Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Ask mother in law how much she wants to contribute to the mortgage of the home she chooses for you. Perhaps that extra $30k?

I said that exactly to my wife yesterday.  "Does she want to cover the difference if we wait?"

My experience with having a new home built was an absolute nightmare.  Be careful.  I don't think I'd ever put money down on a pre-built "sight unseen" home again. You have no assurance that what you (eventually) get matches what you expected to get. Having a good lawyer saved me (I successfully sued the builder).

I think the old real estate adages ring true:

1. Buy the builder, not the home - I didn't pay attention to this and got burned

2. Buy the location, not the home - land is an appreciating asset and a home is a depreciating asset. If you have the right location you'll make money regardless of some cosmetic blemishes to the structure.

This one would be built from scratch but we have seen the exact house, so we know what to expect.  We've been to the development, we've seen the actual plot of land (and a few others available).  I see no reason to question the builder as they are one of the larger ones in the country and my brother has had dealings with them through work (granted he is in Florida).  Our realtor has also not had anything bad to say about them, but in the past she has shared information on others.

...glad our doctor isn't one of them...

Anyway, IOS8 for ipad suhsuhsuhsuuuuhxx. That's right it sux.

I have resisted updating it.  Glad I did.

DON'T DO IT!!  iOS 8 is not meant for older Apple tech (older being anything other than the iPhone 6 or iPad air, seemingly).  My 3 year old iPad 2 was functioning just as well on iOS 7 as it had when I bought it, but iOS 8 ruined it.  Safari in particular is downright awful, but it's buggy all around now.  I wish downgrading were still an option.   :(

My silly complaint for the day:  PA's name change.  We can't have TWO Yuri's, dammit!   :P  Only the post count tipped me off.

Edited by biodork

Our pediatricians -- who have the biggest practice in my (highly "limousine liberal" neighborhood that has plenty of airhead anti-vaxx types) -- have a big sign in their waiting room informing all parents that they will not accept unvaccinated kids as patients.

My wife is a pediatric NP, her practice instituted the no tolerance policy for not receiving recommended vaccinations last year.  My wife loves it if for no other reason in that she doesn't have to give the "in one ear and out the other" talk to parents about vaccinations anymore.

My wife is a pediatric NP, her practice instituted the no tolerance policy for not receiving recommended vaccinations last year.  My wife loves it if for no other reason in that she doesn't have to give the "in one ear and out the other" talk to parents about vaccinations anymore.

I'm glad to see some practices issue this policy. I know some celebrities are trying to use their status to discourage vaccinations (which is a bit over the top, I'd say), but I haven't heard any evidence that supports the theory that vaccinations lead to autism, etc.

We were all set to put a deposit down on a new home construction but my 31 year old wife won't do it because her mother doesn't approve.  You know, the mother who lives 800 miles away, has been to this area once yet somehow knows it better than we do.  Her 70-something year old friend lives somewhere else, so we should too.  She now wants to come down in April with her sister and look at homes with us because somehow these two women who have never lifted a hammer in their lives and live in homes older than them somehow know everything there is to know about home construction.  I have no idea how to undo 31 years of being told your opinion doesn't matter, but sooner or later it's going to drive me away.

I've been through this exact dilemma and have some advice.

I found that my wife, despite not really even liking her mother in the slightest, always bent over backward to let her have as much of "her way" as was physically possible. This resulted in my MIL essentially choosing our first apartment, our first house, our dog, which church we attended, etc. We were in Cincinnati, so the nice part was that most of the time I could choose off the menu at a restaurant without her knowing that I had exercised my free will.

This pattern continued for 3 years (I'm kind of a pushover, probably explains the pommer love) right up until the moment it completely stopped. I remember it very very clearly. Our first son was born, and we named him after my only brother, with his middle name after my wife's only brother. My wife's brother is NOT her mother's son. He is her father's son with his second wife. MIL was absolutely terrified that the child had not one name commemorating her family. While we were still in the hospital she requested that we change the middle name to her Maiden name. Looking at my wife, I could see the years of repression, the veil of her childhood PTSD lifting as she very calmly told her mother that this was not at all up for debate and that it would be best if she left the hospital immediately. She has not deferred to her mother on a single decision since.

So my advice: Knock her up.

Wow... amidst all the trade excitement from yesterday, we seem to have forgotten it's Thursday!   ;)

Lame complaint:  our research building has a small Au Bon Pain cafe in the lobby.  I don't go there on a regular basis, but often enough that I have one of their plastic refillable coffee mugs (refills are cheaper that way).  The refills are $1.26, and yesterday I walked down with my mug and exact change so I didn't have to bother carrying my wallet.  I fixed my coffee and went to pay, and the cashier told me it was $1.37 because prices had just been increased.  I already had my cash out and was thrown off, and the cashier took the mug from my hand, set it on the other side of the register, and told me I could come back and get it.  Seriously?  You couldn't find 11 pennies in the little tray and just let me know for next time?  So annoying.

Edited by biodork

We're getting a staircase in the middle of the open plan office up to our newly purchased second floor. Awesome.

But it's getting installed tomorrow while we work. We've endured a lot of construction during working hours- it's impossible to get done when it's going. 

So tomorrow, with a high of 7 or whatever, we'll have the doors wide open and a stairway being built next to our desks- boss says "stuff may be falling, so be aware". 

Someone asked if we could just take a vacation day or work from home, or if they could reschedule it to a Saturday (as originally promised). 

"No, you guys need to be productive. It'll be fine. Just wear a jacket." Love that windchill warning that'll be blowing in on me (I'm 10 feet from the big glass double doors). 

Like, I get it, but... really? You expect productivity with drills and teams of construction workers knocking into our desks and yelling to each other? He's shoved our desks together for the installation so that most of us cannot move/walk through the office easily. And what will he do? Probably go to his favorite expensive cafe or bar across the street to wait it out. Or come in late enough to just see the end of it. 

Effin' a, man. 

DON'T DO IT!!  iOS 8 is not meant for older Apple tech (older being anything other than the iPhone 6 or iPad air, seemingly).  My 3 year old iPad 2 was functioned just as well on iOS 7 as it had when I bought it, but iOS 8 ruined it.  Safari in particular is downright awful, but it's buggy all around now.  I wish downgrading were still an option.  :(My silly complaint for the day:  PA's name change.  We can't have TWO Yuri's, dammit!   :P  Only the post count tipped me off.

Works better on my iPhone 5 than on my iPad air. I actually greatly preferred my iPad 2 to the iPad air, but it shattered.

We're getting a staircase in the middle of the open plan office up to our newly purchased second floor. Awesome.

But it's getting installed tomorrow while we work. We've endured a lot of construction during working hours- it's impossible to get ###### done when it's going. 

So tomorrow, with a high of 7 or whatever, we'll have the doors wide open and a stairway being built next to our desks- boss says "stuff may be falling, so be aware". 

Someone asked if we could just take a vacation day or work from home, or if they could reschedule it to a Saturday (as originally promised). 

"No, you guys need to be productive. It'll be fine. Just wear a jacket." Love that windchill warning that'll be blowing in on me (I'm 10 feet from the big glass double doors). 

Like, I get it, but... really? You expect productivity with drills and teams of construction workers knocking into our desks and yelling to each other? He's shoved our desks together for the installation so that most of us cannot move/walk through the office easily. And what will he do? Probably go to his favorite expensive cafe or bar across the street to wait it out. Or come in late enough to just see the end of it. 

Effin' a, man. 

That's just nuts... why on earth can't they do that on a weekend (or after hours)??

It's been 3 months since I broke up with my girlfriend.  I've been fine, the bad days are much fewer and further between. But Sunday was bad.  I was looking through my hard drive and stumbled on a bunch of old pictures of us.  Somehow, Sunday grew into the worst week ever.  Despite how well I've been distracting myself with Better Call Saul and the Kane trade, I still can't stop thinking about her.  I couldn't sleep last night, so I had a couple of beers and didn't resist the insomnia for once.  Sleep never came, so I figured I would just head into class and make up the sleep later.  Cleverly, I managed to fall asleep right before heading into my first class and wake up during my last class.  I haven't even been up to the pond for a skate this week.  No time, and I never feel up to it anyways.

Blech.  Love is madness, lust is poison.

I've been sick all week and it's probably the worst bug I've ever had. In the big picture it really isn't much, but I don't remember feeling as poorly as I have this week.

Oh, and it annoys me that they give you a 21 day deadline to make all the optional selections on your new home, yet 6 days into that window they haven't even contacted us to setup the appointment for that. Why don't they call it what it really is, a 2 week (or less) deadline? I can go in whenever I want to see things, but there needs to be an appointment with any of the actual designers. I'm sure the next few months will have a lot of this, me being stressed out by things I have no control over.

Lancaster is holding a public forum on March 3rd about the mascot issue. We're named the same as that football team from Washington and have been since those nostalgic times where cowboys vs Indians wasn't kind of offensive.

The forum requires signing up and then the BoE selects 100 people representing various demographics to participate in mediated work groups.

I hope to be selected for this but am a little put off by the group idea. I was hoping I could just show up and give a statement in support of changing the mascot. Being subjected to the opinions of a bunch of dumb rednecks really doesn't rank high on my list of things that should be informing decision making. But this is how the school board gets away with passing the buck.

My company is beginning to implode, as I've predicted for months. 

Long story. Something's going to have to change soon. You can't have lots of success, publicize it, and then still not offer vacations, decent healthcare, and decent salary, and then have the CEO taking multiple lavish vacations/indulging in very expensive lifestyles. You can't continue to use the local university for cheap labor and expect the best quality result. I know all companies have this. But we're a fast growing company that's just not taking care of its people- and the experienced people we need are leaving for better paid positions elsewhere. You'd think after a couple of our best people left in the last month that someone'd get a hint...

Growing pains are one thing. But people are planning to quit left and right. I've spoken to a good third of the company who are in the process of leaving and another third is disgruntled. The other third are interns/co-ops. Most of them are planning to not come back.

No idea where this is going. Not much I can do. Guess I'll sit tight and work on my portfolio in case the ship really sinks. 

I've been sick since last monday. I'm just about through it now, but this has definitely been the worst one I've ever had. I'm assuming it was the flu, since I've been told my symptoms fit that.

And what the hell, I'll follow Let's Go Buffalo's lead and also blame Obama. :lol:

My kids' school was on a two hour delay this morning due to roads icing again overnight.  So I got to school at 9:30 for the 10 am start and the carpool line extended at least a half mile from the school entrance.  When I finally arrived at the entrance there was the problem in full view.  The entrance driveway is on a fairly steep incline with a speed bump at the top, and for about 10 ft on either side of the bump it's completely iced over.  So naturally the guy in front of me sees the ice, inches up to the speed bump and comes to a full stop in front of it.  He's toast.  I watch as he spins his wheels for a minute, then I get out and walk up to him to explain that he needs to back up to dry pavement (i had left him plenty of room) and then go back over the speed bump without stopping.  He's reluctant to do that as he thinks he'll slide right back down the  driveway into me even though that pavement is dry.  Finally a few other drivers get out of their cars and tell him the same thing so he goes for it and gets over the bump.  This complaint isnt so much about him and the other inexperienced winter drivers, but more about how the school opened without salting that problem area, WTF?  It took me a full 35 minutes in that carpool line and there was still a long line after I dropped my kids off at 10:05.

My kids' school was on a two hour delay this morning due to roads icing again overnight.  So I got to school at 9:30 for the 10 am start and the carpool line extended at least a half mile from the school entrance.  When I finally arrived at the entrance there was the problem in full view.  The entrance driveway is on a fairly steep incline with a speed bump at the top, and for about 10 ft on either side of the bump it's completely iced over.  So naturally the guy in front of me sees the ice, inches up to the speed bump and comes to a full stop in front of it.  He's toast.  I watch as he spins his wheels for a minute, then I get out and walk up to him to explain that he needs to back up to dry pavement (i had left him plenty of room) and then go back over the speed bump without stopping.  He's reluctant to do that as he thinks he'll slide right back down the  driveway into me even though that pavement is dry.  Finally a few other drivers get out of their cars and tell him the same thing so he goes for it and gets over the bump.  This complaint isnt so much about him and the other inexperienced winter drivers, but more about how the school opened without salting that problem area, WTF?  It took me a full 35 minutes in that carpool line and there was still a long line after I dropped my kids off at 10:05.

I'm surprised they were open.  It seems like most other places did close.  My wife's school in Cary is closed and the road I saw in that immediate area were in very good shape.