Miller Signs 5 year extension

WNY-Enforcer

Free, hope you are enjoying vacation.

As I'm sure you recall, I never equated the contract negotiations with the sale of the team. I still believe that the team will be sold in the near future.

And yes, as I said, I applaud the sale of the team and I am looking forward to the season starting.

Really? Why would you applaud the sale of the team? That's no good. I hope you meant to say that you applaud the signing of Miller and not the sale of the team.

Free, hope you are enjoying vacation.

As I'm sure you recall, I never equated the contract negotiations with the sale of the team. I still believe that the team will be sold in the near future.

And yes, as I said, I applaud the sale of the team and I am looking forward to the season starting.

Thank you sir. First big trip with the kids. We are having a great time, although it would be nice if the dollar weren't weaker than Brian Murray's palate.

I do remember you disagreeing with DD about the contracts' effect on a sale of the team -- my question to you was just a bit of semi-free association about whether you still held the same opinion about an upcoming sale.

Uh oh, sound the alarms - Darcy called Ryan "young":

"He's established himself as one of the top young goaltenders," general manager Darcy Regier said. "When you're talking about conference finals, playoff wins, what he's done in the playoffs, what he's done in his career ... when you look at his history, it's not about potential. This is a goaltender that we believe in."

LINK

Really? Why would you applaud the sale of the team? That's no good. I hope you meant to say that you applaud the signing of Miller and not the sale of the team.

Mis-typed. My wife agreed to watch a friends two small children, my eight year old decided we should have another of her friends over and my wife decided she would be late today. 5 children between 4 and 9 with the oldest being autistic and I wrote applaud rather then expect.

To answer Free, I still do expect the sale of the team within a relatively short amount of time.

Damn... Now what are we going to fret over for the rest of this endless off season? :D

Food Prices!

I just came back from Topps and almost puked. Since coming up to Buffalo more often, I have purchased Canadian beer for the most part. For the price and availability....I'm sold all day. Today I had a taste for some other types. I look at Sam Adams....$15.55 a 12 pack. I look at Bass....$15.55 a 12 pack. I ended up whimping out with a 12 of Labbatt 50 Ale for $7.99.

Also.....made a stockpile of food in early March when I knew the do-do was going to hit the fan with the banks. Bought a bunch of good pasta for $1.69 a lb. Today at the same store...$2.55

Consumers are going to hit the wall come Christmas. I'm blessed that I don't have to drive much and don't have a family to raise. I really feel for a bunch of people right now.

Why should he be embarrassed?

Unfortunately I know from personal experience what it's like to lose depth perception, so even if the eye alignment thing was an issue for Miller, shots from the point would be the least likely to cause him difficulty.

Unconventional yes, but a hell of a lot more interesting than the lastest FO rant that has the facts completely wrong.

I'm with you there. :thumbsup:

Uh oh, sound the alarms - Darcy called Ryan "young":

"He's established himself as one of the top young goaltenders," general manager Darcy Regier said. "When you're talking about conference finals, playoff wins, what he's done in the playoffs, what he's done in his career ... when you look at his history, it's not about potential. This is a goaltender that we believe in."

LINK

I agree. This kid is going to be terrific!

That's okay. In 3 years he is going to go from a "kid" to over the hill.

Oh no, at 31, he's going to be "hitting his stride." Right BM?

The words of the late Chuck Dickerson come to mind: If they don't bite as puppies, they won't bite as dogs.

Oh no, at 31, he's going to be "hitting his stride." Right BM?

The words of the late Chuck Dickerson come to mind: If they don't bite as puppies, they won't bite as dogs.

The credibility of anyone who quotes Chuck Dickerson is questionable at best.

Lot of interesting comments from both sides. I hope the Corsi-Ruff plan actually comes to fruition and they stick to it:

?I consider last year as a hiccup,? Miller said. ?To be honest, there were a couple games I should have been better, we all could have. We think we have a lot to prove this year.

?I?ll say this: If they put me in the same amount of games [as they did] last year this time, I?ll be better prepared. We all want to put a better plan in place. I?ve approached them about that. We have to be smart about things, don?t get caught [playing] 30-some games in a row.?

?Most goaltenders his age aren?t involved in that kind of ice time,? General Manager Darcy Regier told reporters in HSBC Arena. ?That was a real learning position for him and the organization. We?re in a better position to support him now, both on defense and at backup [with the addition of veteran Patrick Lalime]. . . . Ryan and Lindy and [goaltending coach] Jim Corsi are going to lay out Ryan?s schedule going forward to allow him both quality rest and lots of games.?

Lot of interesting comments from both sides. I hope the Corsi-Ruff plan actually comes to fruition and they stick to it:

"I consider last year as a hiccup," Miller said. "To be honest, there were a couple games I should have been better, we all could have. We think we have a lot to prove this year.

"I'll say this: If they put me in the same amount of games [as they did] last year this time, I'll be better prepared. We all want to put a better plan in place. I've approached them about that. We have to be smart about things, don't get caught [playing] 30-some games in a row."

"Most goaltenders his age aren't involved in that kind of ice time," General Manager Darcy Regier told reporters in HSBC Arena. "That was a real learning position for him and the organization. We're in a better position to support him now, both on defense and at backup [with the addition of veteran Patrick Lalime]. . . . Ryan and Lindy and [goaltending coach] Jim Corsi are going to lay out Ryan's schedule going forward to allow him both quality rest and lots of games."

I'd make that the Ruff-Corsi Plan. :) But it seems to me no one has asked Lindy about it yet. Lindy is the friggin' coach, and the last time I checked, he's not the kind of guy who's going to let Darcy, let alone Ryan and Patrick, dictate who starts in goal, and how often.

Ryan's The Man now, the Franchise Goalie, and I imagine there's going to be pressure to let him fill that role. The Franchise Goalie and "quality rest" seem at odds with each other. Then again, Lindy didn't put too much pressure on The Franchise Forward last season, giving him so little ice time Vanek actually ended fifth among forwards, behind even Paul Gaustad.

I'd make that the Ruff-Corsi Plan. :) But it seems to me no one has asked Lindy about it yet. Lindy is the friggin' coach, and the last time I checked, he's not the kind of guy who's going to let Darcy, let alone Ryan and Patrick, dictate who starts in goal, and how often.

Ryan's The Man now, the Franchise Goalie, and I imagine there's going to be pressure to let him fill that role. The Franchise Goalie and "quality rest" seem at odds with each other. Then again, Lindy didn't put too much pressure on The Franchise Forward last season, giving him so little ice time Vanek actually ended fifth among forwards, behind even Paul Gaustad.

I called it the Corsi-Ruff plan because I don't think Lindy does a good job in managing his goaltenders and their playing time.

Just because Ryan is the franchise goalie it doesn't mean he has to play 75 games.

I think he can get "quality rest" if he plays around 60-65 games ... that's still one of every 4 or 5 for Lalime ... much different than 34 in a row.

Agreed. 20 games for Lalime is perfect. That 34 in a row was bad when it was going on and looks even worse in hindsight.

Yoga accident. They brought in the damn Jaws of Life and everything, to no avail. :(

OK, obviously I'm missing some sort of inside joke or something. That's OK, it isn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. :D There's no mention of his death on his wikipedia page, so I'll just assume that he's still alive.

Not that I really care anyways, I'm not in his will or anything. I was just curious.

OK, obviously I'm missing some sort of inside joke or something. That's OK, it isn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. :D There's no mention of his death on his wikipedia page, so I'll just assume that he's still alive.

Not that I really care anyways, I'm not in his will or anything. I was just curious.

The page has been updated. :chris:

heard about the miller and paille signings while on vacation - happy about both.

they have their goaltending taken care of for the forseable future.

they're locked in and committed to miller, that's for sure. but given how the wheels wobbled last year (they didn't come off), i'm a little anxious to see how well the goaltending needs will be taken care of for the foreseeable future.

but maybe that's just the chicken little in me -- the guy has shown that he can get it done (to wit, ecf's in '06 and '07).

What amazes me is how giddy fans were over the signing of Miller.

When you offer a player who is closer to the middle of the pack as far as goaltenders, top 5 money, it's not a huge achievement to sign him.

To my mind paying Gaustad and Miller a combined $8.55 million of the cap spells trouble.

The Gaustad contract is mind boggling for a player who should be a 4th liner seeing 3rd line duty only when there are injuries.

Gaustad had to be the least skilled foward in the NHL with 1400+ minutes of ice time last year.

The only forward on this team that he's clearly more skilled than is Andrew Peters.

Archived