Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I though tthat meant slow down, there's a cop with radar... Not enough people extend that simple courtesy anymore...

That is so (or used to be) - but I was turning off my headlights and then turning them back on, not flashing the high beams. Maybe they think my truck has an electrical short..... :blink:

That is so (or used to be) - but I was turning off my headlights and then turning them back on, not flashing the high beams. Maybe they think my truck has an electrical short..... :blink:

This is the code as I know it:

Flashing High Beams: Danger/cop ahead of you.

Lights off and on to oncoming car: Your lights aren't on.

Lights off and on when a large vehicle is passing you: You're clear to move back to the right.

Blink of the flashers/lights off and on after a pass: thanks (in the dark)

This jackass teenager who was trick or treating last night decided to say to me "this is a robbery" as I was at the door. I wanted to refuse candy but out of fear of a later egging, I just wound up calling him and idiot.

It seemed like we had a lot more kids who are past the trick or treating age last night. We had a whole pack show up around 8:30 when I was just sitting out with my wife and neighbors having a beer. Not one was wearing a costume. I didn't want to give them any candy but my wife told me to be nice to avoid potential reprisals. Maybe it's just me, but isn't the 14-16 age range way too old to be trick or treating?

It seemed like we had a lot more kids who are past the trick or treating age last night. We had a whole pack show up around 8:30 when I was just sitting out with my wife and neighbors having a beer. Not one was wearing a costume. I didn't want to give them any candy but my wife told me to be nice to avoid potential reprisals. Maybe it's just me, but isn't the 14-16 age range way too old to be trick or treating?

I won't lie, I did it back in the day at some point in that age range. I was done before 16 though. Once I could drive it was definitely time to stop trick or treating. But I did at least wear a costume of some sort. These teenagers last night went to the crazy lengths of wearing a Batman t-shirt. Wow, that sure is a convincing costume kid. The one who dropped the robbery line was wearing typical teenager stuff and trying to pass himself off as a thug. I'm sure it was his every day stuff too. At least his friends yelled at him for saying what he did, I'll give them credit for that.

I feel bad for kids in that age group today. There's little for them to do with their non-structured time other than play videogames. The mall doesn't want them anymore. So I guess maybe they still trick-or-treat. We treat them like small children, and they act like it in return.

I won't lie, I did it back in the day at some point in that age range. I was done before 16 though. Once I could drive it was definitely time to stop trick or treating. But I did at least wear a costume of some sort. These teenagers last night went to the crazy lengths of wearing a Batman t-shirt. Wow, that sure is a convincing costume kid. The one who dropped the robbery line was wearing typical teenager stuff and trying to pass himself off as a thug. I'm sure it was his every day stuff too. At least his friends yelled at him for saying what he did, I'll give them credit for that.

What a dick.

The problem of purposelessness seems to have become less serious during the last 15 years or so, because people now feel less secure physically and economically than they did earlier, and theneed for security provides them with a goal. But purposelessness has been replaced by frustration over the difficulty of attaining security. We emphasize the problem of purposelessness because the liberals and leftists would wish to solve our social problems by having society guarantee everyone's security; but if that could be done it would only bring back the problem of purposelessness. The real issue is not whether society provides well or poorly for people's security; the trouble is that people are dependent on the system for their security rather than having it in their own hands. This, by the way, is part of the reason why some people get worked up about the right to bear arms; possession of a gun puts that aspect of their security in their own hands.

I'm working on the rest. How does this sound so far?

My complaint on this Thursday? My sister always wants to borrow all of the yard 'tools' instead of getting her own. And if I hear the complaint about spending the $200 on the leaf blower, I'll have to wonder how she just dropped thousands $$ on a new kitchen. Call me selfish, but my Husqvarna is NEW!

My complaint on this Thursday? My sister always wants to borrow all of the yard 'tools' instead of getting her own. And if I hear the complaint about spending the $200 on the leaf blower, I'll have to wonder how she just dropped thousands $$ on a new kitchen. Call me selfish, but my Husqvarna is NEW!

As a woman, her money should go towards the kitchen. :D

Tell her she can use the new leaf blower, so long as she doesn't leave your yard :flirt:

As a woman, her money should go towards the kitchen. :D

:w00t: nice

My neighbor borrowed my chainsaw a few weeks ago, I realized last weekend that I needed it and I had to track him down to get it back. I took it home and it's not working and leaking fuel. This is a guy who you never hear from unless he needs your help or wants to borrow tools. F'n neighbors. :censored:

My neighbor borrowed my chainsaw a few weeks ago, I realized last weekend that I needed it and I had to track him down to get it back. I took it home and it's not working and leaking fuel. This is a guy who you never hear from unless he needs your help or wants to borrow tools. F'n neighbors. :censored:

This is my sister who borrowed the old ShopVac/blower that now only the blower works - and that's what she's borrowing! I am VERY leery of letting her borrow my stuff, especially when it's only a week old.

I'll be sure to tell her that yes, she should have put the $$ into the kitchen. ;)

My company has pushed me to my breaking point with their stupidity. I went to school to be a mechanical engineer. I have my bachelors and masters, and I passed the FE exam. I am grateful to have a job, don't get me wrong, but I spent 6 years at a school learning engineering, not marketing, advertising and sales. I did not sign on for a sales, marketing and advertising job. I was told it would be sales engineering. I have completed maybe 3 engineering projects in my time here. Every time I finally get an engineering job though, I get yelled at for not doing enough of the other 3. I am slowly losing my knowledge of engineering, and it's frustrating.

I finally decided after discussing with my girlfriend that I would apply for new jobs. She says I'm always grumpy when I get home, and they are taking my weekends away from me making me travel, and not reimbursing me in any way for that time. So last night I applied for 6 new jobs, 5 of which are in Buffalo. So there's some Friday thread worthy news in there too. I'm just at my breaking point, and it's pouring into my personal life, which is signaling time for a change.

good for you, man. words cannot adequately express how sh**ty one can feel when his or her job is just that unbearable. i made the jump 4 years ago from my old company to a company 40 miles away, and i *LOVED* it. i was excited to get up, go to work, come home, sometimes keep working after i got home ... it was huge. so much so that the gray spot i had on the back of my head went from the size of a small orange down to the size of a dime in a matter of weeks. i kid you not.

happy hunting, man. i hope you find something that will make you happy and keep you gainfully employed.

as for my halloween-related complaint, y'all know i live in utah. we wouldn't be utah if we didn't feel like we have to do things differently. halloween is no exception. someone came up with the brilliant idea years ago that holding a "trunk or treat" instead of traditional door-to-door candy collecting is much safer. it caught on like wildfire, and ... yah.

so my wife got swept up in the idea. initially, i hated it. it robs me of the ability to take my kids around. it denys me the opportunity to stay home and pass out candy. on our morgue of a street, we already get precious few kids as it is. throw this trunk or treat concept into the mix, and we get literally 2 halloween door knocks a year.

last night, we decided to participate in one of the local trunk or treats. my job was to man the back of the van, play halloween-themed music, and hand out candy. in the interest of full disclosure, it really was fun. lots of cute costumes; parents peddling their 6-month old in a ladybug costume, desperately attempting to get free candy (and i obliged ...); lots of neighborhood friends out and about ... so yah. it was fun.

with the very notable exception of the jack-a** kids who tried to just take the candy out of my bowl instead of speaking the magic phrase and the giving of the candy. no--these tweens decided that it was already their candy, and tried grabbing handfuls. "hey, umm ... what are you doing?"

"taking my candy."

"i'm sorry ... your *what*?"

"my candy ..."

"son, it's not YOUR candy until *i* dump it in your bag. until then, it's in my bowl, and it's my candy."

honest to God, this entitlement mentality is getting out of hand.

Edited by Chris_in_UT

good for you, man. words cannot adequately express how sh**ty one can feel when his or her job is just that unbearable. i made the jump 4 years ago from my old company to a company 40 miles away, and i *LOVED* it. i was excited to get up, go to work, come home, sometimes keep working after i got home ... it was huge. so much so that the gray spot i had on the back of my head went from the size of a small orange down to the size of a dime in a matter of weeks. i kid you not.

happy hunting, man. i hope you find something that will make you happy and keep you gainfully employed.

Thanks. Yeah, I have no desire to go out of my way for anything or anyone here. I find it important to 1) feel appreciated and 2) enjoy what you're doing. I've got neither right now so...

I though tthat meant slow down, there's a cop with radar... Not enough people extend that simple courtesy anymore...

I stopped doing it years ago. Let em get caught. I don't care. Most people could use a little negative reinforcement when it comes to paying attention to the road.

Thanks. Yeah, I have no desire to go out of my way for anything or anyone here. I find it important to 1) feel appreciated and 2) enjoy what you're doing. I've got neither right now so...

I had a similar situation. I worked at my previous employer for 5 yrs but I couldnt take the toxic working environment. A lot of backstabbing by upper management and the mechanical engineering department was treated like dog crap. I was always in a bad mood after work. I decided to look for a new job and luckily found one within a few months. I have been here a year and love it. I enjoy what I do and the work environment is fantastic. Good luck with your search.

My complaint:

So much for the Winter Classic saving the hockey season. The NHL is drifting further out into the Sea of Irrelovence.

I stopped doing it years ago. Let em get caught. I don't care. Most people could use a little negative reinforcement when it comes to paying attention to the road.

I still extend the courtesy. Nothing f's up the day quicker than getting a ticket... I do what I can...

Chris in Utah... its not the kids its their parents and their complete lack of parenting which creates these douchebag children.

My complaint the youth of today, 16-25 year old folks. they all think they are 10 feet tall and bulletproof. This mentality had me bury 6 of this age group in the past 3 weeks. Drinking and driving , bath salts and other acts of plain stupidity. STOP!! Y'all are too too young to be laid to rest.Parents please take a strong interest in your childrens lives please

Edited by 2ForTripping

This is the code as I know it:

Flashing High Beams: Danger/cop ahead of you.

Lights off and on to oncoming car: Your lights aren't on.

Lights off and on when a large vehicle is passing you: You're clear to move back to the right.

Blink of the flashers/lights off and on after a pass: thanks (in the dark)

Very good. I don't see a lot of old school common sense and courtesy out there anymore.

The truckers are the only ones I really see do the last 2. If a truck lets me in I do a quick double flash of the hazzards. A car gets the hand in the air.

If I see a cop ahead and am far enough back from him seeing it, I tap the brakes 5-6 times in a second to wake people up behind me....3 or 4 deliberate pumps if it is an accident or bottleneck coming up. Once you've seen a truck plow into someone screeching the brakes at 45 MPH, you don't want to see a repeat.

Very good. I don't see a lot of old school common sense and courtesy out there anymore.

The truckers are the only ones I really see do the last 2. If a truck lets me in I do a quick double flash of the hazzards. A car gets the hand in the air.

Yeah, the trucks are really the only ones that do that. I picked it up when I lived in Binghamton and used to drive to Buffalo a lot. On the bike, I give a 1-second high beam, since I can't turn the headlight off. I don't use it that much, since I'm generally the one doing the passing. :devil: