Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Open for business.

My grandma died on Tuesday. Although it was her time, and she went peacefully, it's been a bad week.

You have my condolences.

Losing a loved one trumps anything I've got today.

Open for business.

My grandma died on Tuesday. Although it was her time, and she went peacefully, it's been a bad week.

Corp, my condolences.

I do still have a complaint though. My little sister had a "cardiac episode" at school on Tuesday, collapsed and blacked out, is having heart palpitations, with a sinus arrhythmia. We've taken her to 2 doctors, and an ER, and they don't have any idea what's wrong with her, just that she has an irregular heartbeat right now, and had low potassium levels. She's not getting better either. It is so nerve racking not knowing what's wrong. We are trying to see a special cardiologist in Syracuse, and if we can't get in soon enough, we're driving out to Buffalo's Children's (we're in Dryden, NY). :unsure:

I've never complained on here,at least that I can remember but now its time. March 1st my son woke up and had trouble peeing. He's 13. He'd been having aches in his lower abdomen for about a month but our general practitioner misdiagnosed the cause. Went to a urologist and he did a rectal check with the finger and his exact words were " oh my god,he's got a mass blocking his urethra " Worst thing I've ever heard. Long story short he had an mri at the local hospital and was rushed to vancouver to bc childrens hospital by ambulance. Catheter inserted,cat scans,more mri,pet scan and right into a regimen of chemo that will run till dec2. Just finished 6 weeks of radiation treatment that ran 2 minutes a day and is still getting chemo.Turns out he has (pardon my spelling) a rhabdomiosarcoma. I've been told they see about 30 cases a year in Canada. Its a growth thats wrapped itself around his urethra,prostate,rectum and has grown into his bladder lining. Lost his hair so i shaved mine but thankfully after 3 months he's finally had the catheter removed. He's been poked,prodded and had what seems like every indignity a 13 year old can have but all in the name of his survival. Doctors and nurses are amazing and top notch for their fields. Drugs, medication coming out of our ying yangs. Back and forth to the hospital,probably 2 months stay so far between the bc childrens hospital and the easter seal house down the street from the hospital. Countless ferry rides back and forth to and from Nanaimo to vancouver. He's doing ok and another mri coming up on the 17th of june to gauge the shrinkage of the growth. All I can say is I've got lots to complain about but I thank god every day that I live here and am under Canadas medical system because this treatment,the hospital stay,the travel, all of it. Mri's,cat scans,pet scans x-rays,medications, its all been absolutely FREE. Not a cent spent and what I have spent is a tax write off for the year. So you will never hear me complain about our system or my sons treatment. Thats all i got.

I've never complained on here,at least that I can remember but now its time. March 1st my son woke up and had trouble peeing. He's 13. He'd been having aches in his lower abdomen for about a month but our general practitioner misdiagnosed the cause. Went to a urologist and he did a rectal check with the finger and his exact words were " oh my god,he's got a mass blocking his urethra " Worst thing I've ever heard. Long story short he had an mri at the local hospital and was rushed to vancouver to bc childrens hospital by ambulance. Catheter inserted,cat scans,more mri,pet scan and right into a regimen of chemo that will run till dec2. Just finished 6 weeks of radiation treatment that ran 2 minutes a day and is still getting chemo.Turns out he has (pardon my spelling) a rhabdomiosarcoma. I've been told they see about 30 cases a year in Canada. Its a growth thats wrapped itself around his urethra,prostate,rectum and has grown into his bladder lining. Lost his hair so i shaved mine but thankfully after 3 months he's finally had the catheter removed. He's been poked,prodded and had what seems like every indignity a 13 year old can have but all in the name of his survival. Doctors and nurses are amazing and top notch for their fields. Drugs, medication coming out of our ying yangs. Back and forth to the hospital,probably 2 months stay so far between the bc childrens hospital and the easter seal house down the street from the hospital. Countless ferry rides back and forth to and from Nanaimo to vancouver. He's doing ok and another mri coming up on the 17th of june to gauge the shrinkage of the growth. All I can say is I've got lots to complain about but I thank god every day that I live here and am under Canadas medical system because this treatment,the hospital stay,the travel, all of it. Mri's,cat scans,pet scans x-rays,medications, its all been absolutely FREE. Not a cent spent and what I have spent is a tax write off for the year. So you will never hear me complain about our system or my sons treatment. Thats all i got.

that must be harrowing for a Dad. Wishes for continued good health.

Corp, my condolences.

I do still have a complaint though. My little sister had a "cardiac episode" at school on Tuesday, collapsed and blacked out, is having heart palpitations, with a sinus arrhythmia. We've taken her to 2 doctors, and an ER, and they don't have any idea what's wrong with her, just that she has an irregular heartbeat right now, and had low potassium levels. She's not getting better either. It is so nerve racking not knowing what's wrong. We are trying to see a special cardiologist in Syracuse, and if we can't get in soon enough, we're driving out to Buffalo's Children's (we're in Dryden, NY). :unsure:

How young? I wouldn't screw around. Get her to see a pediatric cardiologist ASAP. Don't wait.

Dr. Finnerty in Elmira is an excellent pediatric cardiologist.

965 West Church Street

Elmira, NY 14905-2049

ph.(607) 737-0200

Open for business.

My condolences, Corp. It's never easy, even when it's time.

Prayers for father and son. Can't imagine what your family has been through. My greatest blessing has been two happy healthy boys. Your nightmare is every parent's greatest fear.

Yikes. Glad to hear that this is progressing well. I sincerely hope that remission is right around the corner.

• Like (+1) 1

As someone who has posted on this board way too often from a hospital room, I wish you and your son the best. I don't know if it's the same thing but my sister went through something similar when she was 9. She'll be 50,.. er, I mean 49 again next year.

How young? I wouldn't screw around. Get her to see a pediatric cardiologist ASAP. Don't wait.

Dr. Finnerty in Elmira is an excellent pediatric cardiologist.

965 West Church Street

Elmira, NY 14905-2049

ph.(607) 737-0200

She's 17. Every medical professional says she needs to see a pediatric cardiologist until she is 21. Just looked the place up, that's only 10 minutes from where I work.

Thanks!

Keep strong. It is a helpless feeling to be at the total mercy of others, but I'm glad you are happy with the support system. Your son is an absolute saint.

I know you have a good head on your shoulders and it sucks to be stuck in this chaos, but try and educate yourself as much as possible and find other caregivers with similar experience. The situation seems as far from normal as possible, but slowly you tame everything to a new normal and feel more in control. Doctors are human too and only have so many hours in the day, so any rational involvement on your part can only help.

You guys are in my prayers.

Wow... I got nothing.

Corp - sorry for your loss, and I hope your family can find consolation knowing that she went peacefully.

bunomatic - I can't even imagine what you and your family have been through (and how you haven't complained about it before). Really glad to hear you seem to have good doctors on your side, and I hope your son continues to improve so you can all get back to living life. Good health is a gift we often take for granted until we don't have it, and I wish a large dose of it for you and yours, who are clearly overdue.

My prayers go out to both of you and your families. Friends are great but families are blood and what really matters in the long run.

Best wishes for better days ahead.

Well, this has been a heavy Thursday complaint day! My grandma is gone, so I think that all prayers go to your families. As for my grandma, I appreciate all of your condolences. I have truly found peace over the past couple of days.

Thanks for all the kind words. Sorry to fill your thoughts with my families problems but sometimes its good to get it out. The boy is doing good considering and they give him a 70% chance of survival which leaves about 30% of which we don't even let cross our minds. He'll be infertile due to the radiation so we had a biopsy done and banked his sperm. Seemed like the right thing to do and one day him and his potential wife will thank us. Again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Sabrespace is filled with the best people and I've come to admire many of you. Cheers.

Thanks for all the kind words. Sorry to fill your thoughts with my families problems but sometimes its good to get it out. The boy is doing good considering and they give him a 70% chance of survival which leaves about 30% of which we don't even let cross our minds. He'll be infertile due to the radiation so we had a biopsy done and banked his sperm. Seemed like the right thing to do and one day him and his potential wife will thank us. Again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Sabrespace is filled with the best people and I've come to admire many of you. Cheers.

Definitely good people here. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Hopefully we'll be able to get a good diagnosis (positive too) on my sister as to why her heart is doing what it's doing. she got into the cardiologist up in Syracuse, so we're headin up tomorrow morning.

Holy ######. Just read this thread for the first time in months. Buno, I hope your son is ok. Keep your chin up, as tough as that might sound.

Not as heavy subject as the preceding but I think I'm going to propose...again. Been together for a couple years now but I'm feeling trepidation due to my failed marriage. I thought I had everything but it was a sham. I think this is the one but I can't shake my mistake.

Well, this has been a heavy Thursday complaint day! My grandma is gone, so I think that all prayers go to your families. As for my grandma, I appreciate all of your condolences. I have truly found peace over the past couple of days.

Prayers to you as well. Things ain't like they used to be, and it hurts more and more to see links to the past drift on.