Miller Signs 5 year extension

WNY-Enforcer

The Miller situation looks, to me, like the classic "damned if you do and damned if you don't" deal. He knows that the team can't afford to lose another of their star players, that they have little organizational depth after him, and that they don't want to have the same distraction Soupy had last season. They may not have, but my gut tells me they probably did overpay to make sure he stayed in Buffalo and didn't sniff the FA market.

Now it's time for Miller to put up. The defense and forwards have to be better than they were last year, but he clearly has to be as well.

Like you said damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm really torn on this one. On one hand, glad to see them being proactive. On the other hand, like I said yesterday, the Sabres better hit home runs on guys they decide to hand over big money to that will become the core of team. I'm just not convinced that Miller is a "home run"

Guest Sloth

Holy crap! I'm drinking tonight fella's! Yesterday, I was HOPING the Sabres would sign him to a 5 year deal! Job security, people! Job security! That's what the players want. Now I'm hoping they sign Pomminstein to a 7 year deal. Hmm...I wonder if you guys think I have inside sources.

Are you ever happy with anything?

Do you read my posts? If my posts are nothing but negativity, I would have no problem with your statement, but I am far from that.

Let me go put on my rose colored glasses, head over to the arena and kiss some ass. Would that make you happy? <_<

here's a good article about Miller: http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1229/1/

"I also want to point out something very important to all of the Miller believers, fans and owners out there. It has to do with the amount of focus he needs to perform at a high level game-in, game-out. We all know he likes to sit on the bench stare at the boards in order to focus. It seems like a superstitious but smart thing to do in order to get ready for an NHL game, right. But how much mental focus is being wasted on non-game situations? "

I'm really not sure what that is suggesting.

He wastes too much energy preparing?

I do think they overpayed, but it won't compare to the money he would have received on the open market next July. This is a message that management has learned from past mistakes. Obviously they could screw up again, but I really do believe this proves they are committed to hanging on to our most important guys. Pommer is next. Buffalo suddenly looks like a much more attractive option for players now that they know we have a good goalie for 5 years.

Do you read my posts? If my posts are nothing but negativity, I would have no problem with your statement, but I am far from that.

Let me go put on my rose colored glasses, head over to the arena and kiss some ass. Would that make you happy? <_<

I may have been a bit harsh and I apologize. It must have been the general tone of this board about recent moves. I think it is a good signing and doubt they got burned by it. No way Miller was going to sign for 3 years. I am glad it is not for 7-8 years. Pretty sure there is a easy buyout near the end. Sorry again.

Paul Hamilton on WGR550 reports....

$31.25 / 5 years.....$6.5 million / year.

That is a "hometown" discount by Miller, IMHO. He would have been over $7M / year next summer...

I am very impressed by Miller and the front office for getting it done.

It also puts huge pressure on Pominville to give a little discount to his adopted hometown.

That's probably pretty close to where he should be. A little bit less than Lundqvist.

Getting $6.5 / year makes him the 4th highest-paid goalie in the league if you look at the numbers on this site...http://www.nhlnumbers.com/sort.php?pos=G&type=none

Those are then Lundquist yearly average. So, not out of whack with the market. Waiting for DR on Sabres TV. It says 12.30 but Mike Harrington wrote is starts at 12.45 now. So far I have yet to see them start on time. So, I'm going to guess it will start more like 12.50-12.55.

Getting $6.5 / year makes him the 4th highest-paid goalie in the league if you look at the numbers on this site...http://www.nhlnumbers.com/sort.php?pos=G&type=none

Whether it's $6.25 or $6.5, in a year or 2 it will barely be top 10; and by the time the deal is done it won't be anywhere close to that.

Archived