Miller Signs 5 year extension

WNY-Enforcer

What amazes me is how giddy fans were over the signing of Miller.

When you offer a player who is closer to the middle of the pack as far as goaltenders, top 5 money, it's not a huge achievement to sign him.

To my mind paying Gaustad and Miller a combined $8.55 million of the cap spells trouble.

The Gaustad contract is mind boggling for a player who should be a 4th liner seeing 3rd line duty only when there are injuries.

Gaustad had to be the least skilled foward in the NHL with 1400+ minutes of ice time last year.

The only forward on this team that he's clearly more skilled than is Andrew Peters.

Least skilled forward?

Funny, I seem to remember him playing every forward position, every unit, standing in the kitchen, and being a beast on the dot. If he has no skill, at least we locked up an over-achiever. ;)

Least skilled forward?

Funny, I seem to remember him playing every forward position, every unit, standing in the kitchen, and being a beast on the dot. If he has no skill, at least we locked up an over-achiever. ;)

I guess you could say he is an overachiever when it comes to time on the ice .

But little else.

Faceoffs ok I'll give him recognition there but that's a far cry from being a complete forward.

As I say Peters is the only forward he is clearly more skilled than.

Going by ice time I believe that even Mair is the equal of Guastad.

Paul Gaustad's points per minute of ice time is abysmal.

But little else.

Faceoffs ok I'll give him recognition there but that's a far cry from being a complete forward.

:) as is your choice of metric.

But little else.

My picture of the Sabres without the Goose is not pretty.

:) as is your choice of metric.

The metric that decides games is which team scores the most goals.

He's isn't an outstanding defensive player , they don't use him to shut down the top lines.

He isn't reaaly an enforcer (if he was then again his contract would be excessive)

And he doesn't bring any scoring threat.

He registers a lot of hits and does well with faceoffs.

I've been watching hockey for a long time and this player isn't my definition of a core player , or worse yet captain as some suggest.

My picture of the Sabres without the Goose is not pretty.

Here is something to ponder .

If the sabres has 3 Derek Roy's they'd be a hell of a team.

Likewise if the had 3 Vanek's or 3 Pomenville's.

If they had 3 Gooses the smart fans would be cursing mother Goose.

And the others would catch on eventually when they discover that the Gooses or Geese are making a lot of noise bouncing players off the boards but never lighting the lamp.

The key players are the players that can win games for you.

He's isn't an outstanding defensive player , they don't use him to shut down the top lines.

He isn't reaaly an enforcer (if he was then again his contract would be excessive)

I've been watching hockey for a long time and this player isn't my definition of a core player , or worse yet captain as some suggest.

It's a team that wins championships not indivdual players. Just ask Jagr, OV, Crosby, to name a few.

You are saying that if we had three Roy's and a bunch of Geese that we would be a better team? or are you trying to say that a team can't be all great players and middle of the roaders? What is your point? You don't like Goose or you like him? You like him for this but not that? Are there any players that don't have flaws? Are there players that are just "all good" with no bad points to speak of?

Goose is a leader on this team. He sticks up for his teammates see OV:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wins a good number of faceoffs. You can't have a whole team of Gaustads and expect to win a championship, but he's a very good piece of the team.

Here is something to ponder .

Or not.

If the sabres has 3 Derek Roy's they'd be a hell of a team.

Likewise if the had 3 Vanek's or 3 Pomenville's.

If they had 3 Gooses the smart fans would be cursing mother Goose.

And the others would catch on eventually when they discover that the Gooses or Geese are making a lot of noise bouncing players off the boards but never lighting the lamp.

The key players are the players that can win games for you.

By which, I mean to say: And if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass a-hoppin'.

The fallacy of the logic here is staggering and multi-faceted. Suffice to say: A team cannot be built as a homogenous collection of skilled and effete forwards -- a guy like Goose fills a need and a role on the ice and off of it. It's legitimate to say that the Sabres overpaid for him, but it's inane to say that the marginal nature of his value can be seen in a hyopthetical involving 2 of his clones.

What amazes me is how giddy fans were over the signing of Miller.

When you offer a player who is closer to the middle of the pack as far as goaltenders, top 5 money, it's not a huge achievement to sign him.

To my mind paying Gaustad and Miller a combined $8.55 million of the cap spells trouble.

The Gaustad contract is mind boggling for a player who should be a 4th liner seeing 3rd line duty only when there are injuries.

Gaustad had to be the least skilled forward in the NHL with 1400+ minutes of ice time last year.

The only forward on this team that he's clearly more skilled than is Andrew Peters.

When it comes to $ and the cap, we have far worse deals than Gaustad's. You do know that he will be the 11th highest paid Sabre in terms of cap hit next year? He's behind Vanek, Roy, Hecht, Max, Connolly, Kotalik, Rivet, Spacek, Lydman, Tallinder and Miller (still under his old contract). Pommer will double Goose's salary (deservedly so) when he extends. I think you grossly underestimate Goose's abilities, but even if you only slightly underestimate them, his $2.3 million hit it not extreme. Did you see the deals that were handed out this summer? Guys with less abilities and one year under their belt were given $4 million a year.

Or not.

By which, I mean to say: And if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass a-hoppin'.

The fallacy of the logic here is staggering and multi-faceted. Suffice to say: A team cannot be built as a homogenous collection of skilled and effete forwards -- a guy like Goose fills a need and a role on the ice and off of it. It's legitimate to say that the Sabres overpaid for him, but it's inane to say that the marginal nature of his value can be seen in a hyopthetical involving 2 of his clones.

EFFETE! Only you, me, Leo Buscaglia and Mike Emrick would use that word!

Or which team allows the least. Either way, the difference needed is one.

He is extremely sound positionally, and he does, especially in the final minutes.

He plays a very smart puck possession game with the cycle, and is a big ass screen.

But that isn't talent?

Fair enough. He's not going to make any all-star teams, but neither will Matt Cullen, Bob Holik, Mike Sillenger, Matt Lombardi or Rob Neidermayer.

The difference between core or journeyman in that category is probably length of contract. But every team needs guys like them.

Another important issue, look at next year's crop of goalies in free agency. Who starts if they don't get this deal done? That group of free agents is attrocious. We would have been looking at a pair of Lalimes and the occasional Enroth start. That right there is pure terror.

When it comes to $ and the cap, we have far worse deals than Gaustad's. You do know that he will be the 11th highest paid Sabre in terms of cap hit next year? He's behind Vanek, Roy, Hecht, Max, Connolly, Kotalik, Rivet, Spacek, Lydman, Tallinder and Miller (still under his old contract).

I'm not applaused that he's behind those players in salary and it is not news to me that he is.

Gaustad should be behind all those players in salary and he should be behind other players too.

Did you know that each team has a highest paid and a lowest paid player?

With that in mind I will tell you that Gaustad belongs towards the lower end not the higher end.

Pommer will double Goose's salary (deservedly so) when he extends. I think you grossly underestimate Goose's abilities, but even if you only slightly underestimate them, his $2.3 million hit it not extreme. Did you see the deals that were handed out this summer? Guys with less abilities and one year under their belt were given $4 million a year.

If everything was in balance he should more paid than triple Goose's salary if not quadruple .

Did you know that Vanek makes close to 10 times what Adam Mair does ?

So why is the Goose a special banger why should he be paid 4 times more than Mair ?

I think you grossly underestimate Goose's abilities, but even if you only slightly underestimate them, his $2.3 million hit it not extreme.

I do not underestimate his talent.

He is in no way shape or form a 1400 minute of ice time player.

He is a 3rd/4th line banger.

Guys with less abilities and one year under their belt were given $4 million a year.

Who ??

Who Finger from the Leafs ?

LOL

Tell me who these 'guys' are.

Or which team allows the least. Either way, the difference needed is one.

He is extremely sound positionally, and he does, especially in the final minutes.

He plays a very smart puck possession game with the cycle, and is a big ass screen.

But that isn't talent?

Fair enough. He's not going to make any all-star teams, but neither will Matt Cullen, Bob Holik, Mike Sillenger, Matt Lombardi or Rob Neidermayer.

The difference between core or journeyman in that category is probably length of contract. But every team needs guys like them.

Oh Lord.

I'm shocked that I need to inform you that Paul Guastad is not in that class of player .

This post of yours should win some sort of hockey forum blooper award.

Rob Neidermayer ?

Holik ?

:blink:

Just because I was doubting my own sanity.....

I checked a head to head chart from a close game, the March loss to the Rangers.

Gaustad shared 11.2 minutes of Jagr time and was clearly matched with the Jagr-Dubinsky-Avery

http://www.timeonice.com/H2H0708.html?Game...5&submit=Go

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/GS021045.HTM

Now you're just being a jerk. You probably know what you are talking about a lot of the time, but it is OK for people to disagree with you. Believe it or not.

You need to read before you run your trap because you're being a jerk.

Did you not see the poster ask me if I knew Gaustad was paid less that Vanek, Roy etc ?

Learn to read .

I'm not applaused that he's behind those players in salary and it is not news to me that he is.

Gaustad should be behind all those players in salary and he should be behind other players too.

Did you know that each team has a highest paid and a lowest paid player?

With that in mind I will tell you that Gaustad belongs towards the lower end not the higher end.

If everything was in balance he should more paid than triple Goose's salary if not quadruple .

Did you know that Vanek makes close to 10 times what Adam Mair does ?

So why is the Goose a special banger why should he be paid 4 times more than Mair ?

I do not underestimate his talent.

He is in no way shape or form a 1400 minute of ice time player.

He is a 3rd/4th line banger.

Who ??

Who Finger from the Leafs ?

LOL

Tell me who these 'guys' are.

$2.3 million per is 3rd line, top face off man, penaly kill type of money. I've stayed out of your mostly blustery arguments because I can see both sides of the argument but I am not sure what your problem is with Gaustad. It could be argues that the salary is a little high, but it is in no way extremely out there.

Oh Lord.

I'm shocked that I need to inform you that Paul Guastad is not in that class of player .

This post of yours should win some sort of hockey forum blooper award.

Rob Neidermayer ?

Holik ?

:blink:

Let's remember your metric. Quick. Who had a better point per minute ratio last year?

Without looking, I'm betting Gaustad.

So are we already playing the "I have nothing of value to add, so I'll just call people stupid" game? There's something to what you're saying, but the way you're saying it is going to cause problems. But then again, that's exactly what you want, isn't it?

Just because I was doubting my own sanity.....

I checked a head to head chart from a close game, the March loss to the Rangers.

Gaustad shared 11.2 minutes of Jagr time and was clearly matched with the Jagr-Dubinsky-Avery

http://www.timeonice.com/H2H0708.html?Game...5&submit=Go

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/GS021045.HTM

Are you aware that the strength of competition Gaustad faces is near the bottom compared with other Sabres players ?

You can't slide these misleading stats by me of all people.

The NYR did have Jagr , Gomez and Drury , Ruff would almost need to bench Gaustad to see to it that he's not on the ice with one of their name players .

You're not even close to being on the right track.

FACT : The strengh of competition that Gaustad lines up against is one of the lowest among Buffalo Sabres

Would you like a link ?

Are you aware that the strength of competition Gaustad faces is near the bottom compared with other Sabres players ?

You can't slide these misleading stats by me of all people.

The NYR did have Jagr , Gomez and Drury , Ruff would almost need to bench Gaustad to see to it that he's not on the ice with one of their name players .

You're not even close to being on the right track.

FACT : The strengh of competition that Gaustad lines up against is one of the lowest among Buffalo Sabres

Would you like a link ?

Sure, give us a link.

Although at the time Jagr-Dubinsky-Avery was the NYR's most productive line.

Why isn't Gausad in the class of Rob Neidermayer, or Bobby Holik at this stage of his career? They seem like fair comparisons to me.

You need to read before you run your trap because you're being a jerk.

Did you not see the poster ask me if I knew Gaustad was paid less that Vanek, Roy etc ?

Learn to read .

Yeah I did see that. I had no problem with the basic content of your response, either. Did you not see that I said you were being a jerk specifically for throwing in, "Did you know that each team has a highest paid and a lowest paid player?"

It added nothing to your argument and makes it look like you are more interested in pissing people off rather than actually having a discussion. Every time you do it, you make it harder for people to take the rest of your stuff seriously.

But hey, carry on, I need to go learn to read while running my trap.

Archived