Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

You can't take your knowledge of that work somewhere else? Certainly if no one wants to continue it you should be able to claim it.

Well sure, but it'd be pretty lucky (and unlikely) to find myself in another lab working on the exact same type of research. More often than not, the head of the lab already has funding to work on a particular project, so you work on what's funded. The side projects do happen, but it'd need to be another lab doing similar enough work that it made sense to spend time and money on it. My expertise is more in techniques that can be applied to multiple different projects, which is helpful in changing positions but also means my next project will probably be very different, even if the types of experiments I'm running are similar (same method applied to different samples to address a different question).

I am so ####ing sick of putting on t-shirts backwards. I get the whole no tag thing. I get that even though they are passing it off as a "comfort" thing, it's really because they don't want to pay for the extra process of buying and sewing on tags, but could they at least put enough ####ing ink on the damn thing so that I can actually see it and be able to tell which is the front and which is the back!

The front of your t-shirts are the side with the cat pictures.

Well sure, but it'd be pretty lucky (and unlikely) to find myself in another lab working on the exact same type of research. More often than not, the head of the lab already has funding to work on a particular project, so you work on what's funded. The side projects do happen, but it'd need to be another lab doing similar enough work that it made sense to spend time and money on it. My expertise is more in techniques that can be applied to multiple different projects, which is helpful in changing positions but also means my next project will probably be very different, even if the types of experiments I'm running are similar (same method applied to different samples to address a different question).

I see. So the conundrum is that you're able to do basically any kind of work that involves your methodical expertise, but that makes it difficult to be personally invested in that work knowing that your next job will probably be on something completely different? I can see how that would be disheartening and feel schizophrenic.

I am so sick of Ted Nolan.  My frustration levels when I see how poorly he's mismanaging the line combinations remind me of Darcy frustrations suffered in a previous life.

Schaller has no future in the NHL get him off the top line.

On the other hand, I think it's hilarious how much he hates Hodgson.

I am so sick of Ted Nolan. My frustration levels when I see how poorly he's mismanaging the line combinations remind me of Darcy frustrations suffered in a previous life.

Schaller has no future in the NHL get him off the top ###### line.

On the other hand, I think it's hilarious how much he hates Hodgson.

He gets a complete pass from me because of that last fact alone. If Ted Nolan hates you then you've really screwed up.

The front of your t-shirts are the side with the cat pictures.

:w00t:

I see. So the conundrum is that you're able to do basically any kind of work that involves your methodical expertise, but that makes it difficult to be personally invested in that work knowing that your next job will probably be on something completely different? I can see how that would be disheartening and feel schizophrenic.

Yep, that's about right.  I'm interested in what I'm working on now, too... I left my last job because (in addition to funding uncertainty) I wasn't interested in the project anymore, and now that I'm working on something cool, there's a chance I'll have to either leave or stay but work on something else because we don't have money to do the cool project.  Ugh.

:w00t:

Yep, that's about right. I'm interested in what I'm working on now, too... I left my last job because (in addition to funding uncertainty) I wasn't interested in the project anymore, and now that I'm working on something cool, there's a chance I'll have to either leave or stay but work on something else because we don't have money to do the cool project. Ugh.

Is relocation a major do-not-want for you or would you embrace the opportunity to try living somewhere new?

when someone at work is a raging bitch to a coworker through an anonymous form and then said coworker does nothing but tries to pretend it didn't happen.  You take that letter to the big boss and to HR and track that person down.  Or you can continue to let this person walk all over you.  To clarify we have a good idea who it is.  I can't tell what is pissing me off more, the attack or the not standing up for yourself part.  

Is relocation a major do-not-want for you or would you embrace the opportunity to try living somewhere new?

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of relocating, but there are two huge impediments:

1) the cost of relocation (moving isn't cheap; especially long-distance)

2) I'm not sure I'd be able to sell my house in this market.  The place next door has been for sale since Nov. with little to no interest, and there are lots of other places around that have been on the market far longer than that.  Renting the place out could be a last-resort option, but I really don't want the hassle of being a landlord, particularly if I'm not living nearby.

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of relocating, but there are two huge impediments:

1) the cost of relocation (moving isn't cheap; especially long-distance)

2) I'm not sure I'd be able to sell my house in this market. The place next door has been for sale since Nov. with little to no interest, and there are lots of other places around that have been on the market far longer than that. Renting the place out could be a last-resort option, but I really don't want the hassle of being a landlord, particularly if I'm not living nearby.

How much of a loss do you think you'd be taking if you tried to sell?

How much of a loss do you think you'd be taking if you tried to sell?

I think I'd have a shot at breaking even (which is all I'm really hoping for), but I just don't know how likely I am to get an offer, and I know there are lots of little things a buyer would probably want me to do that I can't right now.  Minor repairs, but maybe enough to prevent getting a reasonable offer when the market is saturated with inventory.  Plus a potential buyer is likely to be turned off if they hear the horrible old lady next door wailing to herself through the walls when they do a walk-through.   :(

Edited by biodork

My office smells like 1 of 3 things daily: (1) Tator Tots (not bad) (2) Bacon (food envy to the max) or (3) Sh!t.  I'm not sure if it has to do with being between 3 bathrooms or the guy next door craps his pants, but today has been a mostly sh!t day... 

If you hear giggling for no apparent reason, I'm going with craps his pants, while eating a BLT with tots.

#stupidshit

Dear Hockey Monkey,

Go yourselves! Not only did it take you 17 days to send my . I didn't have a jersey for 3 games, thanks. Then the jersey is a youth large. Awesome, this might fit my next child in 8 years. Can't return it because it's customized.

What a thing to make your day . Can someone slap me please?

#stupidshit

Dear Hockey Monkey,

Go ###### yourselves! Not only did it take you 17 days to send my ######. I didn't have a jersey for 3 games, thanks. Then the jersey is a youth large. Awesome, this might fit my next child in 8 years. Can't return it because it's customized.

What a thing to make your day ######. Can someone slap me please?

File a complaint with the better business bureau. If you didn't receive the product you ordered they have to make it right.

File a complaint with the better business bureau. If you didn't receive the product you ordered they have to make it right.

It was probably my fault when I placed the order and I just didn't catch it. Which is probably most of the reason that I'm so pissed off. I probably shouldn't blame them. I work in guest service and I deal with stupid/unreasonable/flat out wrong people all the time. It is frustrating being on the other side.

It was probably my fault when I placed the order and I just didn't catch it. Which is probably most of the reason that I'm so pissed off. I probably shouldn't blame them. I work in guest service and I deal with stupid/unreasonable/flat out wrong people all the time. It is frustrating being on the other side.

Never drink and shop the internets!

Innit?