The Music Thread

darksabre

Funny story, when I was in 5th grade, my mom asked what instrument I wanted to play in the next year, and I thought, at the time, that the clarinet was the oboe, and the oboe was a clarinet. So when I told her i wanted to play the clarinet, she was surprised, but she went and bought me a really nice wooden clarinet from a pawn shop. I was surprised when i got it that it didn't look like what I thought it was. In an effort to not disappoint her, I stuck with the clarinet all the way from 6th grade up to 12th, playing in ensemble, jazz, and in a little quartet. A lot more fun than I anticipated, albeit with a lot of harassment growing up. Great instrument though. Mine still collecting dust on the shelf as well Bio...I do miss playing it though.

that's a good yarn. and as dork said: good on you for sticking with it -- the clarinet rawks. moreover, good on you for doing something like that so as not to disappoint your mom -- moms rawk as well (and should get more of that sort of effort from their kids than they do).

• 2 weeks later...

Taro's 0.14 BAC induced Hitch Hiking thread took me to this place. So, I must thank the mighty Taro for that.

A good live version recorded in St. Tropez in 1970. Even though the credits at the start list Nick as Mick Mason.

The studio album version is almost 24 minutes long. Back in the day when Floyd and others would have a whole LP side dedicated to just one song.

Live versions with full orchestra are much better, but they are over 20 minutes long.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I might have to pick up this CD. Stern was playing this song from the new ZZ top album a few weeks ago. He played it over and over so it was stuck in my head for awhile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PbyBDPPjbU

Awesome!

After listening to the link in your post I have to say it looks to me as if they bought their soul back after they sold it on that Terminator BS of an album. I love their early stuff and this effort has brought them back to their roots.

I like!!

Pop-Rock.

But I would just go with Awful.

#snickering. I've never been a Bon Jovi fan, so the #awful line is apropos.

I like edgier stuff like this:

I always saw Bon Jovi as a Pop Rockish Hair metal group for women.... doesnt really roll off the tongue but i think it sums it up.

Same thing goes for Ratt. I couldn't stand them back when they started, and the thought of them now makes me #cringe.

Awesome!

After listening to the link in your post I have to say it looks to me as if they bought their soul back after they sold it on that Terminator BS of an album. I love their early stuff and this effort has brought them back to their roots.

I like!!

I agree with your assessment. The older real bluesy stuff like tres hombres and rio grande mud to name a couple were so much better than their stab at the mass market. Getting back to what got them here is sounding good. I recently read a good interview with Billy Gibbens and Dan Auerbach of the Black keys in Rolling Stone where they discuss all the old american blues greats and their styles and in particular what it was about those guys that originally got them interested in the blues. A real good read.