GDT / Buffalo Sabres @ Minnasota Wild Sat 5pm MSG, ESPN+ WGR

Shoot da Puck

vsar4rgi7mibxq2d26nv.thumb.png.74ae6b3e8be0ca68ffcbf766e15eba83.png

By Jourdon LaBarber

@jourdonlabarber Sabres.com

9:19 AM

Buffalo Sabres (23-26-4) at Minnesota Wild (25-23-5)

Saturday, February 17 at 5 p.m.

The Sabres travel to Minnesota to take on the Wild after concluding a four-game homestand with a 4-0 loss to Florida on Thursday. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen is expected to start in goal after missing the last game with a lower-body injury.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/how-to-watch-buffalo-sabres-minnesota-wild-february-17-2024

Early evening hockey boys!  I have been AWOL, watching games in arrears.

I hope to be live and local on the GDT

....yes, that MEMES I will be watching what you post.....fair warning. 

image.png.039e73d684b675a4afdb238939d0752f.png@ image.png.dd851ad33ec126d4945a5e29cdc55d14.png

#LETSGOBUFFALO

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

Early evening hockey boys!  I have been AWOL, watching games in arrears.

I hope to be live and local on the GDT

....yes, that MEMES I will be watching what you post.....fair warning. 

image.png.039e73d684b675a4afdb238939d0752f.png@ image.png.dd851ad33ec126d4945a5e29cdc55d14.png

#LETSGOBUFFALO

arrears?  

bending over family guy GIF

• Haha (+1) 3

Part of me wishes we got a coaching change purely for the feeling we had something to watch for, coming down the stretch here: I’m not sure that 3.4% playoffs odds mark is going to do it for much longer. Otherwise, any sort of potential uptick in play is going to being heavily reminiscent of “garbage time yardage” leaving us basically with a count down to this summer to see what Adams can do to shift the roster.

I’m hoping it’s not tumbleweeds until the excitement of game 1 next season 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Part of me wishes we got a coaching change purely for the feeling we had something to watch for, coming down the stretch here: I’m not sure that 3.4% playoffs odds mark is going to do it for much longer. Otherwise, any sort of potential uptick in play is going to being heavily reminiscent of “garbage time yardage” leaving us basically with a count down to this summer to see what Adams can do to shift the roster.

The Wild were 5-10-4 under Dean Evason this season; 20-13-1 since Hynes took over. The Wilds' coaching change might not be enough and may have been too late, but at least their GM tried. (They're also still in cap hell this year and next with $14M going to Parise/Suter.)

They're riding a four-game win streak and have been slowly clawing their way into playoff "in the hunt" status (5 points back). For them, this is an easy victory against a garbage team you should beat (just like the Panthers did). Boldy is on fire as of late. They're easily coping without their captain (Spurgeon [LTIR]) because Faber has been a rookie revelation. Foligno is on IR and will miss today's game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I missed the last two games. I will be watching this one.  Hoping for a win and better play.  I would hate to see them give up.  

Sabres are missing Power and Samuelsson

North Stars missing Spurgeon and Filigno 

Sabre are actually taller and heavier on average.  North Stars are 4 years older on average (as usual).  

We are 10 point out of a WC, they are 5 point out of a WC. 

Lets see who comes to play.  

When I look at the team stats I can only think that if we fixed the power play we could be in the race and maybe even holding a spot right now.  Just an average PP and we might have  4 or 5  more wins.  Yet, they continue to let Matty Ellis run the PP.   The definition of insanity ... 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Just going to steal one of Rayzor's bits here...   

Any Opponent's Keys to the Game Against the Sabres:

1. 1st period forecheck! From the start, attack them relentlessly in their own zone. They're really young and if you pressure them, they'll turn it over. (Ray says this at least 4x/month for the Sabres' own keys.)

2. Take away time and space from TNT and Skinner, but otherwise leave them alone. Don't hit them, ignore any whining from Skinner, and do nothing after the whistle. Lull them to sleep. But as soon as they get the puck on their stick, get on them quickly and activate your stick. They'll peel away from the pressure and disappear quietly from the stat sheet.

3. Average goaltending! That's all you need. As long as your goaltending doesn't implode, you'll find yourself up 2-0 and then can trap the hell out of the remainder of the game and regain/conserve the energy you used in the aggressive forecheck of the 1st period.

Give 20 minutes of good hockey from the start, and you've got the W.

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Just going to steal one of Rayzor's bits here...   

Any Opponent's Keys to the Game Against the Sabres:

1. 1st period forecheck! From the start, attack them relentlessly in their own zone. They're really young and if you pressure them, they'll turn it over. (Ray says this at least 4x/month for the Sabres' own keys.)

2. Take away time and space from TNT and Skinner, but otherwise leave them alone. Don't hit them, ignore any whining from Skinner, and do nothing after the whistle. Lull them to sleep. But as soon as they get the puck on their stick, get on them quickly and activate your stick. They'll peel away from the pressure and disappear quietly from the stat sheet.

3. Average goaltending! That's all you need. As long as your goaltending doesn't implode, you'll find yourself up 2-0 and then can trap the hell out of the remainder of the game and regain/conserve the energy you used in the aggressive forecheck of the 1st period.

Give 20 minutes of good hockey from the start, and you've got the W.

Sad but true

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.