Sabres Trade Kyle Okposo to Florida for Defenseman Calle Sjalin and a Conditional 7th Round Pick

Brawndo

45 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

This is bizzare. Is Adams supposed to get respect and credit for this?   I would respect him a lot more if he could hire better coaches, do things to improve the team after 4 years on the job, and maybe even keep our best players. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This is bizzare. Is Adams supposed to get respect and credit for this?   I would respect him a lot more if he could hire better coaches, do things to improve the team after 4 years on the job, and maybe even keep our best players. 

It's disconcerting to say the least. You don't want players to come to Buffalo because they're excited for the golden parachute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's disconcerting to say the least. You don't want players to come to Buffalo because they're excited for the golden parachute.

Why can't he be known for how good of a situation he put them in when they came to Buffalo?

"Hey, go to Buffalo. It'll suck, like, really suck,… but you don't have to try, and then when you leave, it'll be way better for you and worth all the pain."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

I'm cool. If I'm tense, it's because I hate this ***** day and have for over a decade. I don't believe that they are trying to win. I think Pegula sucks and I don't believe that he gives a ***** about the fans and is using the team as some sort of rich douche hobby for himself.

And if it's true that he doesn't like to be embarrassed, um,... too late.

Terry and his team are an embarrassment.

This sucks.

Schoop & Bulldog opened their show today to talk about how much they hate trade deadline day. And they riffed about how it is always such a letdown with years of 1) being sellers, and 2) not getting a real prize. Sure there were pickups (Zubrus, Boyes, Dominic Moore), but it was never a big fish and always deflating. That resonated with me. This sucks.  

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have to wonder if Reinhart wasn't being sarcastic and taking a sly shot at the team and Harrington missed it. 

There was a behind blue and gold YouTube where Reino called Kevyn after the trade to thank him for how his situation was handled.  Reino didn’t have to do that, but he did.  The sentiments were genuine. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

That is my opinion. What has he done to make this franchise better? If that wasn’t the plan he certainly abandoned the Sabres once the Bills took off 

Why are you able to say "that's my opinion" but shoot down mine?  

You have no proof he abandoned the Sabres.  He's actually done quite a bit to make the franchise better.  It hasn't ultimately worked but it's actually quite ridiculous to think he hasn't done anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 7+6=13 said:

You have no proof he abandoned the Sabres.  He's actually done quite a bit to make the franchise better.  It hasn't ultimately worked but it's actually quite ridiculous to think he hasn't done anything. 

Come on man.  The historical level of losing should be proof enough.  Look at the experience and quality of the leaders he selects to run the team.   Do you know how this franchise is viewed across the league? 

Maybe he hasn’t abandoned them, but he hasn't done anything to make this team better in any way.  Almost every decision he makes is worse than his prior decisions.  By far the worst owner that the Sabres ever had, and his record is the worst of any NHL owner ever. 

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Come on man.  The historical level of losing should be proof enough.  Look at the experience and quality of the leaders he selects to run the team.   Do you know how this franchise is viewed across the league? 

Maybe he hasn’t abandoned them, but he hasn't done anything to make this team better in any way.  Almost every decision he makes is worse than his prior decisions.  By far the worst owner that the Sabres ever had, and his record is the worst of any NHL owner ever. 

We just said the same exact thing,  yet you said cmon man.

• Haha (+1) 1

I didn't dislike Kyle Okposo, I think he really put his heart and soul into the team but this was a necessary move and gald to see him go to a contender. I also found it comical that the guy who has been here since he was drafted (Girgensons) was not dealt, Adams only said "there wasn't a right deal that made sense", so in his eyes keeping a player that will no longer be here at the end of the season makes sense? Unless we plan on re-signing him, wich again how does that make any sense?

I'm trying to pull my negativity back a notch (starting after this post lol) and just hope we accidentally find the right people to right the ship. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

4D chess. We’ll attract good players by them knowing that when we suck and decide to jettison them, they’ll be going to great teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have to wonder if Reinhart wasn't being sarcastic and taking a sly shot at the team and Harrington missed it. 

I do not believe so. Eichel went out of his way to praise Adams about how professional he was during trade process.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Penalty kill, forecheck, keep the puck in the other teams end while the scoring lines are resting on the bench, pot the occasional goal. This is the role of a fourth liner. Girgs is good in this role, he is not the reason for this teams struggles, I have no problem with him coming back next year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It is common decency that you treat your outgoing players with respect and try to get them to a good spot when your season is off the rails. 

What’s an uncommon decency in Buffalo? Ensuring your season doesn’t go off the rails in the first place. Enticing your best players to stay by surrounding them with the right pieces and coaches. Retaining salary and weaponizing all the cap space. Improving your own team in the near- and long-term. And sending Girgensons to a playoff team. Give that guy a taste of the playoffs. You can ALWAYS overpay him by $1M over any other suitor in UFA in the summer if your owner loves him so much. 

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Mr. Pegula's one glaring error was to listen to the idiot(s) that advised him to authorize the damn tank.  

The better approach would have been to do a rebuild.

That one fatal error has lead directly to where the team is now.  I know most say by now the tank does not matter.  I disagree with that.  With no tank there would be no GMTM no JBOT no Eich (very possibly Marner instead) ...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Mr. Pegula's one glaring error was to listen to the idiot(s) that advised him to authorize the damn tank.  

That one fatal error has lead directly to where the team is now.  I know most say by now the tank does not matter.  I disagree with that.  With no tank there would be no GMTM no JBOT no Eich (very possibly Marner instead) ...

You might be right as long as one of the idiots wasn't Darcy. There are certainly many prime suspects to choose from. The Pitt Gang. Black, Sawyer, Benson, Battista!

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You might be right as long as one of the idiots wasn't Darcy. There are certainly many prime suspects to choose from. The Pitt Gang. Black, Sawyer, Benson, Battista!

I don't know for sure, but I assume from his *it's up to Terry* comments back when Darcy and I have to say Ruff would have been dead set against the tank.  All the others listed had more influence and I suspect all of them were fully on the tank train.

27 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The tank was a terrible idea. But it worked. Both 2nd overalls have turned into top line players. The franchise was on the rebound until the JBott GM switch.

GMTM was a flawed character, but on the hockey personnel side the roster he constructed would’ve made the playoffs given another couple years (though he’d have had to move Kane or Bogo— which the right coaching staff and captain/team leaders can identify and request). Reversing course and going JBott/Housley d-corps approach specifically from that GMTM roster sent the franchise spiraling further out of control. And the coaching decisions and making personnel decisions based on post-season pressers where they’re upset didn’t help.

Edit: stay on target with the thread. And… Okposo fit that GMTM roster construction much better than Moulson did. 

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The Old Pitt gang were likely involved.  Didn’t Pitt tank for Mario?  They wanted McDavid. 

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Mr Pegula made more than one glaring error.   He followed the first glaring error with many more. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

Why are you able to say "that's my opinion" but shoot down mine?  

There is evidence that Pegula, purposely handcuffed GM’s in recent years from making this team better. 

you were the one that shot down my opinion first but believe what you’d like. It’s a free country… cheers 🍺

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The tank would have been fine with a better GM. Murray handled it horribly. His trade history is all the evidence we need to show how clueless he was. One different hire could have changed the entire course of history… but then again we’ve seen how bad they’ve been at hiring for the GM position. 

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I do not believe so. Eichel went out of his way to praise Adams about how professional he was during trade process.

That's not the same thing though. I'm sure he was professional, and all these guys say these things these days and if they aren't bright they get lines from their agents to repeat. That's the business. We are way past Bull Durham. But there is a difference between being professional and accommodating them with favourable landing spots. Reinhart could just as subtly been saying ANYWHERE was a favourable landing spot to being in Buffalo. 

9 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

There is evidence that Pegula, purposely handcuffed GM’s in recent years from making this team better. 

you were the one that shot down my opinion first but believe what you’d like. It’s a free country… cheers 🍺

You mean the ones he fired, yet were still under contract.

You responded to my post and said keep believing or some junk, so you definitely fired the first shot.   You're also free in this country to deny truths.