Eric Comrie clears Waivers; Assigned to Rochester

Brawndo

I think we should grab Samsonov. He's a good goalie at a bargain price.

Leafs broke him in the playoffs because, like our Swords, they rely on their goalies to carry the burden of Team Defense. He is a playoff-borne goalie capable of stealing games at best. At his worst (now), his confidence is dismal. He was definitely injured some time during round 2 last year, which may be an issue moving forward. Let him take the 1A spot while UPL plays 1B, with Levi in Roch and occasional 1C.

Letting Tokarski play would be a massive backstep and a waste of opportunity to try on a 1A which we desperately need.

Sam's career stats are great. He's in a short-term post-playoffs slump. He's 26. I'm fully confident he can bounce back into the 1A spot for at least 2 years. He'd also come at a discount at re-sign because he is hugely undervalued at present. Think of him like an Ullmark, but more tenacious and younger.

Conclusion: Strong Buy.

Screenshot_20231231_172313_Chrome.jpg

Edited by seer775
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, seer775 said:

I think we should grab Samsonov. He's a good goalie at a bargain price.

Leafs broke him in the playoffs because, like our Swords, they rely on their goalies to carry the burden of Team Defense. He is a playoff-borne goalie capable of stealing games at best. At his worst (now), his confidence is dismal. He was definitely injured some time during round 2 last year, which may be an issue moving forward. Let him take the 1A spot while UPL and Levi rotate in Roch.

Letting Tokarski play would be a massive backstep and a waste of opportunity to try on a 1A which we desperately need.

Sam's career stats are great. He's in a short-term post-playoffs slump. He's 26. I'm fully confident he can bounce back into the 1A spot for at least 3 years. He'd also come at a discount at re-sign because he is hugely undervalued at present. Think of him like an Ullmark, but more tenacious and younger.

Conclusion: Strong Buy.

Screenshot_20231231_172313_Chrome.jpg

As someone who lives in Toronto and watches all his games, no you are not confident he can rebound. He has been downright awful. Worse than the 3 goalies the Sabres have. Washington punted him for a reason and now the Leafs do too. If you want awful goaltending then keep Comrie and save the money.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

They're still $11MM under the cap.  Having those guys on the roster in Buffalo or Ra-cha-cha didn't prevent them from signing anybody they might've wanted to sign.  

Heck, they start worrying about the cap floor if they don't have those guys.

Imagine if we had spent that money wisely.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

As someone who lives in Toronto and watches all his games, no you are not confident he can rebound. He has been downright awful. Worse than the 3 goalies the Sabres have. Washington punted him for a reason and now the Leafs do too. If you want awful goaltending then keep Comrie and save the money.

You forgot Ilya played an amazing reg season with the Leafs and carried them into the 2nd round. It happens that Woll is also a very good goalie, otherwise the Leafs never would've made it to game 5 against the Panthers.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Claim Samsonov.  

Y’all are laughing, but when was the last time Buffalo had a goalie with 42 starts, a 2.33 GAA and a .919 save %? Those were Samsonov’s stats from last season.  In his career he has played 146 games with a 2.77 GAA and a .903 save % and that includes his tough year this season.  Ullmark gave us 117 games with a 2.78 and a .912.

This would be a no risk pick up, who at 26 could end up being a steal.  He is a UFA after this season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, seer775 said:

You forgot Ilya played an amazing reg season with the Leafs and carried them into the 2nd round. It happens that Woll is also a very good goalie, otherwise the Leafs never would've made it to game 5 against the Panthers.

But you’re not picking up that goalie you are picking up the current version of him. And the Sabres don’t play a defensive style that would allow him to maybe find himself.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Y’all are laughing, but when was the last time Buffalo had a goalie with 42 starts, a 2.33 GAA and a .919 save %? Those were Samsonov’s stats from last season.  In his career he has played 146 games with a 2.77 GAA and a .903 save % and that includes his tough year this season.  Ullmark gave us 117 games with a 2.78 and a .912.

This would be a no risk pick up, who at 26 could end up being a steal.  He is a UFA after this season.

So back to 3 Gs again?  Note

Moving UPL? Ei

Levi to ROCH? Nah

This Was the discussion to be had by Pro Player Personnel & GMKA in off season.  

I sense Levi/UPL 

Star Wars GIF

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

But you’re not picking up that goalie you are picking up the current version of him. And the Sabres don’t play a defensive style that would allow him to maybe find himself.

I see an undervalued and underperforming 1A goalie at a bargain price.

We know for sure that Levi/UPL are not ready for the NHL. Why not take a chance on a real NHL goalie at a tiny cost in the meantime?

Edited by seer775

1 hour ago, ... said:

They could waive UPL as well and be doing themselves a favor. Waive Krebs and trade Power, too, since they're in the mood to act like a pro organization at the moment.

They'd lose UPL if they waived him.  Can't see them being willing to do that at this point.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Watch for it and The Great Satan will claim Eric The Not So Great.

Until you stop referring to Toronto as a former Sabre, they are never going to win.  You are giving them too much credit.  The Sabres don’t even care as much about Toronto as you do. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Claim him and send Levi down. 

Friedman reported there is differing opinions in the Sabres Front Office on whether Levi should be in the NHL or AHL this season. 
Marek followed up by saying that sending Levi down would show a shift in organizational thinking. 
Let Him develop in AHL where he belongs. 
Have UPL and Samsonov in Buffalo and if the latter continues on His present trajectory bring Comrie back up 

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Claim him and send Levi down. 

Friedman reported there is differing opinions in the Sabres Front Office on whether Levi should be in the NHL or AHL this season. 
Marek followed up by saying that sending Levi down would show a shift in organizational thinking. 
Let Him develop in AHL where he belongs. 
Have UPL and Samsonov in Buffalo and if the latter continues on His present trajectory bring Comrie back up 

I am perfectly ok with that.  This season is done anyway.  Might as well let Samsonov (if claimed) and UPL share the net, play out the season, and see if one emerges as one of the goaltenders for next season. At least we know that Samsonov has good NHL play in his pedigree and can hold down the net for 50% of a season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

At this stage it would take a miracle for Buffalo to make the playoffs but I think Levi should 100% be sent down to Rochester where he can work on his game, it was really dumb from the beginning to think he could handle this type of work right out of the gate since i believe the only 2 to do this were Carey Price and Marc Andre Fleury if I'm not mistaken. Claim Samsanov, see if he can find himself and if not we've lost nothing at all imo, try any sort of spark at this point because this season seems like another disaster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

At this stage it would take a miracle for Buffalo to make the playoffs but I think Levi should 100% be sent down to Rochester where he can work on his game, it was really dumb from the beginning to think he could handle this type of work right out of the gate since i believe the only 2 to do this were Carey Price and Marc Andre Fleury if I'm not mistaken. Claim Samsanov, see if he can find himself and if not we've lost nothing at all imo, try any sort of spark at this point because this season seems like another disaster.

Samsonov is worse than Comrie. No. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.