Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'm amazed at how awful customer service has been in the NC area since I moved down here.  At this point, I can't count the number of places I have called for quotes on a service (landscaping, movers, doctors offices, you name it) and never got a return call.  Are companies here really so busy that they're going to turn down a shot at more business?  If nothing else, I'm going to learn a ton of new skills because it seems like I can't count on anyone for anything.

I'm amazed at how awful customer service has been in the NC area since I moved down here.  At this point, I can't count the number of places I have called for quotes on a service (landscaping, movers, doctors offices, you name it) and never got a return call.  Are companies here really so busy that they're going to turn down a shot at more business?  If nothing else, I'm going to learn a ton of new skills because it seems like I can't count on anyone for anything.

They're all afraid you're going to eat their babies.

Having a similar problem with getting quotes from moving companies here.  I have to get quotes from 2 of the 3 contracted by the University for them to pay it up front, and the first came out right away but the second I submitted two online requests and finally called a few times before they got back to me.  Then several days between the time I submitted my info to the point person before the local rep finally reached out, and he called Tues. around 9:30am asking if I was available to meet at 11am.  WTF, dude... who works like that?  I asked him if we could meet at 5-5:30pm Friday since I'm not local during the week, and he said he doesn't like to meet after 4pm since he lives an hour away and asks me to just send him a list of my furniture and he'll do an estimated weight that way.  So freaking lazy... do you honestly not want my business?  A move from PA to CO is going to be expensive, and you can't be bothered to make time to physically walk through my house.  Crazy.

Oh yeah, and HR people (again).  Started work on Aug. 10th, signed up for benefits online on Aug. 24th (printed confirmation).  Received no email confirmation I was registered and kept getting email reminders to register, so I contacted the benefits office on Sept. 4th and they said yes, I'm registered and should get ID cards in 10-15 days.  I know at least some of it was processed because they deducted the premiums from my paycheck this week, but I have yet to receive any cards proving I have insurance.  Called the medical insurer to ask if I could get my member ID so I can at least register online and print a temporary card (need to refill an Rx), and they gave me my # but when I enter it online it won't recognize the info as valid.  Call again, was told the # is valid but "I haven't been uploaded into their system yet".  This was three days ago.  WTF, people?  Why is this so difficult?

###### FanDuel and ###### DraftKings and please, for the love of all that is good in this world, stop blaring your ###### advertisements at me every five minutes.

OMG THIS.

Another semester, another crop of students, another "interesting" one. 

Girl who texts on her phone as I speak to her is fun, so is slacker guy who ends nearly every conversation with "well I would spend more time on this but I'm married" and points to his ring,  but then there's this one boy. 

This individual let me know that he has a mental issue. Nothing specific. Perfectly fine. I could tell he has some problems. We worked it out so he can leave early on days where he's really having trouble. Cool. No big deal. Had this before. 

Kid refuses to take any advice I give him, produces horrible work, tears everyone else's work down, misuses big words, is generally an ass. Emails me daily, LONG LONG LOOONG emails. Then sends follow up emails as to why I haven't responded, or if my response wasn't satisfactory. Endless. If i haven't responded, the SECOND I walk into class (he's there up to 40 minutes early) he runs up to me and accuses me of ignoring his needs. 

His piece for the first crit was pretty bad. He got a lower but not terrible grade (i'm pretty lenient on the first piece). I was nicer than I should've been, given the attitude/lack of effort. 

This kid contested his grade. First one I've had do it. Like, full on nearly pitched a tantrum, took up 30 minutes of class (individual reviews) explaining to me that I don't understand. 

College kids. There's a nut in every sundae. 

###### FanDuel and ###### DraftKings and please, for the love of all that is good in this world, stop blaring your ###### advertisements at me every five minutes.

Seconded.

The wife is back at it with traveling for work and she's scheduled to be in Puerto Rico from the week of Sept 28 to sometime in mid-October. So, we picked a weekend that would work for her so I could take a couple days to fly down and visit. I mean...Puerto Rico in October. Not bad, right?

So, I request the two days from my management yesterday. We will be in the middle of a big project (for which I am the lead engineer) when I want to take the time off, but given the schedule as to where we'd be at the time, I didn't see an issue with it. My management's response was effectively "You can take the time off, but you are responsible if something goes awry or if your absence delays or impacts the project." You tell me what I ended up doing...

Gonna get more personal than I like to online, but this one is eating at me.

About 10 years ago Dad had a pretty aggressive melanoma removed from his chest.  It wasn't a small deal.  it had started to spread.  Dad is/was a chronic sunburner.  We are of northern European lineage, and accordingly light skinned.  I've had my share of sunburns too.  So..... around mid July something popped up on the back of the base of my neck.  Didn't think much of it at the time.  I did manage to scratch it open at one point.  But when it "healed" it healed funny.  Kept it on watch for a couple weeks.  Last week I called my doctor to get it looked at.  Saw him on Monday.  He said it may be nothing, but being there for 2 months now it needs to get evaluated.  So..... calling dermatologist offices to get this thing biopsied.  the absolute earliest appointment I could get in the entire Buffalo AND Rochester areas is November 30.  2 more frigging months.   The place nearest me can't see me until JANUARY!  I have told every person that I spoke with that this is a cancer evaluation, not a cosmetic issue.  Best I can get is put on a waiting list if people cancel their appointments.

You gotta be kidding me.  Needless to say, there is a good bit of worry at the Weave house until this thing gets looked at.  We both know how quickly skin cancer moves.  it's difficult to not get dramatic about this.

Is this health care in America now?   this.

About 10 years ago Dad had a pretty aggressive melanoma removed from his chest.  It wasn't a small deal.  it had started to spread.  Dad is/was a chronic sunburner.  We are of northern European lineage, and accordingly light skinned.  I've had my share of sunburns too.  So..... around mid July something popped up on the back of the base of my neck.  Didn't think much of it at the time.  I did manage to scratch it open at one point.  But when it "healed" it healed funny.  Kept it on watch for a couple weeks.  Last week I called my doctor to get it looked at.  Saw him on Monday.  He said it may be nothing, but being there for 2 months now it needs to get evaluated.  So..... calling dermatologist offices to get this thing biopsied.  the absolute earliest appointment I could get in the entire Buffalo AND Rochester areas is November 30.  2 more frigging months.   The place nearest me can't see me until JANUARY!  I have told every person that I spoke with that this is a cancer evaluation, not a cosmetic issue.  Best I can get is put on a waiting list if people cancel their appointments.

You gotta be kidding me.  Needless to say, there is a good bit of worry at the Weave house until this thing gets looked at.  We both know how quickly skin cancer moves.  it's difficult to not get dramatic about this.

Is this health care in America now?  ###### this.

:(  I hope it turns out to be benign.

My wife sees a dermatologist for a specific condition (luckily nothing bad like cancer) who sees patients one day a week for 4 hours.  She's the one who specializes in this condition, so is pretty much the only option.  What a sham that is.  What's the point of even keeping a doctor on staff to see patients if the hours are that crazily restricted?  Maybe you're running into something like this.  Either way, what a lousy situation.

Hope its all good man! 

Oh no. I hope the waitlist moves swiftly and it turns out to be nothing. 

Weave, I had a mole show up on my back earlier this summer, and had it on watch as well.  I actually went to my PCP for the same reason: no one could get me in until months out.  My primary care physician actually did the whole removal process in his office, and is sending it out to the hospital (Cayuga Medical Center in Ithaca) to get it biopsied.  Maybe ask your PCP if he can do the removal? 

Best of luck to you! I know it can be nerve wracking.  

Sorry. Dermatologist are notoriously had to get in to see. There's one in Olean, holy cow. It's like what George Costanza said about good parking spots in Manhattan, people never pull out. Getting on the waiting list never seems to work.

I don't suppose if you went to the ER with some phony dramatic symptoms that would do any good?

That stinks.

Good luck w/ it. Hope you can keep yourself RRREEEAAAALLY busy the next 2.5 months. The more you have going on, the less time you'll have to worry about it.

Weave, I had a mole show up on my back earlier this summer, and had it on watch as well.  I actually went to my PCP for the same reason: no one could get me in until months out.  My primary care physician actually did the whole removal process in his office, and is sending it out to the hospital (Cayuga Medical Center in Ithaca) to get it biopsied.  Maybe ask your PCP if he can do the removal? 

Best of luck to you! I know it can be nerve wracking.  

They were reluctant to do it. W anted me to see someone who specializes in it.  I'm calling them back tomorrow AM to see if they will do it anyway.  I have an appt with them next month anyhow...

good luck with yours BTW.

Edited by We've

Sorry to hear that man.  I went through the same thing like four or five years ago.  I had a bump on the side of my nose that wouldn't heal and kept bleeding.  My wife being a medical professional made an appointment for me immediately at the dermatologist.  She refers pediatric patients to his practice so she was able to get me in right away.  If you know any people in the medical field who can maybe call you in a favor I'd suggest going that route.

I went in and had it biopsied.  Basal cell carcinoma, the most common form of skin cancer and usually benign.  I had Mohs surgery to excise it about a month later.  I now go for check ups every 6 months and had another one removed from my lower back a couple years ago.  For me, even with the BCC diagnosis from the biopsy they didn't want to schedule the outpatient surgery for like four months, but I made a stink and they got me in sooner.

All this talk of skin cancer makes me feel I should make a PSA- if you haven't or don't, do yourself a favor and get a full body skin check. Skin cancer is sneaky. 

Both of my grandmothers died of it because it was in odd places like the navel and between the toes- places no one thinks to look. I had a nevus sebaceous growth on the back of my scalp that was ignored from birth until I was about 14- had that sucker cut off/stapled my head back together, have had a few pre cancerous moles removed since. 

Get that stuff checked. Y'all are worth it. 

Yes. Get those spots checked. ABCD. Asymmetry, border, color and diameter. I had a pretty normal looking mole on my foot, but it had gradually grown over the years to more than the diameter of a pencil eraser. Had it removed and the biopsy report came back benign but showing a 10% lifetime risk of turning into cancer.

Sorry. Dermatologist are notoriously had to get in to see. There's one in Olean, holy cow. It's like what George Costanza said about good parking spots in Manhattan, people never pull out. Getting on the waiting list never seems to work.

I don't suppose if you went to the ER with some phony dramatic symptoms that would do any good?

I know you're trying to help here, but this would just divert limited ER resources from those who have real emergencies.

Hope all is well Weave, and yes our healthcare system is this .  I'll ask my dad if he has any advice.

So I ran into my ex's father yesterday.  It was kinda nice catching up with him, but he let me know that she's back in town.  This isn't a big deal, but it bothers me.  I thought she'd be in Cali for the next few months, but now I could run into her any time.  On this same day, an old flame (like, a big one) texts me drunk and tells me about how she broke up with her boyfriend.

I have a girlfriend now and I don't want to think about these sirens of the past.  I mean the same day?  What the .

Hope all is well Weave, and yes our healthcare system is this ######.  I'll ask my dad if he has any advice.

So I ran into my ex's father yesterday.  It was kinda nice catching up with him, but he let me know that she's back in town.  This isn't a big deal, but it bothers me.  I thought she'd be in Cali for the next few months, but now I could run into her any time.  On this same day, an old flame (like, a big one) texts me drunk and tells me about how she broke up with her boyfriend.

I have a girlfriend now and I don't want to think about these sirens of the past.  I mean the same day?  What the ######.

The French have a name for it...

I know you're trying to help here, but this would just divert limited ER resources from those who have real emergencies.

I am ashamed. Thank you.

I would have swore you were going to go with Pimple popper MD, but then I remembered that was a Jerry line.