GDT: Lightning @ Sabres - Sat Jan 20, 2024, 12:30 pm ET MSG-B, BSSUN 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

30 minutes ago, Thorny said:

BREAKING

I’m hearing word the race has been called and we have a projection for 13:

Wait. Hold the phone. Keep the casserole in the crock pot. I am being told I am hearing Vice President Gore has NOT called Gov. Bush.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Heres what an experienced GM does. No settling for just OK.

Lane Lambert is probably wishing right about now that Adams was his GM and not Lamoriello.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nick Paul is an example of exactly the type of player we need to trade for, sign and draft. 

I agree, he and Goodrow, Colton, Hagel, Maroon, Perry, Coleman, Gourde, Jeannot have kept their bottom 6 gritty with some skill. These guys have the ability to move up the lineup and help on special teams. Paul and Goodrow played junior in North Bay, I watched them a lot, and have met Nick.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

46 games in, still haven't won three in a row. We're just gonna have to play out this string and hope something compels KA to move on from DG and his cracker jack staff after the season. I watched about 5 mins of the 3rd period today and turned it off. Apathy is setting in.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

They need experience.   I'm still hopefully that they back up the brinks truck for Brind'amour.   Yes, I know I'm living in a fantasy land 

We can hope that Carolina collapses in the playoffs and the owner wants a change.

Brind’Amour would be a good acquisition, Pegula should pay up if he has the chance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Wait. Hold the phone. Keep the casserole in the crock pot. I am being told I am hearing Vice President Gore has NOT called Gov. Bush.

Will never forget my 8th grade social studies teacher who’d talk about interesting world events at start of every class (best teacher I had):

”It looks like Gore is going to win it.”

It was actually that race that got me into US politics as a hobby 

12 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

46 games in, still haven't won three in a row. We're just gonna have to play out this string and hope something compels KA to move on from DG and his cracker jack staff after the season. I watched about 5 mins of the 3rd period today and turned it off. Apathy is setting in.

Why not for KA too... For misidentifying a core of players who are soft?

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Can anyone explain to me how Benson was penalized for doing something every player alive does?

This season in the end can be boiled down to the Powerplay being putrid. Our 5v5 scoring is Top 10 this year.

Terrible penalty call, but not surprising.  This team still isn't good.

It was a terrible giveaway in the 1st by my friend Mitts.  

56 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

How many former coaches is Terry still paying?

A lot. His best quality is his willingness to pay bad coaches after firing them.  His worst quality is his inability to hire a good coach.

And if you are worried about Terry's ability to pay fired coaches, don't.  Terry could pay the salary of every fired coach in every major sport and it wouldn't even form a small dent in his fortune.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Heres what an experienced GM does. No settling for just OK.

You don’t even need experience to do this.  You need accountability to met your goals and commitments, you need at every level.  

18 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Can anyone explain to me how Benson was penalized for doing something every player alive does?

This season in the end can be boiled down to the Powerplay being putrid. Our 5v5 scoring is Top 10 this year.

This is the sort of thinking that’s unfortunately, almost subconsciously part of exceedingly low expectations being ingrained. There are assuredly multiple factors contributing to why the season has been a failure thus far: to try and boil it down to one factor and act like it’s “problem identified” would be a colossal mis-assessment.

That’s where the low expectations come in. Our goals against is ranked 20th league wide. That’s not an issue? I guess it’s not, when if you get the perfect result you need from every position, you’ll finish 16th…which is sort of how we operate. If everything goes perfectly to plan and 6 players have career years at once, everything will be fine.

It’s overall team D. It’s the power play. It’s even strength scoring (not specifically 5 V 5), it was the goaltending for the first 41 games..it’s the coaching..the record is reflective of several factors 

Multiple factors is how you get a 13 year streak when the odds are theoretically 50/50 every year 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Columbus (28th) and Buffalo (26th) are tied for 5th (with Winnipeg (1st)) in 5 v 5 scoring. Ottawa (29th), is next.

It doesn’t really seem to correlate to anything on its own, the defensive variable seems to MORE than offset it.

Pretty interesting, tbh.

Defensive ranks, 5 v 5 goals against?

Winnipeg 1st

Buffalo 23rd

Ottawa 28th

Columbus 31st

If you had to guess the standings from a metric, take the inverse of goals against 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I’ve said this before.  I have seen gambling ruin marriages and kill families.  Stop promoting it.  I’m no prud but why is it necessary?  Let the gamblers go to the web and find what they need.  

Aren’t they getting paid to promote it?  

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I’ve said this before.  I have seen gambling ruin marriages and kill families.  Stop promoting it.  I’m no prud but why is it necessary?  Let the gamblers go to the web and find what they need.  

At best, it's a tax for people who can't do math. You can't win.

At worst, it can be those things you described.

If I'm in a position where my livelihood depended on the promotion of gambling, I'd find another job.

• Agree 1

This organization is a pathetic country club which is why Donny and his incompetent staff have jobs for life. Note how they no longer salute fans after their rare home wins after the Fire Donny chants? Too bad nobody in the local hockey media has the courage to point any of this out.

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Columbus (28th) and Buffalo (26th) are tied for 5th (with Winnipeg (1st)) in 5 v 5 scoring. Ottawa (29th), is next.

It doesn’t really seem to correlate to anything on its own, the defensive variable seems to MORE than offset it.

Pretty interesting, tbh.

Defensive ranks, 5 v 5 goals against?

Winnipeg 1st

Buffalo 23rd

Ottawa 28th

Columbus 31st

If you had to guess the standings from a metric, take the inverse of goals against 

Little easier to read:

5v5 goals for

Winnipeg t-5th
Buffalo t-5th
Columbus t-5th
Ottawa 8th 

5v5 goals against

Winnipeg 1st
Buffalo 23rd
Ottawa 28th
Columbus 31st

Points %

Winnipeg (1st)
Buffalo (26th)
Columbus (28th)
Ottawa (29th)

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

None.

Krueger’s Deal expired, as did Botterill’s 

They have no dead money on coaches or front office types. 

Primed for a sale

A Chris Sale-type hockey equivalent, shut-down defender added to the top 4 of our rotation