Ask Bill Hoppe... v1.0

SDS

So you're ignoring the part that talks about how he has turned it around as of late? I won't speak for Bill, but I'd imagine that portion of the column (you know, the rest of it) was kind of the point.

The fact is I did read that column, but I like the way he started it off with that.

He speaks of the negatives and positives, that's kind of what I was trying to get it, my apologies for not being clear.

The fact is I did read that column, but I like the way he started it off with that.

He speaks of the negatives and positives, that's kind of what I was trying to get it, my apologies for not being clear.

That's cool. We've had a bit of that selective reading going on around here lately.

You probably wouldn't see both Gaustad getting the extended ice time he gets and Vanek getting the limited ice time he gets with any other head coach.

I'd love to know if a perennial 40-goal scorer has ever had ice time this low in the history of the game.

I'd love to know if a perennial 40-goal scorer has ever had ice time this low in the history of the game.

I'd love to know if a perennial 40-goal scorer has ever played with less confidence and more spastic than Thomas Vanek. 6,999,999.90 hands, ten cent head.

I'd love to know if a perennial 40-goal scorer has ever played with less confidence and more spastic than Thomas Vanek. 6,999,999.90 hands, ten cent head.

Now you want to issue IQ points for goals? No one said any of these guys are MENSA candidates. If he can score 40 a year, then let him become more spastic and less confident.

Vanek has produced more efficiently than Ovechkin has, when considering ice time.

Vanek has produced more efficiently than Ovechkin has, when considering ice time.

I've seen your cute statistical breakdowns, but if you are starting a franchise, which would you rather have? Just say OV and some heart and some skill and you've got your franchisee. (I tried, albeit half-heartedly, or should I say Vanekly)

I've seen your cute statistical breakdowns, but if you are starting a franchise, which would you rather have? Just say OV and some heart and some skill and you've got your franchisee. (I tried, albeit half-heartedly, or should I say Vanekly)

Not a big fan of facts, eh? Of course I'd say OV. But if Vanek gets drafted by Washington and Ovechkin by Buffalo, the answer might have turned out very differently.

Not a big fan of facts, eh? Of course I'd say OV. But if Vanek gets drafted by Washington and Ovechkin by Buffalo, the answer might have turned out very differently.

While their hands may be similar ovechkin's skating, grittiness and flare can not be denied.

On the PP, only. With the exception of 2006-07, his 5-on-5 production (I only checked goals/minute TOI, but given how many more assists OV has, I'm guessing his ES points/minute TOI would be even lower) has been far worse than OV's even when TOI is factored in. Over the last three season, his goals/minute TOI has been 47%, 29% and 51% lower than OV's. Now, he does have a nice edge on OV on the PP, at least over the previous two seasons.

Edit: 2006-07, not 2005-06.

Bill, I read in John Vogl's blog today that he's traveling from Fort Lauderdale to Raleigh via Tampa. Since I doubt that this is what the team is doing (they've gotta be on a direct charter, right?), I'm wondering whether any members of the press travel with the team anymore. I know it once was the normal practice in sports (Ring Lardner wrote about his travels), is it no longer the case? If so, about when did the change come about, and why?

Paul Hamilton flies on the team charter sometimes. I don't know about other sports, but some writers or other media members fly with a few NHL teams. Like you said, it's not very common these days. I don't know exactly why or when it (mostly) stopped. The teams' privacy is a big thing. If you're a writer, trying to file a story and get to the airport is a major hassle. A bunch of media members still flew with the Bills into Marv Levy's tenure.

Bill, do you ever make it to any of these road games? If are in Boston for this one, I've heard that they feed the media really well in the arena, so enjoy that.

I'm at some of the road games. I'm not in Boston, however. I've also heard they feed the media well!

On the PP, only. With the exception of 2005-06, his 5-on-5 production (I only checked goals/minute TOI, but given how many more assists OV has, I'm guessing his ES points/minute TOI would be even lower) has been far worse than OV's even when TOI is factored in. Over the last three season, his goals/minute TOI has been 47%, 29% and 51% lower than OV's. Now, he does have a nice edge on OV on the PP, at least over the previous two seasons.

Like I said, Vanek has produced more efficiently than Oveckin has, when considering ice time.

Like I said, Vanek has produced more efficiently than Oveckin has, when considering ice time.

Has? Like did once in a season where he was on what was considered a third line and where his stats swung wildly from home versus away, or in just one situation? Then, yes. He has never done it consistently, though. In fact, once you include assists, too, he has never been more productive (per minute) even on the PP, and only in 2006-07 (corrected in my first post) was he more productive overall. Fact is, even ignoring all of the other things that OV brings to the game that Vanek does not, Thomas is only better (per minute) at one thing: scoring goals on the PP. OV gets you far more goals at ES and points both at ES and on the PP. 5-on-5, it's no contest; while on the PP, you have to argue goals versus total points.

Has? Like did once in a season where he was on what was considered a third line and where his stats swung wildly from home versus away, or in just one situation? Then, yes. He has never done it consistently, though. In fact, once you include assists, too, he has never been more productive (per minute) even on the PP, and only in 2006-07 (corrected in my first post) was he more productive overall. Fact is, even ignoring all of the other things that OV brings to the game that Vanek does not, Thomas is only better (per minute) at one thing: scoring goals on the PP. OV gets you far more goals at ES and points both at ES and on the PP. 5-on-5, it's no contest; while on the PP, you have to argue goals versus total points.

And OV will blow you up

• 3 weeks later...

Paul Hamilton flies on the team charter sometimes. I don't know about other sports, but some writers or other media members fly with a few NHL teams. Like you said, it's not very common these days. I don't know exactly why or when it (mostly) stopped. The teams' privacy is a big thing. If you're a writer, trying to file a story and get to the airport is a major hassle. A bunch of media members still flew with the Bills into Marv Levy's tenure.

Chuck still tells the story about Mike Vaccaro convincing Tom Chapman to pull over the Bonnies' team bus on the way home from WVU, so he could file his story about their epic beatdown at the hands of the Mountaineers. That's one REALLY good reason to travel separately.

Bill

How are the kids handling the playoff atmosphere during training? Do you see the vets talking to them more, or teaching them anything different?

I think they're handling it fine. I don't know if I see the veterans talking to them more or anything like that. They always make the youngsters feel extremely welcome. Funny, I actually saw Rivet using the white board with Pominville this morning after some power-play drills. Looks like Rivet's back on unit.

By the way, follow me on twitter @ BillHoppeSabres ... I'm tweeting the living ###### of out Game 3!

I think they're handling it fine. I don't know if I see the veterans talking to them more or anything like that. They always make the youngsters feel extremely welcome. Funny, I actually saw Rivet using the white board with Pominville this morning after some power-play drills. Looks like Rivet's back on unit.

By the way, follow me on twitter @ BillHoppeSabres ... I'm tweeting the living ###### of out Game 3!

Do teams place any restrictions on what reporters can write during a game -- whether it's a "blog" or Twitter or whatever? Do you think teams worry about fans leaving TV and radio broadcasts to follow the games online? There was a recent story about Sabres TV ratings being down this season.

Do teams place any restrictions on what reporters can write during a game -- whether it's a "blog" or Twitter or whatever? Do you think teams worry about fans leaving TV and radio broadcasts to follow the games online? There was a recent story about Sabres TV ratings being down this season.

This may help, from an incident from 2008-

My link

My link

Archived