Off-season Game Plan 2024

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well everyone's available everywhere theoretically but that's kind of meaningless. 

Could still be Power. Ask me again in 2 years. 

Got it, you favor Power.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

You can’t convincingly argue it’s a meaningless distinction when your view yields an untradeable ….JJ Peterka, and mine argues for trading Dahlin (my favourite player) should an appropriate deal present itself. 

and you just want to argue about words rather than ideas. wtf does it matter how I said it?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Got it, you favor Power.

Not what I said. 

Dahlin is what he is. I can assess that pretty accurately. 

Power is not yet what he might become. So get back to me in 2 years when Power should be at the beginning of what he will actually be. 

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not what I said. 

Dahlin is what he is. I can assess that pretty accurately. 

Power is not yet what he might become. So get back to me in 2 years when Power should be at the beginning of what he will actually be. 

If the core guys we decided to build around can’t get to 90 (Tage, Dahlin), 70-80 (Cozens, Tuch), and 50-60 points (Quinn, JJ, Power, maybe Benson) then we need to make some significant hockey trades. 

But I don’t think that’s necessary.  They can get there.  I want to see those forwards with Lindy.  I want to see Power and Muel with Lindy.

I want to see Skinner bought out   

The entire bottom 6 needs to be revamped and we need one more physical D man.   

UPL

Levi

We are not far off we just need these boys to become men.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Weave said:

You basically put half of a never won anything roster on the protected list.

Even Dahlin (and certainly  Power) should be available for the right price.  I’m not talking about a dream overpayment.  I mean, for the right price noone should be off limits if you are really serious about winning.

Everybody is available for the right price; it’s a motherhood statement.

What’s more relevant is where the list of players who might be available, and the list of players you would include Owen Power in a trade for intersects.

Not wanting to trade Power for Makar is different than not wanting to trade him for Marner is different than not wanting to trade him for Ullmark.

Kevyn Adams said Casey Mittelstadt was off limits until someone offered the right price. If you asked him, he’d probably say he took it because he was serious about winning.

The bold is no different. It’s just painting a player judgement as a philosophical argument when all it really is two people disagreeing on what 2 players are worth.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Everybody is available for the right price; it’s a motherhood statement.

What’s more relevant is where the list of players who might be available, and the list of players you would include Owen Power in a trade for intersects.

Not wanting to trade Power for Makar is different than not wanting to trade him for Marner is different than not wanting to trade him for Ullmark.

Kevyn Adams said Casey Mittelstadt was off limits until someone offered the right price. If you asked him, he’d probably say he took it because he was serious about winning.

The bold is no different. It’s just painting a player judgement as a philosophical argument when all it really is two people disagreeing on what 2 players are worth.

Had the post I replied to been written without the absolutes, as your was, I likely never would have chimed in at all.

Although Wookie not acknowledging the continuum of players between McDavid and Dahlin probably would have triggered me.  😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

There are two relevant lists.

1. FAs who can help us and want to come here.  This is not going to be a list people here really want.  These are all going to be 3rd and 4th line forwards and depth D.  I also don’t think KA will give out a big FA contract.  So far, since the Hall fiasco, Clifton is his biggest ($) and longest outside FA deal.  I’m not expecting anything larger this summer. 

2. Players available in trade without NTC/NMC.  Again a difficult list.  I think we’ll have to shopping at cap strapped teams, but it’s not going to be a long list.   Another requirement is the guy having some term (1-4 years?). The other part of the list could be an RFA a team can’t afford or isn’t a good fit on his current team.  

The only player I’ve found so far that fits our needs and who could be available is Anthony Cirelli. The issue with Cirelli is the 7 years remaining on his deal, which is probably too much term given the depth of our forward prospect pool. I’m sure there are others, but how many? 

Looks like another off-season of scrapping the bottom of the barrel. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 3

This was about the Leafs, but it fully applies to how Granato coached the Sabres and how Adams has spoken the past year or so. I think the bold in particular sums up how Granato had this team playing last year and I think or hope Lindy Ruff changes that. Still, they need to decide are they building a tight checking team that wins 2-1 and 3-1 or are they building a push back the defense type of team that will pummel you 6-3? Guess we will find out this offseason but the bold really spoke to how I viewed last years Sabres. 

Slowly and agonizingly, the Leafs Sabres have abandoned their most potent strengths in favor of covering up perceived weaknesses. They’ve morphed into a bland, milquetoast team with a borrowed identity that prioritizes nothing but playing The Right Way to an extreme fault. And it was all for absolutely nothing, as it led them to the same place they always end up anyway. https://theathletic.com/5477594/2024/05/08/maple-leafs-safe-is-death/

Edited by LGR4GM
added hyperlink
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Kevyn Adams should dial up VGK and get the ball rolling on these FAs. Jonathan Marchessault's contract is the big talking point heading into the offseason. The impending free agent enjoyed the best statistical season of his career, netting 42 goals last season. An original misfit and Conn Smythe winner. Other impending free agents whose futures are uncertain are Alec Martinez, Chandler Stephenson, Michael Amadio, William Carrier, and Anthony Mantha.

I think Stephenson would look good as a Third Line Centerman in the Swords uni. He's got great speed and good at faceoffs too.

35 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

A Blackhawks site proposed a 2nd and Aiden Thompson for Skinner; so I played with that as a premise

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/5116530

Skinner isn’t waiving ntc for anyone except Toronto 

On 5/8/2024 at 9:34 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

There are two relevant lists.

1. FAs who can help us and want to come here.  This is not going to be a list people here really want.  These are all going to be 3rd and 4th line forwards and depth D.  I also don’t think KA will give out a big FA contract.  So far, since the Hall fiasco, Clifton is his biggest ($) and longest outside FA deal.  I’m not expecting anything larger this summer. 

2. Players available in trade without NTC/NMC.  Again a difficult list.  I think we’ll have to shopping at cap strapped teams, but it’s not going to be a long list.   Another requirement is the guy having some term (1-4 years?). The other part of the list could be an RFA a team can’t afford or isn’t a good fit on his current team.  

The only player I’ve found so far that fits our needs and who could be available is Anthony Cirelli. The issue with Cirelli is the 7 years remaining on his deal, which is probably too much term given the depth of our forward prospect pool. I’m sure there are others, but how many? 

Looks like another off-season of scrapping the bottom of the barrel. 

UFA in the NHL is fools gold. We need to trade prospects and picks for players. 

59 minutes ago, freester said:

He could play with Bedard and its not like Chicago is extremely far away. 

1 hour ago, freester said:

Not for bottom 6 forwards. 3-4 new forwards not currently on the Sabres/Amerks/Jrs need to be brought in this summer. 

UFA fails when you try to turn a tweener into a top 6 or you take a passenger paired with an all star and expect him to drive the play on his own. For the bottom 6 and role players it works out great as those guys are common cap casualties. And that’s all we’re looking for. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

UFA fails when you try to turn a tweener into a top 6 or you take a passenger paired with an all star and expect him to drive the play on his own. For the bottom 6 and role players it works out great as those guys are common cap casualties. And that’s all we’re looking for. 

Cough Ville Leino cough😄

9 hours ago, freester said:

Yes we do, but we also can use free agency. I would argue that paying a guy like Lindholm big money is worth it and I suspect somebody like Boston will pay him big money but mostly we want to target middle aged guys who ae underpaid on cap tight teams like Clifton was last year. Sure Cliffy's far from perfect, and he is slightly over paid, but he did make the D better than it was. 

An aging 2C who could now slip into a 3C role or an underpaid 3/4C with upside. A defensive D man. A couple grinders. The things this team doesn't have right now. Get them any way you can. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2024 at 2:11 PM, Hawerchuk said:

Kevyn Adams should dial up VGK and get the ball rolling on these FAs. Jonathan Marchessault's contract is the big talking point heading into the offseason. The impending free agent enjoyed the best statistical season of his career, netting 42 goals last season. An original misfit and Conn Smythe winner. Other impending free agents whose futures are uncertain are Alec Martinez, Chandler Stephenson, Michael Amadio, William Carrier, and Anthony Mantha.

I think Stephenson would look good as a Third Line Centerman in the Swords uni. He's got great speed and good at faceoffs too.

Ideally we can land Marchessault or Stamkos. 

Trade for Brady Tkachuk then have him convince his brother to accept a trade here

Cozens + 11th pick + prospects for Brady

Tage + Samuelsson + 2025 1st + prospects for Matthew

obviously not realistic....but this team needs a shakeup 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Disagree 3

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Trade for Brady Tkachuk then have him convince his brother to accept a trade here

Cozens + 11th pick + prospects for Brady

Tage + Samuelsson + 2025 1st + prospects for Matthew

obviously not realistic....but this team needs a shakeup 

This trade removes all our centers. We'd be worse after making it and have 2 years of no first round picks while almost certainly drafting top 10.