Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'm hoping what  I have doesn't turn into that.  PS maybe listen to Josie? take a rest boss. :P

ha HA!

Yeah man, d4rk sounded awful. It was beyond "oh it's just the flu". Sounded like he was garble coughing under water, except there was no phlegm coming up. Oh, and he looked awful and has dropped a few pounds. 

So yesterday, when I started feeling a little... off... I went home early, took the night off, took some zinc and ate real food and hit the hay early. I feel ok today, but I'm still suspicious. I had complete rubber legs. My body was begging me to shut it down. I'm pretty sure it was my immune system trying to kick in like a grumpy old heater. I'm not playing around with this one! 

Just go to the doctor if you start coughing. That's what I'm gonna do from now on. If only to get that sweet sweet codeine cough syrup :lol:

There more I look at the time line, the less I think I had the flu. I think I had a sinus infection that turned into pneumonia.

Going to the doctor today actually haha.  The boss (my wife obviously) instructed me to not come home until I visited the doctor lol.  In all seriousness though, I can't take any risks with the boys, although they seem to have a pretty decent immune system so far.  They've been sick once, but kicked it after a week or so.  That week was hell, but the two times I've been sick since, they never got anything.  

Going to the doctor today actually haha.  The boss (my wife obviously) instructed me to not come home until I visited the doctor lol.  In all seriousness though, I can't take any risks with the boys, although they seem to have a pretty decent immune system so far.  They've been sick once, but kicked it after a week or so.  That week was hell, but the two times I've been sick since, they never got anything.  

That's good news. Yeah, I would not be screwing around with illness if I had twins to take care of. Ain't nobody got time to be sick! 

I spent three months studying the incorrect way for the physics GRE. I read and took notes on the entire prep book, trying very hard to pull together my understanding of the material. But understanding the material doesn't matter. I know now that I should have been just taking practice tests and learning to solve each particular question the fastest possible way, looking for every shortcut possible. It's not really about understanding physics. 

I had to answer each question that I knew how to do for sure, because there weren't as many of those as I would have liked. One of them, for example, was a basic special relativity time dilation question. It was a plug-and-chug. But you're supposed to average under 2 minutes per question. Without a calculator, squaring a decimal, subtracting it from one, taking the square root, and dividing a number by that, under pressure, took me like 4 minutes to be sure I had it right. So instead of studying special relativity, I should have memorized gamma factors for popular values of the speed of light, but I didn't even think about doing stuff like that, so the questions took me way too long. I have a fairly high degree of confidence in the answers I got, but I didn't answer enough questions. There were also at least 20 questions on material I haven't learned in any class yet, but everyone has to deal with that to some extent. 

It was a miserable time. I don't think it'll matter too much, though.

I spent three months studying the incorrect way for the physics GRE. I read and took notes on the entire prep book, trying very hard to pull together my understanding of the material. But understanding the material doesn't matter. I know now that I should have been just taking practice tests and learning to solve each particular question the fastest possible way, looking for every shortcut possible. It's not really about understanding physics.

I had to answer each question that I knew how to do for sure, because there weren't as many of those as I would have liked. One of them, for example, was a basic special relativity time dilation question. It was a plug-and-chug. But you're supposed to average under 2 minutes per question. Without a calculator, squaring a decimal, subtracting it from one, taking the square root, and dividing a number by that, under pressure, took me like 4 minutes to be sure I had it right. So instead of studying special relativity, I should have memorized gamma factors for popular values of the speed of light, but I didn't even think about doing stuff like that, so the questions took me way too long. I have a fairly high degree of confidence in the answers I got, but I didn't answer enough questions. There were also at least 20 questions on material I haven't learned in any class yet, but everyone has to deal with that to some extent.

It was a miserable time. I don't think it'll matter too much, though.

It won't. Strong letters, GPA, and personal statement >>>>>>>>> GRE scores.

Just learned that my supervisor for friday night might be sick, and no one can replace him, so besides my own mess (which my function was created for), I will have to deal with his work as well.

+ lead the warehouse and office.    

Reason for this happening, not getting suitable replacements for the people that left over the years and being stuck with incompetent co-workers.

That's good news. Yeah, I would not be screwing around with illness if I had twins to take care of. Ain't nobody got time to be sick! 

Even with one kid, you suddenly become a lot more careful about washing and not getting sick. RosePie has been sick a few times, but (knock on wood) seems to snap out of it pretty quickly. I'm the same way, so hopefully she's picked up the old man's internal defenses.

Lame complaint: why is it when I get to the airport super early for my flight, the flight is inevitably delayed?

Legit complaint: both my stepmom and my brother have been unemployed for about a year now. Both had promising job interviews over the last two weeks, and neither one got the job. :( And my stepmom is officially uninsured now after they kicked her off Medicaid because she apparently makes too much money from her unemployment benefits to qualify, even though she has enormous student loan payments that would make her eligible as a single person.

Dropped everything to do a RED ALERT! last minute request from the boss. Finished it in record time. Couldn't be bothered to look at it because OMG it's drop everything and go to the bar time!!!!!! 

Managed to grab him on his way out, but man, the priorities here... He couldn't come in until 430 pm last Friday because of a hangover. Bunch of the others just didn't bother showing up.

Give me strength.... 

Dropped everything to do a RED ALERT! last minute request from the boss. Finished it in record time. Couldn't be bothered to look at it because OMG it's drop everything and go to the bar time!!!!!! 

Managed to grab him on his way out, but man, the priorities here... He couldn't come in until 430 pm last Friday because of a hangover. Bunch of the others just didn't bother showing up.

Give me strength.... 

That is a valid reason and I don't think you appreciate  your boss much :p

Idle office chit-chat.

My headphones are in. I'm working. Don't wander over and start talking to me about banal things just because you don't have anything to do. Find something to do. Leave me alone.

Sometimes I miss blue collar co-workers. They don't chit-chat or ask me to take time out of my evenings to make food for office pot luck lunches and other stereotypical "office" .

1. My bench press has been stuck at 355 for almost two months. I've changed my routine, what muscle groups I work together, the times I go....nothing has worked. I just can't break through that wall.

2. I can't get my weight above 220. No matter how much protein/carbs/fat I take in I just can't gain weight. I suspect complaint 2 is a factor in complaint 1.

3. I hate millennials.

3. I hate millennials.

I'm raising two of them.  Makes for some really interesting conversations about life, love and the pursuit of happiness.  Every generation believes the ones before them and after them have screwed things up..

I'm raising two of them.  Makes for some really interesting conversations about life, love and the pursuit of happiness.  Every generation believes the ones before them and after them have screwed things up..

Ain't that the truth!

Was brought upstairs by the bosses for a "conversation", aka, "you seem disengaged". They proceeded to tell me how disappointed they were I wasn't using this new animation program. "But I did an entire game in it back in May" says, I. "oh. We forgot". Says they. 

Told me they were unhappy with some UI I did for a game. Next sentence, what you did do was really great! So What's the problem? "Eh, you just seem... unhappy. And that needs to change."

Yes, I have been disengaged. It's hard not to be. Not easy to give 110% to people who don't respect you. I did for years, I guess I mentally checked out earlier this year. It's not good on my part. I feel bad. I haven't missed any deadlines or inconvenienced anyone, but I do feel guilty. 

I decided that in a couple of weeks, enough to blow them away on my newest assignment, I'm going to tell them I wish to quit at the end of the year.

I'll be facing unemployment besides my freelance (which means I'll be below poverty level) until I can hopefully find a job in Buffalo, or decide to go back to school. I am talking to a person I met who's a professor at University of Oregon about my options in going nutritional/veterinary science. 

I'm terrified, but I need to do it. I'm walking away from an ok salary and feeling like sh!t about it, but I don't know if I'll live through the winter if I don't. My mental health is gone. I'm in bad shape. 

They dropped this on me on Tuesday, so I was in pretty rough shape long before the election finished up. 

Oh, sorry, I'm just a stupid millenial- I'm sure I'm just an ungrateful sack of sh!t! Hang on, looking for those f**king bootstraps...

I'm going to flip the table - I'm a millennial that hates old people. Three people I'm close to have been hit by a car  driven by a male over 50 on purpose as pedestrians since JULY. WHAT THE . Y'all have a problem with millennials, I have a problem with how old sociopaths deal with their hatred of modern society. 

I don't actually hate old people and obviously most of them are very nice and not like this. I can't even believe this though. The one guy refused to call 911 as the kid was bleeding out of his busted legs onto the street. 

Oh, sorry, I'm just a stupid millenial- I'm sure I'm just an ungrateful sack of sh!t! Hang on, looking for those f**king bootstraps...

Accurate. You make a decent salary doing a job you're good at and may or may not enjoy but you don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from your bosses. You have it better than most. Find them bootstraps.

I'm going to flip the table - I'm a millennial that hates old people. Three people I'm close to have been hit by a car driven by a male over 50 on purpose as pedestrians since JULY. WHAT THE ######. Y'all have a problem with millennials, I have a problem with how old sociopaths deal with their hatred of modern society.

I don't actually hate old people and obviously most of them are very nice and not like this. I can't even believe this though. The one guy refused to call 911 as the kid was bleeding out of his busted legs onto the street.

JFC man that is just unreal. Are those people alright? Was the driver different in each instance?

Really though, there are about 5 millenials on this board, and we're pretty damn good at being civil and driving conversation. So, can we knock it off with the millenial garbage? And I'm not just talking about the most recent instance, it's always on here

Edited by WildCard

I'm going to flip the table - I'm a millennial that hates old people. Three people I'm close to have been hit by a car  driven by a male over 50 on purpose as pedestrians since JULY. WHAT THE ######. Y'all have a problem with millennials, I have a problem with how old sociopaths deal with their hatred of modern society. 

Did I read that right? That guy hit three people? How is he not in jail?

JFC man that is just unreal. Are those people alright? Was the driver different in each instance?

Really though, there are about 5 millenials on this board, and we're pretty damn good at being civil and driving conversation. So, can we knock it off with the millenial garbage? And I'm not just talking about the most recent instance, it's always on here

I consider it more of a running joke. Do you really take offense to it?