The Music Thread

darksabre

Vonnegut is wrong; it's long been settled that the worst poet on Earth, nay, the galaxy, is Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings.

That doesn't sound like a Vogon name, but then you said worst, not third worst.

This has been making the round on NPR. I find it oddly compelling:

Good one, NS.  I love Siouxsie.  

Did you know Killing Joke in the 80's?  This song always knocked me out and still does.

Siouxsie has come a long way since she was part of the Pistols entourage on that infamous / famous Grundy show ...

She is right behind Paul.

Yeah, I remember Killing Joke ... not one of my favs, but you know that it`s hard when everybody else was going up against the only band that ever mattered.

The Sex Pistols were like the French Revolution - ugly, vile, repulsive, anarchic, short-lived, doomed from the start, and yet oh so satisfying.  They absolutely NEEDED to happen when they did, and things are so much better as a result of them.  You're going to laugh at this juxtaposition, but when I hear Elton John's Candle In The Wind, I think of the Sex Pistols, not Marilyn Monroe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll date myself with this one - don't care.

Two members of the classic lineup for the prog rock band Yes were at UB's CFA venue last night - Anderson (the singer) and Wakeman (the keyboard guy with a massive rig and hilariously pretentious capes). They are also touring with Trevor Rabin, who was part of the revival of the band in the 1980s. So, they're touring as ARW (rather than RAW or WAR, I guess).

Owing to the influence of my uncles, I was a huge fan of Yes as a teenager. Some time ago (2015), one of the band's founding and heart and soul members died (Chris Squire). Too soon (leukemia), but, then again, he was not a spring chicken either.

So when I heard this incarnation of Yes was in town, I resolved to go on a sort of last minute basis. Because these acts won't be around much longer, and Squire's death was a sad reminder of that. And so many of these aging acts are still worth seeing. I was glad I went - it was a great show.

Two members of the classic lineup for the prog rock band Yes were at UB's CFA venue last night - Anderson (the singer) and Wakeman (the keyboard guy with a massive rig and hilariously pretentious capes). They are also touring with Trevor Rabin, who was part of the revival of the band in the 1980s. So, they're touring as ARW (rather than RAW or WAR, I guess).

Owing to the influence of my uncles, I was a huge fan of Yes as a teenager. Some time ago (2015), one of the band's founding and heart and soul members died (Chris Squire). Too soon (leukemia), but, then again, he was not a spring chicken either.

So when I heard this incarnation of Yes was in town, I resolved to go on a sort of last minute basis. Because these acts won't be around much longer, and Squire's death was a sad reminder of that. And so many of these aging acts are still worth seeing. I was glad I went - it was a great show.

Love me some Yes.

I've reported you to the mods for making a disparaging remark about capes. Watch yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

So this guy Ray, who is a friend of a friend, is featured in the new Rush documentary.  I was in a fantasy football league that he ran and and I'd always try to show up for the draft early at his house each year so he could show me some of his insane memorabilia collection.  I still have a few bootlegs stashed away that he copied for me.

.Rush fan Ray Wawrzyniak has a collection of Rush memorabilia that, in his own words, is "enough to make the band clearly just cringe". 

Last Thursday at open practice, I was doing some routine stuff on hoop and the playlist was all grunge/alt rock/metal. Usually it's just top 40 dance stuff playing. 

I know there's quite the debate in here about loving/hating grunge, but I've been in a hole pretty much ever since. Spinning around upside down to Alice in Chains after a bad week was oddly cathartic. 

Last Thursday at open practice, I was doing some routine stuff on hoop and the playlist was all grunge/alt rock/metal. Usually it's just top 40 dance stuff playing. 

I know there's quite the debate in here about loving/hating grunge, but I've been in a hole pretty much ever since. Spinning around upside down to Alice in Chains after a bad week was oddly cathartic. 

Being from the Viet Nam generation, The Rooster has been my favorite song by them, the acoustic version is the best. Grew up with someone who was in the 101st Airborne division, he gave me just enough info to know the song is from that.

Being from the Viet Nam generation, The Rooster has been my favorite song by them, the acoustic version is the best. Grew up with someone who was in the 101st Airborne division, he gave me just enough info to know the song is from that.

Yeah! I believe Layne wrote it about his father's experiences in Nam? I remember a bit from a doc where his father actually came to one of his gigs, and was standing in the back. Layne saw him and they played Rooster last. Turned out to be really touching. 

That was the song that came on first, actually. Followed by Down in a Hole and Them Bones. Then there was some Screaming Trees and Pearl Jam before it kinda segued into some more modern stuff I don't really know or dig. It was a real nice change from the usual Bieber and Rihanna, though. 

Yeah! I believe Layne wrote it about his father's experiences in Nam? I remember a bit from a doc where his father actually came to one of his gigs, and was standing in the back. Layne saw him and they played Rooster last. Turned out to be really touching.

That was the song that came on first, actually. Followed by Down in a Hole and Them Bones. Then there was some Screaming Trees and Pearl Jam before it kinda segued into some more modern stuff I don't really know or dig. It was a real nice change from the usual Bieber and Rihanna, though.

Jerry wrote it about his dad. But yes, the rest is accurate. Awesome song, awesome band. I've seen them a handful of times. They still rock. I've got a few guitar picks from Jerry Cantrell and Mike Inez, and I just missed a drum stick the last time I saw them play.

Oh and Man In the Box used to be a karaoke staple for me on Sunday nights once upon a time. Haha

Jerry wrote it about his dad. But yes, the rest is accurate. Awesome song, awesome band. I've seen them a handful of times. They still rock. I've got a few guitar picks from Jerry Cantrell and Mike Inez, and I just missed a drum stick the last time I saw them play.

Oh and Man In the Box used to be a karaoke staple for me on Sunday nights once upon a time. Haha

Oh whoops! Got my details mixed up. 

That's awesome. They really grew on me the last few years. Guess I just wasn't ready for them when I was younger haha 

Having one of those nights where I go down a YouTube rabbit hole. Came up with this. Pretty much encapsulates my, and I dare say others, current mood:

https://youtu.be/m_oTWjDC9rU

Also, The Cure are quite possibly the best rock band ever.

Took my wife to see them at MSG this summer.  Easily one of the best concerts I've ever attended.  

My wife would sometimes sing, "I, am a cat, in a box. Meow, Meow Meow, Meow.. Meow, Meow Meow, Meow." when walking past the cats at home.

Took my wife to see them at MSG this summer.  Easily one of the best concerts I've ever attended.  

I try to explain to people how incredible they are live, and how different it is from what you get on the radio-friendly singles.  I never quite get my point across well enough, because there are not enough words in English. 

My wife would sometimes sing, "I, am a cat, in a box. Meow, Meow Meow, Meow.. Meow, Meow Meow, Meow." when walking past the cats at home.

Well, that's in my head now...

Haha. I always change the words to my wife's favorite songs, much to her displeasure. She yells at me and then laughs at me.