The Music Thread

darksabre

This video has gone viral in the US and I must admit, I cannot get the song out of my head. It's catchy as hell.

Dude is considered a bit of an underground pop artist in South Korea, but he seems to put on a hell of a show. This video is supposedly a satirical piece, along the lines of something LMFAO would do, which is kind of his M.O. as an artist.

This video has gone viral in the US and I must admit, I cannot get the song out of my head. It's catchy as hell.

Dude is considered a bit of an underground pop artist in South Korea, but he seems to put on a hell of a show. This video is supposedly a satirical piece, along the lines of something LMFAO would do, which is kind of his M.O. as an artist.

That is catchy. You wonder about the satire aspect, or are they copying what they see in American videos? Amusing nonetheless. Reminded me of this video, which is just *so* ridiculous you wonder if tongue is planted in cheek or not.

(NSFW, language)

Die Antwoord are just....weird. The lead singer chick, Yolandi, has a kid named Sixteen Jones with that crazy lookin mustache dude. My girlfriend is the one that introduced me to the existence of that group.

She's been listening to this non-stop the last week or so.

I thought it sounded familiar, then realized it was the chick from that Heineken commercial. The girlfriend had no idea what I was talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

That is catchy. You wonder about the satire aspect, or are they copying what they see in American videos? Amusing nonetheless. Reminded me of this video, which is just *so* ridiculous you wonder if tongue is planted in cheek or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bdeizHM9OU

(NSFW, language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcXNPI-IPPM&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Ddie%2520antwoord%2520baby%2527s%2520on%2520fire%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CCIQFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.youtube.com%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DHcXNPI-IPPM%26ei%3DIEI9ULjnK-W26wH-sIH4Dg%26usg%3DAFQjCNHN-lpsY3mRo7p6z4ooiWq6rmmyzgthis is the best thing of theirs i've seen

Danse Bacchanale just popped up on my iPod and reminded me how much I effing love that song. We played this my senior year for our spring band concert (not quite this fast, though), and that telltale oboe solo at the beginning and frenetic pace at the end still give me chills.

http://youtu.be/RcAGFgPCigw

Danse Bacchanale just popped up on my iPod and reminded me how much I effing love that song. We played this my senior year for our spring band concert (not quite this fast, though), and that telltale oboe solo at the beginning and frenetic pace at the end still give me chills.

man, that is some stuff right there.

and i learned something -- turns out i had no idea what an oboe actually looks like. i guess i knew it was a reed instrument, but ... i don't know. i didn't realize that i would mistake it for a clarinet.

man, that is some stuff right there.

and i learned something -- turns out i had no idea what an oboe actually looks like. i guess i knew it was a reed instrument, but ... i don't know. i didn't realize that i would mistake it for a clarinet.

Haha -- well, to be fair, they look pretty similar at a glance. Clarinets are a little bit bigger, and the mouthpiece is different (still reed, but reed against plastic vs. the thin standalone reed on the oboe). Incidentally, I played clarinet all through school and still have it collecting dust somewhere.

Haha -- well, to be fair, they look pretty similar at a glance. Clarinets are a little bit bigger, and the mouthpiece is different (still reed, but reed against plastic vs. the thin standalone reed on the oboe). Incidentally, I played clarinet all through school and still have it collecting dust somewhere.

Funny story, when I was in 5th grade, my mom asked what instrument I wanted to play in the next year, and I thought, at the time, that the clarinet was the oboe, and the oboe was a clarinet. So when I told her i wanted to play the clarinet, she was surprised, but she went and bought me a really nice wooden clarinet from a pawn shop. I was surprised when i got it that it didn't look like what I thought it was. In an effort to not disappoint her, I stuck with the clarinet all the way from 6th grade up to 12th, playing in ensemble, jazz, and in a little quartet. A lot more fun than I anticipated, albeit with a lot of harassment growing up. Great instrument though. Mine still collecting dust on the shelf as well Bio...I do miss playing it though.

Funny story, when I was in 5th grade, my mom asked what instrument I wanted to play in the next year, and I thought, at the time, that the clarinet was the oboe, and the oboe was a clarinet. So when I told her i wanted to play the clarinet, she was surprised, but she went and bought me a really nice wooden clarinet from a pawn shop. I was surprised when i got it that it didn't look like what I thought it was. In an effort to not disappoint her, I stuck with the clarinet all the way from 6th grade up to 12th, playing in ensemble, jazz, and in a little quartet. A lot more fun than I anticipated, albeit with a lot of harassment growing up. Great instrument though. Mine still collecting dust on the shelf as well Bio...I do miss playing it though.

I remember in the summer before 4th grade at Lancaster when they made us pick what instrument we wanted to start playing the next year, I chose Oboe and Saxophone, then they sorta picked for you. I was actually disappointed when I didn't get Oboe, but I'm glad they made me a sax player. Some day I'll pick it back up again. B-)

I remember in the summer before 4th grade at Lancaster when they made us pick what instrument we wanted to start playing the next year, I chose Oboe and Saxophone, then they sorta picked for you. I was actually disappointed when I didn't get Oboe, but I'm glad they made me a sax player. Some day I'll pick it back up again. B-)

I had a sense that there was a reason I was not supposed to like you.

*Depew High School grad*

:P

I miss it, too. I actually inherited my mom's wooden clarinet (she used to be really good in high school), and even though all the pads had to be replaced at some point and some of the keys stuck, it was still much preferable to the plastic ones everyone else was using. And good on you for sticking with it... we had one guy who played clarinet in middle school, and he was shamed into the tuba by high school. ;)

Another funny story: apparently it's relatively easy to switch between clarinet and saxophone since the keys are laid out in a similar fashion. My first day of high school band, the instructor said he was going to ask me if I'd wanted to switch since they had so many clarinets already, but changed his mind because "he thought I was bigger". :huh:

I miss it, too. I actually inherited my mom's wooden clarinet (she used to be really good in high school), and even though all the pads had to be replaced at some point and some of the keys stuck, it was still much preferable to the plastic ones everyone else was using. And good on you for sticking with it... we had one guy who played clarinet in middle school, and he was shamed into the tuba by high school. ;)

Another funny story: apparently it's relatively easy to switch between clarinet and saxophone since the keys are laid out in a similar fashion. My first day of high school band, the instructor said he was going to ask me if I'd wanted to switch since they had so many clarinets already, but changed his mind because "he thought I was bigger". :huh:

What does that even mean?