GDT: Sabres @ Pens - Sat. 7 pm ET, Jan 6, 2024 MSG-B, SN-PIT, ESPN+ 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

Great to win in regulation in a house of horrors.  

We had calls our way but I think they were technically correct.  UPL was excellent today and he brought the extra wide posts with him.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

Is goaltending turning into strength? 

It should. But let's be honest, the 3 break aways were very weak and the shots hit UPL's upper body a majority of the time. I'll let others fawn over the goaltending, I'm most impressed with the Sabres new look physical game. The Penguins are a geriatric team, and our boys took full advantage of that, taking the body all game and showing the old fuqs their time is up, it's over.

• Like (+1) 5

That might be the best hockey game they've been in since sometime middle of the year last year.  Both teams were skating.  Both got chances (the Pens for the most part better than the Sabres, but they both got chances).  Both got big saves.  Both were getting ridiculous penalties called on them (the refs were very fair, but they did call an awful lot of ticky tack penalties both ways).

It was a really fun game to watch.

For the 1st time ever, the Sabres have both Levi and UPL on their games.  Let's hope both can sustain it.  Levi played his best game of this year, and likely his best NHL game on Thursday in Moe-ray-all and UPL followed that up with his best game of the year, and likely his best NHL game ever.

The Sabres gave up a lot of chances, but UPL was up to the task and they did a reasonable job of clearing the relatively few rebounds out of high danger areas.

Once again, a really fun game to watch.  Would like to have been there.  And personally prefer that had one Pittsburgh team had to win and one lose tonight, wanted it to be this permutation of that finish.  The Sabres took care of business today; let the Bills take care of business tomorrow (or let Tenessee bail them out; Tennessee sent them onto the 17 year drought, IF they need help, it would be appropriate for those SOBs to finalize removing the Home Run Throw Forward curse 😉 ).

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Quick thoughts. Obviously, UPL was our big star. As someone else said this may be his best game ever. 

We were fortunate to get a win. But our guys hung in there. As previously mentioned, the video guys get a star for making the right calls. The replays showed that they were right. The Sabres struggled to get the puck out of their zone in the first period. UPL saved the bacon in that period. 

As with the previous game, our three pairings held strong. Our third pairing played solidly. No weak links in the defensive pairings. Clifton has been playing well.

Our team demonstrated a lot of fortitude. They hung in there although on balance I thought Pittsburgh had the edge in play. 

Crosby is still great. 

The Sabres had no lapses in this game. They played hard throughout. 

We got good goalie play in the past two games. We won both of them. That's the difference. When the goalies elevate their play, we are much more likely to win. 

Two games in a row. Let's build on it and get back into the fray. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Very impressed with UPL tonight. Looked very calm.

Maybe we have a pretty decent 1A and a pretty decent 1B, but until 4F was removed from the room they couldn't settle in?

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The net was empty, but it wasn’t an empty net goal. Almost a save by Jarry.

It was for all intents and purposes an ENG, but will still count against Jarry's stats.  I think that's hilarious.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Is goaltending turning into strength? 

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.  We know both our guys are capable of great goaltending.  Now let's see if they can cut back on laying an egg now and again.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres had no lapses in this game. They played hard throughout. 

There were a few periods when the Sabres just couldn't clear the zone, but to their credit, neither did they lose their defensive structure in the zone.  As far as all three pairs being solid, I think one way to protect them is to play aggressive offensively, as in make that long outlet pass.  I think with their "focus on defense" earlier this year, all three forwards were staying closer in, and those "passes" turned into icings, or into weaker passes (i.e., didn't want to ice it) that were intercepted.  The aggressive counterstrike offense actually is a good defensive tactic.  Now that they're back to run & gun we're seeing that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.