Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Today and tomorrow I'm stuck babysitting (aka training) a junior technician and undergraduate student from an out-of-town colleague's lab. Neither of them have much experience and the person they work for is horrendously unorganized and poor at planning. She's essentially handed off the two of them so we can show them how to do things that they could learn from people at their own institution, but instead she'll have us plan and run their experiments for them because she sucks at her job. Now I'll be taking work home over the weekend because I'm sure I won't have time to do any of my own stuff while I'm playing show and tell with the noobs. My boss isn't even here, either.

Today and tomorrow I'm stuck babysitting (aka training) a junior technician and undergraduate student from an out-of-town colleague's lab. Neither of them have much experience and the person they work for is horrendously unorganized and poor at planning. She's essentially handed off the two of them so we can show them how to do things that they could learn from people at their own institution, but instead she'll have us plan and run their experiments for them because she sucks at her job. Now I'll be taking work home over the weekend because I'm sure I won't have time to do any of my own stuff while I'm playing show and tell with the noobs. My boss isn't even here, either.

ugggh I feel for you bio. Just how inexperienced are they? Are they able to at least prepare serial dilutions, make and pH buffers etc?

I've been stuck with people before who can't even do those simple tasks, let alone begin to think about and plan a proper experiment. It sucks.. a lot.

I have to wait one more day to pick up my new car. I ordered it back in late September and it just arrived at the dealer last Thursday, so I guess one more day won't hurt. At least the weather looks to be halfway decent.... :thumbsup:

Bring on some warmer temperatures.

This. I'm normally a fan of winter - but only when it should be winter. We're a non-balmy 16 degrees in early March and I'd like to see the snow start melting so the golf courses can open. That and I'm tired of people bitching about it.

So...yes...I'm bitching about people bitching.

This. I'm normally a fan of winter - but only when it should be winter. We're a non-balmy 16 degrees in early March and I'd like to see the snow start melting so the golf courses can open. That and I'm tired of people bitching about it.

So...yes...I'm bitching about people bitching.

Valid. I wake up and see that brilliant blue sky (better than grey!) and my brain goes, alright, let's put on a colorful sundress and a cardigan and some awesome heels and let's take on the day! Wait. Oh. Yeah. That's right. Jeans, snow boots and a sweater it is again. Again. Yet again. There's only so much sex appeal I can have and stay practical and warm when it's colder than a dead man's bones out there.

My complaint, work related- I've been thrown on a good 3 projects at a time lately. Art director became a daddy (yay!) but I had to take on his workload in addition to mine last week. He's a much more experienced/talented artist than I, and creating content in his exact style was a fun but incredibly intimidating job.

Currently working with a producer whom we've had trouble with before- this person, despite being high up in the chain, is inconsistent, vague, difficult, and has poor communication skills and manner. They gave us files for a game two weeks late (they said they'd do in house design on this, of course nothing is done) and expect it to be live tomorrow. I did what I could and am now cooling my heels in the feedback loop, waiting for armageddon to hit when everything we gave them is inevitably wrong. Argh. But it's sunny and my superiors are trusting me with a lot of big name/budget stuff (Power Rangers and TMNT, etc), so that's awesome.

Edited by Josie914

Valid. I wake up and see that brilliant blue sky (better than grey!) and my brain goes, alright, let's put on a colorful sundress and a cardigan and some awesome heels and let's take on the day!

Funny. This is exactly how I start my day, as well.

ugggh I feel for you bio. Just how inexperienced are they? Are they able to at least prepare serial dilutions, make and pH buffers etc?

I've been stuck with people before who can't even do those simple tasks, let alone begin to think about and plan a proper experiment. It sucks.. a lot.

I got lucky -- they're not as green as I feared, so it's been much less painful than expected. I'm still not sure what to do with them this afternoon or tomorrow after we've finished what they came here to do, but hopefully we'll figure it out. I'd really like to just be left alone to do my own work, though.

I'm sure you look gorgeous, honey.

More importantly, I feel pretty.

:lol:

In deference to Wings post from last week, I won't complain about the weather (but a blizzard in mid-March? Yeesh!). So, last Friday I picked up my new car (good). I sold my motorcycle so now I have enough room to park the new car in my garage (good). The car comes with summer-only tires so I can't drive it in this mess (bad). I still have my 4WD truck (good) but when I was cleaning the snow off the windshield this morning, the snow brush hit one of the windshield wipers and broke the plastic doohicky that holds it on the wiper arm (bad). I had a new wiper blade in the garage (good) but it is two inches too long for the truck (bad). I put it on anyway. I'll buy a new, correctly-sized one tomorrow when it is warm (relatively speaking). And then I had to shovel the driveway because the snowblower is now blocked in by the new car (which I can't back out of the garage because it has summer tires and no grip whatsoever on snow). :doh:

All that and it is 75 and sunny in Key West. :wallbash:

This stupid freaking head cold will not go away! It's been more than two weeks now. First it got steadily worse, then I thought I was getting better but was stuck around 70% for most of a week before it came back for round 2. Now I'm again in the week long 80-90% better phase. I've never had one like this. So done with Kleenex.

Took a puck close range full speed to the ankle Sunday night. Skated the rest of the game, not wanting to be a ###### because of an ill timed stinger. Wellp, ankle and now down my foot are black and tough to walk on. I guess I'm just worried about potential bone chip nonsense or some hairline crack, but I don't have time/don't want to spend money on getting xrays etc to find out. Bluh.

About two weeks ago my wife noticed that a mole on her breast looked "funny".

After a few days of watching it (I volunteered ... :flirt: ) it still seemed strange.

Went to the Dr. last week and she said it looked OK, but for us to still watch it.

Had it removed last evening and now we wait. The Dr. still doesn't seem too concerned, but we are.

And, on a less serious note ... bananas that refuse to open without a fight.

I want Ziva back ...and I want to see Tony head slap Gibbs a few times.... and that bozo who refused my help to push him out of snow and refused three other carloads of people the same help, may someone slip some itching powder in his shorts....

After a few days of watching it (I volunteered ... :flirt: ) it still seemed strange.

Went to the Dr. last week and she said it looked OK, but for us to still watch it.

Had it removed last evening and now we wait. The Dr. still doesn't seem too concerned, but we are.

Here's hoping for good news, NS...

This stupid freaking head cold will not go away! It's been more than two weeks now. First it got steadily worse, then I thought I was getting better but was stuck around 70% for most of a week before it came back for round 2. Now I'm again in the week long 80-90% better phase. I've never had one like this. So done with Kleenex.

I'm in my seventh week (Jan 26) and my left ear just closed off again.

My hockey team lost in the playoffs because they are a bunch of cry-baby know-it-all puck hogs. Here's an idea, if you are trying to stickhandle through three guys, that means that someone else on your team is open and you should probably pass it them,... oh, wait, you'd rather lose the puck, then sulk about it and not get back on defense? Got it. I'm even fine with that, just don't later think that I give a crap about your opinion (which you so freely give) on what I'm doing on the ice.

The bananas are revolting, I swear.

As for the rest, hope you're a Seinfeld fan: I say, get outta here. It'll be fine. Good luck.

I had to take a vacation day today because my landlord failed to live up to his end of our lease. 8 Inches of powder on top of 3-4 inches of hard pack snow/ice didn't get cleared until 11:00am.

This after I specifically asked him yesterday to come out and take a look at the driveway in the morning to see if it needed to be cleared. He agreed to come out at 6:30.

3 of the 4 cars that share the house couldn't get out.

Ugh.

Here's hoping for good news, NS...

Thanks, bio.

The bananas are revolting, I swear.

As for the rest, hope you're a Seinfeld fan: I say, get outta here. It'll be fine. Good luck.

*I am out*

Thanks.

We are trying not to focus on it and just go about our normal routines.

I'm hoping for the best for you, NS.

I've griped about him before, but I have to again...my co-worker WILL NOT SHUT UP. He's a combo of a dork who tries to make everything into a joke, a lazy worker who doesn't take the time to learn stuff on his own so he constantly asks me, and Cliff Claven - the guy who likes to spew out trivial facts because he knows them and he thinks it makes himself look smart. Yesterday and part of today, he doesn't let me sit down before he starts asking questions. Then once I do, he asks another one 5 minutes later. This continues until I take a men's room break or go to lunch. I think my sinus headache is because of him.

I honestly do like my job and am grateful that I have one.

I'm hoping for the best for you, NS.

I've griped about him before, but I have to again...my co-worker WILL NOT SHUT UP. He's a combo of a dork who tries to make everything into a joke, a lazy worker who doesn't take the time to learn stuff on his own so he constantly asks me, and Cliff Claven - the guy who likes to spew out trivial facts because he knows them and he thinks it makes himself look smart. Yesterday and part of today, he doesn't let me sit down before he starts asking questions. Then once I do, he asks another one 5 minutes later. This continues until I take a men's room break or go to lunch. I think my sinus headache is because of him.

I honestly do like my job and am grateful that I have one.

perhaps if you directed him to the walls political forum , a few folks would enjoy having a little talk with him...

I was having a good day. Until I asked somebody to forward along a PO via email. He told me we can't email POs because the signed copy isn't in the computer :doh: I tried telling him he'd have to scan it in (this is a grown man mind you, not an intern)...to which he replied, "I ain't got time for that." So I take it from him and do it myself, pushing aside the 6 reports sitting on my desk that need editing... <_<

Go back to the lab to find him looking over the shoulder over another technician just watching him work. Not doing a damn thing :censored: :wallbash: Don't lecture me on lack of time for me to only find you doing nothing!!!

I was having a good day. Until I asked somebody to forward along a PO via email. He told me we can't email POs because the signed copy isn't in the computer :doh: I tried telling him he'd have to scan it in (this is a grown man mind you, not an intern)...to which he replied, "I ain't got time for that." So I take it from him and do it myself, pushing aside the 6 reports sitting on my desk that need editing... <_<

Go back to the lab to find him looking over the shoulder over another technician just watching him work. Not doing a damn thing :censored: :wallbash: Don't lecture me on lack of time for me to only find you doing nothing!!!

You enabled him. He won. Don't do that.