek on the ice with 25 seconds to go?"

Getting tired of that GR guy getting in the face of players and asking all the questions.

Say Bill, what if we were to give u some questions on here (during/After the game) to ask after the game? Of course SGM's not involved here, but good questions like last game I would've asked "Was there anything behind your decision to put Thomas Vanek on the ice with 25 seconds to go?"

Excellent idea.

Separately, here's a question for Bill: any info on Connolly's health? It seems like we're hearing more lately about him missing practice, issues with his hip, etc. He's got 1 measly assist in his last 7 games and his ice time seems a bit lower lately too. Thanks.

Paul Hamilton. Does WGR contractually have exclusive rights to ask questions? Or, in Paul's case, make speeches?

You have to be over the age of 60 to use "say" in that way. "Say, Willy, hand me that band saw, will ya?"

I don't want to get this thread sidetracked... so, I did some housecleaning. Back to the Sabres.

Bill,

I, for one, am happier than pigs in poop that the Sabres are winning. However, I do have this tiny pain in my gut about the lack of production from the top lines. Are you sensing any tension at all inside the organization regarding our "top players" or does winning really cure all ills?

Bill,

I have a question that may have no easy or clear-cut answer but seems to be on the minds of many fans and media members alike: how do the Sabres handle their power play, in terms of preparation by the coaching staff, practice drills and in-game decisions? It really appears over and over like there is no cohesion or direction - and I can't fathom if it's due to indecisive coaching by McCutcheon or Ruff or Patrick, or just the erratic tendencies of the players. I've read how Ruff wants to shuffle individuals around on the two units and keep them in motion; I've also read at other times that the focus is to get shots from the point through traffic, which now has modified to aiming wide for the boards and hoping for good caroms/bounces to the slot; and we've all seen this season the odd strategy using the notoriously inneffective drop pass that leaves the other 4 players standing still at the blue line while the 5th player coming from the rear catches up.

I realize that power plays rely both on talent, creativity as well as plain hard work - and, while this current roster may not be as laden with those ingredients as past Sabre rosters were, I can't help but get the recurring feeling that the Sabres, as a whole, don't have a clue what to do with or how to run their power play. In my mind, even if Miller continues to shine the entire season, I think that the power play's poor efficiency will come to haunt the Sabres before all is said and done. We all have seen how much harder it is to score in the playoffs and that specialty teams take on even greater importance.

Have you ever had the chance to gain some insight on this from discussions with the players, coaches or other NHL personnel?

Hamilton doesn't even ask questions. He likes to state observations about the game and hope Lindy agrees with him in order to stroke his ego.

Like this one from today:

"For the Sabres, Chris Butler was working very hard in the hallway with Doug McKenney and was doing many difficult things."

Like what Soduku?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Bill, What do you think Tim Kennedy said that made the lineman manhandle him and literally throw him in the penalty box on his crosschecking penalty?

I noticed that too! The linesman seemed really ticked off!

I've never been down at ice level for a game, but is it common for players to abuse refs, or do they retain some level of decency? Are there penalties called for abusing officials?

I noticed that too! The linesman seemed really ticked off!

I've never been down at ice level for a game, but is it common for players to abuse refs, or do they retain some level of decency? Are there penalties called for abusing officials?

It looked to me like the guy he hit was trying to come after him and Kennedy was yelling at him, not the officials ... I think the linesman was just trying to get him to the box before something started and didn't expect Kennedy to be so light ;) Love the kid's jam, though.

Bill, can you dig up your old quotes from when Adam Mair was placed on waivers? I'm willing to bet you can just replace Mair's name with Paetsch's name and re-run them word for word. But now my real question. What will you do with the time I just saved you by pointing this out?

Bill, can you dig up your old quotes from when Adam Mair was placed on waivers? I'm willing to bet you can just replace Mair's name with Paetsch's name and re-run them word for word. But now my real question. What will you do with the time I just saved you by pointing this out?

This is from November. I'm sure it fits perfectly.

"We’ve just got extra forwards, and he’s not playing. He’s in a contract year. It’s an opportunity for him to hopefully get a chance elsewhere.”

This is from November. I'm sure it fits perfectly.

"We’ve just got extra forwards, and he’s not playing. He’s in a contract year. It’s an opportunity for him to hopefully get a chance elsewhere.”

Wow. Hopefully they prove me right now. Oh, and one suggestion for my other question: :beer:

Archived