Off-season Game Plan 2024

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ryan Johnson outplayed almost every single one of the players you listed above him here. Just to toss that out. Actually... hold that thought. 

Why do you think so?

I thought Johnson held his own for the most part, but he also had some of the easiest minutes on the blueline.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Frankly I see little to no scenario we buyout Skinner this offseason; the earliest I could see it is next season  

I completely agree.  We traded away Mitts because GMHD/TP didn't want to pay him.  No way TP writes $14.67 worth of checks to Skinner to not play for the Sabres.

I think our best hope to move on from Skinner is to trade him at the deadline and eat 1/3 of his remaining contract.  

Hell, who knows, maybe Lindy works some magic on Jeff and he plays again like he did in 2022/23.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I completely agree.  We traded away Mitts because GMHD/TP didn't want to pay him.  No way TP writes $14.67 worth of checks to Skinner to not play for the Sabres..  

Especially after that cheapskate paid Donnie Granato $6M to not coach the Sabres and gave Owen Power and Rasmus Dahlin $20M.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I completely agree.  We traded away Mitts because GMHD/TP didn't want to pay him.  No way TP writes $14.67 worth of checks to Skinner to not play for the Sabres.

I think our best hope to move on from Skinner is to trade him at the deadline and eat 1/3 of his remaining contract.  

Hell, who knows, maybe Lindy works some magic on Jeff and he plays again like he did in 2022/23.  

I think they traded Mitts because they decided -- correctly, IMHO -- that he isn't worth what it would've cost to keep him.  That is not the same as being too much of a cheapskate to pay the market rate for a good player.

I agree that their best hope on Skinner is for Lindy to get more out of him.  A buyout next summer is also possible and IMHO much more likely than a buyout this summer or a trade at the deadline.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

To my mind:

• Dahlin is a clear-cut #1
  • Power is a 2/3 with #1 upside
  • Byram is a 3/4 with 1st-pair upside
  • Samuelsson is a 3/4 with injury issues
  • Jokiharju is a 4/5
  • Clifton is a 4/5
  • Johnson is a 6/7 with 4/5 upside
  • Bryson is a 7

As a group they seem to skate and transition very well, defend the rush pretty well, need improvement boxing out and with in-zone reads, add to the attack nicely, and lack nasty.

Ideally, they would add some snarl and defensive acumen, but I think in general that's a deep, highly-skilled group with everyone properly slotted. I'm curious to see what Lindy can do with them.

Payroll is interesting:

• Dahlin will the league's 3rd-highest paid defenceman next year
  • Power will be paid like an average 1D
  • Samuelsson like a good 3D
  • Byram and Clifton like average 2nd-pairing guys
  • And Jokiharju has probably earned a deal like Clifton's

Obviously the Mule, Dahlin and Power contracts are designed to hurt most this coming year, but this is not a cheap group

I'm not looking to make change for the sake of change.  But, if we come back next year with the same top-6 D and Skinner, there won't be many roster spots or much cap space left to make substantial change.  I'm onboard for a remade 4th line, but I don't see (as examples) adding Noah Cates through trade and the likes of Brendan Smith, William Carrier, Kevin Stenlund, etc. as UFA's as moving the needle all that much.  And just adding players of that level (along with extensions for Joker, Krebs, UPL, Bryson) will get us within a couple millions of the cap.     

Something else to consider is Ruff bringing in a forward and a d familiar with his system and expectations.

The 95-96 Panthers provided the Sabres with Barnes, Woolley, and Warrener.

Look to the recent Stars and Devils rosters. Who could be brought in for a Joker/Johnson or even (the redundant?) Byram? Remember, Warrener was still young when he was paired with baby McKee. You could bring in someone for Power, or even a Novikov on the 3rd pair, in the next couple seasons. But Warrener was already Cup Final-experienced with Ruff.

But back to my main theme, this offseason look to recent Devils and possibly a Star.

And draft baby Satan in the 6th for fun. 

• Haha (+1) 1

So, on the Panther's broadcast they are playing up the Stamkos UFA narrative. As a thought exercise, do we have the cap room for a Stamkos contract? For those prone to freaking out over brainstorming - it's just brainstorming. I recognize it would make Cozens an overpaid third line center, but on the flip side of that a few years in that role could be just what he needs.

34 minutes ago, ... said:

So, on the Panther's broadcast they are playing up the Stamkos UFA narrative. As a thought exercise, do we have the cap room for a Stamkos contract? For those prone to freaking out over brainstorming - it's just brainstorming. I recognize it would make Cozens an overpaid third line center, but on the flip side of that a few years in that role could be just what he needs.

I would rather the Lightning sign him and we trade for Cirelli and Jeannot.

37 minutes ago, ... said:

We have 23ish million in cap for next year so it's possible to fit a contract for him. Would depend on Stamkos asked but the short answer is yes we could afford it for 1 year without issue. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/26/2024 at 4:22 PM, Thorny said:

This is the most I can ever remember the board being so nearly unanimously in favour of moving picks and prospects even the good ones. Definitely saying something. 

It’s time. We finally care about now. The future can ***** off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

What we want to see happen:

1) Make serious changes to the bottom six.

2) Move out a few defensemen and upgrade at least one of the top 4. 

3) Add a solid "#2 center" with upside

4) Move Krebs for value

What will happen: 

1) Rochester kids call up

2) Worthless lackluster depth additions that have no cohesiveness with the team, and or have fallen off a cliff.

Kevyn Adams is a pathetic overeager mouthpiece and puppet for the Pegula's.  I'm sure he wants to do well in a perfect world, but he's too busy sucking off the taint of Terry.  It's a farse.

Tell us how you really feel lol. I actually agree with much of this but my feeling is Lindy wouldn’t have agreed to come back for the status quo. KA must improve the roster. We’ll see.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/24/2024 at 12:39 PM, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

To me it showed that management thought they were SABRES and then realized they were AHLers AFTER they signed them. Not to smart to me. 

To me it shows that this organization is finally compiling sufficient depth to protect against injuries.  People are focusing on Jost and Stillman, but look at Bryson:  He played in both Rochester and Buffalo at a cap hit of $1.85 million.  He was our 7/8D for much of the year, but still played 36 NHL games (vs 10 AHL games).  Quality tweeners are important depth.  We're not used to seeing this because our depth has sucked for the last decade.

• Agree 2

Matthew Fairburn of the Athletic with a bunch of players who could be signed to remake the bottom 6.  

https://theathletic.com/5458480/2024/04/30/sabres-free-agent-targets/

If you don’t have a subscription, here are the names(without cutting and pasting the entire article)…

Dakota Joshua
Anthony Mantha
Stefan Noesen
Ryan Lomberg
William Carrier
Warren Foegele
Yakov Trenin
Teddy Blueger
Tyler Motte
Kiefer Sherwood
Christian Fischer
Brandon Duhaime

Edited by LabattBlue

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Matthew Fairburn of the Athletic with a bunch of players who could be signed to remake the bottom 6.  

If you don’t have a subscription, here are the names(without cutting and pasting the entire article)…

Dakota Joshua
Anthony Mantha
Stefan Noesen
Ryan Lomberg
William Carrier
Warren Foegele
Yakov Trenin
Teddy Blueger
Tyler Motte
Kiefer Sherwood
Christian Fischer
Brandon Duhaime

I order one Dakota Joshua and one Stefan Noesen please.

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Dakota Joshua
Anthony Mantha
Stefan Noesen
Ryan Lomberg
William Carrier
Warren Foegele
Yakov Trenin
Teddy Blueger
Tyler Motte
Kiefer Sherwood
Christian Fischer
Brandon Duhaime

I like Joshua, Noesen and Sherwood for a 3rd line. I am not sure if Joshua can play C at the NHL level but he is listed as a C while Vancouver uses him mainly as LW.

I would try to get Carrier because he can be a 4th line guy with a lot of playoff experience and cup. 78 playoff games and counting, perfect 4th line guy who knows what the playoff take and he's 29. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would try to get Carrier because he can be a 4th line guy with a lot of playoff experience and cup. 78 playoff games and counting, perfect 4th line guy who knows what the playoff take and he's 29. 

The only problem with Carrier is he makes Muel look like Doug Jarvis.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Just don’t pull another “Kevyn Adams”. Even sports teams close by are catching the stench: 

In 2021, Vlad Guerrero Jr. was 22 years old,  hit .311, 48 home runs, 123 runs, 111 rbi's, .400+ on base, .600+ slugging.  Most thought he was only going to get better.

Since then his average went from .311 to .274, then .264, and so far  .228 this year. 

His slugging .601 to .480, then .461 and now .351 this year.

He is 'on pace' for 16 home runs, 59 rbi's this year. 

The Jays have made the playoffs 3 times with him, not losing every single time (6 total losses) without a single win. Vlad Jr. is 3 for 21 in those playoff games (batting .136) with no home runs, 1 total RBI.

The team is not perfect. But Vlad Guerrero, his production dropping every year since 2021 and falling off a cliff this year is a large part of where they are vs where they EXPECTED to be.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

In 2021, Vlad Guerrero Jr. was 22 years old,  hit .311, 48 home runs, 123 runs, 111 rbi's, .400+ on base, .600+ slugging.  Most thought he was only going to get better.

Since then his average went from .311 to .274, then .264, and so far  .228 this year. 

His slugging .601 to .480, then .461 and now .351 this year.

He is 'on pace' for 16 home runs, 59 rbi's this year. 

The Jays have made the playoffs 3 times with him, not losing every single time (6 total losses) without a single win. Vlad Jr. is 3 for 21 in those playoff games (batting .136) with no home runs, 1 total RBI.

The team is not perfect. But Vlad Guerrero, his production dropping every year since 2021 and falling off a cliff this year is a large part of where they are vs where they EXPECTED to be.

Lol I’m a die hard Jays fan I know all of this already - but thank you for attempting to explain things to me as if I am 5

You are *literally* doing the “it’s all Tage Thompson!” thing again, but here haha. I do not care about this argument, it is not an interesting argument 

And, I absolutely cannot stress this last part enough: *it is not relevant to what I am saying*

GM’s are allowed to do things. Your go-to argument is even more absurdly placed here as the signs with Vladdy have been there since leaving Dunedin. This isn’t a one year thing, and their approach here was particularly unusual b/c unlike the Sabres, the Jays usually care about having and meeting some level of expectations. Even had they gotten the exact Vladdy of last season, they be in dire need of help right now. Yes, it was obvious the team needed more help this year. It is not a surprise Vladdy didn’t bounce back to “form” yet. We may never see 2021 Vladdy again, truth be told. The idea is constructing a team in light of what you actually have - not what you were hoping it would be 

- - -

the “they were good but lost in the playoffs cause Vladdy shut it down” is the chef’s kiss portion of this. You are cherry picking stats as if it’s a theme. Check the stats of the other players in those games.

Most importantly: go look up “8-1 Jays, John Schneider pulls Kevin Gausman” 

edit: for the record, the constant bashing of Vladdy online is annoying anyways. I think he can be and is a good player. I can live with that. I think he can and will get back to his production from last year, this year. If they continually expect greatness, when that’s proven to be dicey at best, that’s on them. 

Edited by Thorny