Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Work. Love my company and enjoy my job but they are making it more and more difficult. Lost two of my employees to downsizing late last year, now I'm losing my supervisor (right hand man, works directly under me does a lot of leg work). I'm also losing a technician to injury as he has to have surgery and will be out 3-4 months. I've asked for a temporary replacement from our other locations and was given a BS response about how they can't do it. I'm going to have to stretch my whole department super thin and piss most of them off with mandatory overtime. (d4rk you know what I mean).

I know they can lose a person from a specific location as I used to manage it and know they have extra personnel. Better yet, I'm losing people making less than $40 k left and right and we keep bring VP's making more than them combined. It's depressing.

"mandatory" overtime aka whoever wants it gets first dibs then we fill in the holes ;)

Sorry about your loss, Bio.

The other night I went into the gas station to grab an arizona and some junk food. The total came out to 5 and change so I handed her a 10 and a 1. She rings it out and hands me back some change, but no 5 dollar bill. I told her that I handed her a 10 and a 1 and she looked absolutely confounded. She claimed that she had asked "Out of 6?" I never heard anything and never replied... and it's odd to ask the customer how much of their money you're holding in your hand. She insinuated that I gave her a 5 several times, but I remained calm. I stood there for 5 minutes while she slowly counted out the money in the register. An old guy waited behind me with a cup of coffee in his hand, clearly trying to get back on the road, while this lady struggled with the money and another employee counted cigarette cartons cluelessly. She told the man to just take the coffee and gave it to him for free. Once she was done counting the register she just said "This is wrong" and shook her head. She said she couldn't verify anything and had to wait until the end of the night to see if I was right, or just trying to steal money in the most dim witted manner possible. I left my name and number and left. She called me the next day saying the register came up +5$ when they cashed out and that "she never makes mistakes like this." At least she apoligized and gave me my money back the next time I went in :censored:

Our IT dept has been working through mandatory upgrades of all computers from Windows XP to Windows 7 over the last several weeks, and since the lease on my computer was expiring this month we were going to just hold off since the replacement will be pre-loaded with Windows 7. On Monday I found out our admin assistant had her information backwards and it was the other computer in the lab that was up for renewal rather than mine (and that has already been upgraded), so IT made arrangements to come out and upgrade mine Tues. afternoon. The upgrade took 2+ hours to complete, and they never warned me it was a clean install vs. regular upgrade, so I spent most of that afternoon looking for installation discs for other software, trying to restore my settings, etc. Thankfully I had exported my browser bookmarks when I changed labs 2+ years ago and have some of those left, but anything I added in the interim is now gone.

Yesterday I found out Word 2010 is incompatible with our reference manager program (EndNote) and makes Word hang immediately after opening unless the add-in is disabled, and the vendor chose to encourage people to buy their newer version instead of releasing a patch. Tried to get IT to roll my computer back to Office 2007 (which is compatible), and after 1-2 hrs waiting on that, found the Word 2007 install was corrupted. Finally caved and ordered licenses for the newer version of EndNote, which is almost $100 per machine, and until it gets here my work computer is useless for making edits to a manuscript draft that requires it. I've wasted so much time the last two days just trying to make my computer functional again.

Our IT dept has been working through mandatory upgrades of all computers from Windows XP to Windows 7 over the last several weeks, and since the lease on my computer was expiring this month we were going to just hold off since the replacement will be pre-loaded with Windows 7. On Monday I found out our admin assistant had her information backwards and it was the other computer in the lab that was up for renewal rather than mine (and that has already been upgraded), so IT made arrangements to come out and upgrade mine Tues. afternoon. The upgrade took 2+ hours to complete, and they never warned me it was a clean install vs. regular upgrade, so I spent most of that afternoon looking for installation discs for other software, trying to restore my settings, etc. Thankfully I had exported my browser bookmarks when I changed labs 2+ years ago and have some of those left, but anything I added in the interim is now gone.

Yesterday I found out Word 2010 is incompatible with our reference manager program (EndNote) and makes Word hang immediately after opening unless the add-in is disabled, and the vendor chose to encourage people to buy their newer version instead of releasing a patch. Tried to get IT to roll my computer back to Office 2007 (which is compatible), and after 1-2 hrs waiting on that, found the Word 2007 install was corrupted. Finally caved and ordered licenses for the newer version of EndNote, which is almost $100 per machine, and until it gets here my work computer is useless for making edits to a manuscript draft that requires it. I've wasted so much time the last two days just trying to make my computer functional again.

What version of Endnote were you using? X5,6,7 all work fine with Word 2010

Peppy hasn't been around with an April calendar, and I need to devise something for my computer backgrounds during the long offseason months ahead :'(

Hahhaha, I kept checking here for the April calendar too. It will usually get to August and I'll still have my April calendar as my desktop and feel the need to change it to something else for a couple of months.

What version of Endnote were you using? X5,6,7 all work fine with Word 2010

We have x3. :( I have it at home, too, but thankfully I'm still running Office 2007 on my home laptop. I hate Excel 2010... why did some jackass at Microsoft have to add icons to all the "paste special" options? A simple text box was so much cleaner and clearer than having to play Pictionary and guess what they mean. I'd still be using Excel 2003 if they'd let us. Stop fixing what isn't broken!

my company is so focused on profit margin, they won't let us make necessary repairs, or invest in new equipment, and we are being forced to run with what we have and "make it work". We also won't invest in software upgrades, or add-ons that could improve our processes and procedures. This is starting to run me and a few of my coworkers into the ground. A lot of my coworkers are planning an exodus depending on salary actions in the coming weeks, as many of them have already gone and interviewed at other places.

We have x3. :( I have it at home, too, but thankfully I'm still running Office 2007 on my home laptop. I hate Excel 2010... why did some jackass at Microsoft have to add icons to all the "paste special" options? A simple text box was so much cleaner and clearer than having to play Pictionary and guess what they mean. I'd still be using Excel 2003 if they'd let us. Stop fixing what isn't broken!

ah yes X3 is a little old at this point. sorry to hear that. X7 will allow you to sync with Endnote Web automatically so you can back up your library if that makes you feel better. It actually works pretty well.

Edited by LGR4GM

ah yes X3 is a little old at this point. sorry to hear that. X7 will allow you to sync with Endnote Web automatically so you can back up your library if that makes you feel better. It actually works pretty well.

Yeah, that's the version we ordered since it's the only one compatible with Office 2013. The annoying part is that x3 works just fine! The only reason we need to replace it is Thompson Reuters won't fix their own program. It's ridiculous they charge so much and release new versions so frequently when very little changes in the way of journals and reference management needs, but until there's a better competing product, they've got the market cornered.

my company is so focused on profit margin, they won't let us make necessary repairs, or invest in new equipment, and we are being forced to run with what we have and "make it work". We also won't invest in software upgrades, or add-ons that could improve our processes and procedures. This is starting to run me and a few of my coworkers into the ground. A lot of my coworkers are planning an exodus depending on salary actions in the coming weeks, as many of them have already gone and interviewed at other places.

Same at my job, several coworkers already left. Can't expect much when banks and an investment company hold 60% of your shares.

Sadly its also always the good people that leave us, in a market where your employee is your most valuable asset and your are known for your high standard of service that is just a killer.

Global players working at heavy losses in the western european market just to kill off my company.

Being outpriced by global players is what sucks the most, Quality of service doesn't matter anymore, just how much it costs, being told by clients everytime when they leave.

We loved the service, but we got an offer we can't refuse. Few months later they bitch about how much they miss us, and the competition lowers their price even more.

What is even more scary is I have a job (airport) where security and safety should be your number one priority, somehow cost cutting the way the competition does is just an accident waiting to happen.

Edited by Heimdall

I have a gold car... never new how useful that could be til I moved. You are right though it is going to suck for the next 3 weeks.

We have some new neighbors on the street that just moved here from up north. I noticed when I left for work today that they had left some windows open, they're gonna be pissed when they get home tonight.

We have a small lab space across the hall that is shared between our group and one other lab, and inside is a large -70C freezer that is also jointly used between our two labs. The boss in the other lab (who I actually like) has been whining for weeks about how loud the freezer is, even though he has an office door between him and the room with the freezer. Now he's complained long enough that it's being moved to another room down the hall, which will be less convenient and also unmonitored, which is no good in case something goes wrong with it. We use this freezer heavily, and somehow one person bitching gets to overrule the wishes of everyone else here. It's a lab, not a library, man! Get some damn headphones and man the f*ck up.

Jeez, I'm grumpy today... I really need to get laid.

We have a small lab space across the hall that is shared between our group and one other lab, and inside is a large -70C freezer that is also jointly used between our two labs. The boss in the other lab (who I actually like) has been whining for weeks about how loud the freezer is, even though he has an office door between him and the room with the freezer. Now he's complained long enough that it's being moved to another room down the hall, which will be less convenient and also unmonitored, which is no good in case something goes wrong with it. We use this freezer heavily, and somehow one person bitching gets to overrule the wishes of everyone else here. It's a lab, not a library, man! Get some damn headphones and man the f*ck up.

Interestingly enough, I have a story from a past life that involves both of these.

Same at my job, several coworkers already left. Can't expect much when banks and an investment company hold 60% of your shares.

Sadly its also always the good people that leave us, in a market where your employee is your most valuable asset and your are known for your high standard of service that is just a killer.

Global players working at heavy losses in the western european market just to kill off my company.

Being outpriced by global players is what sucks the most, Quality of service doesn't matter anymore, just how much it costs, being told by clients everytime when they leave.

We loved the service, but we got an offer we can't refuse. Few months later they bitch about how much they miss us, and the competition lowers their price even more.

What is even more scary is I have a job (airport) where security and safety should be your number one priority, somehow cost cutting the way the competition does is just an accident waiting to happen.

We are supposed to be focusing more on safety, yet everytime someone brings up a safety concern, it's brushed off, and shoved to the back burner. I fear the day one of our fume hoods or something else goes...because that's a super bad hazard waiting to happen right now.

Endorphins make EVERYTHING better. :flirt: