Miller Signs 5 year extension

WNY-Enforcer

YESSSSS!!!!!!! This is great news for the Sabres. I'm extremely happy by this. If we can get Pominville under contract to a 5-6 year deal, this will be a pretty good offseason in terms of keeping our own players. I'm very happy by this news.

I'd still like to see one more center and one more defenseman, but I can be happy with the team we have knowing that Miller will be around for the next 5 years.

Finally, the organ-eye-zation is loosening the rope a little bit. Great move getting Ryan for 5. On to POMMER next.

And I still say, this team needs one more vet leader on D or O. He doesn't need flashy numbers, but someone who knows how to win down the stretch. Who's with me here?!

GO SABRES!!

Salary guesses? I'll say $32.5M total. I hope that I'm a little high, but who knows.

I'm thinkin' 28 million. They could pay more. Thereis a bunch of cap space left coming up in 09-10 if you consider that Connolly and Max are gone, possibly Lydman and Tallinder replaced full time by Sekweb...

We clearly don't sign any of our players to long-term deals nor do we work to keep our players in Buffalo.

/sarcasm

Good to see they got something hammered out. That being said, I am interested in seeing what the 5-year deal is worth.

I'm thinkin' 28 million. They could pay more. Thereis a bunch of cap space left coming up in 09-10 if you consider that Connolly and Max are gone, possibly Lydman and Tallinder replaced full time by Sekweb...

Come on guys! You all know it's going to be 5 for 25! :w00t:

here's a good article about Miller: http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1229/1/

"I also want to point out something very important to all of the Miller believers, fans and owners out there. It has to do with the amount of focus he needs to perform at a high level game-in, game-out. We all know he likes to sit on the bench stare at the boards in order to focus. It seems like a superstitious but smart thing to do in order to get ready for an NHL game, right. But how much mental focus is being wasted on non-game situations? "

I was wishing(as unrealistic as it seemed) that the Sabres could ink him to a 3 year deal. I have a gut feeling the Sabres got bent over on the deal. Let's see what the numbers are.

The Miller situation looks, to me, like the classic "damned if you do and damned if you don't" deal. He knows that the team can't afford to lose another of their star players, that they have little organizational depth after him, and that they don't want to have the same distraction Soupy had last season. They may not have, but my gut tells me they probably did overpay to make sure he stayed in Buffalo and didn't sniff the FA market.

Now it's time for Miller to put up. The defense and forwards have to be better than they were last year, but he clearly has to be as well.

Archived