I’m Sorry for Being So Negative!

GASabresIUFAN

It is hard not to be negative, in part because last year showed so much promise.  This year shows that sometimes, they can be very good.  Unfortunately, it has shown that they can be very bad.  And that makes their failures even more frustrating.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

3) Forwards - An outsider looking at the Sabres has to wondering how a team that played with such spirit last season; playing hard from the opening puck drop until the final horn blew, completely last their edge.  On paper this maybe the most talented roster the Sabres have fielded on offense since 2006.  There are 6 Sabres forwards capable of scoring 30+ goals a season in the NHL in TNT, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Quinn and JJP.  Mitts and Greenway have 20+ goal potential.  Benson’s upside is hard to gauge at this point, but 25g, 65 pts seems reasonable.  So where did the offense go?  Bad coaching? Injuries? Lack of effort? Why also won’t they commit to two-way play?  Once these talented guys figure out the effort questions and the 2-way play question, the sky is still the limit for this team.

It is a small sample size, but since the turn of the calendar to 2024, I think the forwards have gotten a LOT better in this regard.  Like a night and day difference.  From one of the worst teams I have ever seen, to recently playing above average in their own end.  Now if only they could have Tage catch fire like he did last year scoring....

If you want to be positive, there are things there to be positive about, just you have to look through the 'fog of the results' of the season to see them. Goaltending looks really good.  Overall Defensive play (D-men and forwards in their own zone) has taken a drastic turn up recently...and they are allowing less goals and shots overall compared to last year.  Quinn (when he plays) looks really good. Peterka looks REALLY good. Tuch has taken a step back due to injuries, but even with those injuries he has shown/proven he is more of a 20-25 (maybe 30) goal scorer for you than a guy who will only get in the teens.

To be a playoff team/force in the league, I think this team is a single LEGIT top 4 D-man (not a guy you have to convnice you is a top 4 guy, but a legit one), a season without major injury problems, and one more player developing into a 'feared' nhl level goal scorer that isn't there yet. That along with every single game the young D-corp geting more experience is all I think this team may need. I don't think you need to 'blow up the roster', you don't need to fire Adams and the entire coaching staff...etc.  MAYBE trading some prospects for a top 9 guy who is 'hard to pay against' would help too, but there is a lot here to work with.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What makes me so frustrated is how different the management of the two Pegula teams are.

Good post @GASabresIUFAN…

Never saw you as negative… Just an invested and frustrated Sabres fan… You have good observations and ideas…

Couldn’t agree with you more about the difference between Beane and Adams… 

Beane is a calculated risk-taker… Adams is calculated and risk averse… if you get my meaning.

Keep posting.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Good post @GASabresIUFAN…

Never saw you as negative… Just an invested and frustrated Sabres fan… You have good observations and ideas…

Couldn’t agree with you more about the difference between Beane and Adams… 

Beane is a calculated risk-taker… Adams is calculated and risk averse… if you get my meaning.

Keep posting.

Not so sure its risk adverse is that I think Beane has figured out how and what pieces can work together v.  Adams may be still learning...

ON the Adams vs Beane thing....Maybe the moves they make, not only are the run by Pegula, but they are dependant on where they are/think they are with the team.

They both "cleaned out the old core". Once the Bills had Allen, I'm going to 'assume' they knew he would be good a little sooner than we did (they see him in practice, they see how he quickly he picks up on things, etc"  So once they had Allen, Beane was given the green light to start taking those risks......

On the SABRES however, Pegula was burned many times with 'false starts".  Erhoff and Leino would get to be more than just a 'playoff team'.  Eichel and Reinhart would turn the team around right away. Trading futures for Leino and Kane would put them on the right path....there are many other things.  It could just be that Pegula is WILLING to allow adams to make those changes, but he wants to see (or be convinced) that this team is READY for major moves before he allows it.

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Show me a positive message board with a losing team miles from the playoffs. It doesn't exist. We all vent. 

True and the team has given us ample ammo to vent about.  

There are positives that bode well for the future.

1. UPL - This is the biggest shock.  I honestly thought he was going to play himself out of the NHL and back to Europe.  Outside of yesterday, he has looked like a completely different goalie.  If Adams says he saw this coming he’s not telling the truth.  If Marty Biron, a good NHL goalie and a very good analyst, didn’t see this coming, no way Adams did.

The UPL development has allowed Levi to develop properly in Rochester and turned goaltending from a weakness to a strength.

2.  JJP - Quinn’s injury put more pressure on JJP to step up and boy has he.  Outside of Mitts, he has been the best Sabres forward all season.  His play at Worlds last year hinted that this was coming.  The biggest surprise is his scoring.  I thought of him as a Mitts type player; pass first, shoot second, but he is showing much more scoring skill than anticipated.  I’m looking forward to seeing what is the next step up for him.

3.  Casey - He has been improving slowly ever season since being sent to Rochester and the departure of RK.  He had already proven he could play create for linemates, play up and down the lineup, play a two-way game and be strong along the boards.  Out of necessity he has stepped up this season, improving his center play and goal scoring.  He is now the most complete Sabre forward with JJP hot on his tail.  

4. Greenway - The big engine that could.  As the season has progressed so has Jordan.  He is now bringing the offense to go with physical play.  He should be a fixture in the top 9 going forward.  

5. Clifton - To say he was terrible to start the season would be an understatement.  However, over the last 3 months it would be hard to argue against him being our 2nd or 3rd best D.  He is as physical as advertised, but his offense and in zone play have really improved. 

6. Ryan Johnson - The rookie D has been mostly solid and has earned his PT.  He has mostly sound defensively and continues to get more involved offensively.  He is an excellent skater and I’m looking forward to seeing how he develops.  Can he be a top 4 D for us?

7. Benson - I still disagree with keeping him this season.  His lack of O production isn’t really a surprise given his size, age and inexperience.  That said his hockey IQ is off the charts as is his heart and effort.  If we could put his mind and heart into Thompson or Cozens they would literally be unstoppable.  After an off-season of working in the weight room and watching film, don’t be surprised if he blossoms into a 20-25 goal weapon next season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

How positive or negative we are as fans also has to do with what type of fans of the team we are.

There are some people that want to win.  Do what it takes to be one of the top teams.  Someone isn't doing the job, make a change.  Over a decade without playoffs means that more drastic changes have to be made. A lot (most) of us are like that.

Then there are others, who view the Sabres as just entertainment. (I used to be the above, now I've become one of these.)  I WANT them to win of course, but just entertain me. Score some goals. Win more than you lose.  Thats all I want now.  Honestly I sometimes like the discussion about the team on these forums more than liking the games, and I'm OK with that.

Some people don't understand this, and that is OK....but for me (and a FEW others), we can see the positives more becasue we have lower expectations. We WANT a cup, we WANT them to be the best team in the league, but we don't EXPECT that, we just expect to be entertained.  Sometimes I think I might get MORE frustrated than those with higher expectations..I think...I have lower expecations, and you STILL can't do that...but in the end, they lose, I post on here, but I look forward to the next game.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

I am at a point where I was out last Saturday night and 2 ladies were at a high top with Sabres hats. I asked them if they wanted to go to the Vegas game, center ice lower level on the aisle. 

They said yes and I ditched the tickets without hesitation knowing they would at least appreciate them. It’s either that or getting $70 per on stubhub. That is how far I have fallen…

4 hours ago, Weave said:

You were always optimistic beyond reasonable before.  This is balance, and was inevitable.

Possibly overly optimistic about certain players (Mule, JJP, Mitts), but I was correctly harsh on both the RK hire and the Adams hire.  I was also wrong on UPL and TNT.  

Where I was optimistic was on the team’s playoff chances the last two years. In each off-season thread for the last two years, I thought adding proven goaltending and two good defensemen would get us into the playoffs.  This year we finally got some D (Clifton, EJ, and Ryan J) and better goaltending (UPL) but it hasn’t been enough.  I honestly didn't realize how bad the coaching was last season as the team has played extremely hard for DG since he took over, but apparently, that message has grown stale.  Honestly, the DG situation reminds me of Ted Nolan.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Good post. 

Adams plan is in motion.    It's tough to be patient considering the past 13 years, but he's building the team the right way.    

This season has been a painful lesson for this young squad.    After a red hot second half last season, some regression was expected... add in some key injuries plus a young over-confident roster.... and we end up here.

Playoffs are never a guarantee, it requires a commitment and discipline both on and off the ice over the course of the entire season, not just in spurts.    These kids are learning that lesson, but as fans of this franchise it's painful and frustrating after 13 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My friend @Taro T once pointed out to me that I was once the most positive voices on the board and that over the last few years I’ve become quite negative.  For that I apologize.  I am not, in general, a negative person.  In fact, I am quite the opposite.  

However I looked at my posts recently and I have let my frustration and anger with Adams and the Sabres grow to the point that it’s ruined my enjoyment of watching the team.  Not that the frustration is misplaced.  However, it’s ruined the game for me, so it’s time to take a step back.  Time to concentrate on the Braves and fantasy baseball.

What makes me so frustrated is how different the management of the two Pegula teams are. Beane fires Dorsey and then trades for Douglas.  He swings for the fences on occasion with the Diggs trade and with Von Miller (he missed here). He moves up and down the draft to get the players and assets he needs.  He is proactive with his team and I have no doubt in my mind is that he’ll find a way out of the cap issues this season and Bills will be younger and probably better next year.  The Bills missed the playoffs from 2000-2016 (17 straight seasons).  Beane and McDermott arrive, they make the playoffs year 1 and 5 of 6 seasons with 4 straight division championships. 

I compare that to Adams who is reactive, takes little to no risk, and therefore has nothing to show for his efforts but his job.  Like Beane, he correctly cleaned out the old core.  Like Beane he drafted well, but that’s where the comparison ends.  Since the clean-out, he hasn’t made one proactive move, and his reactive moves have born little to no fruit.   If Beane was the Sabres GM.  He would have acquired a quality goaltender as soon as Ullmark walked.  He would have added defense in trade last season as soon as we were down 2-3 starters on D and he’d have fired the assist coach in charge of our special teams this year.  

All that said, the Sabres have a ton of assets to work with, but it’s time for Adams to step up and learn from Beane.  This will be the 13th season without playoffs in a league where 50% of the teams make the playoffs every year.  If there is a 14th year, Adams will be gone.  

So taking a step back and just looking at the organization there are things I really like still.

1) Goaltending - a source of weakness since Ullmark left, could be a strength as early as next season, assuming UPL can continue to perform at this year’s level and Levi can make the jump back to the NHL.  He is currently playing very well at Rochester.

2) Defense - Dahlin is currently the only top 4 D on this roster.  R Johnson maybe that someday, but that someday is not today.  Clifton, Samuelsson, and Jokiharju are all 3rd pairing guys.  Power, although, young and talented and being paid to be a top 4 D, isn’t there yet either.  As a unit there are just ok.  I think the pieces will fit better if Joki is traded and upgrade by a legit top 4 RHD.  The good news is that Mule is better than he played this year, Clifton has been good in 2024 and Power and R Johnson have more to give. The question is when (if?) they reach their potential.  

3) Forwards - An outsider looking at the Sabres has to wondering how a team that played with such spirit last season; playing hard from the opening puck drop until the final horn blew, completely last their edge.  On paper this maybe the most talented roster the Sabres have fielded on offense since 2006.  There are 6 Sabres forwards capable of scoring 30+ goals a season in the NHL in TNT, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Quinn and JJP.  Mitts and Greenway have 20+ goal potential.  Benson’s upside is hard to gauge at this point, but 25g, 65 pts seems reasonable.  So where did the offense go?  Bad coaching? Injuries? Lack of effort? Why also won’t they commit to two-way play?  Once these talented guys figure out the effort questions and the 2-way play question, the sky is still the limit for this team.

4) The pipeline.  On paper we have one of the deepest pipelines in the NHL.  We have 4-5 top notch forwards (even without Benson) and at least 2-4 future NHL D headlines by Strbak and Novikov (not including R Johnson).  We also have a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.  

Honestly, the roster is close to being a playoff roster. If Adams brings back the entire top 9 I outlined above, I doubt we’d have much room to complain based on talent. But the question for me is what would Beane do if he were the Sabres GM.  First, he’d probably fire the entire coaching staff.  He’d certainly would get rid of the assistants except Bales who has done a good job, especially with UPL.  Second, he’d probably find a way to trade Skinner to save the cap and change locker-room.  He made similar moves when he arrived with Bills.  He would also dump all ineffective players including KO, Z, Krebs, Bryson etc… Third, he’d trade this year’s no. 1 pick (and other assets) for the proven D he needs (like he did for Diggs).  I can then see him trading our 2nd rd pick and other picks to move up in the draft to grab a player he likes who has slipped on draft day like Kincaid last year.  Lastly, he’d probably add a veteran goalie as insurance if UPL back slides or Levi isn’t ready.  Beane likes to pair rookies in rotation with vets. This is easier in the NFL, but works with goalies as well since Levi can easily bec] returned to Rochester if he isn’t ready even next season.

1)

This is a great post.  You are one of the best posters here so don't worry about it. 

I find myself getting too riled by all that has happened this year and that probably comes off as negative too.  Especially frustrating when I can see it coming, and then watch it happen, and observe the organization say and do nothing.  

I had high hopes, I should have known that standing pat plus all those young players that just had career years was a recipe for a decline this season.  

I just posted in another thread that I think the slow roll rebuild is going to continue for awhile.   That said, lots of rebuilds have a good year, followed by regression, and then make a jump.   I just hope we have enough internal leadership, and enough accountability, to make it happen finally.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

No need to apologize.  It’s bad enough enduring the playoff failures this franchise has put us through over years, but the last 13 years are simply inexcusable.  There are zero positives to lean on.  We are left with the most embarrassing franchise in the history of the NHL and easily top 5 of any of the major sports ever.  It’s impossible NOT to be negative.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My friend @Taro T once pointed out to me that I was once one of the most positive voices on the board and that over the last few years, I’ve become quite negative.  For that, I apologize.  I am not, in general, a negative person.  I am quite the opposite.  

However I looked at my posts recently and I have let my frustration and anger with Adams and the Sabres grow to the point that it’s ruined my enjoyment of watching the team.  Not that the frustration is misplaced.  However, it’s ruined the game for me, so it’s time to take a step back.  Time to concentrate on the Braves and fantasy baseball.

What makes me so frustrated is how different the management of the two Pegula teams are. Beane fires Dorsey and then trades for Douglas.  He swings for the fences on occasion with the Diggs trade and with Von Miller (he missed here). He moves up and down the draft to get the players and assets he needs.  He is proactive with his team and I have no doubt in my mind is that he’ll find a way out of the cap issues this season and Bills will be younger and probably better next year.  The Bills missed the playoffs from 2000-2016 (17 straight seasons).  Beane and McDermott arrive, and they make the playoffs in year 1 and 5 of 6 seasons with 4 straight division championships. 

I compare that to Adams who is reactive, takes little to no risk, and therefore has nothing to show for his efforts but his job.  Like Beane, he correctly cleaned out the old core.  Like Beane he drafted well, but that’s where the comparison ends.  Since the clean-out, he hasn’t made one proactive move, and his reactive moves have borne little to no fruit.   If Beane was the Sabres GM.  He would have acquired a quality goaltender as soon as Ullmark walked.  He would have added defense in trade last season as soon as we were down 2-3 starters on D and he’d have fired the assist coach in charge of our special teams this year.  

All that said, the Sabres have a ton of assets to work with, but it’s time for Adams to step up and learn from Beane.  This will be the 13th season without playoffs in a league where 50% of the teams make the playoffs every year.  If there is a 14th year, Adams will be gone.  

So taking a step back and just looking at the organization there are things I like still.

1) Goaltending - a source of weakness since Ullmark left, could be a strength as early as next season, assuming UPL can continue to perform at this year’s level and Levi can make the jump back to the NHL.  He is currently playing very well at Rochester.

2) Defense - Dahlin is currently the only top 4 D on this roster.  R Johnson may be that someday, but that someday is not today.  Clifton, Samuelsson, and Jokiharju are all 3rd pairing guys.  Power, although, young and talented and being paid to be a top 4 D, isn’t there yet either.  As a unit, they are just ok.  I think the pieces will fit better if Joki is traded and upgrade by a legit top 4 RHD.  The good news is that Mule is better than he played this year, Clifton has been good in 2024 and Power and R Johnson have more to give. The question is when (if?) they reach their potential.  

3) Forwards - An outsider looking at the Sabres has to wonder how a team that played with such spirit last season; playing hard from the opening puck drop until the final horn blew, completely lost their edge.  On paper this may be the most talented roster the Sabres have fielded on offense since 2006.  There are 6 Sabres forwards capable of scoring 30+ goals a season in the NHL in TNT, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Quinn, and JJP.  Mitts and Greenway have 20+ goal potential.  Benson’s upside is hard to gauge at this point, but 25g, 65 pts seems reasonable.  So where did the offense go?  Bad coaching? Injuries? Lack of effort? Why also won’t they commit to two-way play?  Once these talented guys figure out the effort questions and the 2-way play question, the sky is still the limit for this team.

4) The pipeline.  On paper, we have one of the deepest pipelines in the NHL.  We have 4-5 top-notch forwards (even without Benson) and at least 2-4 future NHL D headlines by Strbak and Novikov (not including R Johnson).  We also have a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.  

Honestly, the roster is close to being a playoff roster. If Adams brings back the entire top 9 I outlined above, I doubt we’d have much room to complain based on talent. But the question for me is what would Beane do if he were the Sabres' GM.  First, he’d probably fire the entire coaching staff.  He certainly would get rid of the assistants except Bales who has done a good job, especially with UPL.  Second, he’d probably find a way to trade Skinner to save the cap and change locker room.  He made similar moves when he arrived with Bills.  He would also dump all ineffective players including KO, Z, Krebs, Bryson etc… Third, he’d trade this year’s no. 1 pick (and other assets) for the proven D he needs (like he did for Diggs).  I can then see him trading our 2nd rd pick and other picks to move up in the draft to grab a player he likes who has slipped on draft day like Kincaid last year.  Lastly, he’d probably add a veteran goalie as insurance if UPL backslides or Levi isn’t ready.  Beane likes to pair rookies in rotation with vets. This is easier in the NFL but works with goalies as well since Levi can easily be returned to Rochester if he isn’t ready even next season.

I value your insights and emotions, positive or negative. As regards your own emotional well being, and the empathy you display, thank you for putting out an apology.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My friend @Taro T once pointed out to me that I was once the most positive voices on the board and that over the last few years I’ve become quite negative.  For that I apologize.  I am not, in general, a negative person.  In fact, I am quite the opposite.  

What makes me so frustrated is how different the management of the two Pegula teams are. Beane fires Dorsey and then trades for Douglas.  He swings for the fences on occasion with the Diggs trade and with Von Miller (he missed here). He moves up and down the draft to get the players and assets he needs.  He is proactive with his team and I have no doubt in my mind is that he’ll find a way out of the cap issues this season and Bills will be younger and probably better next year.  The Bills missed the playoffs from 2000-2016 (17 straight seasons).  Beane and McDermott arrive, they make the playoffs year 1 and 5 of 6 seasons with 4 straight division championships. 

I compare that to Adams who is reactive, takes little to no risk, and therefore has nothing to show for his efforts but his job.  Like Beane, he correctly cleaned out the old core.  Like Beane he drafted well, but that’s where the comparison ends.  Since the clean-out, he hasn’t made one proactive move, and his reactive moves have born little to no fruit.   If Beane was the Sabres GM.  He would have acquired a quality goaltender as soon as Ullmark walked.  He would have added defense in trade last season as soon as we were down 2-3 starters on D and he’d have fired the assist coach in charge of our special teams this year.  

So taking a step back and just looking at the organization there are things I really like still.

2) Defense - Dahlin is currently the only top 4 D on this roster.  R Johnson maybe that someday, but that someday is not today.  Clifton, Samuelsson, and Jokiharju are all 3rd pairing guys.  Power, although, young and talented and being paid to be a top 4 D, isn’t there yet either.  As a unit there are just ok.  I think the pieces will fit better if Joki is traded and upgrade by a legit top 4 RHD.  The good news is that Mule is better than he played this year, Clifton has been good in 2024 and Power and R Johnson have more to give. The question is when (if?) they reach their potential.  

4) The pipeline.  On paper we have one of the deepest pipelines in the NHL.  We have 4-5 top notch forwards (even without Benson) and at least 2-4 future NHL D headlines by Strbak and Novikov (not including R Johnson).  We also have a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.  

Honestly, the roster is close to being a playoff roster. If Adams brings back the entire top 9 I outlined above, I doubt we’d have much room to complain based on talent. But the question for me is what would Beane do if he were the Sabres GM.  First, he’d probably fire the entire coaching staff.  He’d certainly would get rid of the assistants except Bales who has done a good job, especially with UPL.  Second, he’d probably find a way to trade Skinner to save the cap and change locker-room.  He made similar moves when he arrived with Bills.  He would also dump all ineffective players including KO, Z, Krebs, Bryson etc… Third, he’d trade this year’s no. 1 pick (and other assets) for the proven D he needs (like he did for Diggs).  I can then see him trading our 2nd rd pick and other picks to move up in the draft to grab a player he likes who has slipped on draft day like Kincaid last year.  Lastly, he’d probably add a veteran goalie as insurance if UPL back slides or Levi isn’t ready.  Beane likes to pair rookies in rotation with vets. This is easier in the NFL, but works with goalies as well since Levi can easily bec] returned to Rochester if he isn’t ready even next season.

1)

No, you don't get off that easy.  You and @Thorny have dragged me into the depths of negativity.  You can't just apologize and make me feel better about things.  😉

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

No, you don't get off that easy.  You and @Thorny have dragged me into the depths of negativity.  You can't just apologize and make me feel better about things.  😉

I've decided to relax about the games.  I'm not going to worry about the outcome because this season is lost.  Instead, I'm going to focus on which players, like Mitts, UPL, and JJP are working to get better and make the team better and hope (there is that dangerous word) that Adams gets a clue and sees that as well.  He claims it's about who wants to be here.  Right now that looks like a very short list.  

The other good news is baseball season is about to start, the NHL trade deadline is coming and so is the NFL draft.  Lots of places to look for positives.  The Amerks are in the playoff chase and Levi is playing well.  Maybe the Amerks make a run and give us something to root for and maybe some of our key prospects like Kulich, Levi, and Rosen help fuel that run.  

I'm applying an attitude from playing golf for the remainder of the hockey season.  I look at golf as 18 opportunities to excel.  I don't care about my final score.  My goal is to try to score a bogey or better on every hole and if not, not.  If I hit my drive into the woods, drop finish the hole and move on to the next hole.  This way, I enjoy myself and if I have a bridie and a few pars, I feel it's been worth playing.   Win or lose at this point, I just want the Sabres to play hard and show the fans they care about getting better.  I want UPL to solidify his hold as the No. 1 goalie, and I want the guys I mentioned up thread to continue to play well.  I'd also like to see some of the kids get some games here and there.  

• Like (+1) 2

The Sabres could make the 1985 Oilers roster miss the playoffs….

It runs in the franchise now. This is the club where careers go to die.

A club where your only hope is escape, or a paycheck so huge, you can swallow your ambitions as an athlete, and be a “loser for hire”.