Miller Signs 5 year extension

WNY-Enforcer

That's probably pretty close to where he should be. A little bit less than Lundqvist.

True, and about where we figured he'd end up.

That is a "hometown" discount by Miller, IMHO. He would have been over $7M / year next summer...

I am very impressed by Miller and the front office for getting it done.

It also puts huge pressure on Pominville to give a little discount to his adopted hometown.

Agreed.

Great job Darcy! :thumbsup:

All is now well since Miller can afford to get the surgery to align his eyes properly to improve his depth perception. <_<

What poster was it that came up with that cockamamie theory? Classic stuff.

:lol:

In the spirit of trying to be positive, the numbers($$$) could have been worse. To be honest, it doesn't matter what the $$$ are, Millers GAA, save % and shootout numbers have to be better if the Sabres are going anywhere next year or for the 5 after, that he just signed for.

Although I disagree that he really needs to improve much more in the GAA and save % category (facing less shots because he has a better D in front of him, and a more consistent offence in front will help those stats out) I am definitly going to disagree with the bolded part. Last year he had a career year for shutouts. You don't have to have a bunch of shutouts to be a good goalie, as long as your offence is capable of putting up 2+ goals a night, which the Sabres offence shouldn't have a problem with. You don't need to shut teams out to be good, you just need to keep the team in games.

I'm glad to see that he is going to be a Sabre long term, I didn't think they were getting serious in negotiations with him just yet, and I knew that if he went into the season without a new deal, his chances of staying would be fairly slim. But hey, what else is the front office going to do right now? FA is pretty much done, and theres still a little bit of time til arbitration hearings, they might as well do something

Although I disagree that he really needs to improve much more in the GAA and save % category (facing less shots because he has a better D in front of him, and a more consistent offence in front will help those stats out) I am definitly going to disagree with the bolded part. Last year he had a career year for shutouts. You don't have to have a bunch of shutouts to be a good goalie, as long as your offence is capable of putting up 2+ goals a night, which the Sabres offence shouldn't have a problem with. You don't need to shut teams out to be good, you just need to keep the team in games.

I'm glad to see that he is going to be a Sabre long term, I didn't think they were getting serious in negotiations with him just yet, and I knew that if he went into the season without a new deal, his chances of staying would be fairly slim. But hey, what else is the front office going to do right now? FA is pretty much done, and theres still a little bit of time til arbitration hearings, they might as well do something

I was talking about SHOOTOUTS NOT SHUTOUTS. :rolleyes:

Great job Darcy! :thumbsup:

All is now well since Miller can afford to get the surgery to align his eyes properly to improve his depth perception. <_<

What poster was it that came up with that cockamamie theory? Classic stuff.

Why even bring that comment up?

...because it's funny as hell. :thumbsup:

I have to stick up for that one.

That was Dwight Drane's, but he's kind of our Art Bell, able to tweak out a good hypothesis from a a handful of seemingly unrelated facts. He only has to be right once.

When he survives the coming singularity he'll be the one laughing at us.

Why should he be embarrassed? Unconventional yes, but a hell of a lot more interesting than the lastest FO rant that has the facts completely wrong.

That is true.

I'm happy to see the team do something ahead of time, and I guess I can back off of my assumption the sale of the team is upon us.

I'm lukewarm on Miller. I like the guy and hope he does well, but I think the book has been out on the Sabres for so long that they may be in for a prolonged stretch of mediocre hockey. It's still a culture problem. Rivet for Bernier didn't change it.

As crazy as anyone thinks the eye theory is.....I know for a fact that every time Miller lets in a 32' floater this season that you are going to think about it. I'll be laughing....you'll be swearing. That's enough vindication for me.

And as far as X. goes, the simple solution to the singularity is God. People work so hard at trying to live forever, and wondering about aliens, and get all hepped up with science and technology. But the bottom line is that human nature is so greedy and sinful that any technology we create will revert to the lowest common denominator, thus causing more distruction than good for humanity. The singularity will pretty much be the Tribulation in the Bible. People are so funny. All they need to do is believe. That doesn't take too much work!

As crazy as anyone thinks the eye theory is...

I'll be laughing too...and crying inside. I'm also a little tepid as to Miller's greatness, but in all honesty, if signing him shuts up some of the tards, today will be a good day.

I'd have to give a round of applause to both sides on this deal. I assume Ryan wanted long term, probably longer than 5 years. I assume the FO wanted to pay him a bit less, maybe 5.6 a year over 4 years. The deal seems like both sides compromised a bit.

It's good to have players here that want to play here. It's good to have a FO that may have learned it's lesson in regards to waiting to negotiate with your own FA's. It's a good day today.

edit: I liked Darcy's dig on himself during the presser: was it too much money Darcy? "Well, If you know me it's always too much money"

Actually. listening to Darcy on GR, they offered long term, Miller countered with shorter, and they settled on the five year deal.

I'll be laughing too...and crying inside. I'm also a little tepid as to Miller's greatness, but in all honesty, if signing him shuts up some of the tards, today will be a good day.

Speaking of tards, who would put "greatness" and "Ryan Miller" in the same sentence? Wait, I know!

Not sure how anyone can see this as anything but a very good, if not great signing. The number is about right and they have their goaltending taken care of for the forseable future.

Spot on - nice post which sums up what the other 5 pages are trying to say!

Paul Hamilton on WGR550 reports....

$31.25 / 5 years.....$6.5 million / year.

Great math, Paul.

I think he prefers a different kind of San Fransico treat. :thumbsup:

Oh, Ink. Didn't one of your complaints of the week relate to typos in posts? Now you've got to answer.

I'm happy to see the team do something ahead of time, and I guess I can back off of my assumption the sale of the team is upon us.

I'm lukewarm on Miller. I like the guy and hope he does well, but I think the book has been out on the Sabres for so long that they may be in for a prolonged stretch of mediocre hockey. It's still a culture problem. Rivet for Bernier didn't change it.

As crazy as anyone thinks the eye theory is.....I know for a fact that every time Miller lets in a 32' floater this season that you are going to think about it. I'll be laughing....you'll be swearing. That's enough vindication for me.

I'm glad you're changing your tune on the sale of the team. Tom W. -- has your position evolved on this one as well? Did we seal that bet?

As for the culture issue -- it's still there, but signing Teppo (if we do so) will go a long way towards remedying the leadership/grace under pressure shortage. I really want a tough veteran forward.

I agree that your theory will live in infamy whenever the floaters go in.

Anyway -- I'm late to the party (I'm actually overseas on vacation, so the time change is messing up my posting schedule), but I'm extremely psyched about this signing. As I've mentioned many times, I'm a big fan of Miller's. I actually thought it was going to cost closer to $40 million for us to keep him, and I was worried that we weren't going to go that high. So I think today is a great day for the Sabres. We signed Miller exactly 17 days into the permitted period for signing him (although I recognize that other teams apparently didn't observe the July 1 rule, but whatever), at a nice, fat, market-rate contract -- but without having to get married for 7-8 years.

I think Pominville will be next, and I think that those 2 signings will send a message around the league that will go part of the way toward dispelling the cheapskate reputation that the Sabres probably have been tagged with.

I just want Teppo plus a blood-and-guts forward, and then I'm going to start making rash predictions about next year...

Go Sabres.

Great math, Paul.

Oh, Ink. Didn't one of your complaints of the week relate to typos in posts? Now you've got to answer.

I'm glad you're changing your tune on the sale of the team. Tom W. -- has your position evolved on this one as well? Did we seal that bet?

As for the culture issue -- it's still there, but signing Teppo (if we do so) will go a long way towards remedying the leadership/grace under pressure shortage. I really want a tough veteran forward.

I agree that your theory will live in infamy whenever the floaters go in.

Anyway -- I'm late to the party (I'm actually overseas on vacation, so the time change is messing up my posting schedule), but I'm extremely psyched about this signing. As I've mentioned many times, I'm a big fan of Miller's. I actually thought it was going to cost closer to $40 million for us to keep him, and I was worried that we weren't going to go that high. So I think today is a great day for the Sabres. We signed Miller exactly 17 days into the permitted period for signing him (although I recognize that other teams apparently didn't observe the July 1 rule, but whatever), at a nice, fat, market-rate contract -- but without having to get married for 7-8 years.

I think Pominville will be next, and I think that those 2 signings will send a message around the league that will go part of the way toward dispelling the cheapskate reputation that the Sabres probably have been tagged with.

I just want Teppo plus a blood-and-guts forward, and then I'm going to start making rash predictions about next year...

Go Sabres.

Free, hope you are enjoying vacation.

As I'm sure you recall, I never equated the contract negotiations with the sale of the team. I still believe that the team will be sold in the near future.

And yes, as I said, I applaud the sale of the team and I am looking forward to the season starting.

Archived