Sabres Trade Kyle Okposo to Florida for Defenseman Calle Sjalin and a Conditional 7th Round Pick

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

On a Stanley Cup hopeful. He has value.

And contrary to what people think, the Sabres got worse today, at least for the rest of this year.

With the islanders getting hot I think we are well and truly cooked. Moneypuck has us at 1.2%. Only Ottawa at 0.1% remains between us and the teams with 0%.

KO trade does reinforce that. 

It’s an abject fail of a season. Puts KA on the hot seat for next. I’m glad to see early signs point to him being proactive in switching some things up. It’s very needed and could bode well. I’m ready to shift my focus to next season and it seems the team is too. For better or worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Seeya.  Bye. Thanks for your time.

Our GM is an idiot.  What do you expect.  The defensemen is 24.  Wtf ever. Adams trade yourself dipshit.

What exactly would you have gotten for KO?

6 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Seeya.  Bye. Thanks for your time.

Our GM is an idiot.  What do you expect.  The defensemen is 24.  Wtf ever. Adams trade yourself dipshit.

Way to bring something positive and constructive for the conversation.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

Right? Haven't all the other threads talked about how we need to be patient with D-men because they don't really develop until they are 26-27? Perhaps there was sarcasm that we are not picking up? As in 24 makes him the "old man" on D?

1 minute ago, pastajoe said:

Those criticizing the return have to realize that it was done more as a gift to Okposo to have one last try at a Cup. He was never going to garner any worthwhile return.

Yeah they don't realize nobody wanted him. He was traded for nothing to probably one of the only playoff teams willing to give him a slot. 

8 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

What has been positive in 13 years.  Color me confused at a marginal at best body and a conditional 7th for at least a quality veteran pk option with 15 goal upside. 

Edited by Rasmus_

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Who would think losing a roster player doesn't hurt. Kyle's had a pretty good season.

There are folk.

He has.

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

With the islanders getting hot I think we are well and truly cooked. Moneypuck has us at 1.2%. Only Ottawa at 0.1% remains between us and the teams with 0%.

KO trade does reinforce that. 

It’s an abject fail of a season. Puts KA on the hot seat for next. I’m glad to see early signs point to him being proactive in switching some things up. It’s very needed and could bode well. I’m ready to shift my focus to next season and it seems the team is too. For better or worse. 

I'm at the point where I don't take any of these trades on good faith, anymore. I keep trying to see one thing that tells me that KA and TP are really trying to build a winner. I know they are trying to stay the youngest team in the league (now, by a lot), most likely to (a) have a built in excuse and (b) to have a low payroll.

BB-4 showing up in that Cancun Crew photo kinda raised my eyebrows. I can't get past this feeling that they are just keeping those here happy enough to not implode, while not having a real answer (or plan) for sucking.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

So we went from an offensive team that was scoring bigtime last year to supposedly a more defensive team and no doubt our GA is down but where has it got us? Adn now we've traded away our top scorer as well as Kyle who as 12 goals. I am glad for Kyle but as someone noted he should be thanking the Sabres and not the other way around. he made a boatload of money for basically nothing.

Oh and he is free to resign with us in the summer which woul dnot surprise me.  

Edited by sabrefanday1

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Yeah they don't realize nobody wanted him. He was traded for nothing to probably one of the only playoff teams willing to give him a slot. 

The most positive thing is that we add our names to the list of teams that don’t want him 

great guy

we need upgrades 

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

There are folk.

He has.

I'm at the point where I don't take any of these trades on good faith, anymore. I keep trying to see one thing that tells me that KA and TP are really trying to build a winner. I know they are trying to stay the youngest team in the league (now, by a lot), most likely to (a) have a built in excuse and (b) to have a low payroll.

BB-4 showing up in that Cancun Crew photo kinda raised my eyebrows. I can't get past this feeling that they are just keeping those here happy enough to not implode, while not having a real answer (or plan) for sucking.

It’s a worry.

I just sorta think the fact we’ve dealt away two mainstay forwards already and it’s not yet the summer may be a pretty significant sign MAYBE KA is actually looking to tweak the F group too along with the D tweaking we just saw. And this proactiveness seems to me positive/preferable in general. 

maybe we are finally willing to pay the price necessary to add the players we (at least feel) we need 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s a worry.

I just sorta think the fact we’ve dealt away two mainstay forwards already and it’s not yet the summer may be a pretty significant sign MAYBE KA is actually looking to tweak the F group too along with the D tweaking we just saw. And this proactiveness seems to me positive/preferable in general. 

maybe we are finally willing to pay the price necessary to add the players we (at least feel) we need 

Thing is will said players waive NTC/NMCs.

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s a worry.

Was Kyle coming back?

I heard that two or three of the other fellas in the room squeezed themselves into Kyles equipment back when it was shipped out. Hopefully its addition by subtraction. Good luck Kyle go get yourself a cup. Lord knows it wasn’t happening here.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Thing is will said players waive NTC/NMCs.

I’m not interested in setting up the excuses before the season even starts, no offence. It’s year 5.

Byram is a good player, right? Did he have a NMC? That it’s “most” players is a myth. That deal alone proves the good players are there: it just also proves what I was saying that you have to pay to get them 

Adams is responsible for fielding a playoff team next season. I don’t care about nmcs. It’s a league relative competition 

im tired of living in an even more undesired location than buffalo and watching them make the playoffs every year. There are threats of relocation and they are adding Tyler Toffoli at the deadline. We haven’t made it once since they returned to the league 

i might watch the jets come back, make the playoffs a bunch, and bump off to a new town again before the sabres get back to the playoffs lol 

come on. Just make the playoffs 

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Was Kyle coming back?

I don’t know him and I wouldn’t put it past the organization to try 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

I’m not interested in setting up the excuses before the season even starts, no offence. It’s year 5.

Byram is a good player, right? Did he have a NMC? That it’s “most” players is a myth. That deal alone proves the good players are there: it just also proves what I was saying that you have to pay to get them 

Adams is responsible for fielding a playoff contender next season. I don’t care about nmcs. It’s a league relative competition 

im tired of living in an even more undesired location than buffalo and watching them make the playoffs every year. There are threats of relocation and they are adding Tyler Toffoli at the deadline. We haven’t made it once since they returned to the league 

i might watch the jets come back, make the playoffs a bunch, and bump off to a new town again before the sabres get back to the playoffs lol 

come on. Just make the playoffs 

I wasn't making an excuse; just stating an annoying fact. Most players worth overpaying for and trading a Savoie/1st rounder/etc are protected barring them being within their ELC or having some struggles.

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I wasn't making an excuse; just stating an annoying fact. Most players worth overpaying for and trading a Savoie/1st rounder/etc are protected barring them being within their ELC or having some struggles.

Even if true, and I believe it to be a gross exaggeration, this doesn’t represent a considerable obstacle to finishing 16th out of 32

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Even if true, and I believe it to be a gross exaggeration, this doesn’t represent a considerable obstacle to finishing 16th out of 32

Let me tell you, going over Capfriendly; Top 6 forwards are very hard to find without some protection

44 minutes ago, SwampD said:

On a Stanley Cup hopeful. He has value.

And contrary to what people think, the Sabres got worse today, at least for the rest of this year.

Watching the forwards last night without Mitts and Tage got me thinking about how bad it's going to look subbing guys like Rousek and Jost in for guys who can hold their own against NHLers like Kyle and Gus.

Might get ugly.

34 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Those criticizing the return have to realize that it was done more as a gift to Okposo to have one last try at a Cup. He was never going to garner any worthwhile return.

31 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I doubt there were many contenders who wouldn't be interested in a 220-pound leader with 12 goals and experience on both special teams. It's the epitome of the kind of depth guy that gets traded at the deadline.

He was sent to the team he wanted to go to and feels gives him the best shot at winning a cup before he retires. Doesn't hurt that his short time there will be spent in nice weather, hanging out with his good buddy Sam.

This had nothing to do with shopping for the best return. Kyle called his shot and Adams got what he could. This was a reward.

• Like (+1) 1