Official :WHL Trade Matt Savoie is being traded to MooseJaw

Brawndo

Savoie’s team is in 2nd place. Swift Current is middle of the pack in the other division.

So this trade would be about 2 things:

1) Wild have no picks so moving Savoie they would recoup a bunch of them even by sacrificing this season.

2) Or Savoie doesn’t want to play in the U.S. in Washington and asked to be moved.

Edited by Flashsabre

15 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Savoie’s team is in 2nd place. Swift Current is middle of the pack in the other division.

So this trade would be about 2 things:

1) Wild have no picks so moving Savoie they would recoup a bunch of them even by sacrificing this season.

2) Or Savoie doesn’t want to play in the U.S. in Washington and asked to be moved.

Swift Current is closer to his home near Edmonton.

42 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It feels like Savoie is a guy that's not gonna pan out.   The only thing he's proven is that he can't stay healthy, hope he proves me wrong.

He played 65 and 62 games in the whl the last two years but hey, don't let that ruin a good narrative. 

23 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

lacks number one ability:

availability

Not even true. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Rumor:WHL Trade Matt Savoie is being traded to MooseJaw

I understand trades, but they're still kids who mostly billet with families, supposedly still in school. Many questions which I don't the answers. If they sign with the draft club, do they get the bonus?... Over 18 do they get their own housing?... 

Just asking... It's seems like a lot to put on kid still.

Edited by Standing Room Smoking Cigs
new wording

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It feels like Savoie is a guy that's not gonna pan out.   The only thing he's proven is that he can't stay healthy, hope he proves me wrong.

No doubt that Benson is more NHL-ready than Savoie, despite being drafted a year later and being drafted at a later slot in the first round.  Different players develop at different paces, so hopefully Savoie will make up that ground.  I don't think Savoie showed much during the AHL playoffs last year or in his few games with the Sabres this season.  I think he did OK during his conditioning stint in Rochester.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, kas23 said:

Would’ve been better on the Amerks instead of being dicked around in WHL. 

I have a solution to this CHL issue. The CHL teams want to keep the players to protect the league but it's also to make money. As you see, when the CHL team doesn't think they can win, or wants to tank, they have non-issue moving these kids for compensation. The problem with moving them to the NHL is they get nothing out of it. If there were an agreement in place where NHL teams could buy out the CHL contract the CHL teams would be more open to it. Make the fee high enough so that NHL teams would really have to think about doing it and would only do it for exceptional players but not so high that it never happens at all. Maybe have the fee tiered based on how many eligible years you are buying out, 2 costs more than one. What would you all feel is a reasonable fee in this scenario? 500k USD per season of eligibility?  For example, Moose Jaw had about 750k in the bank and an operating loss of 280k (both presumably CAD) at the end of last season.  A 500k air drop of cash into the franchise would be huge for them.  It also gives the big clubs more of a way to control player development.  You really don't want your guy going to a second tier club for the second half of his second season of eligibility? Fork over the cash and he can go to the A instead.  

Edited by Contempt
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

No doubt that Benson is more NHL-ready than Savoie, despite being drafted a year later and being drafted at a later slot in the first round.  Different players develop at different paces, so hopefully Savoie will make up that ground.  I don't think Savoie showed much during the AHL playoffs last year or in his few games with the Sabres this season.  I think he did OK during his conditioning stint in Rochester.

Benson is the better player now and was the better player last season with the ICE.

I hope Savoie sticks with the Wild so I can see him in Seattle later this month. But... it appears Moose Jaw does make an appearance in Seattle later in the season as well. I just want to see what he looks like when Benson isn't on his line (and the best player on the team).

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Benson is the better player now and was the better player last season with the ICE.

I hope Savoie sticks with the Wild so I can see him in Seattle later this month. But... it appears Moose Jaw does make an appearance in Seattle later in the season as well. I just want to see what he looks like when Benson isn't on his line (and the best player on the team).

He’s got 24 points in the 11 games he’s played with Wanatchee, so that might be an indication how he’s doing without Benson so far. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

He’s got 24 points in the 11 games he’s played with Wanatchee, so that might be an indication how he’s doing without Benson so far. 

Yup. And I was looking forward to seeing him be an absolute dynamo out there. Hopefully against Ratzlaff, just for the kicks.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I have a solution to this CHL issue. The CHL teams want to keep the players to protect the league but it's also to make money. As you see, when the CHL team doesn't think they can win, or wants to tank, they have non-issue moving these kids for compensation. The problem with moving them to the NHL is they get nothing out of it. If there were an agreement in place where NHL teams could buy out the CHL contract the CHL teams would be more open to it. Make the fee high enough so that NHL teams would really have to think about doing it and would only do it for exceptional players but not so high that it never happens at all. Maybe have the fee tiered based on how many eligible years you are buying out, 2 costs more than one. What would you all feel is a reasonable fee in this scenario? 500k USD per season of eligibility?

This could work. The CHL doesn’t like letting these types of players go because it worsens their league. With less flashy players on the ice, there’s less butts in the seats. You are correct, it’s just about money, not player development. Compensation for their potential loss in revenue may work. 

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

This could work. The CHL doesn’t like letting these types of players go because it worsens their league. With less flashy players on the ice, there’s less butts in the seats. You are correct, it’s just about money, not player development. Compensation for their potential loss in revenue may work. 

And if people feel like there need to be limits that's fine too. Maybe club can only have x amount of dollars spent in that way at any given time. 1M seemed like a good number to me, that's 2 years of 1 guy or 1 year of 2 guys at the same time.  If a whole bunch of teams did this, sure, the older better but not Bedard level players would be out of the CHL but it would also be a HUGE cash infusion for the league, create an incentive to develop guys in year one so teams buy them out year 2, and provide a counterargument for players who choose to avoid the CHL entirely right now to avoid this problem.

• Like (+1) 1

The Ice/Wild WHL franchise is in their first year in Wenatchee. I’m sure their management would love to go for it, but long-term it maybe makes more sense to try and build something bigger for 3-4 years down the road. Maybe they keep everyone and take a run if Benson had been sent back.

I’m not a huge fan of trading 16-19 year old kids mid-season. Savoie has been through a lot of moves though and players of his status get the best billet homes. He will be taken care of. 

Moose Jaw will be loaded with fun players to watch in the 2nd half. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.