Does Pegula Have Any Pride?

Flashsabre

Everyone here complaining about Pegula and he’s not even the worst owner of a sports franchise I’m a fan of.

Sabres fans, behold your future:

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-pirates-could-try-to-be-a-real-baseball-team-but-they-dont-have-to/

“Well, the Pirates have been hard to watch for a long time.

They haven’t won a playoff series since 1979 and have had four winning seasons since 1992. They dismantled a 98-win team following the 2015 season in the name of financial gain. (That’s the definition of a despicable betrayal.)

But the Pirates never disappoint because they always disappoint. Some fans actually defend owner Bob Nutting’s thrift. Nutting’s greatest trick is making customers care about his money like it’s their money even as he takes their money and makes it his money.

It’s an amazing phenomenon.”

Edited by RochesterExpat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

If my team was bombing towards a 13th straight year without the playoffs and I was 0 for 13 as an owner I would be mad as hell.

I would be demanding answers and demanding changes, big changes.

But we all know what is coming.

Adams back, preaching patience and how the future looks bright and that this is a process, youngest team in the league, how much he believes in the guys and that they are going with the kids again next year.

Granato will be back. Players believe in him.

Im not even sure the assistants will be turfed.

I don’t know how they think anything will change. There will be 5000 in the stands next year.

Will Adams even get mad at the end of season presser? Will he even admit none of this is acceptable? 

What good, other than satiating your desires, does Adams expressing anger in a conference with the media do?  I don’t care about words. I need action.   

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

What good, other than satiating your desires, does Adams expressing anger in a conference with the media do?  I don’t care about words. I need action.   

Because if he doesn’t show some passion and admit that this isn’t acceptable then no changes will be coming. If you’re fine with that then great but I’m done with this mess

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Because if he doesn’t show some passion and admit that this isn’t acceptable then no changes will be coming. If you’re fine with that then great but I’m done with this mess

WORDS DON’T MEAN ANYTHING 

Punch is spot on. With no infusion of capable veterans this team will flounder. I’ve heard countless talking heads say the same. You can’t draft and develop without augmenting the lineup with outside help in the form of veteran experience. This roster is top heavy with people who have never experienced what it takes to get into the playoffs. Skinny is one example. Close to 1000 games without a spot in the show. Scuttle that guy. Build a proper team Terry or f**k off.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

If my team was bombing towards a 13th straight year without the playoffs and I was 0 for 13 as an owner I would be mad as hell.

I would be demanding answers and demanding changes, big changes.

But we all know what is coming.

Adams back, preaching patience and how the future looks bright and that this is a process, youngest team in the league, how much he believes in the guys and that they are going with the kids again next year.

Granato will be back. Players believe in him.

Im not even sure the assistants will be turfed.

I don’t know how they think anything will change. There will be 5000 in the stands next year.

Will Adams even get mad at the end of season presser? Will he even admit none of this is acceptable? 

This is basically what I wrote in the thread asking will it be possible to make the playoffs next year...why expect things to change?

The thing about Pegula is that he KNOWS just how much he interferes with the team, and how many or which decisions are coming directly from him.

You would think after this much embarrassment and failure, he would have learned by now that whatever he personally is doing is not working.

And yet he seems to be going about "owning the Sabres" the same way year after year.

I genuinely hope that the whole experience reaches a point where the most sensible decision is to move on FROM the team....sell.

He can focus on the real jewel in his ownership crown anyway, the NFL and the Bills.

Remember, this whole Sabres ownership thing was supposed to be Kim's thing, at least as I understand it.

Just sell, cut bait...hell, you'll make @ $600 million when when you do so, Terry.

Sell!

• Like (+1) 1

In hockey,  yes.  Worst owner and no pride.  Last night should have been a huge embarrassment and black eye for this team,  but has become acceptable and normal.  He talked a huge game when he bought the team,  but clearly shows he it's clueless on how to run this team.  The firing of Fontaine was the start. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

I think if I were a billionaire, the only thing that would bother me would be verbal threats or insults against my family. As a rich successful person, what could really ruffle his feathers or make him care about something that much when he has the world at his finger tips? 

That depends on whether or not he is taking the Sabres success (or lack thereof) personally.  Is this is his personal mission to bring a Cup to Buffalo?  If he thinks of it that way, I can totally see this torturing him.  All depends on how he views things.

It is worth noting that he has basically disappeared from the public eye for a period of YEARS, he never makes public comments about the big picture moving forward, and he doesn't even show for home games very often. 

You do wonder how invested he is at this stage of the game. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Punch is spot on. With no infusion of capable veterans this team will flounder. I’ve heard countless talking heads say the same. You can’t draft and develop without augmenting the lineup with outside help in the form of veteran experience. This roster is top heavy with people who have never experienced what it takes to get into the playoffs. Skinny is one example. Close to 1000 games without a spot in the show. Scuttle that guy. Build a proper team Terry or f**k off.

I’ve been beating that drum since Jack was drafted.  It’s the only form of team building they haven’t tried yet.

Hmmm……

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, freester said:

Pegula has a lot of pride and wants to win as much as we all do. The problem is he doesn’t know how to go about it. He has hired a variety of people in management and coaching that haven’t worked out. Currently he has hired Adams as GM. If you think he is incompetent, I disagree with you. I think Adams has done a better job than Granato and I think a coaching change is in order. 

Adams did such an exhaustive coaching search when Ralph was fired?  

He named Granato interim head coach.  Then he interviewed _____ ?    He interviewed, ahhh, uuhmm?   He must have interviewed someone?   

Lets looks at the goaltending.  He failed to retain Ulmark but he brought in - Tokarski, Dell, Anderson, Subban, Howser, and Levi (via the NCAA in a trade for Sam Reinhart).   He did this with tons of cap space because he did not want to block Levi.   Who is our #1 goalie?   UPL, a guy he inherited.  

I wont say Adams is incompetent at this time, his drafts have been pretty good.  I will say he underestimates the scope of his job, and he overestimates his prospects and the players that he acquires.  

He says he is not accountable for the drought,  and neither are any of his players.   Yet he is responsible for ~1/3 of it.  

Year 5 is coming for Kevvy.   This will tell us a lot.  It could turn out that Granato was more competent than Adams.  Between the two, Granato has prepared for his position for much longer than Adams has.  We will see what Adams does this off season to improve the team and to make the playoffs. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

That reminds me that we need a new Sabres themed Kentucky Derby horse naming thread.

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's not until May 4. But I have my eye on Alex's Tuch.

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Better than Jost at the post 

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I’m putting a hundred on TripleE.

Tossing my hat in the ring for:

'Slo Startz'

'Rancid Meatballs'

'Thirteen N Counting'

To think anyone knows Terry Pegula is laughable.  It appears he's a guy that keeps a low profile.  His daughter is one of the best women's tennis players in the world and to my knowledge I've never seen him.  Yet posters know what he's all about,  what he's thinking and how he feels about the Sabres?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

If you follow the Buffalo bills Instagram page, you’ll see Pegula in the locker room after big wins. When it comes to the Sabres you never hear from him. It’s odd. I always thought Terry was more of a Sabres fan and Kim was the Bills fan. Strange 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m sure change from savior to hated absentee owner must be quite perplexing for Pegs. The guy has dropped a but ton of money into the sabres over the last 13. He hired experienced guys, and they failed. Now he has inexperienced guys he knows and they aren’t getting it done fast enough. He plans a partnership with his wife and catastrophe strikes. I don’t see an uncaring man. I see a guy who has tried to do well by Buffalo and the Sabres are the one horror among many successes. I don’t minimize it but, assassinating his character because he feels the need to make money while owning sports teams is garbage. I’m a thousandaire, and I value money, watch what I spend. No doubt it is the same for him. How about we don’t assume that we know this guy just because he has some bucks. Personally I hate class warfare I hear on these pages sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, Cranky old man said:

I’m sure change from savior to hated absentee owner must be quite perplexing for Pegs. The guy has dropped a but ton of money into the sabres over the last 13. He hired experienced guys, and they failed. Now he has inexperienced guys he knows and they aren’t getting it done fast enough. He plans a partnership with his wife and catastrophe strikes. I don’t see an uncaring man. I see a guy who has tried to do well by Buffalo and the Sabres are the one horror among many successes. I don’t minimize it but, assassinating his character because he feels the need to make money while owning sports teams is garbage. I’m a thousandaire, and I value money, watch what I spend. No doubt it is the same for him. How about we don’t assume that we know this guy just because he has some bucks. Personally I hate class warfare I hear on these pages sometimes. 

Terry Pegula fired employees so he could keep up with maintenance on his yacht.