OT Masters begins today, who is your favorite golfer?

If you want to get into our PGA majors pool, I think it’s early enough we can let you in. You pick two golfers for each of the four majors and you can’t repeat any golfers. Total salary from all eight golfers determined your final score. We have 11 in our group right now. A bunch of us from TBD and two of us have some family members. $25. 

If anyone wants to join I would need two golfers ASAP to put you on the spreadsheet.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

If you want to get into our PGA majors pool, I think it’s early enough we can let you in. You pick two golfers for each of the four majors and you can’t repeat any golfers. Total salary from all eight golfers determined your final score. We have 11 in our group right now. A bunch of us from TBD and two of us have some family members. $25. 

If anyone wants to join I would need two golfers ASAP to put you on the spreadsheet.

I am just learning due to my son's enthusiasm so I think at best i'd be too much of a novice to intelligently participate... maybe next year.

Just now, North Buffalo said:

I am just learning due to my son's enthusiasm so I think at best i'd be too much of a novice to intelligently participate... maybe next year.

My wife and my daughter are in this. Can’t get more novice than that.

49 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Ok why not... Scheffler and Rory Mc

Of people that you may be familiar with over there it’s me, Gugny, Jauronimo, BringBackFregy, Mike in Horseheads, ExiledinIllinois, and GoBills808. Then two of Mike’s family members and two of my family members. I would say almost 50% don’t watch golf at all.

• Like (+1) 1

I like Tiger. He might be a hot head, and he might be a little too into Tiger, but watching him when he was at the top of his game was like nothing else I've seen in golf. 

The cynic in me also liked how he turned the blue blood golf establishment upside down.

The Nicklaus vs Tiger debate is an entertaining one, but I'm firmly in Tiger's camp. Yes, Tiger likely won't win the same number of majors as Jack did, but in Jack's prime, there were far fewer golfers around the world, playing on far fewer golf courses, and only the well heeled played the game. Realistically, there were only a handful of guys capable of winning on a week to week basis, and a lot of them were stars in their own right.

By Tiger's era, there were so many more people golfing... There were far more guys guys competing for 2nd place than in Jack's era... And maybe only Phil was able to gain any kind of real notoriety.

By extension, if there's ever another golfer that dominates like Jack and Tiger did, he'll be able to lay claim that he was the best, since in the post-Tiger era everyone golfs!

Edited by JoeSchmoe

4 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

My favorite is Happy Gilmore. Unorthodox swing and injury prone when hit by a car but has some skill. 

Screw him, Shooter McGavin is so much better. Not to mention I met him at a Bills game. He's a huge Bills fan and was there with Jim Kelly one day. Him and Jimbo are good friends and I sit 4 rows behind Kelly. He rarely sits outside anymore, but his wife and extremely good looking daughters are always in their seats. 

As for real golfers, Lefty has been a longtime favorite of mine, but him leaving for the LIV kinda pissed me off. Always liked watching Sergio Garcia. Also a fan of Ricky Fowler, Camilo "Spiderman" Villegas and Aaron "Badds" Baddeley. Don't mind Koepka either. Was nice to see him win at Oak Hill. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Craig Stadler was a hoot. Tom Watson pure class. Greg Norman was the car accident about to happen you couldn't look away from.

This was a huge part of my life as a yout. So many wasted Sundays... Summer watching golf and fall watching the Bills.

I played and could have been pretty good had I applied myself. Shot a 74 once and had an eagle. The story of my life...

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Craig Stadler was a hoot. Tom Watson pure class. Greg Norman was the car accident about to happen you couldn't look away from.

This was a huge part of my life as a yout. So many wasted Sundays... Summer watching golf and fall watching the Bills.

I played and could have been pretty good had I applied myself. Shot a 74 once and had an eagle. The story of my life...

How does someone shoot a 74, but hasn’t applied themselves? I don’t see how that’s humanly possible.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

How does someone shoot a 74, but hasn’t applied themselves? I don’t see how that’s humanly possible.

I mean, it was an outlier. I guess what I'm saying is I could have done it more often had I applied myself. I never practiced driving, which was the bane of my game. But if I had a good day off the tee I could make some hay, bc I spent hours hitting wedges and 9 irons in a large abandoned football field behind my house that the school still mowed. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

He didn’t mention it was a 9 hole score.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/11/2024 at 10:54 AM, North Buffalo said:

Seems appropriate given Sabres state of affairs.

I am a Scheffler fan.

This is going to sound lame but I’m not a huge golf fan at all, I find it hard to watch to be honest. Back in the 90s I was huge into sportscards and there was a set of cards called proset, my sport is football and hockey so I’d buy both those sports religiously.

in the set I found out you can get special cards like a rare Santa Claus or golfer Payne Stewart and they sold for decent money back then so the chase was on and it make me dive into golf a bit and of course Payne Stewart and those wacky pants he used to wear. I still don’t watch golf that much now but seeing I think it was Jack Nicolas out there was pretty cool to see he can still do it.

Scheffler is great. I am totally meh on him as a fan. My favorite golfers over the years have been Jack (started watching golf in 1970), then Freddy, then Norman, then Mickelson (I chatted with him at the Masters practice round in 1993. Been a fan ever since; in spite of LIV). Not a huge fan of anyone on the leaderboard. I kind of like Dechambeau (I’ve mostly been a fan of players others hated. When I was a kid, every golf fan on earth loved Arnie and hated Jack. So I rooted for him). 

• Like (+1) 1

Lefty here so I followed those guys more.

Mickelson was my guy for 30 years even though I wasn’t a big fan of his on screen personality. I understand his move to LIV financially, but it was a bit of a stomach punch the way he handled it.

In the Jack vs Tiger debate I am in Jack’s camp because of longevity and top 3’s,  top 10’s and such.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Lefty here so I followed those guys more.

Mickelson was my guy for 30 years even though I wasn’t a big fan of his on screen personality. I understand his move to LIV financially, but it was a bit of a stomach punch the way he handled it.

In the Jack vs Tiger debate I am in Jack’s camp because of longevity and top 3’s,  top 10’s and such.

I gained alot of respect for Michelson watching a Wednesday practice round for the PGA Championship at Oak Hill in 2003.  Lefty and Daly were paired up.  I don’t remember which par 5, but they came up to the tee box and pulled 3 woods out of their bag.  The small crowd around the tee box booed loudly.  Phil and John chatted very briefly and grabbed their drivers.  The crowd cheered, and they put on a brief show.

Phil used to get it.  Daly always did.  It appears that Michelson’s self importance has taken over.  I don’t have that respect for him anymore.

• Like (+1) 1