Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

My new car comes with a navigation system. The salesmen tried to explain it to me when I got it but I was being distracted with nonsense from my wife and brother. I've read through the manual and I got nothing. I think I'm getting too old for this ######.

The kicker? It's a Caddy, a car made for old dudes and I can't figure out the technology stuff. Unreal.

Edited by inkman

I keep telling myself, the baby is healthy, the doctors think my wife will be ok, and the rest is just money.

Not only that, but with the baby (presumably) showing up in December, you'll get the full year's tax break.

The downside to all those interviews I posted about in the Awesome thread is a. stress. Gatdam, selling yourself over and over is stressful. and b. disappointment. I love what I am doing right now. It is the most personally fulfilling job I've ever held and the working conditions are awesome. 4 of the 6 interviews are for positions I wouldn't have considered in other circumstances. And post-interview thoughts aren't making those positions any better. The one today was the least desirable. And what do I come home to? An offer from them to negotiate. I'm hoping I can use it to negotiate a better deal somewhere else as I am not sure I want the job.

I have to remind myself that I am fortunate I am getting these opportunites. Lots of co-workers aren't getting interviews at all. I feel a bit guilty fielding this particular complaint.

Hopefully one of the other ones come through as well, but just make sure you land this one. You can always upgrade later and, as you know, it's a lot easier to land a new one when you already have one.

Not only that, but with the baby (presumably) showing up in December, you'll get the full year's tax break.

Hopefully one of the other ones come through as well, but just make sure you land this one. You can always upgrade later and, as you know, it's a lot easier to land a new one when you already have one.

That is pretty much my plan.

Edited by weave

My new car comes with a navigation system. The salesmen tried to explain it to me when I got it but I was being distracted with nonsense from my wife and brother. I've read through the manual and I got nothing. I think I'm getting too old for this ######.

The kicker? It's a Caddy, a car made for old dudes and I can't figure out the technology stuff. Unreal.

From my experience, built-in nav systems are about 30x as hard to use as a standalone or phone gps. When I was visiting a friend in Florida, we literally couldn't figure out how to make the nav in her Highlander shut the hell up, and had to mute it which also muted the radio. And apparently her dad's Forerunner was even worse. So yea, they suck.

My complaint for the day: people who complain about lines when Christmas shopping. You're going shopping during the holidays, you know what you're getting yourself into. So either shut up and accept it for what it is, or sit at home and shop online.

What happened to your chick car?

From my experience, built-in nav systems are about 30x as hard to use as a standalone or phone gps. When I was visiting a friend in Florida, we literally couldn't figure out how to make the nav in her Highlander shut the hell up, and had to mute it which also muted the radio. And apparently her dad's Forerunner was even worse. So yea, they suck.

On the way home from the dealer, which I consider the crescendo of the car buying experience, I couldn't get the damn navigation to turn off. I know how to get home from the dealer. Nothing I did would work. I was screaming at my new car the whole way home.

I have my iPhone dock/car charger set up so it sits right above my right leg and I've had zero problems using that app for the last 5 years.

Maybe when I take it to the dealer for the oil change (free otherwise I'm not going there) I'll ask them more about the navigation system. Never thought I'd be that guy.

On the way home from the dealer, which I consider the crescendo of the car buying experience, I couldn't get the damn navigation to turn off. I know how to get home from the dealer. Nothing I did would work. I was screaming at my new car the whole way home.

I have my iPhone dock/car charger set up so it sits right above my right leg and I've had zero problems using that app for the last 5 years.

Maybe when I take it to the dealer for the oil change (free otherwise I'm not going there) I'll ask them more about the navigation system. Never thought I'd be that guy.

You bought a Cadillac. Don't be afraid of calling the dealership, specifically, the person who sold it to you, with questions. They expect that; it's part of the "value added" of buying a Cadillac.

You bought a Cadillac. Don't be afraid of calling the dealership, specifically, the person who sold it to you, with questions. They expect that; it's part of the "value added" of buying a Cadillac.

Good point but I won't need the navigation until my biannual trip to FLA. Next one in 3 months.

Edited by inkman

Totally just rear ended someone on the way home from overnighting the last (hoprfully) form for this closing. This is my life right now.

You just gotta laugh.....

The Karma wheel always comes around. Sometimes it's better to get your ass kicked all at the same time because it makes the rest of life sweeter along the way.

Praying the baby is fine...which it sounds like isn't a problem. Everything else is trivial......you already said.

Hang in there.....almost done!

The Karma wheel always comes around. Sometimes it's better to get your ass kicked all at the same time because it makes the rest of life sweeter along the way.

Praying the baby is fine...which it sounds like isn't a problem. Everything else is trivial......you already said.

Dude is setting himself up for a great '13, ain't he?

I can't wait for '13 to show up. It's gonna be a good one (relative to '12).

My thoughts exactly. This is my karmic down payment for a good night January 7th.

Dude is setting himself up for a great '13, ain't he?

I can't wait for '13 to show up. It's gonna be a good one (relative to '12).

'13 is definitely setting up to be a memorable one here. The only real complaint I have going in is the constant threat looming in the background of two sick fathers.

This year can't end fast enough.

On Monday, my wife's uncle died suddenly of a heart attack. 58 years old. Tom was the human embodiment of love. I never saw him angry, and he was always going out of his way to do things for others. He drove 50 miles after working a 12 hour shift just to stop in at my 30th birthday party for 5 minutes to say hi. Knowing I was having a tough time, last Friday he picked up a copy of LIndy Sports review magazine of this year's Notre Dame football season, and just dropped in my mailbox with a note that says "Merry Christmas and Go Irish."

Tom leaves behind his wife of 35 years and 3 grown daughters, but everyone who ever knew him will be grieving. The fighting Irish lost their biggest fan. Tom did not attend the university, but practically adopted me when I got accepted. I had wrapped up the medallion, made with gold taken from the Dome, that they give graduating seniors. It is inscribed with the University seal, and the words "Family Forever." It was going to be his Christmas gift. I gave it to his widow yesterday.

He didn't have the money to attend many games in his life, but I'm sure he'll be making a stop in Miami before heading to be with his father and daughter in eternal peace. My life will be less full without him now, but so much better for having known him.

My condolences to your family LPF.

My complaint isn't nearly as heart wrenching as LPF's but, my 92 yr old grandfather was diagnosed with shingles yesterday. In general his health is declining quickly. Not many holidays left for this guy. And he's going to miss this one because 1. he feels absolutely miserable and will need the rest and 2. he'll likely still be contagious well past Christmas Day. We are going to have to postpone seeing him until he gets well, which could be weeks. And it just isn't the same, right?

my best regards to both of you. :(

My only complaint today is today and my half day at work tomorrow are going to be a struggle to get through. Between trying to wrap up projects before just about the entire office goes on vacation, and dealing with customer's last minute orders before they shut down for the next three weeks, and my lack of sleep...I might end up curled up under my desk sleeping.

My condolences LPF. 2012 can't end soon enough, way too many people in my life have passed well before their time this year.

My two petty complaints this week.

Why does an auto parts store have a large candy display at the checkout? I had to go pick up a few things the other night with my four year old daughter in tow. And there is the candy prominently displayed by the checkout, which of course leads to her grabbing every package and then throwing a fit when I put it back. The grocery store and drug store I can understand, but the auto parts store, WTF??

Traffic in the Triangle area is horrible and only getting worse, my commute to work each day is about 40-45 minutes in stop and go traffic. Today the long awaited Triangle Expressway opened, so I hopped on it and from my driveway to office it was a blissful 22 minute commute on cruise control. Great, right? Not so fast. When they begin tolling the road in January, the cost for that commute will be ~$2.30 each way, so $4.60 round trip each day to commute back and forth to work. And it gets better, the part of the road servicing the northern part of the county has no toll. So because our great elected leaders kept raiding the DOT budget all those years for their pet projects, now we have to pay exorbitant tolls that should have been paid for out of taxpayer dollars if we wish to utilize the road and its benefits. While I can afford it, I won't be using it when the tolls start on principle.

While I can afford it, I won't be using it when the tolls start on principle.

The three things I hate paying for:

1. Tolls

2. Parking

3. Dirt

Edit:

I can add a fourth

4. Ice

Edited by wjag

I have always wanted to kayak the entire Erie Canal. With the world ending tomorrow, looks like I've missed my chance,.. bummer.

my girlfriend and I got into kayaking over the summer, and she bought a tandem kayak. We wanted to do the same...guess we're all in the same boat ;)

This year can't end fast enough.

On Monday, my wife's uncle died suddenly of a heart attack. 58 years old. Tom was the human embodiment of love. I never saw him angry, and he was always going out of his way to do things for others. He drove 50 miles after working a 12 hour shift just to stop in at my 30th birthday party for 5 minutes to say hi. Knowing I was having a tough time, last Friday he picked up a copy of LIndy Sports review magazine of this year's Notre Dame football season, and just dropped in my mailbox with a note that says "Merry Christmas and Go Irish."

Tom leaves behind his wife of 35 years and 3 grown daughters, but everyone who ever knew him will be grieving. The fighting Irish lost their biggest fan. Tom did not attend the university, but practically adopted me when I got accepted. I had wrapped up the medallion, made with gold taken from the Dome, that they give graduating seniors. It is inscribed with the University seal, and the words "Family Forever." It was going to be his Christmas gift. I gave it to his widow yesterday.

He didn't have the money to attend many games in his life, but I'm sure he'll be making a stop in Miami before heading to be with his father and daughter in eternal peace. My life will be less full without him now, but so much better for having known him.

Year is almost over, hang in there.

I'll add a fourth: cover charges at a bar where they charge an exorbitant amount for drinks already. I don't go to bars where there's a cover generally.

Even worse when your female friends don't get charged cover. I'm sick of this discrimination against white men! :P