Ask Bill Hoppe... v1.0

SDS

Bill is at the rink every day and he makes it to about 25% of the road games. He talks to Ruff and the players every day. He's a low key guy doing his thing on the Sabres and he enjoys the fact that we get all his pieces out to the fans, not just a few.

Bill has said he would be willing to participate here in the forums fielding questions from us. I presume this could be anything from asking about the "mood" inside the locker room to "hey, can you ask about X, Y, or Z".

Is this something you think you would utilize? Have you been reading his pieces on the front page?

Bill is at the rink every day and he makes it to about 25% of the road games. He talks to Ruff and the players every day. He's a low key guy doing his thing on the Sabres and he enjoys the fact that we get all his pieces out to the fans, not just a few.

Bill has said he would be willing to participate here in the forums fielding questions from us. I presume this could be anything from asking about the "mood" inside the locker room to "hey, can you ask about X, Y, or Z".

Is this something you think you would utilize? Have you been reading his pieces on the front page?

If he talks to the coaches and the players every day, I think it would be great to have a pinned "Ask Bill" thread.

I haven't been reading his pieces but I'll give them a whirl.

If he talks to the coaches and the players every day, I think it would be great to have a pinned "Ask Bill" thread.

I haven't been reading his pieces but I'll give them a whirl.

ok, you are an avid hockey reader... Why weren't you reading his pieces if you don't mind me asking?

I think the fact that his stuff is posted online in the afternoon (Olean being an afternoon paper) hurts a bit. His articles usually read like the typical postgame fare you'd read after the game or in the morning at the latest. Having said that, I see this morning that his piece on Marty is already posted. I don't know what his deadline is, but if it's after noon, I'd rather see more analysis and commentary.

But, yeah, SDS, this would be a very cool feature. Not just that, but seeing his stuff earlier than normal, when it's still more relevant... excellent.

I think the fact that his stuff is posted online in the afternoon (Olean being an afternoon paper) hurts a bit. His articles usually read like the typical postgame fare you'd read after the game or in the morning at the latest. Having said that, I see this morning that his piece on Marty is already posted. I don't know what his deadline is, but if it's after noon, I'd rather see more analysis and commentary.

But, yeah, SDS, this would be a very cool feature. Not just that, but seeing his stuff earlier than normal, when it's still more relevant... excellent.

Are you reading it here or on the Olean?

His stuff gets posted here pretty quickly. Usually within the hour of being completed, or if after midnight - early the next morning.

ok, you are an avid hockey reader... Why weren't you reading his pieces if you don't mind me asking?

Well, I hate to say it, but I saw "Olean Times Herald" and didn't really take it seriously. But that's not fair -- the right thing to do is to read his stuff and evaluate it on its own.

Are you reading it here or on the Olean?

His stuff gets posted here pretty quickly. Usually within the hour of being completed, or if after midnight - early the next morning.

His articles have always been linked in the late afternoon. I don't think I've ever gone to the OTH web site to see if they're available earlier. GoBillsinDallas spoils me so much, I just assumed the articles weren't available before that.

I wasn't referring to the current arrangement.

I had been wondering why the Olean Times Herald was getting special treatment "above the fold" on the main page. (Don't have a problem with it; just was wondering.) I think it would be great if a sportswriter who regularly covers the Sabres wants to interact with us. Isn't there another poster here who is a sportswriter (but not a Sabres writer)--someone from Ohio maybe?

I like it. It's good to read another writer. I get bored reading the same ol' Bucky, Harrington stuff. I usually come right to the board and miss the front page articles, but I'll start looking.

That's bad. That means we aren't providing a valuable enough service to you.

What do we need to do better?

Like Freeman, I have wrongfully not read the articles because of the Olean heading. However, I did read the Biron article and it did provide some insight, most notably that Biron did have serious discussions about returning to Buffalo.

I will continue to read him and as far as I'm concerned, anybody with that kind of access and work ethic would be a welcome addition to the forum.

Like Freeman, I have wrongfully not read the articles because of the Olean heading. However, I did read the Biron article and it did provide some insight, most notably that Biron did have serious discussions about returning to Buffalo.

I will continue to read him and as far as I'm concerned, anybody with that kind of access and work ethic would be a welcome addition to the forum.

With regards to it being "only" in the Times-Herald - Bill wanted to emphasize that they cover the Sabres, Bills, and Bonnies basketball. They all travel and their in-depth coverage is quite extensive for a paper their size. Bill lives in Tonawanda too, so he's as close to the action as anyone else. He sends me his stuff from the press box...

I'll have to find out whether he wants to field questions here or via email. I know he likes email, but I think something a little more interactive here would be beneficial for all if that is something he is open to doing.

Well, I hate to say it, but I saw "Olean Times Herald" and didn't really take it seriously. But that's not fair -- the right thing to do is to read his stuff and evaluate it on its own.

Personally, I think the Olean Times Herald to have a sports page mush more like the older Buffalo News.

Chuck Pollock is my favorite Bills writer (other than Lori ;) )

Scott, you're on a roll!

Good idea. I read the articles daily.

"Biron, who was traded to the Flyers in 2007 after parts of nine seasons with the Sabres, had options, however. One of them included a return to Buffalo, where the 32-year-old would’ve backed up Ryan Miller. Even though the Sabres have a No. 2 in Patrick Lalime, Biron said the negotiations were “fairly serious.”

“Was I excited about possibly, maybe even thinking about coming back?” he said. “Definitely. I keep looking in the paper. I watch TV. I want to see what’s going on with (the Sabres). I know 95 percent of the guys very personally.”

But Biron likely would’ve played only about 20-25 games here. To become a starter again, he believes he needs to play regularly. So he signed a one-year, $1.4 million contract with the Islanders in late July, a move he said wasn’t about money."

Wow!

That would have been pretty cool.

The Sabres, thus far, seem to be the legitimate team in Buffalo right now.

But how cool would that be to have Marty back behind Miller?

I just gained some respect for Regier knowing that he was trying to get Biron back.

That's sweet. I actually never knew we had a reporter. I check the front page often, usually on game days and usually only clicked on the links to bigger media sources. I also wondered why the Olean times. I usually read a bunch of stuff already in my bookmark but still see the front page for anything i missed. Had no clue this guy had an affiliation with our web site and i will start reading more and more of his stuff.

Just stopping by to see how Mr. Hoppe is doing (and welcome aboard, btw! Glad SDS could work something out with you)...

FWIW, while the Times Herald normally does not update its Web site until late afternoon (by management decision), the paper actually has a 9:30 a.m. deadline. I've never asked Bill, but I always assumed he wrote directly after the game instead of waiting until morning, the same as Chuck does for a Bills night game. So if his postgame pieces read like a traditional gamer, there's a good reason for that -- that's exactly what they are.

Beyond that, Bill, an introduction might be in order. I know the basics: Bona grad and OTH Sabres beat writer since (I believe) 2003-04. You've also done some work for The AP, correct?

Aight, back to the dark side for me. Cheers ...

Cool Beans, Nice touch SDS,... Welcome aboard Bill always wondered about the Olean Times coverage so far south from Bflo..

FWIW, It also caught my eye becuase I had a job offer from Adelphia to move to Coudersport before they went bankrupt, their pitch included big shopping trips to Olean 45 minutes north when you wanted some variety.... Thank god my wife balked about the stepford wives quality of the tour of the town they gave her while I interviewed...

I used to sell the OTH as a kid. :nana:

Welcome to the best. I could always use another opinion Buffalo sports. I'll read your articles! Bucky's rants and Sully Vitrol are tiresome(not that I don't sometimes agree with them).

PA You probably have some nice young boy delivering your Times-Herald?

I used to sell the OTH as a kid. :nana:

Welcome to the best. I could always use another opinion Buffalo sports. I'll read your articles! Bucky's rants and Sully Vitrol are tiresome(not that I don't sometimes agree with them).

PA You probably have some nice young boy delivering your Times-Herald?

Nope. We have our own paper. :)

wonder, where did you live?

Archived