GDT: Sabres @ Bruins - Thurs. 7pm, Dec 7, 2023, MSG/ESPN+ 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You know why Levi was so effective tonight? Because the Sabres played solid defense. It makes all the difference. Think about it. There wasn't a single breakaway or Bruin hanging out untouched by the crease tonight.

It’s also because Levi played really well. I caught a ton of breakdowns in the 3rd where he came up huge. I’ll say it every time: it’s both. Simply crediting team D when the goalie plays well and then saying “not even prime hasek could have saved our bacon with that D” every time they don’t just devalues the position in its entirety.

No idea why we want to always pin it on one thing: you need good D and good goaltending. Goaltending has not been good enough overall. Tonight it was 

Don’t undersell what Levi did. He made a couple saves off deflections that if (when) Comrie had let in, we’d say “can’t blame him, deflection.” You can also just make the save. As we saw today 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s also because Levi played really well. I caught a ton of breakdowns in the 3rd where he came up huge. I’ll say it every time: it’s both. Simply crediting team D when the goalie plays well and then saying “not even prime hasek could have saved our bacon with that D” every time they don’t just devalues the position in its entirety.

No idea why we want to always pin it on one thing: you need good D and good goaltending. Goaltending has not been good enough overall. Tonight it was 

Don’t undersell what Levi did. He made a couple saves off deflections that if (when) Comrie had let in, we’d say “can’t blame him, deflection.” You can also just make the save. As we saw today 

Following up on this, I know we don’t like Jack Edwards, but I had that feed today and he knows what he’s taking about more than Ray (lol) and Dan. Bruins players were shooting wide on the PP and Edwards was calling attention to the fact Levi’s quick reflexes to get into position was forcing the wide shots by cutting off the angle. Those don’t even register as a shot, or save. But a lesser performance from the tender would have a slower adjustment by the goalie, a wide open net for the shooter, and talk about how the goalie had “no chance” because the D left their man open 

you don’t notice these things because A) or goalies are usually bad B) our guys don’t point out anything useful on air C) it’s the chances that never even happen that primly illustrate the goalie talent. “What could he have even done”. The reason this question gets asked is B/c people don’t know what the good ones are doing. 

just rewatch DL’s game today and learn 

• Like (+1) 7

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No underselling on my part. Levi was solid late. Maybe it was because he wasn't worn out from a shooting gallery and breakaway drill the first two periods. You need both. You won't last long with one being good and one being bad.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Power and Samuelson deserve credit today.    Stepped up 

now they have to continue this play when Dahlin returns 

Thought the same. Muel seems to have been able to steady power a bit more than Joker. Although he had a couple bone head plays out of position.

I would seriously consider permanently moving Ryan Johnson up with Dahlin. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I did say it would take a miracle performance by our goaltender.  Levi stopped 29 of 30 for a .967 save %.  If we got that kind of goaltending every night we'd be one of the best teams in the NHL.  Sadly, that's only the 11th game this season we have received 900 or better goaltending, and not surprisingly that is only the team's 11th win.

They didn't win that on goaltending. Ullmark made far more tough saves than Levi did on the night.

The Bruins were being outshot 22-6 at one point in the 2nd period 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You know why Levi was so effective tonight? Because the Sabres played solid defense. It makes all the difference. Think about it. There wasn't a single breakaway or Bruin hanging out untouched by the crease tonight.

Levi was also very good tonight.  The Bruins, according to Natural Stat trick, had 10 high danger chances to our 8 and had an expected goals of 2.63 to our 2.35. The Bruins also lead in scoring chances 34 to 27.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Levi was also very good tonight.  The Bruins, according to Natural Stat trick, had 10 high danger chances to our 8 and had an expected goals of 2.63 to our 2.35. The Bruins also lead in scoring chances 34 to 27.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/

Is it common to have more scoring chances than shots on goal? I honestly never really noticed. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Is it common to have more scoring chances than shots on goal? I honestly never really noticed. 

Yes, Scoring chances can still be counted if a puck is blocked by a defender or say a rebound is tipped wide.  Neither results in a shot on goal, but both are excellent scoring opportunities.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes, Scoring chances can still be counted if a puck is blocked by a defender or say a rebound is tipped wide.  Neither results in a shot on goal, but both are excellent scoring opportunities.

Hitting the post from the slot is also the classic scoring chance that isn’t a shot.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thanks. I’ve always understood these things, just never thought it was that common to have more scoring chances than actual shots in a game. 

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Thought the same. Muel seems to have been able to steady power a bit more than Joker. Although he had a couple bone head plays out of position.

I would seriously consider permanently moving Ryan Johnson up with Dahlin. 

I think he played few shifts with Dahlin already in games I saw.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I heard Bruin fans booing 

I saw Sabres harass Marchand 

I don’t fear Boston.  We can pass these guys by. 

One of my favorite things that tickled me watching some highlights was the Bruin chasing VO on his breakaway. Don't know if he was just completely gassed, or a big, slow D man. or both, but you could just sense the futility in his skating, then see it as he turns around after the goal.  A close second, can't remember which goal now, but a few Sabres are celebrating in front of the net and you can see a woman in a Sabres jersey in the background stand up and grab her jersey showing her colors. Brief shot, but gave me a smile.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Stormcloudmember66 said:

I have to say it was very nice to see the Sabres with their foot on the gas from beginning to end. Even without a few key folks they looked quick and dangerous. The PP really hurts without Dahlin though. Now, the key is doing this Sat against the Habs or it really means nothing.

They need to do this the next 3 games in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.