GDT / Buffalo Sabres @ Minnasota Wild Sat 5pm MSG, ESPN+ WGR

Shoot da Puck

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Tuch standing to the side screams that he is unwilling to me.  Watch on the PP, he stands in front but when the shot is about to be taken he drifts away and gives the goalie a clear view 

god I miss Samson, not only would take a beating but his hand / eye coordination is exceptional 

Maybe, I didnt really notice it much last season because we were scoring so much it didn't seem to matter.

1 hour ago, Mr Peabody said:

I remember Samson to be a lot like you described Tuch.  Drive byes but not standing their ground hence putting Risto in front on ppps.  Nothing against Sam put he didn’t have the strength or bulk to hold his own. 

Are you sure we are talking about the same player ?  

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Because we dont have that many types of players... The only ones that I see in front of the net are Greenway and benson consistently, the past few games Okposo is finally doing that also but other than those players I don't see it. Tuch sometimes stand off to the side of the net which to me screams technique/coaching. Teach these guys how to do the little things right, that's on this entire coaching staff.

Well if we don't have that many of those type that's on management. I think there are guys on the roster who could be that though with the right coaching and  - this is the important part - if they knew they had a roster that would back them up if things got heavy. I'm watching this NJ Philly outdoor game (good game) and I see how big and mean Konecny is playing now and it's very effective. I think this is because of Hathaway and DesLauriers being on the roster. You add that snarl and then everybody else feels just a little bit bigger and tougher as well. That's what we need to add. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Are you sure we are talking about the same player ?  

Well I am 70 yrs old so my memory may not be the best!  However I remember Sam being more like Benson and Skinner as far as being around the net.  Good stick and in the area,  but not a chaos creator or a solid screen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’ve never blocked anyone here and I’ve never blocked anyone on Twitter. It’s personal preference but Echo Chambers are too scary an alternative 

On the other hand, disagreements with others here have resulted in apparent "abusive behavior" on my part and I'd rather filter someone out of my feed for a time than get suspended.

Again.

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Tuch standing to the side screams that he is unwilling to me.  Watch on the PP, he stands in front but when the shot is about to be taken he drifts away and gives the goalie a clear view 

god I miss Samson, not only would take a beating but his hand / eye coordination is exceptional 

Tuch sucks this year... underachiever.

With his skill set, he should be a 30g scorer at worst.

• Agree 1

I'll admit, I popped this on my phone with about 6 minutes left in the game... Up until they tied it, it wasn't looking very good.. Sloppy passes, no one at the net, can't keep it in at the blue line. I don't know what the rest of the game looked like. 

In OT, they were fine... I also hate 3 on 3 and find it hard to judge anything in OT fairly (except maybe bad coaching)

Make no mistake, they won and it was kind of exciting, but this is a bad team. Nothing about this win made me feel good or like we turned any sort of corner. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Joki is a good player 

He is Ok. My problem with him is the roster make up.   We have Dahlin, Power and R Johnson.  Joki is not a complementary player to any of them, he is similar. 

I want a big, tough, stay at home solid guy - like Samuelsson should be but isn’t.  We get that guy then Joki is expendable. 

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone listen to the postgame? I'm not sure how it came across live, but I just listened to the postgame podcast while working out and it was the worst chunk of radio I've ever heard. Half of it was too quiet to even hear and Derek Kramer had many repeated moments of extended dead air. 

Anyone notice the same?

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

He is Ok. My problem with him is the roster make up.   We have Dahlin, Power and R Johnson.  Joki is not a complementary player to any of them, he is similar. 

I want a big, tough, stay at home solid guy - like Samuelsson should be but isn’t.  We get that guy then Joki is expendable. 

I'm not saying you are wrong on your assessment on Joki but I have a different perspective on him as a player. I do see him as a complementary player and not as a primary player as a defenseman. Whether as a first, second or even a third pairing player, he is the B/#2 player in the pairing. He's not a banger (as you noted) but on a team that wants to emphasize pace and puck movement, he fits in. I see Ryan Johnson in the same type of role. He can play on any of the top pairings, but his style of play leads him to be the B/#2 player in the pairings. In comparison, there is no question that both Dahlin and Power are A/#1 players in the pairings that they are placed on. 

• Agree 1

I like Greenway-Mitts-Cozens. Lots of size and ability to win along the boards. Greenway goes to the net and Cozens/Mitts have good enough shots to keep a goalie honest. I don't necessarily want Greenway on a top line (because this season whichever line Mitts is on is the top line), but unless you put Tuch or Quinn there, it's not improving.

What I don't know yet is how I feel about JJP with Krebs and Benson. I need to see a few more games of them together. I'd rather see JJP-Krebs-Tuch so at least someone can win along the boards. Then, put Benson with the two struggling guys and give them limited/protected/o-zone only draws for a while until they healed up from whatever is ailing them.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I like Greenway-Mitts-Cozens. Lots of size and ability to win along the boards. Greenway goes to the net and Cozens/Mitts have good enough shots to keep a goalie honest. I don't necessarily want Greenway on a top line (because this season whichever line Mitts is on is the top line), but unless you put Tuch or Quinn there, it's not improving.

What I don't know yet is how I feel about JJP with Krebs and Benson. I need to see a few more games of them together. I'd rather see JJP-Krebs-Tuch so at least someone can win along the boards. Then, put Benson with the two struggling guys and give them limited/protected/o-zone only draws for a while until they healed up from whatever is ailing them.

Cozens works better when he plays with a winger's mindset. Straightforward, North-South drive to the net with speed. When he plays center he has a tendency of trying to over do it unless Quinn is there. Quinn seems to take the role of playmaker and thus Cozens plays far better because he adopts a more North-South style to fill in the cracks of Quinn and Peterka's East-West games

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Anyone listen to the postgame? I'm not sure how it came across live, but I just listened to the postgame podcast while working out and it was the worst chunk of radio I've ever heard. Half of it was too quiet to even hear and Derek Kramer had many repeated moments of extended dead air. 

Anyone notice the same?

Yeah. I had to listen. I won't rip Derek. The regular host wasn't there so maybe he got thrown to the wolves. He wasn't bad but you could hear the nerves. Dead air, even a few seconds, is brutal. I kept fiddling with the radio.

Beyond that the production value of the broadcast is less than stellar. It all goes back to trying to put TV on the radio.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Sounds like you are describing Erik Johnson 

“Don’t know what you got till it’s gone…” 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Yeah. I had to listen. I won't rip Derek. The regular host wasn't there so maybe he got thrown to the wolves. He wasn't bad but you could hear the nerves. Dead air, even a few seconds, is brutal. I kept fiddling with the radio.

Beyond that the production value of the broadcast is less than stellar. It all goes back to trying to put TV on the radio.

The dead air was bad... And I agree it seemed like he was put in there on short notice without any prep time or support from colleagues.

The worst part though was the interviews were barely audible, even with my earbuds on full. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.