(OT) Common Sabrespace Typos and Poor Grammar That Drive You Mad

shrader

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

you'd've

@Taro T is the master of those compound contractions.

speaking of which: it's his trademark insistence on not using subject pronouns in his posts that does sorta bother me. 😁

Always felt like it showed lack of conviction.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I think of this place as more spoken English than written. The analogy would be we're sitting in a bar. That's why side topics and threads getting off track don't bother me much. It's how group conversations go.

I mean, I use gonna and wanna from time to time.

I've also noticed I've cut back on commas. Fat fingers and small keyboards it's one less thing to enter.

Same with question marks. How are ya

The meaning comes through.

Better to have too few commas than too many.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

Perhaps. But what I find being undudely is communicating so poorly that I have to waste time trying to discern the meaning.  I used Rob Ray as an example because we've all heard him on numerous occasions. I really appreciate his hockey knowledge and his ability to explain the action on the ice. But I dislike having to "code switch" into his vernacular.   You are what you eat. If all you listen to is bad grammar, then you're likely to pick that up. Where do you think Rob learned to speak the way that he did?   Anyhow, that's something I don't want to be undudely forced upon me, thank you very much.  I like English, not "dohngivafukish".

We are all products of our environment.  I travel a lot so tolerance is critical.  

3 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

But what I find being undudely is communicating so poorly that I have to waste time trying to discern the meaning.

On the other hand, you can make language unduly complicated.  I had to read that three times to understand what you meant.  Using fancy words does not make communication inherently better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

What I don't understand is how people who supposedly have eyes to read
and ears to listen can continue to make mistakes that the (once) majority
does not.

Rob Ray will say, "I had went to the bar" or "the puck had came out to
the point."  These should be: "I had gone to the bar" and "the puck
had come out to the point".  It's called the "Past Perfect".

I found these explanations online:

--
"There are four past tense forms in English:
Past simple:     I worked
Past continuous:     I was working
Past perfect:     I had worked
Past perfect continuous:     I had been working"
(https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/grammar/english-grammar-reference/past-tense)

---

and

---

The following is a list of Irregular Verbs in English:

Verb     Past Simple     Past Participle
==========================================
arise     arose     arisen
babysit     babysat     babysat
be     was / were    been
beat     beat     beaten
become     became    become
begin     began    begun
[snip]...
win     won     won
withdraw     withdrew     withdrawn
write     wrote     written
==========================================

* HANG - Hang has two different meanings. The first is "to attach (or hang) something in a high position" (e.g. on the wall or on a hook). In this case we use the above verbs Hang-Hung-Hung.

BUT when Hang means "to kill someone by putting a rope around someone's neck and leaving them in a high position without any support", we use different verbs: Hang-Hanged-hanged. This verb is typical of public executions in the past. (e.g. They hanged him in the main square.)

** LIE - Lie has two meanings. When it means "to put your body in a horizontal position" (normally on a bed) it uses the Lie-Lay-Lain verbs.

BUT it is regular Lie-Lied-Lied when it has the other meaning of "not to say the truth".  [Etienne - for 4 thousand years Indo-Europeans have been able to properly distinguish between these two usages, but Americans in the last 40 years have seemingly lost this ability.]

(https://www.grammar.cl/Past/Irregular_Verbs_List.htm)
-----

I'll mention another more common problem. The infinitive. This is the "to [verb]"
form, such as "I want *to* eat lunch" or "I will try *to* ignore bad grammar".
So many people say the illogical "I will try *and* do something"; this would
imply that you can read the future because you are starting that you *will*
in fact do something instead of just "trying" to do something.  

Here's another problem to mention.  It's not "where you *at*?".  It is
entirely sufficient, and always has been, to simply ask "where are you?".  
In general, it is poor English to end a sentence with a proposition.  
In this particular case, it is entirely unnecessary and only serves to
distinguish the talker/writer as poorly grounded in English *fundamentals*.

I could do this all day long.  

It's not "an invite", it's "an invitation".
It's not "he has high compete", it's "he has a high level of competition".

Blah blah blah.

Learn English, folks.  I did.

Sorry but the best part of this post is you put a lot of effort into it just to get one single thumbs down from @Doohickie😆

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

Yes. Guilty as charged.  In fact, I'm a conservative. That means that I see value in traditional things and try to "conserve" them.

I didn't mean you were culturally elite, I meant the joke was written by one.  Albeit making fun at the expense of what you are defending.  But that's a different debate.  I'm only trying to bring levity to grammatical errors about prepositions.  Not taking sides on whether or not it should be discussed on Sabre Space.  My wife teaches composition and I have to send her all my briefs going to Senior executives because I know she will catch any of my grammatical mistakes.   But my 100+ emails a day to others with whom I work could be speckled with errors and it doesn't bother me.   

19 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I didn't mean you were culturally elite, I meant the joke was written by one.  Albeit making fun at the expense of what you are defending.  But that's a different debate.  I'm only trying to bring levity to grammatical errors about prepositions.  Not taking sides on whether or not it should be discussed on Sabre Space.  My wife teaches composition and I have to send her all my briefs going to Senior executives because I know she will catch any of my grammatical mistakes.   But my 100+ emails a day to others with whom I work could be speckled with errors and it doesn't bother me.   

Just subscribe to Grammarly if it’s concerning.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Just subscribe to Grammarly if it’s concerning.

Or continue to have human to human interaction with your spouse. Either way works!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ... said:

You'll just have to connect the dots.

Could you imagine sitting down to what to what you think is going to be another thrilling connect the dots experience… and it winds up just being a straight line

49 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Leafs dart guy avatar.

I had some great private message conversations with him years back. I want to go back and see if they still exist. It was fun stuff about the youth hockey when he was growing up. 

The one I first heard used here that doesn’t bother me and that I have used in real world convos on the odd occasion is innit. And since I have heard it in a Guy Ritchie thing I am now positive its real english. So props to who was it nfreeman or perhaps doohickie ? I could be wrong. Thanks dudes.

9 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

you'd've

@Taro T is the master of those compound contractions.

speaking of which: it's his trademark insistence on not using subject pronouns in his posts that does sorta bother me. 😁

Oh God, do we have to start using our pronouns?

• Haha (+1) 1

I have a pronunciation beef that's developed over the past few years. What happened to the word important? Kids today say impor int. The T is gone. Same with ask but I won't go there and risk suspension during the playoffs. 🤣

5 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

I have a pronunciation beef that's developed over the past few years. What happened to the word important? Kids today say impor int. The T is gone. Same with ask but I won't go there and risk suspension during the playoffs. 🤣

That t just isn’t that imporint

9 hours ago, bunomatic said:

The one I first heard used here that doesn’t bother me and that I have used in real world convos on the odd occasion is innit. And since I have heard it in a Guy Ritchie thing I am now positive its real english. So props to who was it nfreeman or perhaps doohickie ? I could be wrong. Thanks dudes.

Oh, that's a purposeful colloquialism.  I didn't start it but I've perpetuated it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Here it's Tim Hor'ons. The kids can't be bothered.