Ask Bill Hoppe... v1.0

SDS

Hey Bill. Is there any talk about putting Vanek back with Kennedy and Grier?

Nevermind I just saw it on Sabres TV that the line is back together with Mac moving up on the wing with Roy and Stafford.

Or is that Roy and Stafford moving down?

Bill -

Rick Carpinello of the Rangers blog wrote: "Hockey players were the most confidence-fragile of all athletes. I wonder why that is. But when they have it, it grows, and you can see it. When they don’t, it plummets, and you can see that, too. "

Sabres seem to be lacking confidence. Maybe one thing to stoke the fire: the Bruins play by play Jack Edwards referred to the Sabres as "cadavers" in the Boston TV broadcast. Any way of getting this little tidbit on the locker room bulletin board?

jz

• 2 weeks later...

Bill- Sabres are back at practice... are you back too or still on your own vacation? If you are, any updates from practice? And who's running practice, James Patrick?

Brian McCutcheon and James Patrick are running it. Kevyn Adams was on the ice yesterday. I'm not sure if he was today.

Question:

Which players are part of this group that has the meetings with Ruff?

They said it earlier in the season. I believe that it was everyone who usually wears a letter (Rivet, Roy, Hecht, Pommer, Goose), as well as Miller, Grier and maybe Vanek.

They said it earlier in the season. I believe that it was everyone who usually wears a letter (Rivet, Roy, Hecht, Pommer, Goose), as well as Miller, Grier and maybe Vanek.

And if the meeting comes during a weekday, every other player, alphabetically, starting with D.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill, I read in John Vogl's blog today that he's traveling from Fort Lauderdale to Raleigh via Tampa. Since I doubt that this is what the team is doing (they've gotta be on a direct charter, right?), I'm wondering whether any members of the press travel with the team anymore. I know it once was the normal practice in sports (Ring Lardner wrote about his travels), is it no longer the case? If so, about when did the change come about, and why?

So McNabb to the Bills for Lynch? What say U Bill?

Come on chz, that's like offering a six round pick with legal problems.

If by some miracle, Lynch is involved in a trade for Donovan, it would read more like:

Lynch, and two 2nd round draft picks for McNabb.

Not much in that article, was there?

Way to crap on a beat writer trying to come up with 100+ unique articles a year on our team, who takes the time to come here and offer us insight we wouldn't otherwise receive. Go $hit in some other thread, troll.

Way to crap on a beat writer trying to come up with 100+ unique articles a year on our team, who takes the time to come here and offer us insight we wouldn't otherwise receive. Go $hit in some other thread, troll.

+1.

Xray: exactly WTF is your problem?

Connecting a face with a name... I think almost every fan who has watched the postgame interviews would recognize Bill. I just saw his Facebook page.

Welcome aboard Bill.

This is probably the only reason why I know him, I've seen him every once in awhile at the postgame interviews. He has great hockey sense, and good insights about the Sabres.

I also liked his recent article where he wrote:

"Ruff scratched Montador four times during a 10-game span ending in early March. In three of his appearances around that stretch, the 30-year-old played less than seven minutes.

That’s hardly what the Sabres expected when they signed Montador a two-year, $3.1 million contract in July and heralded him as a strong, win-at-all-costs defender."

Truly it is a shame that Montador is/was such a waste. But he's been solid in a few games here and there, hopefully we'll have a good amount of trades in the offseason to further upgrade our team for the better.

He's a great writer from what I've read (his past 4 articles that is.) Very thoughtful, perceptive, and well he at least keeps me intersted (wheras the Buffalo News tells me things I already know... in each article they write.)

This is probably the only reason why I know him, I've seen him every once in awhile at the postgame interviews. He has great hockey sense, and good insights about the Sabres.

I also liked his recent article where he wrote:

Truly it is a shame that Montador is/was such a waste. But he's been solid in a few games here and there, hopefully we'll have a good amount of trades in the offseason to further upgrade our team for the better.

He's a great writer from what I've read (his past 4 articles that is.) Very thoughtful, perceptive, and well he at least keeps me intersted (wheras the Buffalo News tells me things I already know... in each article they write.)

I'm kind of curious as to why you would single out that line. It's one brief line and goes against the whole point of that column.

I'm kind of curious as to why you would single out that line. It's one brief line and goes against the whole point of that column.

Because it tells the truth.

Most Articles either bias with the management, not against it, from what I've seen anyways. Or else they're completely neutral and just say "changes need to be made."

Because it tells the truth.

Most Articles either bias with the management, not against it, from what I've seen anyways. Or else they're completely neutral and just say "changes need to be made."

So you're ignoring the part that talks about how he has turned it around as of late? I won't speak for Bill, but I'd imagine that portion of the column (you know, the rest of it) was kind of the point.

Archived